Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bird Watching Spots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bird Watching Spots
    Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 19:37
Recently I have gotten into Birdwatching. I would like to know if any of you know of any good places to go birdwatching either in the USA, Michigan, or anywhere around the world?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:35
Good to see you have gotten into birdwatching, the rewards can be quite fruitful if you have good timing, good sense, and a bit of luck. Best place to watch birds depends on what type of birds you like.
Here is a site that might be handy for you:
http://www.birding.com/wheretobird/michigan.asp
Most of the time, bird watching is best done away from human settlements, such as in the countryside. Waterfowl are good for birdwatching because they are abundant, especially in the US. If you intend to see raptors, specific locations are better, most of which I don't know of in the US.
Then again, surprisingly, many birds choose to roost or reside in rural/urban centres, even the CBD! Falcons like to make their nests on ledges on skyscrapers.
Another great place, is, the zoo! Approve Although, it doesn't give you the same sense of achievement...
Finally, if all else fails, go to Africa, practically anywhere in Africa's grassland/savannah. Not only should you find plenty of biodiversity, but you will not be bird-less (I guarantee) - there are an estimated 2 billion quelia birds on the plains of Africa!

- Knights -
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 19:57
Frying pan. It can be found all over the world. Even better, it smells really good.

Join us.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 03:09
Originally posted by pekau

Frying pan. It can be found all over the world. Even better, it smells really good.

Apropos Frying pan. I like bird watching as well. A chicken which turns around in a grill, getting browner and juicy, a nice view.

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 20-Mar-2007 at 03:10

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 19:18

Stanley Park in Vancouver B.C. has some good birdwatching along it's seawall.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 02:09
Lately, a heron that is native to Papua New Guinea has been spotted in Northern Australia's capital, Darwin. No one knows how or why the lone bird crossed the Timor Strait/Arafura Sea. Birdwatchers -professional and amateur alike - have flocked from all over Australia and even the world to come a photograph/observe this unusual event. I'm not sure whether you are a keen enough birdwatcher to come over to Aus and see the bird, King John...but you never know Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply