Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Discovery Channel's: Planet Earth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovery Channel's: Planet Earth
    Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 15:11
Has anyone watched this documentary that has all these pictures of animals, plants, and places from HDTV cameras? I love watching this show!
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 02:24
Yes it is great isn't it Ponce? I'd have to rank it as the top nature documentary in terms of photography/filming, grand scale and diversity. It covers such a brilliant array of life on earth, as well as the abiotic aspects of our planet too.
Do you have the DVDs (there are 4) Ponce? At the end of each episode on the DVDs are a 10 minute "Making of" mini-documentary. It recounts the antics of the cameramen and the work that went into making a segment of the episode. Some (well, most) show the extreme patience and perseverance of the nature photographers - they are crazy!
I recall my favourite "Making of" mini-documentary, that of episode 8, 'Jungles'. It documents the life of the cameraman filming the scene with the Birds of Paradise in Papua New Guinea. He ends up spending over 100 hours in small rainforest 'hide', waiting for the females to arrive. He starts to go delusional, and gets the 80's tune "My Bird of Paradise" in his head, driving him nuts. They get the few moments of filming in the end, and everyone is overjoyed. There are other rather entertaining ones too, such as that of Episode 10 'Seasonal Forests'.
I highly recommend this series to everyone, even if you are the least interested in animals/plants/environment, as the sheer magnitude of the visuals, and the photography (film) is breathtaking. 10/10

Here is a brief overview of the series:
Episode 1: From Pole to Pole
Episode 2: Mountains
Episode 3: Freshwater
Episode 4: Caves
Episode 5: Deserts
Episode 6: Ice Worlds
Episode 7: Great Plains
Episode 8: Jungles
Episode 9: Shallow Seas
Episode 10: Seasonal Forest
Episode 11: Ocean Deep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/planetearth/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_(TV_series)

- Knights -
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 21:32
Yea I watch all the episodes every sunday. My favorite one is the bird trying to attract its mate by dancing and like blowing up his face feathers! When me and my friends watched this we like said "Now walk it out, now walk it out!" SO funny
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 22:11
That was the most hilarious scene. We (Praetor and I) dubbed that thing the "Billboard Bird" - it so looks like a billboard with a huge smiley face in the middle!

I believe they got footage of the Blue Bird of Paradise, Six Plumed Bird of Paradise and Superb Bird of Paradise (See below - Billboard bird)

Video Footage (not directly from Planet Earth)

Any other favourite scenes? I have a couple of all time favourites Smile

- Knights -
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 12:08
I guess my other favorite scene was when they show that shark around south africa catching that seal in mid-air in slow motion. That was nuts. Absolutely nuts
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 18:34
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I guess my other favorite scene was when they show that shark around south africa catching that seal in mid-air in slow motion. That was nuts. Absolutely nuts

..i would have to agree with you there PDL...that was my favourite moment from the series, and most interesting to watch the 'making of' at the end of that episode...

....a great documentary series and quite beautiful to look at..especially as i was lucky enough to watch it on a friends HD television...one day i will get the DVD's..... 
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 07:05
Yeh the Great White scene was spectacular, especially due to the slow motion footage...
I have to say, my favourite scenes of the whole series (other than those already mentioned) are the Snow Leopard (Episode 2 - Mountains), African Hunting Dogs on the hunt (Episode 1 or 3...unsure), a lot of the footage from freshwater episode especially going off the Angel Falls drop off, the Amur Leopard, and plenty of others!
If you ever get the DVD, the 'Making of' 10 minute mini-documentary at the end of episode 10 is quite hilarious...and Englishmen and a Frenchman in a hot air balloon in Madagascar...Big%20smile

- Knights -
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 13:47
wait I have one more favorite scene that I just remembered. That red squid that lives like really really deep in the ocean. I think it was called the vampire squid. And when the submarine shut off the lights that thing glowed and was so scary and cool at the same time
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 18:33
That thing is crazy. It's scientific name is Vampyroteuthis infernalis, which translates to "Vampire squid from hell" Evil%20Smile. Bioluminescence is pretty awesome, especially in something like that, or some jellyfish in the ocean deep.

Planet Earth Clip of Vampyroteuthis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 20:35
Originally posted by Knights

If you ever get the DVD, the 'Making of' 10 minute mini-documentary at the end of episode 10 is quite hilarious...and Englishmen and a Frenchman in a hot air balloon in Madagascar...Big%20smile

- Knights -

..ha ha!!..oh yes, i think i remember that now, the bit where they crashed into a tree, i believe it was the French guys creation and the English chap was a wee bit unsure of the Frenchman's ability to steer the contraption!!!!....and he was proved correct....!!!!....quality entertainment and all in a good cause....
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 20:51
Yes, it was good fun to watch Smile I loved the Cameraman's (English) sarcastic nature, quite funny. And when the exhaust broke, they got it fixed at a local street welder - top quality job! Ermm 
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 00:43
After just posting about this in the wrong thread I am glad I found the right one.  I haven't seen all of the episodes but of the ones I have seen my favorites (the program is of such quality its hard to even pick a favorite) are the amur leopard chasing prey in the snow on what is basically a cliff, simply amazing!  Also as already mentioned the scene of white sharks going airborn for seals.  If I'm not mistaken I saw them doing this is a program earlier in the year, off the coast of a small island off south africa, apparently that is the only place in the world where the sharks jump out of the water.

I have to add that I am watching the shark attack scene on the discovery channel at this very moment.Tongue

Edited by Justinian - 19-Jul-2007 at 00:45
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2007 at 03:21
Nice stuff Justinian! I think you are confusing the Snow Leopard with the Amur leopard. The Snow Leopard is the one who chases the Markhor down the hill, while the Amur Leopard is the on in the forest that finds the dead deer. Never mind, both equally amazing segments and creatures!
The sharks are just great...such power! Yes as far as we know only the Great Whites around Gaansbal (sp?) in South Africa are the only jumpers.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2007 at 21:27
You're right.Embarrassed

I mean't the snow leopard; just bought the dvd's and to my suprise its narrated by attenborough.Big%20smile  I went to costco (its a discount store with pretty much everything but you have to be a member) and didn't even notice until I heard his voice.LOL  This is great, sigourney weaver is okay, but I have been an attenborough fan for years.Thumbs%20Up

Odd thing was they had the british version (or bbc america as they called it) but not the american one, well I'm not complaining.  These chain retail stores probably get really good deals on stuff like this.

Edited by Justinian - 20-Jul-2007 at 21:30
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2007 at 07:20
Excellent! I'd have Attenborough over any other narrator, any day. He is the epitome of nature documentaries, and is still going strong at 81! Have you seen Life of Mammals, Life of Birds, Trials of Life or Life on Earth before?
As far as I know "Life in Cold Blood" (Amphibian and Reptile equivalent of Life of Birds/Mammals) is planned for release in 2008. Looking forward to it.
 Post Reply Post Reply