Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bring the Brits Back Home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bring the Brits Back Home
    Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 16:43
Originally posted by Reginmund

That was part of the picture, yes. But I expect you to be at least somewhat aware of the history of the Middle East these last couple of centuries, and if so you must know that these countries' infrastructure would still be medieval in every way if it hadn't been for the "evil imperialists" modernizing it,

And I take it that Iraq and Afghanistan are shining examples of this modernisation.  No, the imperialists modernised jack... European companies were PAID at the behest of the indigenous middle eastern powers - contracted - to carry out modernisations. 

Back to your point, I would like for you to cite a reference to these claims.   European occupation of the ME started with the fall of the Ottoman empire. Before that, there was no colonial Western presence, the West's colonialism brought nothing to the ME except death and destruction.  The British were the first to gas Kurds in Iraq, for example and they totally levelled Baghdad in the 20s.

Do you know why the British staged the coup d'etats in Iran in 53?  Because their right to steal 85% of Iran's oil profit was revoked - the funny thing is, they [nor the Iranians] settled for a 50/50 share of IRAN's oil.

and the famines and epidemics which plagued the Middle East before this was done would have claimed far more lives and caused far more tragedy than any military oppression from Europe ever has.

The Middle East is not Sub-Saharan Africa.  I would appreciate if you could provide some examples of these plagues, famines and epidemics... I can't think of anything comparable to the Irish famine, before which Ireland had a population of 9m, today only 4m.

Edited by Zagros - 08-Apr-2007 at 16:52
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 18:45
Whatever the motive of the Iranians for seizing the British Marines, it's only going to heighten tensions in the area. Coalition forces will be on the lookout for similar operations and will be much more likely to use force.

As a public relations stunt, this may have been successful, but it increases the chances of real hostilities breaking out between the coaliton and Iran.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 21:20

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Iran never does anything wrong. What don't you understand? It is all part of the Western conspiracy. The Great Satan, etc., blah blah.

Naturally, the West is too successful to be liked. 

Originally posted by Red Hot Chili Peppers

"it's the edge of the world
and all of western civilization
the sun may rise in the east
at least it settles in the final location"

Well, have a happy life in your great Western civilization, I am and I am sure many others are happy or unhappy with being only a human in some location of this world, doesn't matter where.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 10:07
Originally posted by DukeC

Whatever the motive of the Iranians for seizing the British Marines, it's only going to heighten tensions in the area. Coalition forces will be on the lookout for similar operations and will be much more likely to use force.

As a public relations stunt, this may have been successful, but it increases the chances of real hostilities breaking out between the coaliton and Iran.
you dont think the USN armada is heightening tensions in bigger way?

Edited by Leonidas - 09-Apr-2007 at 10:10
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 10:10

LOL

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 13:23
Zagros, regarding the development of the ME during the age of European imperialism up until the second world war I've mainly relied on the Anglo-Lebanese historian Albert Hourani. He's worked with researching the sociological history of the ME all his professional career, mainly focusing on the Arab areas, and has even been accused of being slightly biased in favour of the Arabs so I figured he at least doesn't downplay the negative effects of imperialism and exaggerate the positive.

I've mainly been reading about European imperialism in Egypt, Arabia, Syria, Iraq and the Maghrib though, not so much Iran. I am aware however of the oil incident you mentioned, as well as many other suppressed rebellions, but it's kind of hard to accomplish anything without being backed by military force. It also varies a bit from region to region and time to time how much the people benefitted and how much they suffered. Maybe Iran was in the less fortunate extreme, whereas certain states such as Bahrain, Quwait, the UAE and Oman are in the other extreme and owe their present wealth to their former position as British protectorates.

Oppose me on this last one and I'll call in my fellow historian friends of the UAE to back me up.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Leonidas

Yes I do, and I think a U.S. withdrawl from the region is inevitable.

