Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Lyre Bird; Imitating sounds!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Lyre Bird; Imitating sounds!
    Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:12
This is soo amazing, he can imitate almost all the sounds he heards even a chainsaw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuFyqzerHS8

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:14
Yes this is truly one of the greatest wildlife spectacles on this earth. I have had the honour to hear the Lyrebird's song, though nothing as elaborate as that which Attenborough experienced! I am blessed to live in a country with such beautiful bird calls and songs Smile
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:19
Wooow did you hear the camera with a motordrive or chainsaw noises?Clap 

Edited by erkut - 02-Apr-2007 at 08:21
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:25
I find the camera with a motor drive to be the most astonishing (on the clip), but have unfortunately not witnessed it in real life. I have, however, heard the Lyre Birds beaming out the calls of numerous other birds of the forest such as the:
Eastern Whipbird
Kookaburra
Cockatoo
Noisy Pitta
Pied Currawong
Bell Minor

They are such amazing birds! Star I will try and record something and put it on Youtube, though it is highly unlikely I could do this to much avail, so I will look out for other cool clips for everyone Approve

- Knights -
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:31
djeez i wish I had a home near where that bird lives, some friends call me "idiot" cuz i have many sounds of birds in my winamp :D I dunno it gives me something spiritual. And also i had for almost 10 years canaries till some years ago they died.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 08:54
you know DayI,  i wanted to show pictures of this bird before this thread was started...

so here it goes.

two close ups

in the dandenong forest a male dislaying its tail.

the link has some sounds alsoWink

http://photos.rnr.id.au/birds_lyrebird.html

front on

its on our 10c coin

some of their own calls for you to listen to (bonus -both species)
http://www.naturesongs.com/lyrebirds.html

Edited by Leonidas - 02-Apr-2007 at 08:55
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 09:05
A stunning creature indeed, though of course you have to go out into its natural habitat to have a chance of seeing one. Some people think Australian animals are gregarious enough to mingle with people in the suburbs LOL
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 21:37
I have heard that some people believed that Kangaroos hung around in urban areas around Australia, and are commonly seen bounding over the harbour bridge. May I ask if anyone thinks this is the case?
There mightn't be any kangaroos in the city, but there are still plenty of animals living in urban/rural areas...Koalas...Rosellas...Possums Smile
It's lovely to border a forest, right in the middle of the suburbs - to hear the birds singing.

Oh yes, and just for reference, there are two lyrebird species:

Superb Lyrebird - the one featured in the clip, far more well known and beautiful

And the Albert's Lyrebird. Poor soul gets ignored. These are a more chestnut colour, and their tail plumes aren't as extravagant as the Superb.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 04:20
It will immitate sounds it has heard, such an amazing creature.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:01
hey knights i came across some nice photo's of the alberts lyrebird when searching for the other post,  cant find them now.

here is a male doing his stuff (i think they have a nicer colour)

Google VIDEO version of DayI's footage

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Apr-2007 at 02:08
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 02:24
Yes I must say the chestnut is nicer than the duller brown of the Superb, but it's those tail plumes that win me over Smile

May I ask, which do you prefer? The Superb Lyrebird tail plumes ^
or the Male Peacock?

and check out the white peacock - Shocked

^ Those are my favourite, they look like snowflakes! Though they can't do anything as unusual as the Lyrebird's mimicry...

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:14
peacocks are for rich mans gardens. there is a green one to (three sub species), kinda of the peafowl version of the alberts lyrebird, everyone sees the blue ones and wows over the whites.

In the end, im always going to be biased to our nativesWink

Edited by Leonidas - 07-Apr-2007 at 04:18
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:25
Yes, though the peacock may be beautiful, I prefer something unique (and native/Australian). There are plenty of beautiful birds on our planet, but only one that can mimic a camera with a motor drive! I'm with you on this one, Lyrebird all the way Thumbs%20Up
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:34
even my whole familywas very impressed.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 08:37
my fiance doesnt believe the chainsawLOL
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 03:53
Great News! Today I was driving (learning, of course Embarrassed) out near Wiseman's Ferry, for all you Sydney-siders. For everyone else, Wiseman's Ferry and the surrounding area is bushland/mountain ranges. Now, If you have been there you would know there is a very steep hill leading down to/up from Wiseman's. It was on this hill this afternoon that I caught sight of a lyrebird! It was very exciting for me, as I only see them at the zoo - never in the wild. It was actually in the middle of the road, and promptly scurried of to the side (where a small rock face was) and it sort of stumbled up and carried on its merry way.
It was definitely a Superb lyrebird, judging from the tail feathers (male) and colouration. I did not hear it unfortunately, and really wanted to stop and go take some photos/video (I had my video camera and digital camera with me), though my parents urged me to keep driving CryCry
Anyway, twas exciting nevertheless, and I will try get some photos next time I'm go through their exhibit at the zoo.

- Knights -
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 10:34
Peacocks are wonderful creatures, however, not if they are sitting on your roof at 5:30 am raising as much hell as possible.  One of my neighbors has the wherewithall to keep 3-4 on her property.  If they stayed on her property, that would be fine, but they seem to like my garage roof as much as their own yard.Tongue They are noisy animals.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 00:30
congrats knights! you normally wouldn't spot one of those so close to Sydney but Wisemens is far enough out, to have kangaroos.  i was out those ways, last weekend for a wedding at a  golf course resort, eastern grey's everywhere.

Red, peacocks are great to look at but maybe you should invest in a sling shotEvil%20Smile

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Apr-2007 at 00:31
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 01:25
Yes, it is quite a way out of the suburbs. A wedding at the Wiseman's golf course resort ey? Sounds nice, I used to play there, next to the river. I'm sure that river is full of my golf balls Smile
Funnily enough, I am told (by my mum) that at our old house, which is close to where we live now, there was a lyrebird in our backyard. Our yard had a verandah and dropped off into bushland. Apparently a lyrebird made residence just at the bottom of the garden. I was about 3 though, but crazy about animals then too! We had possums, lorikeets , rosellas and parrots visit our verandah all the time to feed. Approve

Oh and Red, being the Tomato Master I'm sure you could easily 'dispose of' a few peacocks with a couple of supersonic tomato shots (with the slingshot of course) Wink

- Knights -
Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Jams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 06:02
Unbelievable - crazy that they can imitate almost any kind of sound - that chainsaw and camera sound sounds 100% real.
 Post Reply Post Reply