Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the World Cup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the World Cup
    Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 21:27
Welcome Cricket fans and potential converts to the beginning of the 2007 World Cup. One month of continous cricket games between the worlds top teams to decide on the new world champion.

For those who don't know the competetion starts with four groups each of four teams. After each team has played every other in the group the two teams with the most points go through to the next round knockout round.

16 in the groups,
8 in the super eight stage
4 in the semis
2 in the finals.

The teams & Groups:

Group A
Australia - Defending world champions one month ago it look as if Australia could hardly loose, however after defeats in the Commonwealth Bank series and Chappel-Hadley trophey to England and the Kiwis. The world cup has opened right up. Australia are missing the strike bowler Brett Lee to injury, but otherwise will have a full strenght team.

Scottland - A minnow team in their first world cup. You have to wonder why the british divide their country up in sport. Highly unlikely to get past the first round.

Netherlands - A minnow team that has been in many world cups before but have never progressed to the next round. They are coming off a crushing defeat on the UAE - not that that means a lot.

South Africa - Currently the highest ranked one-day side after Australia recent defeats, South Africa is is best team never to have won a world cup. The biggest question on everyones lips is "How are they going to blow it this time?". Last time they failed to take an easy single on the last ball of the same, and got knocked out on home turf in the first round. The time before.... They dropped Steve Waugh.

Group B:

Bermuda - Until this world cup, I always thought they were part of the West Indies. Why aren't they part of the windies? A minnow of minnows.

Bangaldesh - Offically a test team, Bangaldesh has never yet been able to produce a team capable of getting into the second round. Bottom of the one-day rankings

Sri Lanka - boast some of the best players in the world, including the best spin bowler in cricket. Definitely a contender for the world cup.

India - The indians have one of the best batting line ups in the world, however they always seem to lack good pace bowling. India should not be underrated.

Group C:

Canada - A minnow team with a couple of good players, unlikely to earn a victory, but might be fun to watch.

Kenya - Kenya oh Kenya, why aren't thou a test team? After Kenyas great performance at the last world cup, they I think they should have been awarded test status instead of Bangaldesh. How far can this minnow team make it this time?

England - England had a miserable summer in Australia this year, until right at the end of the season when they pulled it together and snached the series from Australia. England could do really well, or they could not. They do have Vaughen as captain, which is probably a big gain.

New Zealand
- Coming off a white wash in the Chappel-Hadley trophey, the kiwis are always a surprise. They have limited talent but use it very well.

Group D;

West Indies: The windies, the first team to win back to back world cups, they are playing on home turf and are one of the favourites to win the world cup.

Pakistan: Missing the worlds fastest bowler Shoaib Aktar and the probably better bowler Muhammed Asif, Pakistan still managed to convincingly defeat South Africa in the warmups. Always a random variable, Pakistan could do anything - and they do have Yasir Arafat playing.

Ireland: Minnows in their first world cup. Lets hope they surprise

Zimbabwe: Zimbabwes team has been crippled since most of its players fled overseas from Robert Mugabes rule. It would be nice to see them do well, but I really don't think they have the talent anymore.

Matches start on the 13th (windies time)!

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 12-Mar-2007 at 05:54
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 22:21
Excellent, about time someone started a topic about the ICC World Cup! What's your predictions for finals Omar? I think Australia have the best chance at winning, but I am a strong supporter of England. The South Africans are in good are they not? It promises to be an exciting event. I look forward also, to watching the not-so well known nations compete, as  they always deliver something special.
Go England Smile
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 22:24
I don't know if I can watch any of it here in the US.  I'd be very interested to know how Cricket is played.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 01:03
I think the main things is going to be the second round. I have a sneaky suspiciion that only Aus or SA will make it to the semis since only one can take the full 2 points to the second round.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 01:58
I think Australias recent run should been seen as the exception, rather than a trend. They lost the Australian summer series before the last world cup too and still demolished everyone in the world cup. In the Chappel Hadley trophy Aus was missing many of its key players so thats not much of a measurement either. Australia are in with a good chance, but my feeling is to go with the West Indies. They have been in decent form recently, and are playing on home turf.