I just think the Iranians begining open military action against coalition forces is throwing gasoline on the fire. They're already providing arms to the insurgents, by openly targeting coalition forces they're giving Bush the justification he wants to attack Iran.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:20
Quwait? UAE? Bahrain? Oman? They own their wealt to UK? what about their oil? I think oil helped them a little too.(Maybe less than britain)?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:22

Zagros, regarding the development of the ME during the age of European imperialism up until the second world war I've mainly relied on the Anglo-Lebanese historian Albert Hourani. He's worked with researching the sociological history of the ME all his professional career, mainly focusing on the Arab areas, and has even been accused of being slightly biased in favour of the Arabs so I figured he at least doesn't downplay the negative effects of imperialism and exaggerate the positive.

I've mainly been reading about European imperialism in Egypt, Arabia, Syria, Iraq and the Maghrib though, not so much Iran. I am aware however of the oil incident you mentioned, as well as many other suppressed rebellions, but it's kind of hard to accomplish anything without being backed by military force. It also varies a bit from region to region and time to time how much the people benefitted and how much they suffered. Maybe Iran was in the less fortunate extreme, whereas certain states such as Bahrain, Quwait, the UAE and Oman are in the other extreme and owe their present wealth to their former position as British protectorates.

Oppose me on this last one and I'll call in my fellow historian friends of the UAE to back me up.

Zagros's POV would indicate you should call them in.  Wink

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:28

I'll oppose you, please bring in your friend - So what about all of these epidemics and famines you spoke of? Please provide examples of them plus examples of the good work towards infrastructure carried out by colonial powers.

The UAE etc would have been developed one way or another simply because they have oil.  Look at areas of Africa previousl;y occupied by the British, most have no oil, and even the ones who do, are VERY poor and underdeveloped relative to any part of the world.

Again, the British did not develop the UAE, British companies developed oil fields and some of the wealth went to the Arabs who themselves invested in infrastructure and various civil projects, there were no altruist intentions on the part of the colonial powers.

Basically, it seems like what you;re saying is that any part of the ME that was under colonialist control should be grateful, that in itself is a ridiculous proposition.

Edited by Zagros - 09-Apr-2007 at 14:32
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:29

I just think the Iranians begining open military action against coalition forces is throwing gasoline on the fire. They're already providing arms to the insurgents, by openly targeting coalition forces they're giving Bush the justification he wants to attack Iran.

A US withdrawal from the region is not likely as long as any of us are alive.  A withdrawal from Iraq is inevitable, and the sooner the better.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:36

Reg, you're confusing strategic occupation with civil investment - the two are most certainly not the same and in the case of the middle east are most certainly not linked.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:40

A US withdrawal from the region is not likely as long as any of us are alive.  A withdrawal from Iraq is inevitable, and the sooner the better. 

It's just my opinion, but because of a growing understanding of the effects of global warming, I think we're going to go through a major paradigm shift in the near future. It's been easy to pospone a move to less polluting forms of energy use because of low oil prices.

All those massive reservoirs of oil under the Persian Gulf area are going to be worth more staying where they are if global climate change models are accurate.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:42

Zagros's POV would indicate you should call them in.  Wink

Any reasonable person would demand examples and evidence towards certain lofty claims that have been made, irrespective of his PoV, such as:

- Middle East was medieval before the end of WW1.
- Before Western colonialism the ME suffered from epidemics, famine etc - which apparently were a problem before colonisation by Western powers.
- The ME owes its welath and development to Western colonisation

So you accept them at face value just because they favour your PoV? 

Edited by Zagros - 09-Apr-2007 at 14:44
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:45
I must agree entirely with Zagros here.  Strategic interests rarely have much to do with altruism. 

However, the development and benefits to some Gulf states can be attributed to their strategic value, and the connection to the oil revenue that resulted from that.  From the income derived (however much it was) the Gulf states, and Saudi Arabia, have been able to provide substantial civil investment of their own.

There has been a substantial amount of symbiosis in those strategic/business connections.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 09-Apr-2007 at 14:47
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 15:35

Aha, there's two things we agree on!

