Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLions vs. Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>
Poll Question: If lions and tigers were to have a deathmatch, who would win?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [38.46%]
24 [61.54%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lions vs. Tigers
    Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 14:24

The Romans brought some tigers from Asia and made them to fight against the lions. This fight was not scientific investigation, but merely an entertainment for the Roman citizens.

According to their records, tigers won more than lions in terms of statistics. But do you think that's true? Are tigers stronger than lions? Or did the Romans intentionally weakened the lions for entertainment? What do you think?

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 14:30
Overall - Tigers. They have extremely powerful forelimbs (more so than a lion) and are far more agile and athletic. I question the ability of a Sumatran Tiger though - being only about 100kg to a male lion's 220kg...Have you seen the crocodile-tiger fights on land Pekau?
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 14:34
From my childhood until now I always doubt about power of lion over tiger. I am sure now Tiger are more powerful than lion.
Anfører
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 14:36
Originally posted by Knights

Overall - Tigers. They have extremely powerful forelimbs (more so than a lion) and are far more agile and athletic. I question the ability of a Sumatran Tiger though - being only about 100kg to a male lion's 220kg...Have you seen the crocodile-tiger fights on land Pekau?

No, have you? Do you know where I could see it in internet? Tiger used to by my favorite animal... Smile

I heard that lions tend to fight only when they are hungry or when they are threatened. When they finish the meal, the lion (male) just lay around and don't even bother to catch the rabbit that just walk pass the lion...LOL

Join us.
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:16
I think a male lion would of won. They are much more used to fight.

They always have to protect their territory against rival male lions.

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 15:18

Besides. lions don't get the title King for nothing.

They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 16:51
I agree with Cent. A male lion is built to fight, and fight often. Tigers, while large and probably more powerful, do not fight as often as lions, so I think a male lion would win in a fight. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:02
I've seen only 1 animal fight video in my life - a female lion vs a female tiger fight staged by Japanese "scientists" - and it made me angry so I decided to never again watch something like that.  Anyhow, it was a to-the-death fight & the result was quite even; both animals mortally wounded each other & died in separate corners of the cell while pausing for rest.  I discourage any interest in this subject.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 17:22
I saw the same video Dead
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:10
What do you think about Liger much bigger than both.

Anfører
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:37
Originally posted by Hellios

I've seen only 1 animal fight video in my life - a female lion vs a female tiger fight staged by Japanese "scientists" - and it made me angry so I decided to never again watch something like that.  Anyhow, it was a to-the-death fight & the result was quite even; both animals mortally wounded each other & died in separate corners of the cell while pausing for rest.  I discourage any interest in this subject.

Like Romans' gladiators... I don't see how deathmatch became popular from my point of view...Dead

I didn't know that Japanese scientists could actually do that. Tigers and rare species, and I don't think biologists could get permission to experiment a deathmatch between tiger and lion... Deadmeh, I will watch it soon.

And I thought liger was just a myth. Holy crap, this is awkward...Sleepy

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 18:39
Originally posted by Cent

Like every other species, yes. Tigers need to protect their terrirory and against rival male tigers... Many, if not all, males have this situations. Heck, even humans do that as well...LOL

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 23:40
The Japanese kill whales for "research" too...
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 15:33
An average tiger is much more bigger and powerful than an average lion.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by Cent

So male tigers don't tend to fight? Yes male lions do defend their territory by fighting, but so do male tigers. However, most know that male lions do not usually participate in the hunts - that is left to the lionesses. A fight does not come up every day, so the male lion can just patrol and mark his territory, while the lionesses are doing the dirty work.
In tigers -who are generally solitary- the male cannot rely upon the female to hunt for him. He must not only hunt for himself, but defend, patrol and mark his territory at the same time. This is a lot more strenuous and time consuming.
When it comes down to the hard facts and physical behaviours and adaptations that would prove advatagous over the other, the tiger comes out on top.

Let's look at the lion's statistics first.

African Lion
Wieght - Up to 220kg (Male)
Speed - 80kph (Probably 70kph max for a male)
Adaption for fights - large mane to look imposing as well as to protect vital organs in the neck and head, plus the typical shared characteristics with tigers - long, sharp canines, retractile claws, bulk, large batting paws.etc.
Typical prey - Wildebeest, Cape Buffalo, Zebra

Tiger
Some subspecies: Siberian Tiger - Up to 350kg and 2.5 - 3m long
Bengal Tiger - Up to 230kg and 3m long
Sumatran Tiger - About 120kg and up to 2.4m long
Shared Adaptions - Speed (70kph), superb jumping ability due to enhanced hind leg muscles, longest canines of all cats, huge paws, powerful front legs for pulling when running, and taking down prey single-handedly, paralytic roar.
Typical Prey - Deer, Water Buffalo, Wild Pig

Now if we compare those statistics we discover that the tiger, overall is larger and more agile than a typical male lion. With the protection of the mane comes inmaneouverability, extra baggage. One particular that would probably prove the edge for the tiger is the extremely powerful front legs it has. They are used for pulling the tiger forward in pursuit and are neccessary for taking down large prey. They agility would also be a major factor.

If you have ever seen a tiger fight in the wild, they fight in a very different fashion to male lions. While lions tend to bat at each other and try to claw each others faces, also trying to get a bite to the others back or neck, tigers have a much more fierce and tiring approach to conflict. Tigers wrestle like house cats, locking together and rolling around in a frenzy in an attempt to tire, claw, shred and tear at the other. While lion fights end in death rarely, tiger fights are responsible for a much higher percentage of male tiger's deaths.

My conclusion is that the tiger would cause fatal wounds to the lion, but in doing so cop several nasty lacerations itself. The tiger would win, while the lion would die. The combination of agility, raw power and muscular strength and size would be on the tiger's side.

Note: In India's Gir Forest, the last refuge of Asiatic lions in the world, tigers have been known to have killed the lions in fights.

And in response to Pekau, yes I have seen footage of a tiger taking down or fighting a crocodile on several occasions. Once on land, where the tiger obviously had the advantage and drove the croc away, and another in the water (a river) where the [exceptionally large male Bengal may I say] tiger killed a small crocodile (about 2m long). This is still a hefty effort considering the crcocodile was in its element.

- Knights -
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2012 at 00:55
Here's a some Animal Experts that say that lions usally always win against the tiger.

The Memoirs of Cleopatra
In the Roman gladitorial day's Lions took on tigers, bears, bulls, and wild boars. Usually the lion won. page 284” (BOOK)
-
1.Animal Expert Dave hoover said lions majoritly always win against tigers.
2.Indian zooligist an big cat Expert Jam sahib says lions always win.
3. Animal Trainer and Expert Louis roth favors the lion over the tiger in a fight.
4. Animal Expert Alfred court favors the lion over the tiger in a fight.
5.Animal expert John helliot favor’s the lion over the tiger in a fight.
6.Animal Expert Dave salmoni says h’ed give the edge to a lion in a fight with a tiger.
7.Animal Expert and God father predator tamer Clyde beatty says lions will win more fights with tiger’s.
8.Animal Expert an tamer Oliver goldsmith ranked the lion over the tiger.
9.Animal Expert an Tamer Courtney cooper said lions usally win more in tiger fight’s.
10.Animal Expert Geroge buffon picked lions over tigers in a fight.
-
And here's some real documented accounts, of lions killing tigers 1 on 1.
-
1.Gieniuss books/Animal facts, Lion named Nero killed Tim the tiger in an australian zoo.(Documantry)
2.1936 Agartala zoo in bengal, a lion kills a tiger.(Local news report)
3.1935 Sikestonians saw a lion kill a tiger in a local town circus act.(Documentry)
4.1934 2 tigers died, In the movie devil tiger from a lion-(Video)
5.1955 oct, 6 Natrual history society, Page 465-468, 3 seperate accounts lion won all 3.(Documentry)
6.1960 Korea pitfights Male lions won majority of all fights.( Hidden news Report)
7.1981 Martin. L Albert witnessed a lion kill a tiger.(Documentry)
8.1954 Lion kills tiger with one blow in boltimore zoo.(Documantry)
9.1935 In the town Bedford masachusetts a Zoo lost a tiger to a lion.(Local news)
10.Gir foreset 3 tigers vs 3 lions, all lions won. (Video) -Youtube-
11.2011 Korea two teen lions killed a adult Bengal tiger in an encloser.(Video)- Youtube-
-
Be honset to thy self!
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 22:09
Does this site allow pic's?
-
Be honset to thy self!
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2012 at 22:16
Play this song while you view the historical document's, to get a better feel in how the Lion held on to his title of the...
"King of the beast"...here...
http://cdn03.hulkshare.com/dev3/0/002/807/0002807716.fid/Celtic+Music.mp3?key=158d55c0a7cfc44a79554713173f78c2&dl=1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
{Recorded Historical Document’s of Lion’s Killing Tiger account’s}