South Africa deserved to win last world cup but choked, they are a very good chance (in theory) to win this one too, but I think Aus and the windies are probably better. Pakistan are, as always, a completely unknown quanity and are just as likely to bomb out in the second round as they are to win the final. I don't think the loss of Shoaib is a bad thing, he always seemed to me to be too much a loose cannon, but the loss of Asif is a blow.

Group C will be the interesting one, because if Kenya showed the form it did last time, it may just be able to beat either New Zealand or England, which (assuming a very likely win over canada) could put it into the second round and knock out a test team.

I rate the West Indies to win, but barrack for Pakistan and Kenya.

Anyone up for a tipping competetion of somesort?

I don't know if I can watch any of it here in the US.  I'd be very interested to know how Cricket is played.

There was actually some discussion a couple of years back about allowing the US team into this world cup as a local entry. Although the west indies were opposed to the idea, and I think you lost the spot to Bermuda. Here are some websites to follow the world cup:
http://www.cricinfo.com/
http://cricketworldcup.indya.com/

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 12-Mar-2007 at 02:01
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 02:11
I think a tipping competition would be great Omar, even if it just a few of us. How will it work?
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 02:18
I for one can't wait for the Aus/SA clash in the opening rounds. The two teams are capable of delivering a clash of titanic proportions (who can forget the 438 game?) and I just hope they don't dissapoint.

I also find myself rooting for some of the underdogs. Kenya and Ireland has the potential to cause upsets in my oppinion.

The games all start at 17h00 SA time. Good timing for us to catch all the games after work. Can't wait for the opener tomorrow....
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 02:28
How about:
1 point for guessing the correct winner before each game. (So 6x4+4+2+1 = 31 points available)
2 points for guessing each team to go into the next round before the previous one begins. (So us picking the 2nd round now, 3rd on after the first game)
4 points for guessing each team two rounds ahead. (3rd round now, final after the 13th)
8 points each for four rounds ahead (the correct finalists now), and
16 points for picking the winner now/8 in the first round/4 in the second/two in the third

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 02:29
Originally posted by Eondt

(who can forget the 438 game?)

That was one of the most epic game I have ever seen! Any match involving South Africa, Australia, England and Sri Lanka/Pakistan/India, New Zealand and the Windies promises to be a goodie - I hope. Does anyone know of Kevin Pieterson is back in the english team - sure hope he is. Monty Panesar is the coolest player and I eagerly anticipate watching him play!Cool
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 02:31
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

How about:
1 point for guessing the correct winner before each game. (So 6x4+4+2+1 = 31 points available)
2 points for guessing each team to go into the next round before the previous one begins. (So us picking the 2nd round now, 3rd on after the first game)
4 points for guessing each team two rounds ahead. (3rd round now, final after the 13th)
8 points each for four rounds ahead (the correct finalists now), and
16 points for picking the winner now/8 in the first round/4 in the second/two in the third

Sounds good to me Omar, I'll think about my choices tonight and get back to you in a few hours.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 03:31
well I reckon either Australia or West Indies will win the cup.

For the groups:
A- Australia
B- Sri Lanka
C- New Zealand (cause the English suck)
D- West Indies
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 04:22
Ooh, good point Balaam, we'll also give 1 bonus point for picking the winner of each group. Remember the eariler you pick the more points you'll get.

Also if you join in the tipping make your tips clear so I know whats speculation and whats a tip.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 05:20
Hey Pakistan will win Group D. Wwe kicked the WI last time we played them and Shohaib and Asif were not playing either.

