Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kingdom of Heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingdom of Heaven
    Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 14:02
A pretty good movie by screenplay and effects I think it was, but I would rather like to hear what do you think of the historical side?

I totally disliked the use of Templars as some idiotic all-for-war soldiers that can only say: "God wills it!"... it was terrible, plus making Guy de Lusignan and Reynald de Chatillion Templars... aaarghhh.

I very much however liked the figure of Tiberias although history knows no such person (with that name) although there was a certain Lord of Tiberias, Raymond III...

The battles were good, only again I wonder why they had the Hospitaller wonder around in every possible place. I am pretty sure that he wasn't of high status so he should have orders... and was he a Hospitaller knight (which would give more freedom) or becoming a knight soon... wierd indeed. And as there were always only a few knights, why would they have one roam around Europe?

Edited by rider - 14-Jan-2007 at 10:15
Hyarmendacil View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hyarmendacil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 09:27
Well, the thing I mind the most is the twisting of the Balian of Ibelin personage itself--by the time of the movie he was already a powerful mature knight, not a lowly blacksmith's son.

But of course, in modern cinema everything can be forgiven as long as the actor is Orlando Bloom. I can't help pitying him for the ugly effects that this typecasting might have on his future career.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 12:03
Well, Balian was never the son of a blacksmith (as far as I know)...
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:02
It sucked. The story sucked, the history sucked and Orlando sucked.

So, I said it...Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:15
It sucked. The story sucked, the history sucked and Orlando sucked.

So, I said it...Wink

And I was going to say it too...

The seige of Jerusalaam was pathetic.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:19
But please, give us some reasons. Both of you.
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 20:31
The glorious "in our hearts, we all are knights"-scene during the siege of Jerusalem, in the good ol' Hollywood way, was a bit over the top.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 21:39
If you want to learn history, don't go to Hollywood. More often you'll get misinformation or outright lies.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 22:04
The movie could have been really crazy if they incorporated more battle gory battle scenes..

Thats the problem with these war movies. MOST people arent going to see the movie expecting something historically correct, more they are going to see the knights an Muslims duke it out. With a good story line of course.

It was a good movie, but it needed some fine tuning. Same with Troy an definately with Alexander !!!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 22:59
I have to disagree about most people not expecting this movie to be historically accurate. The vast majority of people with not enough motivation to actually study what happened go to see this movie and come out thinking it is a more or less accurate event in history. The vast bulk of the viewing public doesn't have the eye for scrutiny that a proper historian has, look at how people reacted after seeing Braveheart.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 03:15
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The whole movie was pathetic ... but we know we live in the time of the dicatorship of politically correct ...

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 03:28
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The whole movie was pathetic ... but we know we live in the time of the dicatorship of politically correct ...

Perhaps this is why he misspelled the city?
SOKON MEJIA View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SOKON   MEJIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 04:06
WELL    THE   OTHER   MOVIE   OF   RIDLI   SCOT (GLADIATOR)  WAS   HISTORICAL   INCORECT    TOO   SOO !

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 04:57
Yeah, But Gladiator was a good story, and that made up a lot. And Joaquin Phoenix of course. He makes up for a lot....

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 08:06
Originally posted by SOKON MEJIA

WELL    THE   OTHER   MOVIE   OF   RIDLI   SCOT (GLADIATOR)  WAS   HISTORICAL   INCORECT    TOO   SOO !

Why are you writing in Caps Lock? This is not especially polite. Please refrain from doing so from now on.
Lepidodendron View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Lepidodendron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 11:20
Yes, Gladiator, with the Roman army setting up their tents right in the middle of a forest. And of course Arthur. But that one was worse, because the makers claimed it to be historically accurate.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 12:41
Well,history always gets sucked in favor of visual effects in Hollywood.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SOKON   MEJIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 17:53
The   roman   emperor   Komodus   did  not   died  on  the  arena  !
HE did  not  kill  his  father  !
Maximus   was   not   a  real  person .but  i  agree  that  the  film   was   good!
About  the  kingdom  of  heaven   its  almost  like  a  fairy  tale    the  poor  blacksmith  and   his  story
And  one  thing  about  the  ansient  histori  movies  they  alaways  present  the  riders  with  streches (  dont  know  if  this  is  the  right  word  where  the  rider  put  his  feet )  although  the  avars  bring  this  thing  to  europe
and  why  its  bad  to  write  with  big  words  i  dont  understand
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 12:41
Well, writing in Caps Lock would imply that you are yelling out loud.

I don't understand, Kingdom of Heaven can't use stirrups (the word that you searched for) because Avars brought them to Europe???
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote SOKON   MEJIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 13:03
I  talk  about  the  movies  before  christ  like  Alexander    Gladiator  and  TROY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>