2.1936 Agartala zoo in bengal, a lion kills a tiger. (Local news report)
3.1935 Sikestonians saw a lion kill a tiger in a local town circus
act.(Documentary)
http://newspaperarchive.com/danville-bee/1935-09-16/
4. In the movie "the big cage"...you know that movie where ton's of people lied that said the female tiger had a death grip, well everyone who shot the movie said the tiger only had the mane, an before that shot 2 other tiger's died, along with "Bobby' a male tiger not female an here's his documented statement...-(Video)

which clyde beatty is talking about lion’s in general^^^… when they are intermidiate family they will gang up on tiger’s other than that, lion’s will not help another lion, and are exellent free for all fighter’s an all clyde beatty’s fight’s for the movie was one on one.
5.1955 oct, 6 Naturual history society, Page 465-468, 3 separate
accounts lion won all 3.(Documentary)
6.1960 Korea pit fights Male lions won majority of all fights stated by zoo keeper lee young phil.(Hidden news Report)
http://animal-tigers.blogspot.com/2011/02/dominated-by-black-tigers-in-everland.html
lee young phil statement said, there were a few tiger and lion fight’s staged an recorded, and only one that the female tigris fought the lioness was aired… with harsh wording’s of the korean narrirator saying, the lion was no match for there symbol of power, yet it was a 50/50 fight having the tigeress the one bleeding to death. Also saying they were edited an spliced in favor of the tiger, which if there were more than a few male fight’s recorded, why werent they ever shown. It is highly concluded the male lion’s won all, an the video’s were destroyed due to cultrual idlelization’s of the korean’s. Here’s the other alibi to that same fight here…
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Korea/HA28Dg01.html
7.1981 Martin. L Albert witnessed a lion kill a tiger.(Documentary)
8.1954 Lion kills tiger with one blow in Boltimore zoo.(Documentary)
9.1935 In the town Bedford, Masachusetts a zoo lost a tiger to a
lion.(Local news)
10.Gir foreset 3 tigers vs 3 lions, all lions won. (Video) -Youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdpiIxMnMM   
11.2011 Korea two teen lions killed a adult male Bengal tiger in an
enclosure.(Video)- Youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNlRBGq3rmk
The story was one of the worker’s were on break, an went down the road to a store taking the key’s to the gate an car they usually break up minor scruffle’s with, , when two… 1.5 year old boy cub’s chased around an harrased a adult male bengal tiger, until he colapsed from exaustion,

He tried despertaly to protect himself,…

but the two 1.5 year old brother’s showed no mercy, the tiger roared with hurendous moan’s in agony, after on looker’s shouted for the lion’s to stop shortly after one got a hold of his throat an took his life…

You see that^^^ every tiger fanatic claim's a tiger can take on 6 lion's, yet not when a lion is is persuing the tiger in intent, not just trying to dominate the tiger, an keep in mind they were only still teen cub's.
12. King Edward the lion kill’s Dan the male tiger. (Book)

13.Calcutta zooligical garden’s a lioness kills a male tiger(New’s article)

14.Gambier bulton, brittish mengerine saw a lioness kill a tiger.(New’s article)
15.1925 Rudolf kludsky had said several lions had killed his tiger’s. A few years later, Rudolf Kludsky again decided to train a mixed group (22 animals). Mistake. It took three months to get them used to each other. But they were not yet ready to perform. During one of the first shows, the nervous and inexperienced animals engaged in a free for all. One tiger was killed by a lion. Source=Tiger fan named Peter Yuku .com
16. M. Herbert’s mengerine lion kills male royal bengal tiger. (New’s article)

17.1970 pittsburgh Press lion kill’s tiger in india.(Video)
18. Mr F.c owner of bowstock had a lion kill a tiger before his act.(New’s article)
19.1949 in fitchburg a lion kill’s Roger the male tiger in circus act.(New’s article)
20 1851, In the “Landshuter Zeitung” a lion killed a tiger.(German new’s atricle)
http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/topic/2388/Velar-Male-Lion-vs-Royal-Bengal-Tiger-valauble-rare-account-
21.1985 Alan gold’s circus lion kill’s tigerAlan Gold also had a mixed group. In 1985, a free for all erupted. He lost two lions and one tiger. The lions were killed by other lions. The tiger was killed by a lion. Gold, regarding the way both cats fight, compared to Beatty. He stated lions fight in a calculated way, whereas tigers, in a free for all, are nervous and vulnarable. Source=Tiger fan named Peter Yuku.com
22. Lion kills tiger: in a circus (February 1951. Detroit).

23. Lioness kills tiger: Happened in a zoo (September 1951. Madras Zoological Gardens).
http://animalsversesanimals.yuku.com/sreply/8061/t/Some-new-accounts-just-for-fun-.html
24. Dave hoover stated many tiger’s were killed by his lion’s, now many mean's more than 3 since he had over 40 year's in the bizness I wont go less than 4 but since I'm still working on exactly how many, I'll safely say 4...

25. Beatty cole lion’s kill his tiger’s

26.Clyde beatty’s circus act Ceasar the lion kill’s bobby the male tiger.
27. Bavenna, OH, Lioness kills tigress
28. 2008 Cheongi the lion kills 50 pound bigger siberian tigress name Hobi jeonju zoo.This is Hobi the tiger before the incident sparing with a friendly lion…

An this is Hobi after the incident with Cheongi the not so friendly lion…
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/12/117_36355.html
29. 2006 lion mate’s kill huge white tigress in leberic and czech zoo. There was only one bite mark on Isabella’s throat an no other wound’s concluding, even though 2 lion’s occupied the same encloser with Isabella the tiger, only one lion attacked isabella.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-11-19-Czech-Republic_N.htm
30. Lion kills Puna the male tiger

31. A lion kills a tiger in a palace of an indian prince in front of thosuand’s

It’s on this site called tiger territory, on lairweb .com a site with over a 100 page's dedicated to the tiger here…

32, TIGER; THE STORY OF THE INDIAN TIGER 1977 By Kailash Sankhala. Saw four accasion’s lion’s defeated tigers in the wild.

His book was taken from his oringinal text here…

33. Indian respected Zoologist Jam sahib, has wittnessed 3 fights having all lion defeat tiger’s in his book here…

also in his summarry when he exploited keshari singh he point’s them out again here…

34. 1834 diary of a lterature lion defeat’s tiger.

35. A lion kills a bear and tiger in 1 fight in the old pit fight's in Vienna.

37. Bob greene speak’s of an old video of local’s of india having a pit fight with a lion fighting a tiger, and the lion won, due to his mane…

38. The lion also is protected around the neck by the heavy mane, which is an advantage. There is one instance I remember where a full grown lion and tiger engaged in combat, by unforeseen chance of course. It was when the John O’ Brien Show had its winter quarters in Philadelphia and I was connected with it. “A lion and a tiger were in a compartment cage, with a partition between. In some manner this partition was battered down in the night and the two big felloes got together. They had probably been issuing challenges to each other and promising what they would do to one another if the chance came. When morning arrived we found the two in the lion’s cage, the tiger dead and the lion all chew and clawed to pieces, but still full of fight.”
~George Conklln, “Adventures With a Circus”

39.Another lion kills male tiger(Fort Wayne Gazette, 1882
40. male lion kills male tiger, The Hammond Times, 1935 ,
41.male lion kills male tiger(Tri-City Herald, 1956 ,
42.male lion kills male tiger , F. Jefferies, 1834
43.male lion kills male tiger, Fort Wayne, 1902
NEW YORK. Nov. 2. -Tradition that the tiger is a better animal then the lion in a fight has been disproved as Sr. Nicholas Garden, where one of the biggest striped denizens of the Bengal jungles is suffering from rips and tears inflicted upon him by one of the late king of the South Africa forests. The press agent did not give this story out. Probably he would lose his job if he had, for Bostock is careful to suppress any news tending to show that his animals ever exhibit sanguinary instincts when in the arena. The two big cats in question were brought together several days ago to become familiarized with each other for purposes of a contemplated act in the show ring. The tiger walked nervously up to the lion and began rubbing his nose over the latter's haunches. A low growl was the response. But when the tiger inserted his teeth in the lion's mane, Leo uttered a roar, unmasked his ivories and crouched. The tiger retreated a few feet and then sprang high in the air, intending to come down on the lion. But Leo deftly side-stepped and when the tiger alighted he grabbed it by the head. A twisting of the teeth and a large section of the tiger's face, including one eye, was gone. The trainers and attendants now tried to separate the beasts, which for several minutes rolled over and over each other, snarling, roaring, biting and scratching. Finally they were separated. The tiger, mutilated and bleeding, cowered in a corner, while the lion was defiant in another.

FORT WAYNE MORNING JOURNAL GAZETTE, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 1902.
44,...lion kills male tiger Syracuse Herald, 1929
http://newspaperarchive.com/syracuse-herald/1929-09-15/page-84/
45.,lion kills tiger O. Breland, 1963
.A Lioness slew a male Bengal Tiger (Ward, Lock, Bowden, 1896 )
46.Animal reserve:Lion kills 2 tigers one juvi siberian tiger and 1 adult bengal tiger, an had 1 lion whiped 2 tigers in the same cage…

...I seen a african lion maul our adolescent male Siberian tiger to death. The adolescent was a year old. It is extremely sad that these fights are used for entertainment but at the same time I was awed to see one lion defeat two large tigers with all 3 animals in the cage at the same time.
-My teammates and I were transporting a male African Lion into a cage neighboring a Bengal Tigers cage in Kenya. There was a small opening in between the two cages for intermingling of neighboring animals. It was supposed to be closed at the time but someone forgot to close it. The lion sprang from the transportation container through the opening and mauled the tiger of similar size. We tranquilized the lion but it was too late. Two days later, the tiger died due to fatal wounds. It was a very one sided fight where the lion spent much time chasing the tiger.
http://peperonity.com/go/sites/mview/junglebook/14687797%28p5%29
-
-
There you have it, those ^^^ are some account's of lion's killing tiger's an if you do a head count at-least 5 individual's have 3-4 account's in 1 number label, so all together we are already in the hundredth mark, along with this man right here name Clyde beatty...

He has been in the bizness over 40 year's, he had the world's biggest act of mixing lion's and tiger's together in the same giant steel cage, an was one of the only show-men to succsesfully do it. So in term's he was asked in a new's report how many accidental brawl's had occured, an here's what he stated just early on his career, here...

-
An that's just early on his career^^^, at almost the end of his career, Clyde was asked again, an he stated he lost 4 lion's that was killed by his tiger's but he lost around 50 tiger's killed by his lion's, so that's roughly around a 45 to be safe, but I'll present that article again when I get my hand's on it for credabilty. Also the account's without article's can be viewed on Circus history .com or by new york time's newspaper article .com, which I'll join the link to the article next time around. So all together so far that's around a 150 clean account's of lion's defeating and killing tiger's, there's only around 40 at best of the oposite.
-
Again the list is forever growing, and coward's alway's try to conseal and hide the truth like wiki, jackjacksonj .com, differ .com, indragit .com an ton's more by presenting Bia's lie's faked account's and poor an random data to favor what is barly true, but be honest to your self because the truth alway's rises above the lie's, so rise above it.
Be honset to thy self!
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 18:31
[size=24]{ROMAN TIME'S OF ALL DIFFERENT SOURCE'S LION'S WON}
Rabbi Ken Spiro

Jewish remnet's preserved scripture's translated to English on a history of Rome through the jewish eye's...

“Next, the arena was lowered to feature combat between them as lions tore apart tigers, an went up against bears, croc’s leopards against wolves. It goes without saying that the Romans had never heard of animal rights.”

As a rabbi, he paid particular attention to how Judaism impacted, and was influenced by, the course of these developments. The result is a highly readable and well-documented book about the origins of values and virtues in Western civilization as influenced by the Greeks, Romans, Christians, Muslims and, most significantly, the Jews.
~Ken Spiro; WorldPerfect Simcha Press, Sep 1, 2002 - 400 pages
http://kenspiro.com/articles.php
-
#2.
Rome Italy, Lion killing tiger Historical artifact 17th-18th century...

http://www.galerieheim.fr/oeuvre-details3.php?id_oeuvre=116&lng=2
This ^ Exhibition was organized by the Napoleonic authorities in the Capitol in Rome.

^Born in Bohemia, Johan Wenzel Peter made his artistic career in Rome . There, he became the most popular animalist painter of his time. In the villa Borghese he painted frescoes of over 160 animals and participated in the decoration of Palazzo Chigi and Palazzo Altieri. At the beginning of the XIXth century, Peter enjoyed an international fame. After his death, pope Gregory XVI purchased eleven works still in his workshop, among which was the monumental Garden of Eden (Vatican Museums)
In the late 2nd century BC, many of the Boii tribe, after defeat at Roman hands, fled north across the Alps from northern Italy into an area called Boihaemum by the Romans, which included the southern part of present-day Bohemia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemia
-
#3.
The Memoirs of Cleopatra
Margaret George/American=not british
was born in Nashville, Tennessee. Her father joined the U.S. Foreign Service when she was four, and thus she lived all over the world—Taiwan, Israel, and Germany—before she was thirteen. She was exposed early to historical sites and learned that legends might have a historical basis, attending school in Jaffa, Israel, where Jonah set sail (en route to meeting the whale) and living on the Rhine in Germany across from the Drachenfels, where Siegfried of the Nibelungenlied killed the dragon.

She graduated from Tufts University with a B.A. and Stanford University with an M.A. co-majoring in biological science and English literature. She worked as a science writer for several years at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Since then she has lived in El Salvador and Sweden, and now calls Madison, Wisconsin, home.
“They took on tigers, bulls, and wild boars. Usually the lion won. page 284” {BOOK}

http://books.google.com/books?id=aMDoC0qKRwcC&pg=PA284&dq=the+memoirs+of+cleopatra+usually+the+lion+won+page+284&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MyOLUM_0HsGuigKhg4DAAg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA
[Yes a novel, but still from a historian]

-
#4.
Rome~ Lair of the lion that mangled a tiger 16th century

~Carl Borromäus Andreas Ruthart
Died in Rome L’Aqulia
Born in the Holy Roman Empire. of the German Nation, Carl Borromäus Andreas Ruthart travelled to Italy very early on. His trace can be found in Rome and Venice between 1652 and 1659. After finishing his apprenticeship, he came to work in Antwerp in order to perfect his knowledge.
After going into the Church, he continued to paint a great number of profane subjects threw life held experinces such as extensive hunting scenes or animals fighting. It was only late in life, after retiring to a convent in the Abruzzo region, that Ruthart dedicated himself to celebrating the life of hermits and saints at prayer.
http://www.dejonckheere-gallery.com/en/Ruthart_Carl_Borromaus_Andreas-5.html?m=1&id=152

-
#5.
Martin Seyer's dissertation Vienna University

A historian is a person who studies and writes about the past and is regarded as an authority on it. Historians are concerned with the continuous, methodical narrative and research of past events as relating to the human race; as well as the study of all history in time. If the individual is concerned with events preceding written history, the individual is a historian of prehistory. Although "historian" can be used to describe amateur and professional historians alike, it is reserved more recently for those who have acquired graduate degrees in the discipline. Some historians, though, are recognized by publications or training and experience. "

1.The historian must treat sources with appropriate reservations;
2.The historian must not dismiss counterevidence without scholarly consideration;
3.The historian must be even-handed in treatment of evidence and eschew "cherry-picking";
4.The historian must clearly indicate any speculation;
5.The historian must not mistranslate documents or mislead by omitting parts of documents;
6.The historian must weigh the authenticity of all accounts, not merely those that contradict a favored view; and
7.The historian must take the motives of historical actors into consideration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historian
It is generally assumed that around 80-100 AD the Asian lion had become extinct in Greece and in the rest of Europe. In Western-Asia they remained widespread for the time being. In the Holy Land lions disappeared during the Crusades. In Pakistan the Asian lion was exterminated in 1810, in Turkey in 1870. In Iraq the last lion died in 1918 and in Iran (Persia) the last Asian lion was spotted by railway workers in 1942.

"Another subspecies very closely related to the Asian lion - the Barbary lion or Panthera leo leo - became extinct in the wild in 1922 (in Morocco). This animal the Barbary lion had been the dominant animal in the blood sports of the Roman arenas."
~Martin Seyer's dissertation (synopsis), Vienna University.

Martin Seyer is a native Viennese archaeologist and historian who has been lecturing and leading groups in his city and abroad for many years. Deeply knowledgeable about all aspects of Vienna, Martin possesses a broad perspective and is able to make connections between his hometown and the wider European world.
http://www.contexttravel.com/city/vienna/tour-guides
http://www.pothos.org/content/index.php?page=lions
The Department of History is devoted to the research and teaching of history from the Middle Ages to the present in an interdisciplinary context, and welcomes a variety of conceptual, methodological and theoretical approaches to historical scholarship. Among its main areas of research are the History of the Holy Roman Empire
http://www.geschichte.hu-berlin.de/lehre-und-studium/studiengaenge/ma_arts/european_joint/unis/university-of-vienna-universitaet-wien

Tiger territory
A site dedicated of information to the tiger has studyed the Roman history of tiger's which is on lairweb.com has stated tiger's were reluctant to enter combat as much as lion's greeted foe's in the arena, also proven in same concept of everland's video's how male lion's show high agression at time's an drive off tiger's proclaiming there natrual dominant trait's.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w25/atrox_photo/nuevo/roma.jpg
http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/

Roman Royal Athena of a lion with a death grip on a tiger

It is quite common for the seller of a artifact to not give details for they are the average person finding an posting what they are trying to sell, but it is quite understandble that some lions maintain there spots as adults...as seen spots maintained as adult hood by Simba the lion...
http://i1017.photobucket.com/albums/af291/KingOfEurope/45yedsdy.jpg?t=1306200659
an you can see there is a configuration of a mane so its more so a lion which upoun deeming winners threw its story they usually (Romans) put who was the victor of the combat on the top which you can clearly see the lions head in-twining down.