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:34
Originally posted by Zagros

Aha, there's two things we agree on!

Smile

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:58

I'll oppose you, please bring in your friend - So what about all of these epidemics and famines you spoke of? Please provide examples of them plus examples of the good work towards infrastructure carried out by colonial powers.

Famine and epidemics occurred at more or less regular intervals, this was a natural part of life in the pre-industrial world, in Europe too as you no doubt know. The Europeans
eventually learned how to combat the spread of plagues and diseases as well as how to safeguard against famine as a result of poor harvests, this knowledge was transferred to the
ME colonies during the age of imperialism and the population there boomed as a result. The demographics speak for themselves here.

Important factors here were railways, electricity, vastly improved sewage and drainage systems, and not least far better healthcare.

In addition to this the education system was modernized; completely new standards of learning were introduced, Arabs remarked how the old education at the mosque schools
was nothing but mindless repetition compared to the progressive learning done at the European institutions. Education was also made available to far more people than before,
literacy in the colonized areas increased universally. Literacy increased in Saudi-Arabia as well, which wasn't subjected to European rule but heavily influenced by it, although not
as much as in the areas under direct European influence.

When it comes to women, especially in urban areas their position was almost universally improved as a result of European influence, and more women had access to and chose to pursue higher education.

The UAE etc would have been developed one way or another simply because they have oil. Look at areas of Africa previousl;y occupied by the British, most have no oil, and even the ones who do, are VERY poor and underdeveloped relative to any part of the world.

Again, the British did not develop the UAE, British companies developed oil fields and some of the wealth went to the Arabs who themselves invested in infrastructure and various civil projects, there were no altruist intentions on the part of the colonial powers.

Altruist? Surely not, the priviledged position of these small oil states was part of a grand plan of keeping the Arab world politically divivded. Yet it can't be denied they benefitted greatly from it; they learned the value of oil fields and how to exploit them. More importantly perhaps they gained military support vs. neighbouring states, like Saudi-Arabia and Iran (which attempted to claim sovereignity over Bahrain), and avoided being sucked into these. Even today these states rely on Western protectors, and the UAE army is trained by US officers.

Basically, it seems like what you;re saying is that any part of the ME that was under colonialist control should be grateful, that in itself is a ridiculous proposition

They have much to resent but also much to be grateful for. Saying the ME owes Europe and the US nothing is equally preposterous.

And Zagros, don't act as if I'm making this up. I may be but a beginner in studying this subject but I have learned a bit and I plan to learn more, and not one sentence of what I said is fabricated with the intention of belittling the Middle East. In the middle ages Europe had much to learn from the Middle East, but in the age of imperialism it was the Middle East that had much to learn from Europe, and it did.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 18:10
To address your post fully:

None of these improvements to the middle east you mention came to the middle east as a result of Colonialism/Imperialism.  That they were simply Western and spread to the ME is completely irrelevant to your initial claim that all of these benefits are owed to colonisation.

Did you know right up until the mid 19th century in europe the primary point of reference in medicine was the Ibn Sina, the mill was a Persian invention, Persians were first with the predecessor of the postal system and air conditioning and had mathematicians whose equations were way ahead of their time.  From all of these the West has taken, so what of it? It's a natural progression and has nothing to do with colonialism and imperialism same as the spread of western knwoledge and tech to the ME.

I want you to give specific examples of your claims for my reference because I have never heard such things resulting from British [or French] imperial dominion in the middle east. Enlighten me.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 18:13
When it comes to women, especially in urban areas their position was almost universally improved as a result of European influence, and more women had access to and chose to pursue higher education.

Well this statement i can't argue with but such things resulting from influence are a far cry from your initial statement. 

Just to clarify: I am not arguing that the ME or anywhere else has not beenfited from foreign technology and ideas, far from it.  I am arguing that the incorporations thereof was NOT the result of Imperialism - something which was your initial argument.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>