Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Religion of Kurds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Religion of Kurds?
    Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 07:07
Which is the main religion of Kurds?I know that many are muslims.If they indeed are,are they Sunni or Shi'a?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 08:05
Shiat Ali and Sunnah, very small minority are Yazidis.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 08:08
I think sunni is the majority for the total.  But some shiite in Iraq and  Iran is mainly shiite with some sunni. While in turkey there are also alevi kurds. We shouldnt forget that in Iraq we have non muslim yezidi and there once was some jewish kurds.

Edited by Leonidas - 13-Mar-2007 at 08:09
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 12:23
 Fayli Kurds are Shiite they settled in Dyala region in Iraq,in Iran they live in Elam and sourrounding area,Sorani Kurds almost of them are Sunnies,In Turkey the majority are Sunnies but there is Alavi Kurds too.
As well as Muslims Kurds there is Christian  minority live in Dehawk region in iraq and yazidi doctrine in Mousel and Kurdistan of Iraq.

Edited by Ahmed The Fighter - 13-Mar-2007 at 12:27
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 14:26
Some are also al-haq (yarsan) (sp?), they are mainly in Eastern Kurdistan (Iran).
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 14:38

The Kurds have historically been very diverse in regards to religion.  This is why Wahhabi religous extremism is rare in Kurdish areas.

In addition to Islam and Yezdi, there were sizable minorities of Jewish Kurds in the past.  Also, "Assyrian" Christians in Iraq are said to be actually ethnic Kurds of the Christian faith.   There are also smaller groups of Kurdish affiliated Christians in Eastern Turkey.   I would not doubt that there are Bahai Kurds in Iran.

Edited by Cryptic - 13-Mar-2007 at 15:48
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 14:59
Wahabism has only in modern times taken a grip in Islamic countries outside of Saudi, such as Pakistan and Afghanistan - a process started in the 80s. 

Assyrians are not Kurdish, their language is Semitic (very close to Aramaic, iirc) and, it is the other way around that in fact many Iraqi Kurds are Kurdicised and Islamised Assyrians. 

Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 17:33
Originally posted by Zagros

Assyrians are not Kurdish, their language is Semitic (very close to Aramaic, iirc) and, it is the other way around that in fact many Iraqi Kurds are Kurdicised and Islamised Assyrians. 

Good point.  I stand correctedSmile
selah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:19
Originally posted by Leonidas

I think sunni is the majority for the total.  But some shiite in Iraq and  Iran is mainly shiite with some sunni. While in turkey there are also alevi kurds. We shouldnt forget that in Iraq we have non muslim yezidi and there once was some jewish kurds.

I am new at this forum my Spartian friendSmile But I have to fix your mistake. Alevi is only religion for turks. İt is  mix of old Turkish  believes and İslam. So If you do not Turk you cannot be Alevi. And know that Alevi isn'T Shii.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:23
Alavi isn't Shie?  I thought 80% of Shies were Alavi!
Mortazaa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mortazaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:28
huh? Alevies have no relation with shia, except their love for Ali.

By the way, Alevi is not only a turkish religious sect. Kurds have their alevis too. Infact Kurdish alevies are more hard core pkk sympatizan than sunni ones.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by selah

So If you do not Turk you cannot be Alevi. 

Can I be Christian if I'm not middle-eastern?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:35
This is from an Iran bashing article but it makes clear reference to Alavi Shiism.  And I also have a song about Abolfazl which praises Alavi, it's a Persian song.

In English, these are usually translated as Safavid Shiism the quietist and politically subservient Shiism influenced by Safavid political power, sometimes compared to the apolitical version of Islam that emerged among Sunnis under the Ummayad and Abbasid khulafa and Alavi Shiism, the energetic and active Islam demonstrated by Ali ibn Abi Talib (ra).

Mortazaa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mortazaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:45
Well, I think that alavism is changed so much. At past they were followers of shia and shah, now they dislike irans much more than sunni ones.

But Of course, I cannot talk for all alevis. They are so much different from each other.(Even there is some atheist alevis(I dont know whatever it is) and some of them claim, Alevism is not a muslim sect but an other religion.)

