Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkey,are Turkey can consider a Balkan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey,are Turkey can consider a Balkan
    Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 04:24
It's called nationalization.

Turkish version: "Extremely bad Westerners who teach their children Anti-Turkishness and who are planning to destroy Turkey."

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 06:37
The_hidden_face
I rather call it normalization. It's obvious that Greeks are less anti-Turkish than the rest of Balkan, especially compared to Serbia or Albania.

What on Earth are you going on about now, Greece less anti-Turkish than Albania LOL 

Didn't you realise that one of Albania's closest allies is Turkey and muslim Albanians are muslim predominantly of the Bektashi sufi order.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 06:45
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

It's called nationalization.

Turkish version: "Extremely bad Westerners who teach their children Anti-Turkishness and who are planning to destroy Turkey."

ive kinda noticed that rationale popping up every so often

i hoped if i pushed and tested some of the other members assumptions, maybe just maybe, i can get them to actually question it themselves.

Bias exists but just not in the way or to the extend some may imagine.

I rather call it normalization. It's obvious that Greeks are less anti-Turkish than the rest of Balkan, especially compared to Serbia or Albania. This is due to the social and economical achievements of Greece. Primitive nationalism is for poor and weak people.

I don't say Greeks are "Turk-lover" either. They' re just a mediterranean people who wants to live without trouble. Maybe because they got tired of this mythical "Turkish barbarians" figure.  
reading that, deserves a Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Leonidas - 01-Mar-2007 at 06:47
Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 07:04
Originally posted by Bulldog

The_hidden_face
I rather call it normalization. It's obvious that Greeks are less anti-Turkish than the rest of Balkan, especially compared to Serbia or Albania.

I quite agreed with that ; unfortunately.

Albanians are generally extreme nationalists what is nothing more than redundancy .

What on Earth are you going on about now, Greece less anti-Turkish than Albania LOL 

Didn't you realise that one of Albania's closest allies is Turkey and muslim Albanians are muslim predominantly of the Bektashi sufi order.

WE like our Albanian brothers but i could not understand why such kind of an extreme movement still proceeds .
Albanians , Bosniaks our fellow brothers .
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 07:04
Hidden face for the above comment you are right. Greece doesn't threatens Turkey. We just want to leave by the law without any trouble. If we want trouble we could have. The chances are more than many. I don't want to tell them n order to keep the thread in a low profile. But we all know that. Turkey for its own politics reason is trying to proove the opposite. Since I have been to Turkey more that twice. I spent almost 2 months there in many regions from COnstantinople through Sanliurfa i must say that the Turkish people were very friendly (some exceptions are normal). They were even friendlier when I was telling them that I am from Greece (Ynan). This was very suprising for me.
For answering the question of the thread according to me Turkey does not belong to Balkans. Nor to Europe. ALso Israel does not belong to Europe and many other countries. At least Turkey because of the eastern Thrace has some rights for Europe or Balkans.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 07:55
Originally posted by Bulldog

White nationalism and Racism are serious problems in Albania. Islam doesn't work in Albania, so you can't claim a "Muslim brotherhood". When I first came across the Turkish Albanians internet forum arnavutum com, I terribly realized that Skenderbeg is also a hero of many Turkish Albanians.

Mordoth View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 08:41
The Hidden Face ; of course we , Turks , are nationalists too .
But we do not insult others thought just because of their national identity .

Indeed , we respect to a national hero ; however Arnauds ( ALbanians ) have prefered to seperate and govern themselves as well . It is their choice , i' ve heard that Catholic Italians started a huge Christianic propaganda ; haven't they ?
If Electricity Comes from Electrons ; does Morality come from Morons :|
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 09:36

I rather call it normalization. It's obvious that Greeks are less anti-Turkish than the rest of Balkan, especially compared to Serbia or Albania. This is due to the social and economical achievements of Greece. Primitive nationalism is for poor and weak people.

I don't say Greeks are "Turk-lover" either. They' re just a mediterranean people who wants to live without trouble. Maybe because they got tired of this mythical "Turkish barbarians" figure. 

I have to disagree with this. Albania is more anti-Turkish than Greece because it sees a need to distinguish itself from the Turks. Albania is primarily Muslim and has a fairly similar culture to Turkey. Its quite obvious that they have to assert the independence of their ethnicity from the Turks.

Thats without looking at the cultural heritage of their nationalistic position.

Greece has a long standing position as a nation, it isn't a new nations, its an ancient nation. Its nationalism does not fall on a resistence to the Turks, it falls back on its ancient past.

They both have totally different mentalities towards their mythical past. I think its wrong to say its about Social and Economic Achievements, Nationalism certainly isn't for poor and weak people, nor is Albanian and Serbian nationalism primitive.
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 09:43

By the way, geographically Turks call themselves "Anatolians". Not "Balkanians". Turks see "Balkanians" as a different league.

Although obvious why Turkey considers itself a Anatolian nation and that this is part of their language.

Is there even such a work in Turkish 'Balkanians', is that even part of the language in any form?

Considering that Balkan is a word adopted from the Turkish word for the Dinaric Alps? Does it not just mean 'dark' in Turkish? Do they actually have a concept for the Balkans on those terms, does it literally take the same form as 'Balkanians'?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:02
Originally posted by Mordoth

The Hidden Face ; of course we , Turks , are nationalists too .
But we do not insult others thought just because of their national identity .

Indeed , we respect to a national hero ; however Arnauds ( ALbanians ) have prefered to seperate and govern themselves as well . It is their choice , i' ve heard that Catholic Italians started a huge Christianic propaganda ; haven't they ?

I respect their history, too. I just pointed out the Albanian view. Ovidius, I respect your view, as well. It's very usual that there might be different opinions on the issue.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:11
We use word "Trakyalı" for Turkish Balkanians.
the_oz View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:22
Originally posted by Leonidas

the_oz hasnt proven his words are not just assumptions

the news of those debates in greece are prove.
however its not abnormal for me anti-turkism because its hard to live under others rule for long time so people of those nation can dislike turks.

a wikipedia stuff about this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Turkism

but after i see this anti ethnic list i have understand that we are not alone in this worldLOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anti-ethnic_and_anti-national_terms
    Ovidius View Drop Down
    Baron
    Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 11:45
    Does the word "Trakyalı" have any connection to the word you use for other people who live in the Balkans?
    bg_turk View Drop Down
    Sultan
    Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 12:24
    Originally posted by the_oz

We use word "Trakyalı" for Turkish Balkanians.

There are also around a million Turks in Bulgaria - we call ourselves Rumelli.
    bg_turk View Drop Down
    Sultan
    Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 12:26
    Originally posted by Ovidius

Does the word "Trakyalı" have any connection to the word you use for other people who live in the Balkans?

Trakyali literally means Thracian. It may also denote Bulgarian Thracians and Greek Thracians depending on context.
    Bulldog View Drop Down
    Caliph
    Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 13:00
    Why was the name "Balkan" adopted? its a Turkic word, there is a province in Turkmkenistan called "Balkan" which is interesting.

What were the Balkans called before it aquired this name?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
    Albert Pine

Ovidius View Drop Down
    Baron
    Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 15:50
    They aquired this name from the West, not from the East. I believe Rumelia is the orignal name, which is Land of Rome? Before that It was just part of the Byzantine Empire I believe? But I'm not sure exactly. Rumelia was the name used in the 18th century in the West, before the Balkans term was adopted.

Cheers bg_turk...

Rumelli are people 'people of Rumelia' right? Are Bulgarian Turks like a certain type of Turkic people, like Gaugauz or Chuvash? or are they literally the Turks from the Ottoman Empire?
    Leonidas View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 21:54

I have to disagree with this. Albania is more anti-Turkish than Greece because it sees a need to distinguish itself from the Turks. Albania is primarily Muslim and has a fairly similar culture to Turkey. Its quite obvious that they have to assert the independence of their ethnicity from the Turks.
    Albanians are similar to other balkans groups, including their neighbours us greeks. Similarities in religion doesnt always translate to similar cultures or indentities. It is this type of logic that serbian peasants in bosnia started to massacre bosnian muslims. I remeber them calling bosnians 'turks', projecting their historical 'other' onto their muslim neighbours whom share the same language and culture.

Greece has a long standing position as a nation, it isn't a new nations, its an ancient nation. Its nationalism does not fall on a resistence to the Turks, it falls back on its ancient past.
    Really its a bit of both, not one over the other. Greece isnt a nation with a static indentity or continues history as a living entity

Nationalism certainly isn't for poor and weak people, nor is Albanian and Serbian nationalism primitive.
    I would of though that the socio-economic enviroment would  have an effect on politics and nationalism.
    bg_turk View Drop Down
    Sultan
    Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 23:47

They aquired this name from the West, not from the East. I believe Rumelia is the orignal name, which is Land of Rome? Before that It was just part of the Byzantine Empire I believe? But I'm not sure exactly. Rumelia was the name used in the 18th century in the West, before the Balkans term was adopted.

Cheers bg_turk...

Rumelli are people 'people of Rumelia' right? Are Bulgarian Turks like a certain type of Turkic people, like Gaugauz or Chuvash? or are they literally the Turks from the Ottoman Empire?

Most Bulgarian Turks are settlers from the 15-16th century, mostly from central Anatolia. The Turks in the north may also have Tatar mixtures.

The Gagauz are a Turkic people who probably came with the indigenous Bulgarians, who were not assimilated by the Slavs and retained their original Turkic language -  they are of the christian faith.

Leonidas View Drop Down
    Tsar
    Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 23:50
    Originally posted by Leonidas

the_oz hasnt proven his words are not just assumptions

the news of those debates in greece are prove.
      what debates? what text books? what news?, i have yet to see real proof of your assertions.

a wikipedia stuff about this subject

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Turkism
      hmm quotes from individuals, with of POV intrepetations of politics, movies etc but nothing to back up what you said (no recent or ongoing institutional participation). Im not disputing whats in there, but i dont think its unique to turks, rather typical "other" group stereotypes, xenophobia, bigotry, etc

As you may have already noticed with all that anti- <fill in here> wiki section.Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>