Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most important battle of WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most important battle of WWII
    Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 07:37
Battle of Britain for the western theatre, The Stalingrad Siege for the Eastern theatre of the war as far as WWII in Europe is concerned.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 08:01
Are there some excellent move clips for the Battle of Britain or the Stalingrad Siege? I have seen some short clips, but I was wondering if there's any clips that are well shown with respective amount of duration.

Join us.
Tancrde View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tancrde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 13:41
For the western front
Battle of France 1940

Eastern front
Battle of Stalingrad 1942 1943

Edited by Tancrde - 06-Mar-2007 at 13:42
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 12:48
I think the Chinese front is largely underestimated as well.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by Kapikulu

I think the Chinese front is largely underestimated as well.

Not underestimated, but think about it. The military potential between China and Japan don't have to be exaggerated. Seen the Japanese tanks in WWII? They are considered to be among the worst type of tanks produced, but their kill rate and battle performance in China proved as effective as other European tanks. Why? Because Chinese resistance was very unsuccessful, with some exceptions. Chinese resistances did not join forces together, and all Japan had to do is divide and conquer. It was like Hundred Years War before Joan came in. Furthermore, Japan held sea supremacy in all Chinese water, which was the most efficient method of transportation in China since railways were not available in China, and those that were available were all strongly controlled and defended by Japan.

Of course, many other Superpowers sent some elite forces to help out the Chinese resistance, but the number of the assistors were not enough to change the tide of war.

Even worse, some Chinese warlords wanted power so much that they allied with Japan against the Chinese resistance.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 13:20

This is one of the light tanks produced by Japanese military during WWII. Over 2000 of them were produced despie its light armor and slow mobility. It proved to be successful in Chinese front, but the quality of the tank was no match for the European tanks.

Type 95 tankImage:Type%2095%20Front%203-4%20view.JPG

Join us.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 12:36
I think that the most important battle of WWII was Stalingrad. If the German juggernaut hadn't been stopped, then Russia would have had another German army down to the south to cope with, not to mention that up north, other Germans were preparing to drive on to the capital.
Crusader3943
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 18:29

Hitler always suprise me. He can be so brilliant, but he can be so stupid. It's almost as if there were Hitler twin. His attitude and personality in the early WWII and near the end of WWII seems as if they are completely different man. Who knows, maybe Hitler got this Hyde's potion or something...

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 19:11
Originally posted by pekau

Hitler always suprise me. He can be so brilliant, but he can be so stupid.

And your next statement shows why you think that.

His attitude and personality in the early WWII and near the end of WWII seems as if they are completely different man.

He was achieving his ideals "in the early WWII" and started failing near the end.

Allow me to quote excerpts from your picture of the world if he continued the success you speak positively about:

Hitler would get the most vote for the greatest hero of the mankind's history in AE website, and all AE moderators would be anti-semetic. All Jewish members would be out, as well as other "subhuman" races. In school, we would learn about Nazism and the ideology of anti-semetism. The finest school in the world would not be Harvard, but Berlin Univeristy or some kind of German University.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 22:34
Originally posted by Hellios

Hitler always suprise me. He can be so brilliant, but he can be so stupid.

And your next statement shows why you think that.

His attitude and personality in the early WWII and near the end of WWII seems as if they are completely different man.

He was achieving his ideals "in the early WWII" and started failing near the end.

Allow me to quote excerpts from your picture of the world if he continued the success you speak positively about:

Hitler would get the most vote for the greatest hero of the mankind's history in AE website, and all AE moderators would be anti-semetic. All Jewish members would be out, as well as other "subhuman" races. In school, we would learn about Nazism and the ideology of anti-semetism. The finest school in the world would not be Harvard, but Berlin Univeristy or some kind of German University.

And that, Hellios, would not be far from the picture... if Germans won the war. Thank heavens for his loss. Who knows, I might have been in the gas chamber for all I know...

And just because I am pointing out the good side of Nazism DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT NAZISM! One must admit the enormous potential that Nazi Germany had... but it nevertheless is mankind's nightmare.