ANd in 1992 we won the WC without Saeed Anwer and Waqar Younis or our then first choice keeper Salim Yousaf.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 05:24
Omar,

My tips for round 1:

Group A

Australia
vs Scotland
South Africa vs Netherlands
Australia vs Netherlands
South Africa vs Scotland
Scotland vs Netherlands
Australia vs South Africa

A1 Group Winner: Australia
A2 Runner Up: South Africa

Group B

Sri Lanka
vs Bermuda
India vs Bangladesh
Bermuda vs India
Sri Lanka
vs Bangladesh
India vs Sri Lanka
Bermuda vs Bangladesh

B1 Group Winner: India
B2 Runner Up: Sri Lanka

Group C

Kenya vs Canada
New Zealand vs England
England
vs Canada
New Zealand vs Kenya
New Zealand vs Canada
Kenya vs England

C1 Group Winner: England
C2 Runner Up: New Zealand

Group D

West Indies vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs Ireland
Ireland vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs West Indies
Pakistan
vs Zimbabwe
West Indies vs Ireland

D1 Group Winner: West Indies
D2 Runner Up: Pakistan

Second Stage - Super Eight:

D2 Pakistan vs A1 Australia
A2 South Africa
vs B1 India
D2 Pakistan vs C1 England
D1 West Indies vs C2 New Zealand
A1 Australia vs B2 Sri Lanka
D2 Pakistan vs B1 India
B2 Sri Lanka vs C1 England
D1 West Indies vs A2 South Africa
C2 New Zealand
vs B1 India
A2 South Africa vs B2 Sri Lanka
A1 Australia vs C2 New Zealand
D1 West Indies vs C1 England
D2 Pakistan vs A2 South Africa
C2 New Zealand
vs B2 Sri Lanka
B1 India vs C1 England
A1 Australia
vs D1 West Indies
A2 South Africa vs C1 England
B2 Sri Lanka
vs D1 West Indies
A1 Australia vs B1 India
A2 South Africa vs C2 New Zealand
D1 West Indies vs B1 India
D2 Pakistan vs B2 Sri Lanka
A1 Australia
vs C1 England
D2 Pakistan vs C2 New Zealand

1st = Australia
2nd = England
3rd = South Africa
4th = New Zealand

England vs South Africa
Australia vs New Zealand

Grand Final:
England vs Australia

These, of course, are my biased/hoping opinions on the World Cup. It could go to any of about 6 teams easily.

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 06:13
Ok, my tips:

Group A

Australia vs Scotland
Australia vs Netherlands
South Africa vs Scotland
Scotland vs Netherlands
Australia vs South Africa

A1 Group Winner: Australia
A2 Runner Up: South Africa

Group B

Sri Lanka vs Bermuda
India vs Bangladesh
Bermuda vs India
Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh
India vs Sri Lanka
Bermuda vs Bangladesh

B1 Group Winner: India
B2 Runner Up: Sri Lanka

Group C

Kenya vs Canada
New Zealand vs England
England vs Canada
New Zealand vs Kenya
New Zealand vs Canada
Kenya vs England

C1 Group Winner: New Zealand (on run rate)
C2 Runner Up: Kenya (on run rate)

Group D

West Indies vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs Ireland
Ireland vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs West Indies
Pakistan vs Zimbabwe
West Indies vs Ireland

D1 Group Winner: Pakistan
D2 Runner Up: West Indies

D2 West Indies vs A1 Australia
A2 South Africa vs B1 India
D2 West Indies vs C1 New Zealand
D1 Pakistan vs C2 Kenya
A1 Australia vs B2 Sri Lanka
D2 West Indies vs B1 India
B2 Sri Lanka vs C1 New Zealand
D1 Pakistan vs A2 South Africa
C2 Kenya vs B1 India
A2 South Africa vs B2 Sri Lanka
A1 Australia vs C2 Kenya
D1 Pakistan vs C1 New Zealand
D2 West Indies vs A2 South Africa
C2 Kenya vs B2 Sri Lanka
B1 India vs C1 New Zealand
A1 Australia vs D1 Pakistan
A2 South Africa vs C1 New Zealand
B2 Sri Lanka vs D1 Pakistan
A1 Australia vs B1 India
A2 South Africa vs C2 Kenya
D1 Pakistan vs B1 India            ---Yeah Pakistan vs India! Go Pakistan!
D2 West Indies vs B2 Sri Lanka
A1 Australia vs C1 New Zealand
D2 West Indies vs C2 Kenya

