Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vlad Dracula

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vlad Dracula
    Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 10:37

i have a Question about this painting, what is the pinky thing in his mouth? is it his Toung or his lip?

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 12:19
His bottom lip.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2005 at 12:25
never thought about it but his lip does look like his tongue.

Any info on the portrait, who did it, what era?
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 12:56

Do you know his adventure with the Turks?

Sultan Mehmed II sent his commander Hamza Pasha to fight with Vlad.But Wallachian Army defeated the Ottomans.Hamza pasha and his soldiers were caught and impaled.

Later when Sultan Mehmed came with his army,he met with a huge field where there were 20.000 impaled soldiers on it.Everyone was shocked.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 05:04

and how did Dracula die?

Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 21:14
He died when one of his own commanders shot him in the back with an arrow on a hilltop while he was surveying a major battle between Wallachian/Hungarian forces and Ottoman/Turkish ones
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 07:06

Originally posted by Catt

Dracula supposedly suffered from some medical condition which caused muscle spasms in his jaw, which in turn forced his lower jaw forwards, giving him a somewhat distorted appearance.

If I recall correctly, it is a 16th century copy of an 15th century original that was painted from life.

"Dracula" does indeed mean "Son of the Dragon".  Vlad and his father (Vlad Dracul) were members of a knightly order of Crusaders, called the Order of the Dragon.  These folks vowed to fight against Muslim aggression. 

Check out Dracula: Prince of Many Faces by Raymond T. McNally and Radu Florescu, for more info.

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 19:43
oh thanks, interesting also!
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 12:32

I am Romanian, and I know quite a bit about this king, who is considered a national hero in Romania.

King Sigismund of Hungary, who became the Holy Roman Emperor in 1410, founded a secret fraternal order of knights called the Order of the Dragon to uphold Christianity and defend the Empire against the Ottoman Turks. Its emblem was a dragon, wings extended, hanging on a cross. Vlad IIIs father (Vlad II) was admitted to the Order around 1431 because of his bravery in fighting the Turks.  In old Romanian, the word for dragon and devil are the same: Drac, or Dracul in its articulated form. His name was also Vlad, so he called himself Vlad Dracul (Vlad the Dragon). Also in old Romanian, the suffix -ea means "of the", corresponding to "son of". So Vlad the Impaler called himself Vlad Draculea (Vlad, the son of Dracul). Teapa means stake in Romanian, so Tepes means the Staker, or the Impaler as is commonly translated in English.
He was born in 1431, and his father became king of Wallachia in 1442. The young Vlad was sent to Adrianople from 1444-1448, as a hostage to the Turks. The practice of impaling people was done by the Turks as a form of execution. It cosnisted in a very narrow hole dug in the ground, with a long sharpened stake in the middle. The victim would be placed in the hole and left to move downwards, while the stake drove slowly through the inferior regions of the body. The process could take hours or even days and it was considered an excruciating form to die. There is an anecdote telling how the young Vlad was supposedly put into one of these holes (in order to scare him only), by his Turkish captors, only to have him laughing maniacally at them.
During his captivity, Vlads learned a lot about the Turks, but also developed an inextinguishable hatred of them. As a result of political circumstances, supposedly docile and loyal to the Turks, Vlad was made king of Wallachia in 1448, after his father's death and a number of short-lived usurpers. His first reign was short-lived though, when another contender took the throne.
His second reign dated from 1456-1462, when he took the throne with the help of the Hungarians. Vlad employed some very cruel but efficient measures to combat corruption and crime in Wallachia, He consolidated his power by inviting all his dangerous rivals and their nobe supporters (boyars) at a banquet and setting fire to the banquet hall. The punishment for any crime, however minor, became impalement. As a result, crime was reduced to nil. There are may stories in Romanian lore, recounting for example how one could leave a pouch of gold at a cross-roads, and no one would take it.
Vlad's internal policies and his anti-Turkish, pro-Hungarian and pro-Moldavian attitude attracted the wrath of the Turks who decided to send a punitive expedition numbering 20,000 soldiers. At this time, Vlad's army was around 10-15,000. He ambushed the Turk army and had them all impaled. This was meant as a warning to the Turks not to interfere with Wallachia.
The sultan Mehmed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, lead the subsequent expedition himself, leading 100,000 soldiers. The Wallachians, abandonded by their Hungarian allies, responded with guerilla warfare and a surprise raid which almost killed the sultan himself. Ultimately though, the Turks were victorious, and Vlad was forced into exile in Transylvania. He had one more brief stint as a ruler in 1476, but was assasinated.

My opinion is that most of his actions were politically motivated, although he probably took aome enjoyment in his cruel treatment of his adversaries and prisoners.

