Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Explain to me the largest desert on Earth!#@$R#@%$

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explain to me the largest desert on Earth!#@$R#@%$
    Posted: 16-Apr-2007 at 22:39
Please, if anyone can. Tell me how the Sahara desert form into being one of todays largest deserts. And if you can, try not to spell it as dessert.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Apr-2007 at 00:22
Well, probably you can find out more about this online. I read many articles previously and all what I remember for now is that the Sahara desert and the Arabian deserts were up to the late Holocene period wetter (more wet) as evident by the collected bones and cave art and rock art of both of the Sahara and the Arabian peninsula. In fact, the deserfication process was not clear till the past 4,000 years.
If I can recall, BBC had an old documentary that prooves the holy land was much greener during the Christ time than now.
Now to the question why it turned out desert lately, the answer can be provided by answering the question, how did they turn green before? the Monsoon that hits the Indian Subcontinent used to extend beyond the Arab Sea and reaches all the way to the Sahara. Some say it is caused by an increase of earth temperature that in return, strengthened the Monsoon. Others argue that Earth's axis was different in which all climate regions were shifted north.
I cannot give you exact example of the Sahara (but others here can probably). However, many sites in Saudi Arabia today depict a totally different climate and human activity than what it is now in presence. In Jubbah (a local village in Northern Saudi Arabia), the surrounding moutains depict drawings and carving of oxes, lions, hunters, and kings wearing ostrich feather. Not to mention the burried lakes and river beds under the sands of the Empty quarter. Similar findings are easy to find in the Saharah no doubt.
Check this webiste for more about the Sahara and the Arabian desert (includig maps of different epochs of both deserts):
http://www.esd.ornl.gov/projects/qen/nercAFRICA.html
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 12:45
The simple answer is lack of rainfall.

The world went through a major change about 11,000 years ago as the climate warmed and the huge ice sheets that covered much of the northern hemishpere retreated. This resulted in a change in the paths of prevailing winds and the jet stream. The Sahara region began to receive less and less precipatation as a result of this shift.

The Sahara also produces it's own weather effect which accelerates this process, as it gets larger it's able to grow faster.

Edited by DukeC - 19-Apr-2007 at 12:46
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:46
I have long known the solution to turning the Sahara into a paradise:
1. Make a bunch of hydrogen fuel cell cars
2. Drive all over the Sahara so the exaust (water vapor) is released and forms rainclouds.
3. Continue driving until the Sahara is able to form its own rain clouds.

Big%20smile
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2009 at 10:40
Actually the largest desert on Earth is, Antartica! It merely depends upon what one considers a desert?
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
RC1944 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RC1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2010 at 22:24
A more technical explanation is that the Sahara is caused by the fact that it lies in the centre of a high pressure air system caused by air descending from the equatorial zone.  What happens is that air near the equator is heated by the sun and flows north and south.  As it does so it cools at high elevations and begins to descend, coming to earth about 30 degrees north and south of the equator.  This descending air warms as it falls and dries up the region over which it flows thus creating the Sahara Desert.  This dry area extends around the world at this latitude.  If you look at a map you will see that Mexico has deserts in the same latitude as does the USA.  South of the equator there are corresponding deserts in Australia and Africa.
These large high pressure areas often feature regions areas of calm air known historically as the Horse Latitudes or doldrums.  They were featured in Colleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. 

That is simple explantion.  If you want more detail consult a website on climatology.  This may help.
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/climate.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply