Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most influential people of the Millenium.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most influential people of the Millenium.
    Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 12:48
Here is my list of the 30 most influential People of the Millenium:

30. Michalengelo
29. Thomas Edison
28 Nicolo Machiavelli
27. James Watt
26. Louis Pasteur
25. Genghis Khan
24. Elizabeth I
23. Adolf Hitler
22. Ferdinand Magellan
21. Skakespeare
20. Queen Isabella of Spain
19. Louis XIV
18 Leonardo Da Vinci
17 Vasco Da Gama
16. Henry Ford
15. Napoleon Bonaparte
14. John Stuart Mills
13. Marco Polo
12. Columbus
11. Albert Einstein
10. John Locke
09. Adam Smith
08. Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
07. Freud
06. Charles Darwin
05. Martin Luther
04. Copernicus
03. Galileo
02. Newton
01. Gutenberg

I think that intellectuals probably did the most to change the world over the last 1,000 years. That is precisely why the top ten is dominated by them.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:36
Gutenberg did more for humanity than most of these other people. His invention allowed for knowledge to be available to the common man. The world would vastly be more primitive should he had not done this.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:52
no muslim? even Avicenna?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 13:55

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

no muslim? even Avicenna?

Mehmed II just missed my list.

-- Voltaire
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:01
Funny the role you out there atribute to portuguese navigators. In portuguese historiography they would never be on a Top 30 of the Millenium.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:03

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Funny the role you out there atribute to portuguese navigators. In portuguese historiography they would never be on a Top 30 of the Millenium.

Well, Vasco Da Gama found the sea-route to India and Magellan was the First to circlenavigate the globe, which I feel is very important to the development of world History.

-- Voltaire
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:15

Isn't the whole list slightly Euro-centric, with the odd American thrown in? Has the rest of the world really not produced any influential person that could make it in the top 30, apart from good old Genghis Khan ? What about Gandhi, Mao, Ayatollah Khomeini........?

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:19
Originally posted by Komnenos

Isn't the whole list slightly Euro-centric, with the odd American thrown in? Has the rest of the world really not produced any influential person that could make it in the top 30, apart from good old Genghis Khan ? What about Gandhi, Mao, Ayatollah Khomeini........?

Yes, but not to sound eurocentric myself,  the last millenium belonged to western civilization. I am sure the 21st century will be different, but the most important gains and discoveries in the last millenium have come from the western world. And let's remember that my list is made up of the most "influential", notice intellectuals make up my top ten.

-- Voltaire
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:33
Originally posted by Winterhaze13

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Well, Vasco Da Gama found the sea-route to India and Magellan was the First to circlenavigate the globe, which I feel is very important to the development of world History.

Actually, Vasco da Gama didn't "find" anything. He had orders to find a guide that would lead them to India sailing as close as possible to Africa's coast. The hard part had already been done by Bartolomeu Dias, which was going beyond Cape Good Hope. Vasco da Gama has some importance as an "executor" of royal command and a good administrator of the early asian posessions.

As for Magalhes (that's portuguese for Magellan; I prefer it this way), that's a bit more complicated. He did navigate the whole extension of the world. But he did that on two journeys, one under a portuguese flag, in the portuguese area of influence (remember the Treaty of Tordesilhas), the other under Spanish flag, on Spanish area. Now, and this is still very cloudy and probably not true, that second journey was supposed to stop right after they had left the Philipines, and before entering the Portuguese zone. But the crown of Spain wanted the journey to continue through that zone. For Magalhes that would be a treason against the King of Portugal, and a refusal would make him lose his honour in Spain. So it is said that he left instructions to Sebastian Delcano to finish the journey the way Spain wanted it, and decided to charge alone against some cannibals in the Philipines. As we all know, he never came back.

Of course none of this is very known outside Portugal, that's probably why you give them so much importance.  

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:07
Originally posted by Winterhaze13

Originally posted by Komnenos

Yes, but not to sound eurocentric myself,  the last millenium belonged to western civilization. I am sure the 21st century will be different, but the most important gains and discoveries in the last millenium have come from the western world. And let's remember that my list is made up of the most "influential", notice intellectuals make up my top ten.

The last 500 years has belonged to the west, but not the last thousand overall, I wouldnt take anyone off that list, but I would add some.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:16

I'd have put

1. Alexander Fleming

2. John Logi Baird

3. Charles Babbage & Konrad Zuse

And have put these on the list too,

Tim Berners-Lee

Isaac Newton

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:27
Newton's up there, Paul, at #2 

Edited by Murph
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 19:32

"Gutenberg did more for humanity than most of these other people. His invention allowed for knowledge to be available to the common man. The world would vastly be more primitive should he had not done this. "

Gutenberg really didn't invent the printing press.The Chinese already had something similiar,Gutenberg just introduced it to Medieval Europe,and modified it.

In Honor
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 01:14

Mehmed II just missed my list.

a king?

Search in google about most influential philosopher scientists -> Avicenna

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 04:37

You mostly put the most important people for the last 500 years of Europe. But for the world, this list is non-sense...

What about others like Mehmet II, Suleyman the Magnificient, Alparslan, Mimar Sinan, Farabi, and others that I didnt mention here???

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 09:59
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

You mostly put the most important people for the last 500 years of Europe. But for the world, this list is non-sense...

What about others like Mehmet II, Suleyman the Magnificient, Alparslan, Mimar Sinan, Farabi, and others that I didnt mention here???

I expected that some would not agree with my list, but I think it is fair for the most part. Aside from the first two you mentioned, the others I don't know. Also, keep in mind that this list is based on influence, so obviously some people are important but not influential. That is precisely why my list is dominated by intellectuals.

-- Voltaire
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 11:50
Originally posted by Paul

I'd have put

1. Alexander Fleming

2. John Logi Baird

3. Charles Babbage & Konrad Zuse

And have put these on the list too,

Tim Berners-Lee

Isaac Newton

Yes television, computers and the internet have to be in there. But where would they all be now without the transistor?

William Shockley, John Bardeen and Walter Brattain ought to be in there somewhere (or just Bell Laboratories).

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 11:53
Why are Hitler and Louis XIV in there? What influence have they had on history since their day? Or on the world today?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:02

Originally posted by gcle2003

Why are Hitler and Louis XIV in there? What influence have they had on history since their day? Or on the world today?

Well, Hitler is influential because of fascism. I can't see how Louis XIV can be left off a list like this, he provided the prototype of absolute governments until their decline in 1918. These governments still exist today in some form, and ruled Europe for 300 years. Therefore, Louis is deserving.

-- Voltaire
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:25
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Petty conquerors. Merely changed borders. Why a person like Mohammed is not on the list is a mystery to me though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>