Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neo-Ottomanism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neo-Ottomanism
    Posted: 23-Feb-2007 at 11:34
Originally posted by malizai_

Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by malizai_

Dubai for example would be modernization and not westernization. + cultures can not be imported or imposed.

Bad example. I have spend some time in Dubai and it looks like they have copied everything (apart for religion, nominally) from the west.

They have clubs, prostitutes, alcohol, theme parks etc, everything copied from the West.

Managers are all Europeans or Americans (a few Iranians and Arabs) and the workforce is either from Pakistan or from India, usually Pakistani workers and Indian clerical staff.

One cannot find an Arab in the workforce!

Alcohol and prostitution is hardly a cultural barometer, its existence is pre-islamic andcross-cultural. Alcohol has never been denied to non-moslem people anyway(AFAIK). A lot of muslims consume it privately and some publically when abroad. None will declare it permissable for muslims to drink, neither is prostitution legalised.It has yet to become a career choice.

I agree Disney Land is not representative of American culture, but just becasuse you have returned from it does not mean the American culture and sub-cultures don't exist. Using latest building techniques is modernization, and a lot ofthe constructionsreflect architectural glimpses of eastern traditions as well as practcial building practices.

Thegreat influx of foreign workers is not the population sample that shouldbe under observation, but the host population.

I was watching Dubai on the travel channel. The archtects used some Arab designs, but for other buildings they looked to Australia and Germany because those buildings look gorgeous.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Haha, wow. I look like an ass. Better take a look at some modern geography books...

Originally posted by Brian J Checco

I've never met Bhutan, but I heartily concur. Capitalism is a double-edged sword. Yes, you get riches, but it's only for the few, and inherent in capitalism is exploitation. 

Embarrassed
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 01:21
Haha, wow. I look like an ass. Better take a look at some modern geography books...

, don't worry, all the maps I have in my house still have east germany marked.
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 02:04
True, but to date you've never referred to East Germany as a human being... LOL
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 19:14
Some Orientalists have said that the Orient begins East of Sarajevo.

I'd say those orientalists will make a lot of people angry at such a comment. It seems to me like this is more of an "oriental empirializing" then anything else. Especially considering the vast majority of those east of Sarajevo, before entering Turkey, wish to be associated with Europe.

This is certainly true with the place I am from.

Then again, I also do not like this cultural border-making. There are such things as cultural borrowings and infusions; the Balkans has always been a land between cultures, but in the end it was always defined with the west.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 11-Mar-2007 at 19:24
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 23:15
Maybe it's a case of what Dr. Edward Said deemed 'Orientalization?' That is, tagging other cultures with 'alien' or 'foreign' stigma in order to detract from their political rights on the home front. I can see why Europe would do this, as it would repress the idea of Muslim immigrants as being 'European,' thus making it more difficult for those immigrants to assimilate into the culture-at-large, and thereby stifling their political voice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234