Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Battles! -> Post Your Favourite
    Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:20
Then we have a tie:

Kulikovo - 3
Agincourt - 0
Sekigahara - 3
Vaslui - 1

Do you understand all, that with a tie, you get two articles? But I suspect knights wants Kulikovo as the single winner...

Edited by rider - 08-Feb-2007 at 14:21
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2007 at 14:26
But does Knights harness the power to do so?? Big%20smile Two battles are always better than one Wink
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 03:20
Originally posted by rider

Nor should you copy these directly from Wikipedia. I am sure that that wasn't the point of this. Therefore, your post has been hidden from the view of all others, except you and all the moderators.

My bad. I thought referencing it might justify... oh what matter. Sorry~

Join us.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 10:16
Originally posted by Knights

But does Knights harness the power to do so?? Big%20smile Two battles are always better than one Wink

But what if I find one to post more for Sekigahara? Then you have failed once more...LOLLOL
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 15:29
Sekigahara tied? o_0

Well, this is unexpected. I suppose I'll write up a summary sometime later. Right now I'm afraid it will be difficult. For the last few days, I've been home with a high fever and some other ailments. Dead

If I don't get to it immediately and Kulikovo gets finished, I wouldn't mind if you kept voting for stuff while I was getting better. Sorry for the trouble. :(

Edited by Slick - 09-Feb-2007 at 15:32
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2007 at 17:53
I have written it quite some time ago... but the tie isn't certain. Let's call it a day at Saturday (tomorrow, or actually today), 20.00 PM GMT...
Richard View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 01:19
the Battle of Thermopylae
Simply because it is the best example of how well a small force of well
trained,equiped troops can use  the terrain to maximise an army's potential.
And also, because of the courage it takes to stand your ground against such odds.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 01:46
Well I'd vote Kulikovo, if you're still accepting votes.

Edited by Zaitsev - 11-Feb-2007 at 01:46
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 01:56
This is absolute action! Kulikovo gets another vote taking it one vote ahead of Sekigahara! That means it's 4 for Kulikovo and 3 for Sekigahara...will there be another vote...who knows! What do you say Mr.Rider, do we wait for another day, or is Kulikovo the winner?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 08:47
Let's wait for another day.

I know that you had Zaitsev vote for it...

Edited by rider - 11-Feb-2007 at 09:00
alexandruu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by rider

Let's wait for another day.

I know that you had Zaitsev vote for it...

I want a clear winner. I vote for Kulikovo.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 16:09
Sekigahara
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 16:33
Sekigahara
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 18:05
So much for the clear winner...

Alright, I'll change my vote from Vaslui to Kulikovo. Hopefully that will boost it to the lead for a bit...
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 19:12
Kulikovo - 6
Sekigahara - 5
Is that enough of a lead for you Slick? What do you think Rider, when do we cut off?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:44
HOWWWW!!!!!! Impossible... Good work Morty and Hugoestr and Majkes....

I'll submit (but I will have my revenge).
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:45

Background

During the 14th century, the power of Muscowy grew, while the Golden Horde became weaker and weaker. On the second half of the 14th century, there were around 25 different khans, of whom a large number was killed by his competitors. During these troubled times, the Horde was united by commander Mamai. By these times, Muscowy rarely listened to the orders of the khan and the khan saw it fit to punish the Rus for it. On 1378, the Mongol armies assaulted Muscowy and the whole of Russia with it.

He was confronted by a Muscowian army, led by Dmitri Ivanovich, grandson of Ivan Kalita. The armies met on the lands of Rjazan, besides River Vozh. This Mongol army was defeated by the Russian forces and it retreated. The Khan, however escpaed and gathered a new army. He also ordered a treaty with the Lithuanians, for their assistance. Khan Mamai also counted on the Kniaz of Rjazan, Oleg, who had sided with the Mongols. Oleg wanted the lands of Muscowy for himself and Lithuania, and that was the reason for his servitude of the Horde.

In the august of 1380, the Khan made way to Russia, but the Russian dukes had unexpectedly united against the growing threat.

The Battle of Kulikovo

Again it was Dmitri Ivanovich, who stood in the lead of the armies of Russia (or more correctly, Muscowy and allied princedoms). The army was made up of the forces and levy of Suzdal, Brjansk, Rostov, Jaroslavl, Kostroma and Beloozero. Smaller detachments came even from Ukraine and Belorussia. The peasants, although barely armed, were numerous. The force that assembled alltogether, is assumed to around 150 000 men, but it might have been quite a bit smaller. Yet it was for that time, the single largest army Russia had ever gathered.

The plan of Dmitri was to hold the battle outside Muscowian territories. He quickly had his army move towards the River Don. They built bridges to cross the river and after crossing, Dmitri supposedly ordered the destruction of the bridges to show that there was no way for retreat.

The armies lined up in the fog. The Russian forces were placed so, that, the contignents flanks were protected by Smolka River, deep slopes and forests. A part of the army was left into the woods as for ambushing purposes. The fog quickly vanished and the larger army of the enemy was sighted. The Russian first lines assaulted the enemy daringly, and they were led to combat by Dmitri. Within short time, the whole of Russian vanguard was destroyed, although some of the greatest warriors (along with kniaz Dmitri) returned to the main army.

Now the forces of Mamai assaulted forward as a thick mass. Spears broke as straws, arrows came down as rain, dust shadowed sunlight, swords flashed as lightning, men fell as crop before the scythes. is a description by a Russian chronicler of this battle.

The Russians decided to break through the enemy center, although a Mongol force had crossed River Smolka and was attacking the Russian left flank with fury. The Mongols were gaining the upper hand. The left flank started retreating and the Mongols, seeing the opportunity, quickly began to surround the center. The ambushers wanted to help the others, but their commander, voievode Bobrok held them back saying: It is not yet the time! Mamai thought that victory was close.

Yet now was the time, and the ambushing squad assaulted the Mongols and crushed them. The remnant of Russian forces regrouped and assaulted once more. Khan thought it better to run, and the Russians gave him a decent chase. For the victory at the Fields of Kulikovo, Dmitri Ivanovich gained the nickname of Donskoi.

Aftermath

Although the battle didnt overthrow the Mongol rule, it certainly helped in doing so. Two years later, after Kulikovo, a new Khan striekd and burnt down Muscowy. Despite the fact that the city was almost completely destroyed, the Russian peoples had understood their power in unity. Soon, the Mongol powers were completely destroyed and they left the whole of Europe alone.

Edited by rider - 12-Feb-2007 at 12:46
alexandruu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote alexandruu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 14:15
Cool battle !

Rider, what can you tell us about the casualties ? Were they realy as high as wikipedia states (tens of thousands of dead on each side)
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:00
i don't think they were counted.. but i would suspect it be true. Russian casualties higher...
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 19:30
Yeah, nice summary. I've never heard of Kulikovo, though I'm reading about the Mongols and stuff recently. Impressive how Dmitri turned a near defeat into a victory...

Hey, third times the charm anyways. When I'm feeling better I'll re-submit Sekigahara for consideration again Rider. ;)

Edited by Slick - 12-Feb-2007 at 19:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>