Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coils of death

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Squire View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Squire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coils of death
    Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 06:54

The Retulated python is the longest snake in the world.Its also one of the most dangerous snakes in the world. During the modern era of expantion [late 1900's] India was the home of these dangerous reptiles and they edapted to the city and even hid in draws and trash cans because they seek dark places the kill many people died because of thisDead.  Thats why i think the reticulated Python is the most dangerous snake alive. 

Edited by Squire - 13-Apr-2007 at 07:08
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 08:55
Interesting topic young Squire Smile
Fairly recently, one of these pythons ate 11 guard dogs at an orchard in Malaysia, until it was discovered by locals...

Huge Python makes a meal of 11 guard dogs

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 26 (Reuters Life!) - Guard dogs protecting a fruit orchard in Malaysia have met their match -- a 7.1-metre-long (23-ft-long) python that swallowed at least 11 hounds before it was finally discovered by villagers.

"I was shocked to see such a huge python," orchard-keeper Ali Yusof told the New Straits Times in an article published beneath a picture of the captured snake, which was almost long enough to span the width of a tennis court and as thick as a tree trunk.

Villagers did not harm the snake, which was tied to a tree then handed to wildlife officials, the paper said on Friday.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-01-26T185353Z_01_L2621625_RTRUKOC_0_US-MALAYSIA-PYTHON.xml&src=rss

Though I don't believe Reticulated Pythons to be the most dangerous snakes alive, I certainly see them as potentially hazardous. They are easily capable of consuming huge wild pigs and humans, even large deer.

Do you have sources/extra information regarding the 'era of expansion' and Reticulateds in India? I recall them being endemic to South East Asia, but I could be wrong.

Here are some more images which give some perspective:

^ That picture is from Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin's)

- Knights -
Squire View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Quote Squire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 22:15
In the era of Expansion the reticulated python wood feed mostly on rats, cats and dogs but acationly they will kill and eat a human. They were consitered a nemiss by all so the indian goverment payed people to hunt and dispose of these people. A indain story goes that one snake was clever and it his a trash can. it had already killed two people. There were hunters looking for the snake the hunters armed with guns chased it into the rubish dump they walked past a trash can when the reticulated python leeped out of the trash can pulling the guns out of there hands and then strangling then to death several people saw this but couldn't help. 

And yes during the era of expansion the snakes migrated to the east were they live today. 

staring ain't it

Edited by Squire - 13-Apr-2007 at 22:18
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 22:28
How come the snakes migrated, and in such a short time. I always thought of snakes as home range and non migratory sort of creatures. Also, when is the 'era of expansion'? Is it restricted to India, is it world wide.etc? Just curious.

Thanks
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2007 at 21:44
I thought they only killed and ate while hungry, making them less of a danger for they would just curl up and go to sleep after inviting a dog or human over for dinner. An ordinary snake can and does attack and bite without having a meal in mind. It's beyond belief to claim the python  could or would attack several people at the same time. They don't have any hands or feet, let alone be able to commit kung-fu like acts on armed and dangerous attackers.
elenos
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 18:17
cool, but given the anacondas greater weight and possibly more muscle, I'd imagine that they'd be slightly more dangerous. Still, reticulated pythons aren't exactly cute and cuddly. Except in a completely chilled-out snakey way...

elenos, it is true that oprdinary snakes can and will attack without a meal in mind, but that's pretty much for the same reason any animal might: it feels threatened. And attacking several people at the same time isn't too horribly difficult when you have a 30-foot body made of near-solid muscle and bone.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 03:19
The snakes are amazing. With such a strong body, they can easily stand so that a part of their body is on the ground and the rest does the 'kung-fu movements'. Their head is more than enough for the hands of humans.

I had no idea a python could grow that wide though. Was it still digesting or what? Interesting..

Oh, I also believe that since they are 'territorial' they would kill any person to cross the line into their territory, therefore the 11 guard dogs.

Did a episode of CSI: Miami feature a python? I seem to recall having seen one...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 05:04
Snake girths can get very wide indeed (the Green Anaconda's being the thickest) - and as you can imagine they expand after a meal. I haven't seen any of CSI: Miami, so I'm not about the snake on the episode. However, you may be aware of that [escaped] Burmese Python found in Florida, with the Alligator burst out of its side? Well, the photo stumped a lot of animal experts, but they finally came to a conclusion. While killing the Alligator the snake received wounds. After eating it, the snake was attacked by another Alligator which split open the side. If you have no idea what I'm talking about - I'll give you a link. 
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 05:18
Honestly? No idea...

Though I liked a place where they compared the Anaconda and the Jaguar and who would win in a fight... but that's totally different.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 05:44
Yes there was a csi with a snake, typically crap though. Think it was about an exotic pet owner who got eaten..or did he? 

'Looks like nature's making a comeback' <<cue music>>

'Now it's him we can take off the endangered species list' <<cue music>>

'Looks like this guy OD'd on Nature' <<cue music>>

Did you see the one where a band of robbers planned to use a tsunami that ripped through Miami as a floater device for the gold bars they had just stolen from the bank, with all evidence destroyed by the water? Feasible alright
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 06:26
Yes. I believe I've seen all of CSI: Miami except the last episodes of Season 5. But I like it. *laughs over the hilarious comments before the beginning titles*

'Looks like the tsunami is not the only thing to hit Miami'

No... CSI Miami rules actually... *sunglasses on... off... on* Yes it does *off*...
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 06:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceHnUrUAbho

Its brillaint, watch it, goes on FOR EVER...

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 06:53
Lol... I know.. Youtube has some good videos on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948 is the best I've seen yet.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 06:54
CSI is coooool. The ginger chap who does the same thing in every startup is class. He takes off the sunglasses, looks around, says something, and walks out with a purpose...
 Post Reply Post Reply