Adolph Hausrath

(13 January 1837 – 2 August 1909), a German theologian
Theology (from Greek ɶÉ√fiV meaning "God" and É…fiÉ¡ÉÕV, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and its influences and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology

He was educated at Jena, Göttingen, Berlin and Heidelberg, where he became Privatdozent in 1861, professor extraordinary in 1867 and ordinary professor in 1872. He was a disciple of the TÃ1⁄4bingen school and a strong Protestant.

http://www.homeshop18.com/antinous-romance-ancient-rome/author:adolf-hausrath/isbn:9781459078611/books/miscellaneous/product:24478170/cid:14567/

#9.
Roman sculpture of a lion biting the throat of a tiger...
Roman sculpture of a lion biting the throat of a tiger...

~ In which again uploaders who sell the product who dosent have any affiliational knowledge of its oragin will have wrongfully name the antique, as there are thousands of Ebay uploaders who mistakenly name a lion a tiger or a tiger a lion, as any one who has vass knowledge of tiger an lion anatomys would know that its not a lioness but a tiger, for lionesses do not have tufts of hair on there cheeks,
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlXVq8RWOHcGl8xFV0wU4UxhkHy6J6LMLliWa_dx_3soUz97CpVUgC6FFd

only tigers of both female an male do.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5rj-kqcv6ujx4yu3sca1tTrPA8PeZ9p-qDAA78alL22qVwpGYt-Byb9M

#10.
Edward Beecher

Theology (from Greek ɶÉ√fiV meaning "God" and É…fiÉ¡ÉÕV, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and its influences and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Beecher
Lost Atlantis Or the Great Deluge of All lion dfeats tiger
Lost Atlantis Or the Great Deluge of All
And slew before their wond'ring sight, A wild beast conquered in the fight. A tiger who confronting stood And from this lion sought for blood ; But in this sanguinary strife The tiger sacrificed his life. While with flesh torn from slaughtered prey, ...
http://books.google.com/books?id=VwzA4gENNOUC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=lions+slew+fight+tiger&source=bl&ots=9CU5hIxytT&sig=EqyrCd5x1yafy2uDAgC3hUqvWz0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1Y8IUOuPJqrq2AXKwcTPBw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ

#11.
Statue near the coloiseum in Nepal of a lion over comeing a tiger...
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KfXm6QzlOl4/SX-JaFClajI/AAAAAAAAApQ/m_sqELU4ZGk/s1600-h/lion+statue+cope.jpg

#12.
The lion mangles in his lair the tiger of the east of Armenia
[Charles Scribner's Sons, or simply Scribner,/American]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Scribner's_Sons
http://books.google.com/books?id=j8hZAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA563&lpg=PA563&dq=lion+fights+combat+tiger++dead+abu&source=bl&ots=Fdgs65WC2_&sig=H7vWueW753wdCAb9rkRSImuqoKs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MnQGUJaIHKGQ2QWN7PW_BQ&ved=0CCQQ6AewAA
~The Century, Volume 53 (Google eBook)
Scribner & Company, 1897

#13.
Lion defeating tiger in combat Royal Emperyium of Rome...
Copper engraving by the well listed Italian artist Pietro Aquila (1650-1692 Rome). Pietro Aquila was an Italian painter and printmaker of the Baroque period. He was born in Palermo. He mentored his nephew, the printmaker Francesco Faraone Aquila.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietro_Aquila

Thomas Gray
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/PortraitThomasGrayByJohnGilesEccart1747to1748.jpg/220px-PortraitThomasGrayByJohnGilesEccart1747to1748.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historian

Places of Thomas gray’s roman/italian studys…

Genoa (Genova province, Liguria, Italy), inhabited place [7008546]
A seaport on the Mediterranean Sea in north-west[color] Italy, Genoa is the capital of Liguria. It is famous for its Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace) and the Cattedrale di San Lorenzo (St. Lawrence Cathedral). Gray visited Genoa, having travelled there from Turin,for a few days in November 1739 while on the Grand Tour with Horace Walpole. He described his very positive impressions of the city, the harbour, and the Mediterranean in a letter to his friend West sent from there on 21 November.

And more than 8 other places I rome here…
http://www.thomasgray.org/resources/glplaces.shtml

The vestal; or, A tale of Pompeii lion defeats tiger
Abstract:
http://books.google.com/books?id=dztAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA44&dq=lion+tiger+pompeii+standing+over&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Mn8IUcu3OsH3igKN3IGYCA&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA
http://books.google.com/books?id=dztAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA45&dq=lion+tiger+pompeii+standing+over&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html

Museums and Their Development:Lion kills tiger saving man
http://books.google.com/books?id=4ILtFslJTDQC&pg=PA251&lpg=PA251&dq=lion+and+tiger+sculpture+italy&source=bl&ots=_zZtRj-Xbt&sig=oeLY3wwRpGtG6PCWb1OlQ64zL6Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZwgPUKSmNMuJiwLE74HIDw&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAw
~Museums and Their Development: The European Tradition, 1700-1900, Volume 3
Psychology Press, 1656 - Museums - 287 pages

Facts and Details
Decapitating ostriches with crescent-headed arrows was a favorite trick at gladiator battles. The crowds cheered and roared with laughter as the ostrich continued to run around after its head was cut off. Bears usually defeated bulls. Packs of hounds easily dispatched deers. [Lions usually defeated tigers.] Not even a rhino could penetrate the hide of an elephant.
http://factsanddetails.com/world.php?itemid=2061&catid=56&subcatid=369

Storia di David Lazzaretti,
Lion kills tiger an 6 other beast

Davide Lazzaretti (1834-1878) was the leader of the Giusdavidic Church in Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davide_Lazzeretti
http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA113&lpg=PA113&dq=leone+combatte+tigre&sig=w0d_xOxENMM5iCcMi_RkMsgO4uk&ei=y-drUPuaKIWUjALxrID4Cw&id=xAwuAAAAYAAJ&ie=ISO-8859-1&ots=l7uQE-uEp2&output=html_text

Latin artifact of a lion that killed a tiger

Phaedrus (Greek: É≥Éø?ɬɜÉÕV), (c. 444 BC – 393 BC), an Athenian aristocrat depicted prominently in Plato's dialogues

#19 Greek statue of a lion killing a tiger…

Another site that dosent identify what they are selling…This is no mastiff, there are plain as day stripes on the belly of the animal the lion is attacking.

Artifact from Rome Italy of a lion defeating a tiger

Drawn by:
Théodore Géricaul:

Born in Rouen, France, Géricault was educated in the tradition of English sporting art by Carle Vernet and classical figure composition by Pierre-Narcisse Guérin, a rigorous classicist who disapproved of his student's impulsive temperament yet recognized his talent. Géricault soon left the classroom, choosing to study at the Louvre instead, where (from 1810 to 1815) he copied from paintings by Peter Paul Rubens, Titian, Diego Velázquez, and Rembrandt. During this period at the Louvre he discovered a vitality he found lacking in the prevailing school of Neoclassicism.Much of his time was spent in Versailles, where he found the stables of the palace open to him, and where he gained his knowledge of the anatomy and action of horses.

A trip to Florence, rome, and Naples (1816–17), prompted in part by the desire to flee from a romantic entanglement with his aunt, ignited a fascination with Michelangelo. Rome itself inspired the preparation of a monumental canvas, the Race of the Barberi Horses, a work of epic composition and abstracted theme that promised to be "entirely without parallel in its time".In the event, Géricault never completed the painting, and returned to France. In 1821, he painted The Derby of Epsom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9odore_G%C3%A9ricault

To the Romans the lion is the King of the beast
To the Romans the lion is the King of the beast.
http://books.google.com/books?id=b-ubyslaBRMC&pg=PT17&lpg=PT17&dq=lion+fight+tiger+atlantis&source=bl&ots=wyRf4_FGem&sig=akzO_ZFN27A7E9MdxjpjQ-g2YUw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zZsTUOnoFdSpqQGFg4HIAg&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAQ

Multi-Party Litigation: The Strategic Context
the lion usually always wins

By Wayne V. McIntosh, Cynthia L. Cates
http://books.google.com/books?id=ml_GFGSg8U0C&pg=PA1&lpg=PA1&dq=Roman+lion+always+win&source=bl&ots=6_7U5QZG-T&sig=4cRSZCFP1vQFpbk5LlH7zTdS2mg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gsOFUL3vCMnjiAKbtYGoDg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA

The Book of Beasts: Being a Translation from a Latin Bestiary of the Twelfth The lion is the mighty of beast
By T. H. White
http://books.google.com/books?id=ihy4APkOjioC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=lion+the+mightiest+of+all+beast&source=bl&ots=pG3yypC9vQ&sig=1X_O0dFMKqXR2DTaZc0WekoaRe0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WdKFUO3cBIagiQLC14GIDg&ved=0CFcQ6AEwCQ

Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature, and Practical Mechanics,
Cicero mentions a single lion that won 200 Bestariis
http://books.google.com/books?id=Un9MAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=lion+kills+200+men+amphitheater&source=bl&ots=LKGgqr1QTP&sig=RaWDscaKAXAwPZHMidlvTc4lyko&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Y9WFUP3FOaf1iwKQwoDoAw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg
~Thomas Curtis T. Tegg, 1829
This is cicero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

~U.S. News & World Report, Volume 130

lions usually finished off tigers. But not even the ferocious charge of the rhinoceros could penetrate the thick hide of the elephant. The afternoon brought more variety
~U.S. News & World Report, Volume 130
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=Lions+usually+defeated+tigers.+Not+even+a+rhino+could+penetrate+the+hide+of+an+elephant.&btnG=
-
Annual Editions: Western Civilization, Volume 1, 13/e, Volume 1

Nothing was wasted in the ancient world: not an abandoned baby, not the cloth that kept the ragpicker in business... not even the grains of barley in ... wonldjvin, parks of hnnnrk always beat herds of deer, bears withstood bulls, and lions usually finished off tigers.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Annual+Editions%3A+Western+Civilization%2C+Volume+1%2C+13%2Fe+and+lions+usually+finished+off+tigers.&tbm=bks&tbo=1&btnG=Search
-
A German Archeologist has disphered a Greek remnent that protained to a venatio event of a free for all fight amoungs beast an men, having a lion kill 2 tigers…
Von bubna und littitz

Von wo der larm zu ihm drang, dorthin ritt er schnell,
Auch wenn sein pferd scheute und saumte.
An dem tosenden ort rang ein lowen im duell,
Der sich im kampf gegen zwei tiger aufbaumte

Einem gegen Zwei man helfen musste,
Sprach er, griff flink zur lanze und hehr,
Eh das ungetrum von ihm wusste
Stieb er in einen der tiger den speer

das epos setzt nach den etablierten regeln ahnlich romantischer Ereignisse fort
herman eilt, nachdem er den ersten tiger erlegt hatte, dem lowen im kampf mit dem zweiten tiger zu hilfe, nur dass der lowen in der zwischenzeit den tiger totet und sich aus dankbarkeit, uber und uber mit blut bedeckt, seinem retter zu fuben legt. Bubna wascht und reinigt dessen wunden besteight darauf

By Bubna and Littitz

Where the larm reached him, there he rode quickly,
Even when his horse shied and saumte.
At one place the roaring lions wrestled in the duel,
In the fight against two term aufbaumte

Two against one had any help,
Speech he attacked, nimbly lance and sublime,
Eh the ungetrum he knew
Stieb it into a term of the spear

the epic is similar to the established rules on romantic events
herman hurries after he had killed the first term, the lions in the battle with the second term to help, except that the lions in the meantime kills the tiger and is covered from gratitude, over and over with blood, his savior sets fuben to. Bubna washes and cleans the wounds besteight out

I'll try an translate it better next time around.

Italian of Baglugs antiquitys of Rome

Same as the other artifact, theres tuft of hair on the cheeks of the cat, via=Tiger not lioness.

Latin printings of a lion with a death grip on a tiger...

Edawrd landseer [more info will be provided>

Latin Ring Brooch of a lion defeating a tiger...

The Gentleman's Magazine
Fight In Italy Verona a lion defeats tiger

Mr. Bolton said that a friend of his saw, in the circus at Verona, a battle between a lion, and a tiger, a horse, and an ass. The tiger at first shewed symptoms of fear, and wished to decline the battle with the lion. He fought however at last with great fury j but, though he foiled the lion for a time by his alertness, soon yielded on a close contact to the other's matchless strength. The horse was dreadfully terrified from the first, and became an easy conquest. The ass, the last attacked, was all the time quite unconcerned, browzing on the ground, and when at length assailed, bit and kicked with great fury, but in the end fell. The lion chiefly used his paw, with which he struck tremendous blows..
http://books.google.com/books?id=y2OYNXvykVcC&pg=PA233&dq=sculpture+statue+lion+tiger+fight&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
~A. Dodd and A. Smith, 1834

In the amphitheater of Caerleon lions an tigers fought an there is a artifact of a lion killing a tiger for a antelope imprinted on a latin greek vase
http://books.google.com/books?id=igsOAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA52&lpg=PA52&dq=lion+tiger+caerleon+fight+vase&source=bl&ots=irWQ_O9tpt&sig=O7bfHI5wJgw2c44Svxn9uxIO8RI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kaePULmoDYGIiwK794HYAw&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAw

http://books.google.com/books?id=-GACAAAAQAAJ&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html_text&pg=PA31&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&q=1+lion+the+tiger+and+the+traveller&cds=1&sig=ACfU3U0c6eXyVCRBUL9MJrDtE7BYPY9VSg&edge=0&edge=stretch&ci=156,105,680,511
A TIGER roaming for his prey,
Sprang on a traveller in the way;
A lion came to claim the prize
And soon the greedy tiger dies.
The man then knelt, his life to crave;
His life the lion hero gave,
And him bespoke,—" You saw the fight
And must confess my power and might,
Within these woods I reign alone,
All other beasts my sway must own."
"True," said the man, "the strength 1 saw, All kinds of beasts full well might awe,
~Aesop (pronounced /?i¢∞s?p/ EE-sop, Ancient Greek:Éü?É–É÷πÉÕV, Aisÿpos, c. 620–564 BC)

Blackwood's Edinburgh magazine, Volume 27

No body doubted his courage in the ancient world and the Romans thought him a brave and noble animal…in amphitheaters he always fought with style that gave credit to the desert…
http://books.google.com/books?id=Bx1lkqo4q8YC&pg=PA162&dq=lion+tiger+ancient++fights&hl=en&sa=X&ei=w-7dUMb8LYj-igKB9oH4DQ&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCA
~W. Blackwood & Sons, 1830

"I have seen no fiercer beast than yon lion, even in the amphitheatre of Rome,"
http://books.google.com/books?id=DOwtAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA275&lpg=RA1-PA275&dq=lion+tiger+fight+vivarria++won&source=bl&ots=plKpBUyRYT&sig=LElTQSW0v2IT2ua-uMhH19JAE0A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Od0GUf2DKaK6igLx7YGYDQ&ved=0CCMQ6AEwBA
The works of Edward Lytton Bulwer, esq. in two volumes, Volume 1
E. L. Carey and A. Hart, 1836
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_-_The_Christian_Martyrs%27_Last_Prayer_-_Walters_37113.jpg/400px-Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_-_The_Christian_Martyrs%27_Last_Prayer_-_Walters_37113.jpg

A Tiger, roaming for his prey,
Sprung on a Traveller in the way;
The prostrate game a lion spies,
And on the greedy tyrant flies:
With mingled roar resounds the wood,
Their teeth, their claws, distil with blood;
Till, vanquished by the Lion's strength,
The striped foe extends his length.
The Man besought the shaggy lord,
And on his knees for life implor'd:
His life the generous hero gave.
Together walking to his cave,
The Lion thus bespoke his guest:
'What hardy beast shall dare contest My matchless strength? you saw the fight, And must attest my pow'r and right. Fore'd to forego their native home, My starving slaves at distance roam.
http://books.google.com/books?id=nu8NAAAAQAAJ&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html_text&pg=PA7&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&q=lion+tiger+fight++matchless+strength&cds=1&sig=ACfU3U0FxkFMP8YDK3aDeoQOmwOC8YI8GA&edge=0&edge=stretch&ci=31,0,935,1636
Drawn by:

Richard westall

At this time it was not uncommon to find Italian engravers working in England. The famous stipple engraver, Francesco Bartolozzi (Venice, 1727 - London, 1815) moved to London in 1764 and not long after established a large and influential school with many English and Italian followers, which continued into the early decades of the nineteenth century.
*     It is not known which London publisher commissioned This engraving entitled, Welch Peasants. What is known is that it is one of a set of three dealing with the rustic life of Scotland, Wales and Ireland. Each was engraved by Giuseppe Bortignoni and designed by Richard Westall. The engravings were hand-coloured at the time of publication.
Richard Westall: Some of the finest British engravings from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries were designed by Richard Westall. After attending the Royal Academy schools in London (1785), Richard Westall devoted himself to history and landscape subjects. He was an early practitioner of the watercolour medium and many publishers of illustrated books soon sought his designs for publication of illustrated editions of Gray, Moore, Crabbe and other poets of the day.
http://www.artoftheprint.com/artistpages/bortignoni_giuseppe_welchpeasants.htm

