Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

About the study of african history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: About the study of african history.
    Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 01:43
The blond barbarians of the North also have certain peculiar way of being that Spain inherit. Particularly the warrior spirit of the reconquista and of the conquistador come from those germanic roots. But, to tell you the truth, the culture was in the South a lot more than in the North

How did the reconqista come from Germanic roots ?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 16:52
Originally posted by think

yet does that even include Spain or Portugal, were these "blond Barbarians" much different from the Barbarians in  Your ancestral region.

Honestly,Ancient Greece gets too much glory in the West when they had little effect on the majority of europeans. So in that i guess Greece is sort of more of Medditerranean power/culture but your ancestral homeland of Spain is not in the same boat as Greece because your culture, history etc etc came well after the Greeks an even the Romans (Just like the rest of the Barbarians) an the only reason Spain achieved greatness was because they kicked out their "fellow" medditeranean Muslims.

Curious way to see things that doesn't match reality. You should visit Andalucia.

Spain is a country both Mediterranean and "European". Yes, Iberians, Celts and Germans colonized Spain, but also Phoenician, Carthagian,  Jew and Arab; besides Greek and Roman.

When Spain kicked out Muslims, they kicked out their own people, because there wasn't a racial barrier between the Muslims that when out and the Spaniards that remained. And Spain achieved a mediocre greatness that could have been a lot greater if it would kept its Muslims but particularly its Jewish people.

The blond barbarians of the North also have certain peculiar way of being that Spain inherit. Particularly the warrior spirit of the reconquista and of the conquistador come from those germanic roots. But, to tell you the truth, the culture was in the South a lot more than in the North.

By the way, the last Moor of Spain was pale and blond blue eyed.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 11-Jul-2007 at 16:53
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 06:17
And the people of the Mediterranean sea share a history. That's all

yet does that even include Spain or Portugal, were these "blond Barbarians" much different from the Barbarians in  Your ancestral region.

Honestly,Ancient Greece gets too much glory in the West when they had little effect on the majority of europeans. So in that i guess Greece is sort of more of Medditerranean power/culture but your ancestral homeland of Spain is not in the same boat as Greece because your culture, history etc etc came well after the Greeks an even the Romans (Just like the rest of the Barbarians) an the only reason Spain achieved greatness was because they kicked out their "fellow" medditeranean Muslims.

Edited by think - 11-Jul-2007 at 06:19
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 16:32

Yes, you are right. I forgot Mesopotamians. It is a matter of pattern of settlements, division of labour and compexity of the society.

Pinguin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 14:56
You don't really need stone buildings, besides, that would exclude early Mesopotanian cities, they didn't have access to much stone, so they developed the most sophisiticated ancient brick making industry to compensate for it.
No, building material is irrelevant, its the pattern of settlement, division of labour (along with the hierachies and whatnot) and supremacy over other settlements that makes the City what it is, and this gives you civilisation. Arguably writting isn't necessary either, just an accounting system of sorts, Inca knots being perhaps the most famous example.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 11:10
Civilization: urban culture based in cities.

Some caracteristics:

* Stone building
* highways
* Writing
* Large scale burocracies.
* Hierarchical armies
* Formal religions based on "writings"
* Large scale commerce and money.
* Intensive agriculture
* Large civil works.
* Original style of arts
* Original literature
* Phylosophy and science

As I say before, there can be outstanding cultures without being civilizations. For example: Easter Island culture 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 04:09
Originally posted by pinguin

Well, I don't think Toynbee is wrong.

Subsaharan African didn't develop an atonishing original civilization. I don't think that is racism but just stating a fact. Other peoples like the North Central Asian Nomads, the Samis, the Ainus, the Australians, the Amazonians and the Polynesians didn't develop an original civilization either. They developed cultures but not original civilizations.
That doesn't mean they are "inferior" people at all. It is just the way it was.

Now, that doesn't mean the Subsaharan Region don't have marvels that are worth to study, starting by Zimbabwe, Eredo and the Ife brozes.

Pinguin

your definition of civilization seems a little 'old' for my tastes. And I don't think you fully grasp the complexity of those regions civilizations.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 20:14
Well, I bet cultures of Northern Europa has a different perspective. Anyways.