Check out this link below:
http://www.donlinke.com/drakula/vlad.htm

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 13:30

Originally posted by Catt

I don't think it is known who painted that particular oil painting of Vlad Dracula.  According to Radu Florescu and Raymond McNally, biographers of Vlad II, it came from Castle Ambras, from a collection owned by Ferdinand II, Duke of Tyrol and was painted around 1462.  The biographers go on to say that Ferdinand II "had a perverse hobby of collecting the portraits of moral and physical degenerates, in addition to celebrities." 

Source: Radu Florescu and Raymond T. McNally. Dracula: A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476. New York: Hawthorn Books, 1973. P. 47.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:50
Originally posted by Yiannis

Well there're obvious exaggerations about his life. He didn't "drink blood" but he used to impale Turkish prisoners in order to terrorize their comrades.

Of course that wasn't anything new at that era. Impaling was the official method of execution in the Ottoman empire.

yes,but i think we learned it from tepes.He did impale turks and his own people,he made forests out of impaled people.

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Vlad Catrina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vlad Catrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:53
Vlad Tepes was a rough man in rough times.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 13:53

Originally posted by Achilles

Drakul is Dragon or Devil in Romanian. Vlad's father's nickname was Drakul, being that he was a member of a secrct sort of cult, or group of warriors.

Drakula means Son of The Dragon, or Son of the Devil.

Tepes means Impaler in either Hungarian or Romanian.
Vlad was actually born in Transalvania, but ruled in Walachia(a neighboring region)

That is correct,his real name was Vlad Drakul from his father,drak means devil in romanian,so yes,it probably means son of the devil

What a childhood that guy must have

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2005 at 10:01
Dracul is a romanian word, it has no meaning in hungarian.
Vlad Catrina View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Vlad Catrina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 08:59
Vlad Tepes was a great tactician. He almost killed the sultan of Turkey in a night attack. He is called a devil now only because he  tortured people in the famous way. In the Middle Ages, though, his methods were considered normal and eficient. The legend about the vampire called Dracula was really invented by Bram Stoker, who made Romanians seem a gruesome people.
In Romania, Vlad Tepes is a living legend.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 09:53

Vlad Catrina, Vlad is not quite called a devil only because he tortured people. It's a matter of semantics really. As you can see above in my post, his father, Vlad II, was part of the order of the Dragon, founded by Sigismund, king of Hungary and Holy Roman Emperor. He called himself Vlad Dracul. The word for dragon in German is drahe, which got carried over to Romanian to drac. Vlad Tepes himself signed an official document "Vlad Draculea". Just think of all the Romanian names that end in "-ea": they originally have a connotation of "the son of", just like names ending in "-escu" or starting with "a-". Simply put, he called himself Vlad, son of Dracul (in this case Dracul referred to the dragon and not the devil). Vlad's opponents never hesitated to point out the pun though.

As for Bram Stoker, it is true he had a very important role in making Vlad known as a vampire (although Stoker doesn't specifically mention Vlad, the connection was made later by scholars). During Vlad's time, he did have a horrible reputation in Europe though, which was due largely to German chroniclers. For economic, political (and possibly sentimental reasons), he massacred a lot of Saxon merchants from Brasov. This attracted him the enmity of the German-speaking population, and it is through German chroniclers that he was known in the rest of Europe. Obviously, his image is not good. On the other hand, his image in  Russian chronicles is that of a just and strong leader (much closer to the nationalistic Romanian interpretation), who just happened to do cruel acts out of necessity. This was due to the political climate in Russia at the time and the similar methods of Russian czars.

Read Radu Florescu's books on him: they're quite comprehensive.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Kenaney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 09:54
Originally posted by azimuth

i have a Question about this painting, what is the pinky thing in his mouth? is it his Toung or his lip?

He looks like the guy on youre signature, hahaha

OUT OF LIMIT
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 10:26

Originally posted by Vlad Catrina

Vlad Tepes was a great tactician. He almost killed the sultan of Turkey in a night attack. He is called a devil now only because he  tortured people in the famous way. In the Middle Ages, though, his methods were considered normal and eficient. The legend about the vampire called Dracula was really invented by Bram Stoker, who made Romanians seem a gruesome people.
In Romania, Vlad Tepes is a living legend.

living legend?I thought he was dead

Richard XIII View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Richard XIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 10:45
Dead?
Last time when I saw him was lying in a wodden coffin , he was in a Hollywood production, looks like Tom Cruise or something. Last good movie with a padishah was a romanian one "Michael the Brave"
"I want to know God's thoughts...
...the rest are details."

Albert Einstein
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 11:46
Say Richard XIII, the movie you're talking about, Mihai Viteazul, is that recent, or is it from before 89?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>