Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sharkwater - the hidden mystery of the sharks...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharkwater - the hidden mystery of the sharks...
    Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 00:45
Look for a Sharkwater trailer. The trailer looked very good, and I am looking forward to see it. But let's get to the point now, why were sharks suddenly labelled as the evil creatures, falsely accused as the muderous animals that prey for human lives?

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2007 at 01:13
And if you know the background music heard in the trailer and where I can get it... please let me know. I love classic songs, and I need that song ASAP!

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 03:06
I will probably go and see the film too - it looks pretty good. As for the fear of sharks as "murderous animals", here is my reasoning behind this:
- Ignorance: People just don't know about sharks, they are ignorant of them and their right to space.
- Lack of awareness: The general consensus is that what we do not know about (are educated about) we cannot understand. This is the case for sharks, but also spiders and snakes.
- Media/Film influence: Sharks are portrayed as you mentioned, in films and on television as being ferocious killers in murky beaches, waiting to kill you. This view was exacerbated by the Jaws movies.

So basically, it is our ill-knowledge of sharks, and consequently, our disrespect for their rights and habits that gives us our opinion on sharks - which is quite sad really. If only people could understand.

In the words of African Ecologist/Conservationist, Baba Dioum, "In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught."

As for the soundtrack in the trailer Pekau, I couldn't be sure as to what it was called, but I found out that the composer/music score of the film is Jeff Rona...that might be a start...

- Knights -
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2007 at 22:49
Thanks. Let me know if you got extra info...

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 00:58

Join us.
Squire View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Quote Squire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 06:19

I think it was Jaws foult that sharks were named evil killers of the deep and pirate movies because they say walk the plank and we'll feed you too the sharks.The young minds were piosoned by PetterPan and just the shear look of then.They do look evil right and thats the reason we use to hunt the nurse shark.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 06:28
Exactly right Squire, Grey Nurse Sharks have almost been hunted to extinction, and only exist in a few outcrops on Australia's South and East Coast.
Our views of sharks stem from experiences as children - frightening film/television scenes, 'evil' and 'scary' music to accompany, and the portrayal of the shark as a ruthless and bloodthirsty killer of the oceans. They aren't what they are made out to be.
Nevertheless - no shark is 'friendly', so I don't recommend you do go and swim with them.

Grey Nurse Shark^ Hunted because of mistaken attacks. Grey Nurses were always thought to be the assailants and because of their frightening looks (bulging needle like teeth) they were blamed. Only a few hundred or so remain, even less if I remember rightly.
Squire View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Quote Squire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2007 at 07:44
I dont get the location of the jaws movies.America doesnt even have the biggest sharks in the world it should be just a freakishly large great White.
When most people think shark they think evil thing is going to kill me.
but when they think of dolphin they think cute adorable creature but dolphins like sharks have to eat.The sharks eats for food to live but the dolphin kills more then it eats and playes with its food.Who is more evil Dolphins or skarks.........?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 18:35
Dolphins are more dangerous, due to their superior intelligence over sharks.

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 22:40
And that's why people interact with dolphins (hands on), and let children interact closely with them too? I don't believe so.

Dolphins are certainly far more intelligent than sharks - but this does not mean they are more dangerous to humans. Dolphins can tell the difference between its prey and a human, a shark usually cannot - therefore the shark is more dangerous in that aspect. Secondly, dolphins (especially those in captivity) are very curious, inquisitive creatures who are more interested in entertaining themselves or finding out what the 'human' is like. Also, while dolphins are known to kill for enjoyment, this done not mean they are more dangerous to humans. How many human deaths have occurred because of dolphins? And sharks? See my point.
I just couldn't believe a dolphin to be more dangerous than a shark, as the dolphin is an unbelievable intelligent, sociable and friendly creature. They know that if they treat humans with respect, they will get it in return. I don't know of any specific dolphin hunting that occurs, whereas sharks are commonly hunted for food, and for 'vengeance'.
Dolphins are also used in many ways to help humans, such as therapeutic purposes (for children/adults with mental conditions, swimming with dolphins can be relaxing and does other stuff...), militaristic purposes, in hunting/fishing and for entertainment.
Keep in mind this is overall, I'm sure there is the odd dolphin with a mean streak, but in general, dolphins are good natured to humans, and always willing to learn/seeking reward and response.

In regards to dolphins playing with their food - this is true. They are known to intentionally go and kill porpoises, some to eat, some just for entertainment. Killer whales (Orcas) flip around their catch (sea lions/seals/penguins), whack them with their tails and ram them. This is usually for stunning the prey and killing it, but occasionally for fun. There are documented Orcas off Argentina which, after catching and throwing around the last catch of the day, they release it back onto the beach to return to the group. Very Strange - and it is consistent, day in day out.

- Knights -
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 00:33
Knight. Did you seriously believe that I was being serious?LOL

Although, I can just picture how dolphins can take over the world... but that's slightly off-topic.