It's suprising (Some may argue otherwise) how I am viewed as antisemetic or whatever you are accusing me of. I happen to have several Jewish friends, some I am very close to. I will not make another futile argument, but I assure you (And for others that are viewing me suspeciously) that I am not racist, or antisemeitc or anything like that. I may bring some positive sides of the undescrible evil... but only because we must learn the good things in order to move ahead, even if it means from the enemies. As Tzu said, One must know the enemy to conquer it.

Again, please don't see me as some fanatic crazy kid who wants genocide and hatred. Though world domination has been my dream, it's only for amusement... like when we play Rise of Nation or Age of Empires. If you are concerned about my actions... please pm me and I will try to answer as best as I can. (I did not pm this because there would be so many of you...)

Sincerely,
pekau

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 23:05

And that, Hellios, would not be far from the picture... if Germans won the war.

Your pro-Nazi picture.  The anti-Nazi picture is Nazis being defeated by combined forces from other continents.

And just because I am pointing out the good side of Nazism DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT NAZISM!

You do more than point out "the good side of Nazism".

One must admit the enormous potential that Nazi Germany had...

You should follow Decebal's advice & think more about this "enormous potential that Nazi Germany had".

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 23:19
Originally posted by Hellios

And that, Hellios, would not be far from the picture... if Germans won the war.

Your pro-Nazi picture.  The anti-Nazi picture is Nazis being defeated by combined forces from other continents.

And just because I am pointing out the good side of Nazism DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT NAZISM!

You do more than point out "the good side of Nazism".

One must admit the enormous potential that Nazi Germany had...

You should follow Decebal's advice & think more about this "enormous potential that Nazi Germany had".

That's the reality if Germans won the war. Period. How could there be otherwise, unless Hitler finally crack and start to act like normal human being for a change... History confirms that Nazi Germany is taken out of the history by combined Allied forces attacking from East, West and South. (I am not sure about North now...)

More? Could you specify?

Decebal gave me advice? When? And where? I am afriad I can't tract all the post concerning me...  I will comment once I read his "advice".

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 00:04

That's the reality if Germans won the war. Period.

In "what if" scenarios there's no "reality" - just what your mind wants to picture.

Decebal gave me advice? When? And where?

Since you asked, here it is...

Originally posted by Decebal

pekau, I would recommend you pay attention to what Maharbbal and Ovidius are saying. It's going to help you a lot in life, not just historical debates, if you'll be more careful with generalizations based on a few chance encounters.

What? Ah, crap. I am not completely anitsemetic! 
Originally posted by Ovidius

No, just exceptionally Rascist.

To answer the first post, I have been watching some antisemtic movies... and I was just wondering if calling people Jew was offending any Jewish people...

Why would it be? Unless you are expressing it in an offensive mannor.

And to counter third post, I was studying the quantum theory at that time, and I just noticed that most of the contributor of the qunatum theory were from Germany. If I hated Jewish race, I wouldn't be praising Einstein, would I?

This is a big excuse for most racists in the world. Either its 'I'm not racist, but....' followed by some exceptionally racist comment. Or its, I'm not racist, look I have Black/Jewish/Muslim/homosexual friends/respect their history/respect individuals within said race. I can praise Ghandi and still be completely biggoted and racist towards India. 

I must admit that some Jewish people in general are unpleasant.

I must admit that some of every community are in general unpleasant. Any Race, Any Sexuality, Male or Female, even most animals, have some unpleasant members.

Now, before jumping into conlcusion... hear me out! I am not against Jewish race, just some people. They are the the great survivors. Ever since their nation was sacked by the Roman Empire, they have been wonderers around the world. They spread all over the world, desparate for survivial and to the faith that they would be saved in the future. I respect and admire that will. However, the necessary for survival made them (Not all, I assure you) very... selfish. They generally don't make any donations... unless the donation itself somehow helps the Jewish people. They avoid social life, thinking that they are superior people (Chosen people). They do not show compassion towards others. And that's not just based on others' comment. I have experienced it personally when I was in Europe.