1st: Australia (6/6)
2nd: West Indies (5/6)  
3rd: Pakistan (5/6)
4th: India (3/6)

West Indies vs Pakistan
Australia vs India

Grand Final:
West Indies vs Australia

Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 04:39

Im probably way off, but this is what Im hoping for anyway:

Group A

Australia vs Scotland
Australia vs Netherlands
South Africa vs Scotland
Scotland vs Netherlands
Australia vs
South Africa

A1 Group Winner: South Africa
A2 Runner Up: Australia

Group B

Sri Lanka vs Bermuda
India vs Bangladesh
Bermuda vs India
Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh
India vs
Sri Lanka
Bermuda vs Bangladesh

B1 Group Winner: Sri Lanka

B2 Runner Up: India

Group C

Kenya vs Canada
New Zealand vs England
England vs Canada
New Zealand vs Kenya

New Zealand
vs Canada
Kenya vs England

C1 Group Winner: New Zealand

C2 Runner Up: England

Group D

West Indies vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs
Ireland
Ireland vs Pakistan
Zimbabwe vs West Indies
Pakistan vs Zimbabwe
West Indies vs Ireland

D1 Group Winner: Pakistan
D2 Runner Up: West Indies

D2 West Indies vs A1 South Africa
A2 Australia vs B1 Sri Lanka
D2 West Indies vs C1 New Zealand
D1 Pakistan vs C2 England
A1 South Africa vs B2 India

D2 West Indies vs B1 Sri Lanka
B2 India vs C1 New Zealand
D1 Pakistan vs A2 Australia
C2 England vs B1 Sri Lanka
A2 Australia vs B2 India
A1 South Africa vs C2 England
D1 Pakistan vs C1 New Zealand
D2 West Indies vs A2 Australia
C2 England vs B2 India
B1 Sri Lanka vs C1 New Zealand
A1 South Africa vs D1 Pakistan
A2 Australia vs C1 New Zealand
B2 India vs D1 Pakistan
A1 South Africa vs B1 India
A2 Australia vs C2 England
D1 Pakistan vs B1 Sri Lanka
D2 West Indies vs B2 India
A1 South Africa vs C1 New Zealand
D2 West Indies vs C2 England

1st: Australia (5/6) On run rate
2nd: South Africa (5/6)  
3rd: New Zealand (4/6)
4th: Sri Lanka (3/6) On run rate

South Africa vs New Zealand
Australia vs Sri Lanka

Grand Final:
South Africa vs Australia

King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 05:57
Excellent Big%20smile, two and a half hours to go until the first ball now. Assuming I got the timezone conversion right.

To anyone else who wants to join in the tipping, you can do so at anytime, but you get more bonus points if you do it in the next couple of hours.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 06:08
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Excellent Big%20smile, two and a half hours to go until the first ball now. Assuming I got the timezone conversion right.

To anyone else who wants to join in the tipping, you can do so at anytime, but you get more bonus points if you do it in the next couple of hours.

It doesn't appear to be televised here in Sydney Cry Possibly only the Australia games....damn. By the way, will we post updates after each match, day or at the end of Round 1, Omar?
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 02:06
West Indies victory by 57 runs Cry. I'm using cricinfo.com to follow the world cup, as the free-to-air stations are too stingy to televise it.

Updates to the scores we could do every couple of matches, it seems too much to do it after each day.

You were the only one to pick that game, so 1 point to you.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 07:23
Yeh, I use www.baggygreen.com for updates - damn free to air Unhappy
Well Done West Indies, on a good victory, plus a point for me! Smile
Today should be good - Australia vs Scotland
                                      Kenya vs Canada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>