Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 21 Dead in Virginia Tech shooting
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:20
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Perhaps a separate thread about gun-control/ownership should be created?

I agree.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 14:36

Few days ago, i heard in the radio, that the most popular career wish among the german youth is to become a pathologist. If they want to act like Eric Delko (CSI Miami) they have to produce more victims. In as far we are on a good way.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 19-Apr-2007 at 14:37

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

I agree.

Good idea.

This thread should be about remembering the people who lost their lives and supporting the survivors.

Edited by DukeC - 19-Apr-2007 at 15:10
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 17:40
Originally posted by DukeC

I agree.

Good idea.

This thread should be about remembering the people who lost their lives and supporting the survivors.

Good luck.  Once the opportunity to bust balls is exhausted, the ball busters will move on to other things - just like locusts in a field.  Wink

That really is too bad.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 19:08
Originally posted by Northman

So you guys wants to wheel back time to the Good Old West - each man his own safety? 
No law and order - just the law of the jungle - kill or be killed?
Is that the vision you have for a future USA? 
I would have expected more refined thinking patterns from the cream of american youngsters - like you guys.

Don't you realise that, if the criminals can expect every civilian to carry a handgun, they will arm themselves with machineguns, and your concealed cal. 32 will have the same effect as a peagun - if you ever get a chance to use it?
But then of course, YOU will get a machinegun - right?

I see your point, but I rather have something to protect myself rather than being massacred like the victims. And yes, I would prefer to have a machinegun rather than being shot like a dog.

Rumur is that he was looking for someone when he started the massacre. And he shot the dead bodies again. Crazy kid...Dead

Join us.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 21:06

Originally posted by DukeC

I agree.

Good idea.

Good luck.  Once the opportunity to bust balls is exhausted, the ball busters will move on to other things - just like locusts in a field.  Wink

That really is too bad.

Since Adalwolf suggested, and established, a thread on gun laws and control, there have been like 38 posts there, to 3 or 4 in the original Virginia Tech thread.

So much for giving a crap for the slain students and teachers of the university.  What a load of insincere, opinionated opportunism.  What a bunch of phonies.

Disgusting.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 00:51
When all is said and done, James is alive and well, something that more than a few of us here weren't sure about a few days ago.

Edited by DukeC - 20-Apr-2007 at 00:54
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 02:36
The shooter is simply frustrated... This event confirmed the idea I read in Social Psychology long ago... Frustration leads to violance... Violance is the most common violance among those frustrated.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:03

Frustration leads to violance

Correction frustration leads to stress, stress may lead to violence against yourself or others but it can also lead into a spiral of repression and psychosis.....uh wait I'm just making the same point aren't I?
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 03:53

I don't follow you pikeshot, since when is this thread intended to offer sympathy? I had the impression that threads in this forum are to discuss the events and the reasons that led to them.

Since Adalwolf suggested, and established, a thread on gun laws and control, there have been like 38 posts there, to 3 or 4 in the original Virginia Tech thread.

So much for giving a crap for the slain students and teachers of the university.  What a load of insincere, opinionated opportunism.  What a bunch of phonies.

Disgusting.

I can see that you're emotional but try to get a grip and not to insult others for not having the same mindset or sensitivities as you.
I admit that I don't feel much sympathy for people I don't actually know, I mean people die around us every day and there's not much I can do about it. 15 kids died in Egypt in a car crash, more than 200 civilians died yesterday in Iraq from car bombs etc. I'm interested in discussing the events, not in offering sympathy that I don't genuine feel and which is  -frankly- quite useless.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 05:49
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

The shooter is simply frustrated... This event confirmed the idea I read in Social Psychology long ago... Frustration leads to violance... Violance is the most common violance among those frustrated.

He was obviously frustrated. They're saying it's probably a biological psychiatric disorder, but he was probably just pushed too far. I read one article where he wouldn't read aloud in class because everyone laughed at his accent when he did. He was probably ostracized, perhaps racism played its part, but it still doesnt excuse what he did, of course.

Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 08:00
Yiannis,

The first comment about remembrance and support was made by another forumer, not me.

Your comment that you admit you don't feel much sympathy for people you don't know is revealing.

Don't you dare criticize me for the way I think.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 09:00

Yiannis,

The first comment about remembrance and support was made by another forumer, not me.

Apologies, I misquoted you....

Your comment that you admit you don't feel much sympathy for people you don't know is revealing.

I admit that if a tragedy does not affect me personally, then it is only an event. I feel bad that hundreds of thousands have died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki and I'm sure the families of the dead of 9/11 are still mourning, still to me, sad as they may be and as I feel them to be, these are just events that do not effect me personally and therefore I cannot pretend to be profoundly touched by them.

