Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Russia, the forgotten power.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Should Russia still be considered as superpower, in terms of military?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [22.58%]
16 [51.61%]
4 [12.90%]
4 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Russia, the forgotten power.
    Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:17
Should Russia still be considered as superpower, in terms of military? And yes, you may not stone me for poll choice 4. Not everyone's completely sane, you know...

Edited by pekau - 09-Jan-2007 at 23:03

Join us.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:21
Of course they should - not just if they have nuclear weapons. Manpower and resources/weaponary/munitions are available and therefore Russia could be a powerful force to be reckoned with. Althuogh their glory days have passed - military wise - Russia, by sheer people power and size could play a major role in a conflict.
And don't worry Pekau...I won't stone you...Tongue

Edited by Knights - 09-Jan-2007 at 22:21
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote bg_turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:23
Russia is unfortunately growing in power because of its oil. 
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:28
Originally posted by bg_turk

Russia is unfortunately growing in power because of its oil.

Unfortunately? How so? You hate Russians or something?

Join us.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:29
Actually, Russian manpower is declining. Their birthrates are terribly low! Way below replacement levels, if I recall correctly. As to their weapons: again, if I remember correctly, most are old and in poor condition. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 22:32
Really? Could you show me any evidence? I thought Russia and US are still waging technology race... in terms of military.

Join us.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:15
Who needs new, technologically advanced weapons...Russia would nuke anyone that attacks it.

Edited by mamikon - 09-Jan-2007 at 23:16
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:16
Originally posted by mamikon

Who needs new, technologically advanced weapons...Russia would nuke anyone that attacks it.

Yes, but nuclear war would bring unnecessary danger to Russians as well. Remember Cuban Missile Crisis?

Join us.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:24
Well, countries with nuclear weapons arent crazy enough to attack Russia...this might as well be true for countries without nuclear weapons.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:33
Um... I think it is the other way around... though no country would be crazy enough to attack Russia. Despite the downfall of USSR, it's still a formiddable nation.

Join us.
padem View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote padem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 01:56
Well, if you define a "superpower" as a country with the ability to project it's military might in any point of the world, I don't think Russia qualifies as such.Sure it's a huge country with a large population but so what?

Does she have the potential to do what the USA did for example, invade and conquer two countries with an ocean between them?
And even if she did, would her economy handle the war for the time needed?

Could she bomb a target in Somalia at a moment's notice?

I think the answers are no,no and no.

Not to mention the fact Russia can barely maintain her navy (eg. Kursk submarine) and only has one aircraft carrier....

So,no... she's not a superpower anymore..
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 02:53
Russia has new  technologically advanced weapons:Kornet,Su-3O,Iskander and others.It  has advanced technology,but not in the same level as the US.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 09:07
maybe not a super power, but its growing thank god. Bring back the balance
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 15:12
Iskander?

isnt that a Turkish name
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 22:37
Russia also isn't stupid enough to try to occupy Afghanistan again. It learnt the lesson, it seems America didn't. I also believe it COULD wage war against two countries the size of Iraq and Afghanistan if it chose too, but instead seems to be taking a more introspective approach. There are divides amongst the leadership which need to be taken care of first. Remember, the Russians have more tanks than god LOL
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 23:36
I certainly think that Peter The Great is one of the greatest conquerors and empire builders in history. But i find that he is not discussed as often as he should.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 14:48
well they have vowed to nuke anyone that dares invade them...something you can't ignore.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 02:53
Originally posted by babyblue

well they have vowed to nuke anyone that dares invade them...something you can't ignore.

Chinas on their doorstep, that certainly isnt something to ignore either LOL
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 07:27
Russia is dead it struggles to survive. and the dropping birthrate isn't helping either.

If it wasn't for siberia what would happened or what will happen with russia what do they have.

How long can they hang on on Siberia?

Edited by xi_tujue - 14-Jan-2007 at 07:29
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 07:37
Actually I think you'll find Russia is once more gaining in economic might.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>