In any case, Western civilization is formally Greek-Roman and its religion is Jewish-Christian.

If you take note, you will agree that the origins of that civilizations are in Mesopotamia and Egypt through Crete. At the same time those events happened Phoenicians were trading through the mediterranean, bringing with them some very important "western" cultural patterns like the alphabet. Influencing with that not only the Greeks but all the peoples of the mediterranean, founding Carthago and destroying Tarsis.

When Greece was born, it received strong influences from Persia, the Phoenicians, Egypt, Mesopotamia. That's undeniable. And when the Roman Empire was created, the influences of other semitic people, the Jews, it was felt strongly.

So, all of it was interrelated. It is not the case of the barbarians of Northern Europe that were incorporated to the West gradually during the following centuries.

So, the West indeed was founding on top of the experience of lots of Mediterranean peoples, not only on Greeks, although they were the onces that gave the final touch to that civilization.

Greeks and Turks are close, indeed. But it is quite easy to find links between almost all the peoples around the sea. Turkey host Sephardites of Spain, for instance. The Moors of the Maghreb share its musical origins with Andalucia. The most important Roman philosopher, Seneca, it was Spanish. Pablo preach in all the Western Mediterranean. etc.

It was only after the Germanics took power that the concept of Europe was born. There after peoples that share a common culture were divided between Muslims and Christians, and afterwards between Europeans, Middle Easterners and North Africans.

But those are just political decisions of historians. The common patterns and the common heritage still exist. That's all.

Pinguin

Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 17:43
hmm no i do realize that there is a bond..i have stated many times before... but even if you are latino...the bond of states in that part of the world is no more special than the bonding or coming to together of  europeans in early america, or the unification of china...

I dont agree with the idea of classification of the diverse area of the sea under the name medit....thats all...

a better comparison, Pinguin would be the closeness of the Greeks to the Turks compared to the  Japanese and congelese..
and by the way...western civlization didn't start from phoenicia but from ancient greece
there is only one truth
- Conan
[IMG]http://www.architecture.org/shop/images/402036lg.jpg[IMG]
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 11:05
Originally posted by Tk101

"And the people of the Mediterranean sea share a history. That's all."

the above is true for all people of earth.

I'm sorry but there is nothing special about the  Medit sea region... and theres no legit reason to justify the use of Medit. culture and words of that sort to describe the over 20 states of that area...i'm not even sure if it can be used to describe the BOND itself....

I''d like to know how this culture that came to latin america and maintained and unchanged for the past few centuries...

all of what you said seems only subjective and blindsighting

i think its better for us to just agree that we disagree...

Of course there is something very special about the Mediterranean region for US, Latinos. Because most of our ancestors came from there.

I don't know what are you motivations to put in doubt what I have been trying to tell you, but it is OBVIOUS to me that you are not familiar with the common thread in those cultures.

If you want to believe they are disconnected, or that there is more relation between a Japanese and a Congolese rather than between a Greek and Algerian, is YOUR choice, but that does not mean you are right at all.

For me, as a Latino, it is quite obvious there are things in common in customs, architecture, music, food and a common history. The Mediterranean was the place were Western civilization started. It was first a Phoenician sea, then Greek and then Roman. It was only AFTER the fall of the Roman Empire and the victory of the blond barbarians, that the world was divided in Europe, Asia and Africa. Before, the Mediterranean was the Mare Nostrum, and people of all its borders travel everywhere else.

Ignoring that, and ignoring all the reasons I gave you won't change the facts. If you consider the region is not important, because Europe or Africa are the things that matters, is just impossing your worlview to everyone else.

So, when you notice similarities in peoples in the Mediterranean in faces, music, foods and customes, IGNORE THEM. They are just coincidences according to you.

Pinguin

Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:53
"And the people of the Mediterranean sea share a history. That's all."

the above is true for all people of earth.

I'm sorry but there is nothing special about the  Medit sea region... and theres no legit reason to justify the use of Medit. culture and words of that sort to describe the over 20 states of that area...i'm not even sure if it can be used to describe the BOND itself....