This fact does not make me by itself a better or worse person than the next one, it's just my way of dealing with my environment.

Don't you dare criticize me for the way I think.  

Never crossed my mind to do so. I know you (and vice versa) for quite some time and respect both your opinions and the way you express them. I may disagree at some points, still this is quite healthy for debate's sake, I think.
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 12:09
Originally posted by Yiannis

[QUOTE=pikeshot1600]

I posted that, as one of our members here actually has to deal with the personal affects of this tragedy. Shouldn't there be special considerations for his feelings.

Edited by DukeC - 20-Apr-2007 at 12:10
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2007 at 13:15
Maybe we should lock this thread and have one thread for remembering people and one for gun control.

After all, it was the pro-gun side that brought the issue up. And if I remember correctly, some of those who are demanding respect for the death were all for the pro-gun discussion.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 13:33
We shoudl change the title. It's 32. Well, 33 if you include the killer.

Join us.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 05:57
Well already a game has been made about the incident.

Anger over Aussie's V-Tech massacre game
Wednesday May 16 19:38 AEST

A 21-year-old Sydney man has created the first known computer game based on the recent shooting spree at Virginia Tech university in the US, sparking a wave of criticism.
The game follows Cho Seung-hui's killing spree at Virginia Tech in April, in which he killed 32 people before turning a gun on himself.
The game's creator, Ryan Lambourn, who lives in Sydney's west, says he won't remove the game from his own website or seek to have it removed from amateur game sharing site Newgrounds.com.
Called V-Tech Rampage, the game can be freely downloaded from either site and has made headlines in Australia as well causing a stir on a number of blogs and online news sites around the world.

Mr Lambourn on Wednesday backpedalled on previous demands for money in exchange for the game's deletion, describing the ransom as a joke.
He had said on his website googumproduce.com that he would only remove V-Tech Rampage from the Newgrounds website if he received a $US1,000 ($A1,200) "donation".
For $US2,000 ($A2,400) he would remove it from his own website and for $US3,000 ($A3,600) he would apologise for the stunt.
He said no one had taken him up on his offer.
"That's exactly the point I was trying to prove," Mr Lambourn said.
"These people talk and talk and are angry and are telling me `you have to take it down, it should be taken down, you gotta take it down' and no one's even come near it because they'd rather talk about it."
The unemployed man said he created the game for "laughs" and that he had previously composed music relating to other events such as Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and the death of Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin last year.
He said the game was supposed to provide an insight into the killer's mindset.
"What he did was caused by something," he said.
"From what I do know about him, from his plays, from what he did to prepare for it, he's very human, fragile.
"From what I can tell he's probably having a hard home life."
Mr Lambourn said he would not take down the game under any circumstances, including if he received a request from the victims' families.
"I'm afraid not," he said, but added: "I hope they'd never do that."
He said he empathised with the killer and that he, like Cho, had been a victim of abuse and bullying at high school.
Mr Lambourn was born in Australia but grew up in the US before returning to Australia when he was 14.
He said he left school in the eighth grade having been bullied and abused at several institutions in Texas, Maine, New Jersey, New York and North Carolina.
He described himself as a self-taught animator who was supported financially by his mother who still lives in the US.
V-Tech Rampage resembles another production that followed the Columbine massacre in 1999, in which two students killed 12 people before turning their weapons on themselves in a shooting spree at the Colorado high school.
Daniele Ledonne, who made Super Columbine Massacre RPG (SCMRPG), said he was "torn" over whether he should distance his game from V-Tech Rampage and its creator.
Mr Ledonne said SCMRPG was never a for-profit endeavour and that he had never demanded cash in exchange for the game's removal from the internet.
Meanwhile, Newgrounds is yet to remove the game but has created a forum for users to discuss the issue.

and here is a link to the game: http://googumproduce.com/vtech.php
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:53
What a sick person. Making a videogame over a tragic loss of life and goes even further to say he empathizes with a mentally ill killer... Sounds like someone should set him straight and make him think twice before he brings further hurt to families.
Creating a game for people to enjoy a massecre, it's sick in every way...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:08
that guy clearly is an idiot.

Ok, he can make his stupid game - he's free to make what ever distasteful crap he wants too. But too demand money for its removal - thats like emotional blackmail, really rubbing peoples faces in it. I think thats totally inexcusable, there should be a law for people like him.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 13:49
That's nothing new, after the Columbine shooting a man created a game that featured video clips that the killers shot of themselves and the point of the game was to re-enact that day.

It's the price that we have to pay for freedom of expression.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>