Proof that all the historical documentations did not originate out the fabrications
~Works of the British poets: Including translations from the Greek and Roman authors
John Sharpe, 1828
http://books.google.com/books?id=UIY-AAAAYAAJ&pg=RA2-PA8&dq=lion+tiger+fight++matchless+strength&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3uAGUc6eF8WUjAKem4BY&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBDgK
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZloCAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA14&dq=the+lion+the+tiger+fight+matchless+strength+and+the+traveller&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html_text

[/img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8c/PompeiiStreet.jpg/250px-PompeiiStreet.jpg[/IMG]
The city of Pompeii is a partially buried Roman town-city near modern Naples in the Italian region of Campania, in the territory of the comune of Pompei. Along with Herculaneum, Pompeii was partially destroyed and buried under 4 to 6 m (13 to 20 ft) of ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

VI.12.2 Pompeii. March 2009. Oecus/triclinium mosaic floor. Looking south towards first or middle peristyle.
This floor contained a fine mosaic in such a damaged condition that the subject – a lion standing over a prostrate tiger – could not be made out, until a duplicate was found in 1885.
See Mau, A., 1907, translated by Kelsey F. W. Pompeii: Its Life and Art. New York: Macmillan. (p.295)
http://pompeiiinpictures.com/pompeiiinpictures/R6/6%2012%2002%20p5.htm
Be honset to thy self!
Prime View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2013 at 19:42
I'm baffled to hear constantly that all the experts, trainers and owners or any one who has experince with lions and tigers have gave there opinion a tiger would win in a fight...so I did a little research, an I found only a hand full, not quite the repertwah of the abundentcy as most claims.

Heres a list of experts who have mainstream experince, of majority of there lives being around tigers and lions.

Experts who favor the lion in a fight with a tiger

---{2009}---

David salmoni

Salmoni wears many hats. He's a zoologist, a renowned animal trainer, a television presenter and a producer with his own South Africa-based production company, Triosphere. And, Salmoni successfully has been able to marry all these titles, emphasizing one common denominator — his love for animals. In 1998, Salmoni began his apprenticeship as an animal trainer at Bowmanville Zoological Park near Toronto, one of the world's largest humane-credited providers of highly trained animals. Salmoni focused on large cat training and has been training large cats as well as other predators since then.Salmoni was offered a life-changing opportunity to be the first to travel with two captive-bred Bengal tigers to Africa and train them how to hunt and survive in the wild. Salmoni combined his trainer and zoology techniques to achieve this conservation goal, which was documented in Discovery Channel's Living with Tigers. Following this experience, Salmoni lived among African lions for three months in an attempt to show that lions and humans can co exsist in the same area; this journey was captured in the documentary Into the Lion's Den.
David salmoni says:
He’d give the edge to a lion in a fight with a tiger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A64glNYb-NM
http://animal.discovery.com/tv/after-the-attack/dave-salmoni/dave-salmoni.html
-
---{2008}---

Animal planet
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/animal_planet_logo.gif
Team of zoologist enthusiast and scientist, concluded the lion would win in a fight with a tiger…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PHs-kbypo
-
---{2006}---
[Isabell Thomas
http://bks2.books.google.com/books?id=o43DZP4ZrrQC&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&edge=curl&imgtk=AFLRE70PaMJ0SmEqPOLR8qSJJOjN8Xk7l4e6VvXGj-kpmyFu1QrtoTv0tXJDCLTnwE07TbosXQZw9n84iQjEnWmGM_lAKmxSJPJ0dTf-8fYpdc7L01MFQxKZ-8svXXhBHsuZCXb0****
Each book in this high-interest series compares two exciting animals and looks at how thwy are equipped to survive and defend themselves against preadtors in the wild. Each spread focuses on one particular aspect of the animals, such as teeth, claws, speed, endurance, camouflage, habitat, predator/prey relationships, or hunting techniques.
Heinemann-Raintree Library,
Isabell gives the fight slightly to the lion due to his protective mane….
http://books.google.com/books?id=o43DZP4ZrrQC&dq=lion+vs+tiger&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html&source=gbs_navlinks_s

-
---{2001}---

Elizabeth marshall thomas

One of the most widely read American anthropologists, Elizabeth Marshall Thomas has observed dogs, cats, and elephants during her half-century-long career. In the 1980s Thomas studied elephants alongside Katy Payne—the scientist who discovered elephants' communication via infrasound. In 1993 Thomas wrote The Hidden Life of Dogs, a groundbreaking work of animal psychology that spent nearly a year on the New York Times bestseller list. Her book on cats, Tribe of Tiger, was also an international bestseller. She lives in Peterborough, New Hampshire, on her family's former farm, where she observes deer, bobcats, bear, and many other species of wildlife.
~Even the biggest of tigers feared male lions
The Tribe of Tiger
http://books.google.com/books?id=3eYUt7Y-PS4C&pg=PA217&dq=lion+dominated+tiger&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zaKJUIfCAcWdiALksoGgDg&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBA
-
---{2001}---

Tiger territory

As a consequence, I have spent a great deal of time researching this and talking with people whose careers studying Carnivora extend back some 25 years. Together we have searched for historically documented evidence from which this article has been drawn.
It should be understood that the question is exceedingly difficult to answer as historic records on this type of event are few and far between.
The film showed that the tiger was at an immediate disadvantage. Tigers use a throat grip as their primary means of killing and*the lion's thick protective mane prevented the tiger gaining a hold on the throat joint. On the other hand, the tiger*had no special protection, so was vulnerable to attack.
In this fight, the tiger was killed.
These films back up current*expert opinion, including some from Leeds University, regarding the potential result of conflict between these two animals. It is considered that exactly the same outcome would occur given a modern battle between the lion and the tiger.

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict7.html
http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/
-
---{2000}---
Siegfried and Roy

Siegfried Fischbacher born June 13, 1939, Rosenheim, Bavaria and Roy Horn born October 3, 1944, Nordenham were born and raised in Germany. They immigrated to the United States and became naturalized citizens.
Siegfried is a traditional magician, or illusionist, while Roy grew up among exotic animals.
They met in 1959 when they both found work on a German ocean liner. Siegfried was a cabin steward and Roy a waiter. Siegfried began performing magic for some of the passengers, eventually being allowed to have his own show, with Roy as his assistant. Unknown to the crew, Roy had smuggled a cheetah named Chico aboard the vessel (Penn Jillette suggested on his radio show that it was an ocelot). Roy had come to know Chico from his frequent visits to the Bremer Zoo in Germany. After developing their show they were given an engagement in Las Vegas. In 1972 they received an award for the best show of the year. In 1990 they were hired by Steve Wynn, the manager of The Mirage, for an annual guarantee of $57.5 million. In 2001, they signed a lifetime contract with the hotel. The duo has appeared in around 5,750 shows together, mostly at The Mirage. Their long-running illusion and magic act closed October 3, 2003 (Roy's birthday) after Roy was severely injured by Montecore, one of the act's tigers, during a performance.
On:"The personality traits of lions and tigers are
very different."

Roy said:
" A lion is tough," Roy explained. " A tiger is very
versatile, very flexible, also forgiving. When you have a
confrontation wit him, he is a lot quicker to forgive whatever
the situation is than the lion. The lion forgets nothing. And he
will make sure you understand that."

http://www.amazon.com/Siegfried-Roys.../dp/0964909650
http://www.amazon.com/Siegfried-Roys...t/dp/096490965
-
---{1991}---

Marco peters

One on one a lion usually whips a tiger, twice he seen tigers win, it was the biggest tiger against the smallest lion...the tiger is a coward said peters, he wont take on the strongest lion, you know who he attacks? The little female.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab95/boldchamp1/boldchamp/Lionusuallywhipsatiger.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rqWkKqVKByU/T5vJGEqtkiI/AAAAAAAAxjo/aGckwhSTEhY/s1600/April+10,+1988.+Marco+Peters+&+Tiger+Perform+Ringling+Bros+Barnum+Bailey+Circus..jpg
-
---{1985}---

Tippi hedren

http://www.rexano.org/TIPPI/kitchen-tiger.jpg
THE CATS OF SHAMBALA 1985 By Tippi Hedren and Theodore Taylor Page 176, tigers are the original scaredy-cat. Although most ferocious under certain conditions, adults are scared silly over numerous odd things. Thunder and Lightning which a lion takes in stride, panics a tiger. Silver reflectors scare tigers, if you want to take over a room full of tigers walk in wearing a silver suit. In the movie ROAR a big siberian tiger name ivan backs down from a tiny lion cub. Tippi Hedren is a former actress that has lions and tigers and other animals on her compound in Acton, Ca.
~ The movie named Roar" had affiliated tigers an lions in an abundentcy, having most of the lions harass an dominate tigers...144 big cats are owned by Tippi an her family.
-
---{1978}---