I''d like to know how this culture that came to latin america and maintained and unchanged for the past few centuries...

all of what you said seems only subjective and blindsighting

i think its better for us to just agree that we disagree...

there is only one truth
- Conan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 12:05

this preception you have of others that live on the sea...seem only through your internal zeal to be appart of such a region that you dont see the difference between so called brotherhood  and them being nice...

First, it is not a "personal" perception. It is a concept widespread in all the cultures of the region.

Second, it is not less valid that the concept of "African" or "European", that are also geographical regions.

Third, the idea of brotherhood is no sense. Think in how much Europeans have kill earch others in endless wars. That does not mean they are not related somehow.

the things you speak of is true for just about any area of the planet... it doesn't justify the use of the world medit race or culture for over 20 states that come from diverse backgrounds...

The word "race" was used in a figurative way. As you know, races don't exist. Peoples exist.

And the people of the Mediterranean sea share a history. That's all.

If your from chile then you dont really have any relativant ties to that region? the only would be that you have family that currently lives over there... the equvalent to an african american views towards "pan- africanism

No. The situation is different. Not only most Latinos are descendents of Spanish, Portugueses, French, Italians, and some of Greeks, Arabs and Jews, but the very Spanish, Portuguese and Italian cultures are ALIVE and well in Latin America. It is because of the language, religion and common traditions.

It is not the case of African Americans who lost theirs culture in the Middle Passage. We have not lost the Mediterranean culture at all, besides enrich it with our local Native american cultures.

Come on, in high school we read exactly the same books our fellow Spaniards read in Spain: our common heritage.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 27-Apr-2007 at 12:16
Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 11:26
this preception you have of others that live on the sea...seem only through your internal zeal to be appart of such a region that you dont see the difference between so called brotherhood  and them being nice...
the things you speak of is true for just about any area of the planet... it doesn't justify the use of the world medit race or culture for over 20 states that come from diverse backgrounds...

by the way it seem like a nice song... i like david brisbol better though..

If your from chile then you dont really have any relativant ties to that region? the only would be that you have family that currently lives over there... the equvalent to an african american views towards "pan- africanism"

Edited by Tk101 - 27-Apr-2007 at 11:58
there is only one truth
- Conan
Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 11:25
there is only one truth
- Conan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 22:23
I sort of agree with you in many respect. However, in the Mediterranean there are SOME cultural and genetic patterns in common. That's undeniable.

It is not silly to believe so at all. There are common things, more that meet the eye.  And more that is perceived by people of other places, that have no roots in that area.

Come on, Most of my ancestors are Spaniards, and when I met Greeks, Italians, Palestineans, some Jews or Arabs, they believe I am one of them. Definitively there is something in common between these peoples.

You should read the lyrics of Mediterraneo by Joan Manuel Serrat, Spanish singer.  It say it all. Please, read it carefully.

Mediterrneo
Joan Manuel Serrat (Spanish singer)

Perhaps because on your beaches my childhood still is playing,
And concealed behind the swaying Reeds my first love lies asleep,
Your light, your smell are what I keep
Wherever I may be staying.
And on your sand I've been piling
Love and games and pain and smiling.
I Carry the bitter taste of those tears in my skin and sinew,
That your cities have poured in you
From Gibraltar to Istanbul,
So you may paint, like blue wool,
Those winter nights that continue.
Your fate has been sad and serious;
Your soul is deep and mysterious
My eyes have become accustomed
To your red sky when the dusk comes,
Like the thimble to the tailor.
I sing, I cheat and I gamble,
I like wine, and like a sailor,
My soul wants only to ramble.
I can't help that I'm a man
Born on the Mediterranean!
And you come and go, but first you kiss my town with your laughter.
You play with the tide, and after
Come back as though you repent,
Like a woman, with a scent
Of tar that seems to draft her,
Who inspires love and yearning,
Who is known and feared like burning
Fire!
If death comes for me one night when
I'm asleep on my pillow,
Push my boat into the billow,
Into an autumn east wind,
And let its white wings be pinned
By the tempest, like a willow.
And bury me without mourning
Where beach and sky lie aborning.
Up on a mountainside, rising
High up above the horizon,
I want my view to be mellow.
My body will be a crossing,
I'll give the pines their green mossing,
And the Scotch brooms their bright yellow.
Near the sea, for I'm a man Born on the Mediterranean.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 26-Apr-2007 at 22:26
Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 20:17
Pinguin,
I dont doubt that the people along the sea had a bond but as the say that this bond was so strong that it fused into each and everyone one of the over 20 states of the area is seems silly..