This is where your biggoted side comes out. You believe 'Jews' to be selfish as a race, as if it is a characteristic. I assure you that is seriously not the case. Why do you single out Jews as well? What about all the extremely selfish members of society? Russian Oligarchs for instance, stealing money from the Russian people and then using it to fund football clubs etc? I think that there are Very selfish people within most communities, I actually believe that MOST PEOPLE are rather selfish.
Jews do not express their chosen status at all. I've never met any Jew that has attempted to prove his status as 'chosen'. Certainly not stronger than Jehovas Witnesses or other faiths where being singled out is central to the faith. I think all faiths in one way or another have some sort of belief in the members being superior.
'They do not show compassion towards others'. That is complete crap.
I have experienced it personally when I was in Europe. - Experiences what? A few individual Jews, or you met EVERY Jew at once? Did you not experience the same characteristics within all the people of Europe. Parisians are the most selfish people I've seen, with their blase attitude to life. Yet I would say it was a characteristic of Parisian people or French people. Nor would I single out a 'race'.

France is another example. Look at the separatists in Quebec. I have seen how some French considering themselves as superior and civilized people.

You misunderstand the whole issue. They do not see themselves as Superior. They are a community that is being swamped by another community, its no suprise that this harbours nationalism and strong self belief as a community. Without that spirit, their culture would totally disapeer in Canada. The Civilisation thing is, I believe, a Misintepretation. They may believe that French Culture is more civilised, but to believe that they as a race are more civilised? Please, I have never heard any Frenchmen express such a thing.

It disgusts me. Although I have nothing against French race, for I have a couple French friends that I talk to every week... *(MSN is a wonderful technology) but the tendency for certain nation's character is something that I cannot tolerate.

So you are attributing Quebec characteristics upon the French in France? Thats an ignorant way of looking at the French people. Thats like me blaiming you for the North Koreans or somehow hating Koreans because of the Koreans in a certain town in the UK. Please.

It's important to perserve and maintain a unique culture, but we live in a world where people interact each other more for mankind's survival. (Globalization and internationalism.) We either have to work together or we will all die. I just don't see how arrogant they are, thinking that world cooperation isn't necessary and all...

They are not arrogant. They are just trying to preserve their cultural independence, unlike other nations that are merely submitting to a banal omniculture. So they have a certain amount of nationalism and patriotic pride, so what? You will find the same sort of arrogant spirit within any nation, if you look in the right places.

Edited by Hellios - 18-Mar-2007 at 15:28
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:24
The most imprtant battle of World War II has been missed by each and every one of you! Some may call it a Campaign but it is recorded in history as a battle.

THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC.   Lose that and the allies and I mean all the allies lose everything.
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:54
Originally posted by aghart

The most imprtant battle of World War II has been missed by each and every one of you! Some may call it a Campaign but it is recorded in history as a battle.

THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC. Lose that and the allies and I mean all the allies lose everything.

Crusader3943
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 04:03
Kursk!!!
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 13:01
Originally posted by Kerimoglu

Kursk!!!

The brilliant armor strategist Heinz Guderian once asked Hitler "Was it really necessary to attack Kursk and indeed in the East that year at all. Do you think anyone even knows where Kursk is?" to which Hitler agreed with him saying, "I know. The thought of it turns my stomach."

It was an unnecessary battle that just became important because of huge armed forces involved. Strategically, it had no significant value.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 13:04

THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC.   Lose that and the allies and I mean all the allies lose everything.

Well, there's no way that Germans could have held the Atlantic anyway. If the battle of Atlantic was won by Germans, then the Americans and Canadians would be very angry due to the cut off trade routes to Europe, where they made huge profits that got them out of the Great Depression. They will become more serious about mobilizing navy to fight the Germans, which would bring America into war much more quicker. That would be bad for the Axis.

Join us.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 08:39

THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC. Lose that and the allies and I mean all the allies lose everything.

Not all of us missed that. I alluded to it in an earlier post, except I disagree that the Allies would have lost everything. Early in the war it was assumed by many Britons that Germany would invade England and plans were made with that reality in mind. All scientific advances, projects etc. were moved to the US and more.   
What would have been the result of losing the Atlantic is that the war would have lasted much longer, with the Allies using the US as a staging area, Long range planning efforts went as far ahead as 1965. And the capture of england by the Nazis is more than casually mentioned in the decision to pursue the A bomb.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 22:17

after stalingrad the germans never again won any battle of any significance
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>