Kailash sankhala

Kailash Sankhala (1925–1994) was a renowned naturalist and conservationist of India. He was the director of Delhi Zoological Park and Chief Wildlife Warden of Rajasthan. Born on 30 January 1925 he is best known for his work in preserving tigers. He was well known around the globe as the Tiger Man, and was involved in the formation of Project Tiger, the world's largest wildlife conservation programme set up in India in 1972.
Kailash Shankhala was first conservationist who raised voice in favour of protecting the tiger as early as 1956. He spearheaded the crusade and succeeded in helping rescue the species from the brink of extinction when hunting tiger was in practice. He carried through this challenging mission with untiring energy and dedication even at the risk of his career and death threats. He conducted an extensive study under the Jawahar Lal Nehru felloship during a time when tiger population was dwindling at an alarming rate due to poaching and hunting. His research later lead him to launch the Project Tiger in 1973. He was founding director of the Project Tiger in 1973.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/JinenFordragon/boldchamppics057-1.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/JinenFordragon/boldchamppics030-1.jpg
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/JinenFordragon/boldchamppics031-2.jpg
-
---{1976}---

Roger brown

~Essays in Memory of Imre Lakatos
By R. Robert Sonné Cohen
In a circus act merdous fights are possible the tigers are likely to lose these battles.
http://books.google.com/books?id=j_WRwLmFkLkC&pg=PA707&lpg=PA707&dq=Lions+usually+finished+off+tigers.+killed+fight&source=bl&ots=GVYO7lXnop&sig=CUrHsZwnBLVxFyNY71E2Uj-7oXI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3B2HUKbEAof0iQLyjIHADA&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA
-
---{1976}---

Trainer from Beatty cole
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHNDZfxYOW8JqILFiOptHmHqNMws4mmSqPc4y3LemmA2qkfNupu2KXSWHF
St petersburg times nov 29 1976
Lions are more agressive than tigers contrary to what people think...Sometimes you’ll have a lion eating a tiger.
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab95/boldchamp1/boldchamp/tamerdaveHoover.jpg
-
Marlin perkins
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFpkb28omu2zLQPLKeccBGLU2lhcjgGdc1m0HG_8OTmde-9rFT_YS3p20

Initially, a tiger would win for its greater burst of speed and strength. However, tigers have no stamina. If the lion could hold out for ~1 minute, it would defeat the exhausted tiger.
As Mr. Marlin Perkins tells it, however, "a real tiger won't attack a rhinoceros just for the hell of it, any more than he will sleep on his back in lion country."
~
Naval Safety Center, 1972
http://books.google.com/books?id=O3le2AEPRo0C&q=Marlin+perkins+lion+tiger+fight&dq=Marlin+perkins+lion+tiger+fight&hl=en&sa=X&ei=umXuUJHRJ47yigLUjIHICg&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg
http://www.google.com/search?q=Marlin+perkins+lion+tiger+fight+&tbm=bks&tbo=1
-
---{1966}---

Dave hoover

As a boy, Dave Hoover always wanted to be a vet. After training with a vet at the Cincinnati Zoo, however, he decided he was "too squeamish" for the job. "I couldn’t stand the sight of blood-the animals or my own," he recalled. His stint at the Zoo turned him away from veterinary medicine, but it turned his love of animals in a different direction-a fascination with the "big cats," the lions & tigers who instill terror in the hearts of man & beast alike.

With whip, chair & blank pistol, he puts the cats thru the paces in a "fighting style" performance that has all but disappeared from the modern circus scene. The amiable, outgoing Hoover was a protege of the late Clyde Beatty, considered by some to be the greatest wild animal trainer who ever lived.

Dave said: lions are the better fighter’s.
http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/2c726fd5c00746832d1bff2d2a483ae1a1c6b6b8_r.jpg
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab95/boldchamp1/boldchamp/Hooverlionsvstigers.jpg
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTh4wLX7SWUEFuvwpumxy-EXTg5B3UeeYRA8x5l27eRZjR3Y7FVus7Mtlzl

-
---{1959}---

Caroll soo-hoo Sanfrisco zoo
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPbz-maegW77A2T3uKJp4LQvJPMVuPYqJk6zEW-mxs1YRx3QlAH5FLVNTI

The Zoo was originally called The Herbert Fleishhacker Zoo, after its founder. The official name of the Zoo – The San Francisco Zoological Gardens – was adopted February 27, 1941, following the suggestion of Herbert Fleishhacker.

Apperntly know’s lion’s are capable of killing male siberian tiger’s even if the lion is old an the tiger is in his prime…
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab95/boldchamp1/boldchamp/Atigerissupposedtowinafightwithalion.jpg
http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/45/44721/ca8-5547.jpg
-
---{1956}---
Roman Proske
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6Nh77hDzcJELi-949Un3FG0O7PBixhcr12rpPvQKBHAL00MxZ7A

Born in Vienna 1898 Herman Roman Gustav Proske von walch ran away from home at age 13 to join the circus. He toured Europe and asia, and journyed to africa where he tamed his first lion to perform death-defying feats. Proske dident like whips chairs or other props in his act. He preffered a more humane approach sitting for hours with his big cats until they got used to his presence. Ring master Fred bradna hailed Proske as the greatest wild animal trainer in the world.

Roman Proske states:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/brentlion_2008/brentonlion/CIMG1330.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/brentlion_2008/brentonlion/CIMG1332.jpg
http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/history/crowds-go-wild-for-jungle-gardens-at-summit-beach-park-in-1941-1.82412
-
---{1941}---

Louis roth
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSdEabdvnSkn2mPxFjCLxXXSoEkFcY78B8wBdWmLT5jYMyN2g8Xs5Ll9M
Animal Trainer of over 40 year’s in the bisness and Expert Louis Roth, favors the lion the superior over the tiger in a fight. In his book
http://www.worthpoint.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Louis-Roth.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SpL5bJ1OSCg/TeTSMBv63CI/AAAAAAAAj9c/ylGuGL8eW44/s1600/F5859%2Blouis%2BRoth%2B1920.jpg
-
---{1940}---

Melvin B tolson

Caviar and Cabbage [Book] Melvin B. Tolson
Tolson was the professor, poet and writer portrayed by Denzel Washington in The Great Debaters , which is based on a true story from 1935 America. Saying the title King doesent belong to the tiger, it belong’s to the lion for unity.
http://www.marcnorton.us/93588/102643.html
-
---{1937}---

Burt nelson

Bert nelson said: A lion would jump a strange tiger without cerimony "nelson explianed" And that might prove fatal to the tiger. For lions you see, with great power and fearless attack easly whips tigers.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/JinenFordragon/books-84.jpg
-
---{1931}---
Edward Jewitt Wheeler

All these experts Isaac Kaufman Funk, William Seaver Woods, Arthur Stimson Draper, Wilfred John Funkagreed and stated:
Between natural enemies of the cat family proved
conclusively that the fighting prowess of the lion is superior to that of the tiger
~Funk and Wagnalls, 1933
The Literary digest:2nd colome down.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Isac+kaufman+funk+tiger+the+lion+is+superior+&tbm=bks&tbo=1

-
---{1931}---

Clyde beatty

Animal Tamer an trainer of 40 year’s training Hyena’s, Leopard’s, Jaguar’s, Wolve’s, Tiger’s, Cheetah’s, Bear’s, Puma’s, Lion’s, an more the God father animal expert Clyde*carved out a stellar reputation in circus annals as the undisputed wild animal master.
He became an astute showman and businessman with his*services as both a top performer and circus co-owner*in high demand.*Innumerable circuses featured Beatty, with appropriate star billing, as the*unrivaled crowd pleaser*of their shows. Over the years he was sole proprietor of several touring circuses, all of which were greeted with*popular acclaim and much success.
In 1944*he formed his own Clyde Beatty Circus, a huge endeavor which traveled by rails, and featured the finest performers*from the world of the circus.*His self-titled circus*continued as a major tented show. Through the years that*followed and even after his death, the Clyde Beatty title has always been*associated with top flight entertainment, a tradition carried on today with the current incarnation of the much acclaimed CLYDE BEATTY CIRCUS.
Mr. Clyde Beatty said: I think lions will win 9/10 against tigers in a fight.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk45/brentlion_2008/brentonlion/books-83.jpg
http://wildanimalelite.yuku.com/topic/560/The-God-Father-Animal-Trainer-Clyde-Beatty
http://www.beattycircus.com/clyde_beatty.html
-
---{1929}---

William H. Blackburne

“The lion is the king of among beasts in other ways than in looks. I once put a big tiger in a cage with a lion, chaining the lion but giving him slack enough to stand up and turn around. It was a night parade and the red fire was burned on the top of my wagon and the animals became greatly excited. The tiger pounced on the lion but I stopped the battle with the stool upon which I had been setting. Later the fight was renewed, the lion knocking the tiger down five times.”
Source: William H. Blackburne, head keeper of the National Zoological Park, 1929
-
---{1924}---