Edited by pekau - 25-Apr-2007 at 00:33

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 00:39
Sorry Pekau, I was a bit unsure. I just like talking about animals, dolphins in particular Embarrassed

There is a certain Simpsons episode which comes to mind...dolphins taking over the world...Big%20smile
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 12:12
God! This creature is even uglier than henry kissinger Shocked. Wfff! away from us!

I certainly believe that a hungry shark is dangerous, bloodthirsty and its attacks should be accompanied by funeral psalms...

The sharks which were swimming in Perl harbor in 7-12-1941 were not that gentle(a historical factWink...

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 06:05
Well, according to Ancient Hawaiian Legend, Pearl Harbour ("Pu'uloa") was the home of the shark goddess, "Ka'ahupahau". Also, in 1941 it wasn't just the Japanese who caused American casualties...

"...On December 7, 1941, the assault on Pearl Harbor obscured a tragic scene in the South Atlantic which proved that sharks are never more dangerous than when large numbers of men are delivered to them from a sinking ship. A light British cruiser had been torpedoed. Seaman Albert E. Parton, a survivor, reported that as he crawled aboard a life raft he saw fins cutting the bloody water about him, swimmers being pulled grotesquely under the waves. Of the cruiser's complement of 450 men, only 170 escaped the torpedoing and the frightful feast of the sharks.."

Source: http://tatooine.fortunecity.com/phlebas/238/repellent.htm

- Knights -
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 20:04
Originally posted by Athanasios

God! This creature is even uglier than henry kissinger Shocked. Wfff! away from us!

I certainly believe that a hungry shark is dangerous, bloodthirsty and its attacks should be accompanied by funeral psalms...

The sharks which were swimming in Perl harbor in 7-12-1941 were not that gentle(a historical factWink...

Ha, we are the one to talk. How many lives did we slain?

And anyway, what else would sharks do when they are hungry? Besides, I bet many of the victims were bleeding in water. Sharks sense the blood, and see it as food. I mean, you have no idea what I will do if I ran for some kilometers and smell a nice hamburger...

Join us.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 11:58

Of course man is more evil than shark. The sharks kill in order to eat, we kill for more sneaky reasons...

How important are those mammals for the ecosystem anyway?

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 02:06
Human beings are crucial for the ecosystem. Environment like nuclear wasteland, overcrowded cities, garbage mountains.... they wouldn't even exist without human beings.

We also make sure that no other speices would overpopulate. Even better, we wipe them out to ensure that the possibility of overpopulation is zero. Aren't we smart or what?

Join us.
Easternknight View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Easternknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 11:12
Originally posted by Knights

And that's why people interact with dolphins (hands on), and let children interact closely with them too? I don't believe so.

Dolphins are certainly far more intelligent than sharks - but this does not mean they are more dangerous to humans. Dolphins can tell the difference between its prey and a human, a shark usually cannot - therefore the shark is more dangerous in that aspect. Secondly, dolphins (especially those in captivity) are very curious, inquisitive creatures who are more interested in entertaining themselves or finding out what the 'human' is like. Also, while dolphins are known to kill for enjoyment, this done not mean they are more dangerous to humans. How many human deaths have occurred because of dolphins? And sharks? See my point.
I just couldn't believe a dolphin to be more dangerous than a shark, as the dolphin is an unbelievable intelligent, sociable and friendly creature. They know that if they treat humans with respect, they will get it in return. I don't know of any specific dolphin hunting that occurs, whereas sharks are commonly hunted for food, and for 'vengeance'.
Dolphins are also used in many ways to help humans, such as therapeutic purposes (for children/adults with mental conditions, swimming with dolphins can be relaxing and does other stuff...), militaristic purposes, in hunting/fishing and for entertainment.
Keep in mind this is overall, I'm sure there is the odd dolphin with a mean streak, but in general, dolphins are good natured to humans, and always willing to learn/seeking reward and response.

In regards to dolphins playing with their food - this is true. They are known to intentionally go and kill porpoises, some to eat, some just for entertainment. Killer whales (Orcas) flip around their catch (sea lions/seals/penguins), whack them with their tails and ram them. This is usually for stunning the prey and killing it, but occasionally for fun. There are documented Orcas off Argentina which, after catching and throwing around the last catch of the day, they release it back onto the beach to return to the group. Very Strange - and it is consistent, day in day out.

- Knights -

Actually, the Japanese have been mass hunting Dolphins by the thousands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3xREsNG6w
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 12:21
Yes Pekau, indeed some creatures are evil from their nature.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 18:19
Originally posted by Easternknight

the Japanese have been mass hunting Dolphins by the thousands. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3xREsNG6w

Wow, thanks EasternKnight - I was never aware of that! Unfortunately I can't watch the video - it is deemed "inappropriate for under 18's...", though I found this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin_drive_hunting
Very disturbing.
 Post Reply Post Reply