But I can easly say, they are not much fond with shia. They changed much and much.

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:55
Mortazaa
By the way, Alevi is not only a turkish religious sect. Kurds have their alevis too.

This is a common misconception.

Firstly there is the whole argument over whether Zaza are Kurds, they are an Iranic people but alot of Zaza intellects claim they are their own identity.

Anyway, Zaza have their own sect, its been commongly lumped together with Alevi's which is incorrect.

Then some go even further and mix Alevi with Alawi.

Selah
Alevi is only religion for turks. İt is  mix of old Turkish  believes and İslam.

While your correct that Alevi interpretation of Islam is based upon Ahmed Yesevi AlpEren schools and the later emissary of these schools "Haci Bektash", which embraced mystical Islam and retained their old  Turkic Shamanic customs. It isn't "soley" for Turks, one of their famous sayings is, "we look at 72 nations with the same respect/eye".

Also Bektashi-Alevi is responsible for the large numbers of conversions to Islam in Anatolia and the Balkans. They are very tolerant and open-minded in their thinkings.

Edited by Bulldog - 16-Mar-2007 at 17:59
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Mortazaa View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mortazaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 17:58
Kırmancis have some alevis too.

I should add I am also someone go even further and mix Alevi with Alawi.

what is their difference?
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 18:18
There is a huge difference between the two, Alawi were historically known as Nusayris, they believe in a trinity were Imam Ali is worshipped like a deity, it has some old pre-Islamic beliefs from the region theyre mostly from. Most Alawi are from the Levant, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, there is a small community of a couple thousand in Turkey and they're sometimes mistaken as Alevi.

There are lots of sects are commongly all lumped together as "Alevi" and this is a major cause for the confusion people have over Alevi's.

Alevi basically is the continuation of Central Asian Turkic interpretations of Islam, its based upon Sufi mysticsm and doesnt reject pre-Islamic culture which may have some Shamanistic influences, Haci Bektash who was a pupil of Yesevi AlpEren schools spread it to Anatolia and the Balkans which was very sucessfull. 

Edited by Bulldog - 16-Mar-2007 at 18:20
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 20:35
Originally posted by Bulldog

Then some go even further and mix Alevi with Alawi.

Being the only one to pick out the source of confusion, what can i say but well done. Clap You can't imagine the trouble i had with this Alevi and Alawi thing before i worked out that they were different, but similar sounding and often similalrly written names.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by Zagros

Wahabism has only in modern times taken a grip in Islamic countries outside of Saudi, such as Pakistan and Afghanistan - a process started in the 80s. 

What do you mean by grip?
selah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote selah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 03:52
Originally posted by Bulldog

There is a huge difference between the two, Alawi were historically known as Nusayris, they believe in a trinity were Imam Ali is worshipped like a deity, it has some old pre-Islamic beliefs from the region theyre mostly from. Most Alawi are from the Levant, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine/Israel, there is a small community of a couple thousand in Turkey and they're sometimes mistaken as Alevi.

There are lots of sects are commongly all lumped together as "Alevi" and this is a major cause for the confusion people have over Alevi's.

Alevi basically is the continuation of Central Asian Turkic interpretations of Islam, its based upon Sufi mysticsm and doesnt reject pre-Islamic culture which may have some Shamanistic influences, Haci Bektash who was a pupil of Yesevi AlpEren schools spread it to Anatolia and the Balkans which was very sucessfull. 

You are almost right. I am Turk and our religion is Islam.Our sect is Alevi. In Alevi sect there is 'Dedelik' like imam but Dedelik pass by 'blood' like the old Turkish beleive KUT. You know you cannot be Jew but of course you can live like Jews you can call yourself Jew. Alevi Kurds or Araps are the same.

The other point that I want to explain we have to study on Zaza people  well. Because in some old Turkish written sources you can easily reach that the Zaza people is the clan of Turks. ( Zaza-mon Zazas)

AlpEren means that the wizard and warrior . Like Dede Korkut. After Islam it'meaning came to the Imam and warrior.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>