Courtney cooper

Animal Expert an Tamer Courtney cooper,
[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT83lz9a6AH6YX0r0z1xTPVJ24mon_S66QpiXx98aghE6RK3GpIXilXdg[IMG]
Courtney ryley cooper born in Kansas city missori on october 31 1886 at the age of 16 he left home to join the circus. Who worked multiple jobs form animal trainer, all the way up to circus manager.
In his book he state’s
LIONS"N"TIGERS"N"EVERYTHING 1924 By Courtney Riley Cooper.
Page 32, I like the tiger cat more than I like the lion cat.
Page 68, lions are "King Of Beasts"
Page 70, lion kills a tiger in a very brutal fight.
Page 78, Cooper says lion is "King Of Beasts" and a good father.
Pages 84-85, FEMALE tiger kills heavier MALE tiger defending her cubs.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-867ud6Wa9NQ/TpV7MZsSYLI/AAAAAAAAnHY/NHhpK6OBdVw/s1600/The%2Bbook%2Bdetails%2Bthe%2Blife%2Bof%2Ba%2Btypical%2Bzookeeper%2Band%2Bhis%2Banimals.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0177960/

-
---{1923}---

Jam Sahib
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQY2144GNpjZ5ZVmXAl3yE_avkTPo7JvQMkyAkDL7oOSOX2PF_AtVuUNidw
Jam sahib exploit’s bias cat enthusiasist “Karish singe” an witnesses 4 ocasian’s lion’s beat tiger’s an give’s his opinon on lion’s.
http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/JinenFordragon/pagetwoju9.jpg
-
---{1921}---

George conklin

Circus performer an big cat owner Geroge conklin say’s in his book the male lion has the advantages over other cat’s: The lion also is protected around the neck by the heavy which is an advantage.
http://books.google.com/books/about/The_ways_of_the_circus.html?id=sbzZMD7BRNEC
-
---{1903}---

The mengerine…Lions will not stay in the same cage with tigers. We tried this once, putting a lioness in with a Bengal tiger. There was a fierce fight and the lioness nearly killed the Bengal."Chapter V11
http://www.circushistory.org/History/OnRoad2.htm
-
---{1896}---

The quiver

Tigers avoids lions
http://books.google.com/books?id=w-9MAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA253&lpg=PA253&dq=lion+tiger+avoided+combat&source=bl&ots=F-gBFHhbez&sig=sjpgzXZ35URQFAgkUHLvT4_TNo0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LoAfUJmvJuLJiwKh0oHoCw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA

-
---{1892}---

Sir Samuel w. baker
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRS-anZnzwhD8bPjmVZ4w1Qhw8yltYCGCywIbt2fCv2D4w4J9OdZA8dcQ
BAKER, Sir SAMUEL WHITE (1821-1893), traveller and sportsman, born in London on 8 June 1821, was the second son of Samuel Baker of Lypiatt Park, Gloucestershire, by Mary, daughter of Thomas Dobson of Enfield. His father was a West India merchant, possessing considerable property in Jamaica and Mauritius,
Cin Egypt, and between 1879 and 1892 visited India seven times, and almost to the end of life bis vigorous health enabled him to maintain his reputation as the greatest living hunter of big game. In whatever quarter of the globe he chanced to be, whether in pursuit of elephants in Africa and Ceylon, tiger-hunting in the central provinces in India, deer-stalking in Japan, bear-shooting in the Eocky Mountains, this iron-nerved sportsman ever proved his ability to excel all others. He himself regarded the pursuit of dangerous game as the best training for either an explorer or a soldier {True Tales for my Grandsons, p. 176), and to his own experiences in the jungle and on the plain the development of his remarkable tenacity and resource as an explorer was doubtless in great part due.

:Has carefully compared the strength and other qualitie’s of the lion an tiger an he decide’s in favor of the lion.
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles35/animals-2.shtml
http://books.google.com/books?id=5XFRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA762&lpg=PA762&dq=sir+samuel+baker+lions+and+tigers+book&source=bl&ots=vytNsXChw7&sig=pbFGbyGmNsYlG4GzpAyy_us2C6o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5JHBT_XeN4aUiQLH4oHjBw&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAw
http://www.hotfreebooks.com/book/Wild-Beasts-and-their-Ways-Sir-Samuel-W-Baker--6.html
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Baker,_Samuel_White_(DNB01)
-
---{1872}---

The childrens hour

Edited by T. S. Arthur
2 lions on one tiger is too much
http://books.google.com/books?id=9-kaAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA166&lpg=RA1-PA166&dq=lions+better+fighters++tigers&source=bl&ots=L2zJSGeZ1K&sig=BQZW9HO646T41rqopL0XjuYtleE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JJAxUK-LL8rTigLS-YGYBg&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAw
http://books.google.com/books?id=9-kaAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA167&lpg=RA1-PA166&ots=L2zJSGeZ1K&dq=lions+better+fighters++tigers&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=html
-
---{1855}---

Lion defeats tiger to rescue man

"The ferocity of the tiger's disposition has been exaggerated; but although capable of being made quite gentle, they are unreliable in their habits, and apt at any instant to attempt the gratification of a blood-thirsty disposition. Keepers of menageries, however much confidence they may feel in the friendship of the "king of beasts," are always nervous about the tiger, and cautious in their movements. We think it was Van Amberg who was unexpectedly set upon by a tiger, when the lion came to his rescue, and actually threw the tiger down, and held him fast until the man escaped."

Source: http://www.harpers.org/archive/1855/05/0037640
-

---{1842}---

Animal new’s article having a trainer of all animal’s…saying lion’s were the most dominate animal and feared more above tiger’s.
http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=12636137

-
---{1838}---

Tiger’s avoid lion’s in combat
Army and Navy chronicle, Volume 6
http://books.google.com/books?id=Q_kRAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA411&lpg=RA1-PA411&dq=ancient+lion+battle+tiger+fight&source=bl&ots=6SgbuGhV-3&sig=NVNf1GQYYoCLvPysS7qQmB2U3Qc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tXkfUN3QM4vnigLR9oGQDQ&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBjhG
-
---{1830}---

W. Blackwood & Sons

lion dominate’s an chases tiger around the arena in Rome
Blackwood's Edinburgh magazine, Volume 27
http://books.google.com/books?id=Bx1lkqo4q8YC&pg=PA162&lpg=PA162&dq=ancient+lion+battle+tiger+fight&source=bl&ots=oQP1EtnaeB&sig=OJogE0OvxMuNQxhCBmuOCJBVYmM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VXIfUKbHKOzqiQKPwYHICg&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAA
-
---{1825}---

A natural history of the most remarkable quadrupeds.

The lion not the tiger is the unbdisputed King of the forest
http://books.google.com/books?id=8icYAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=lions+undisputed+fighter+tiger&source=bl&ots=Ay1UmC74cw&sig=TrqQL7rHRl7AXgskSoPbAmW9lHA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_5QxUOrNK8r2iwK2-ICwBQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA
Printed by C. and C. Whittingham, 1825
-
---{1823}---

The Asiatic journal and monthly miscellany

The lion is so powerful an animal as the tiger, but he fights much better. A tiger will make his attack, and then retire; but a lion never retreats ; he fights until he is killed.
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZWN3-payo_8C&pg=PA331&lpg=PA331&dq=lions+slayed+fight+tiger&source=bl&ots=Q9RLRCwtLl&sig=T9BeweLp0Y8d147ni5sjyu3SXlU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yYQIUOGCCKuI2gX0mpjSBw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwBA
http://books.google.com/books?id=xXEAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA254&lpg=PA254&dq=poetry+lion+fight+tiger+kill+won&source=bl&ots=5WQPUb0gQ7&sig=gWEX_w7GoC6SY7Qs0jKBebxgMqs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qQNgULTJOaP1igLuwIHQBA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg
-
---{1821}----

Edward Griffith

The tiger is inferior an fears the lion
http://books.google.com/books?id=XMAyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA31&dq=lion+tiger+arranged+combat&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wJSPULe6O-GgigKMq4CABA&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBg

---{1806}---

Oliver Goldsmith

Ranked the lion over the tiger.
http://www.scharlau.co.uk/scharlau.co.uk/prints/images/lions4701.jpg
http://books.google.com/books?id=0axEAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA395&lpg=PA395&dq=oliver+goldsmith+lions'&source=bl&ots=g1TAll-5xC&sig=DGi-ZspT444D1ZdbX5jYWUItBO4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oEu7T_L7OaiviALuyoXVDQ&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA
-
---{1758}---

Dr.Sc Giuliano Russini

~view on Lions and Tigers.

...African lion presents phenomena of aggressiveness which, contrary to what is thought render it more dangerous in the wild than the tiger and more difficult to manage in captivity, as observed by the zoological biologists.... This caused by overheating corporeal overheating phenomena, is in fact a handicap in case of prolonged fights, drawback not found in the lion who, as they say, “will struggle up to the death”.Same can be said for the fighting techniques, which all stand in favour of the Panthera leo ,accustomed, as it is, to face in the savannah a great variety of preys and competitors, in comparison with the solitary tiger....
http://www.photomazza.com/?Panthera-tigris
Be honset to thy self!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 28>