at the most you can say is that they came form distinct backgrounds but just came together due to their proximity, own growth, power and influence each other towards some extent

i never give large regional names credit...its best to address the components of the regions individually becuase they are after all, invidividual components... ( why should the focus of the already culturally rich state be focused on outside influence)
when you say it that way pinguin it sounds as if your using the labeling methodolgy as people who label everyone in africa as "black"... africa is composed of all  worlds phenotypes ( most anyway) hence the diversity of outside africa is only a subset of within...

Mixcoatl ...i hate to say it at the risk of being flamed but...these things you call races are more like clines....just a difference in  the range of phenotypical allele freqencies in a perticular area...

i can concur with Maharbbbal, i think people confuse parallel evolution with the concept that becuase people have similarities, they must be from the same place ( one origin)... an example is the Indo european origin concept... that book sounds like a good read. i think i will take i look at it...

Edited by Tk101 - 26-Apr-2007 at 20:19
there is only one truth
- Conan
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 12:38

To label the romans, greeks, cretes, egyptians, moors and the others as a medit race is quite ridiculous.

Why is it more ridiculous than lumping together Irish, Bengali and Nenets in  a single race? Or Kazakh, Japanese and Inuit?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 12:16

...the only thing i question is the use of the term "mediterrenean" to under mind such a high culturally diverse and heterozygous populous around the sea. To label the romans, greeks, cretes, egyptians, moors and the others as a medit race is quite ridiculous..i'm sure a person well informed of  that area, such as you self would know of that factor....

They are not identical, and I never say so. What I have said is simple that they all share most things between themselves, rather than with the people of the mainlands that sourround them.

For instance you can't explain the history of Spain in terms of Europe only, although Iberians, Celts, German existed in there, but above all you should remember that Phoenicians, Carthagians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Jews, and many other Mediterranean people went there as well.

There is a common heritage, that's what I mean. And the idea to divide peoples and cultures in continents does not make much sense in the Mediterranean.

Pinguin
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 11:15
Tk 101 Don't believe Pinguin, read The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World at the Time of Philip II by Fernand Braudel (t.1) that book is one of the best piece of history and has been recognized as such since 1949. Incidently Braudel and Pinguin agree. I don't know if Braudel uses this expression but he might have: "the mediterranean regions are the organes of a unique body". The French terme charabia (un-understandable speach) comes from the fact that arround the Med mostly in ports for everybody to be understood by all they used an awful mix of Arabic, Spanish, French, Turkish, Greek and Italian during the pre-modern period. That is also why Algerian has a lot of French words, that some Corsican dialects sound Greek, some Italian ones Spanish and some Spanish ones Italian. It is the reason why lot of the Turkish vocabulary comes from the Greek (starting by Istanbul) and why in English you use such arabic words as Admiral, Caravan, Algeber or Arsenal or the Turkish one Karamel.

Conserning physical resemblence lets just say that Northern Portuguese call southern Portuguese Moros (Moors). But this are mostly cultural traits when it comes to genetics I wouldn't be so sure about mixity in most places and certainly not at the scale of the Mediterranean. It is more a wild guess than anything else but remember that most of the Mediterranean regions are landlocked montains with little contact with each others but the fact that environmental similarities may have induce cultures to adopt the same traits.

Edited by Maharbbal - 26-Apr-2007 at 11:37
I am a free donkey!
Tk101 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tk101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2007 at 10:56
well pingiun i'm quite informed on the genetic diversity and allelic frequencies in many populations across the planet and i know that the world isn't black or white...the only thing i question is the use of the term "mediterrenean" to under mind such a high culturally diverse and heterozygous populous around the sea. To label the romans, greeks, cretes, egyptians, moors and the others as a medit race is quite ridiculous..i'm sure a person well informed of  that area, such as you self would know of that factor....

Edited by Tk101 - 26-Apr-2007 at 11:09
there is only one truth
- Conan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>