Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Rasta a recognized religion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Rasta a recognized religion?
    Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 09:53
Is Rasta a recognized religion?

Apparently, their highest religious figure was/is this fellow:

Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia

I've heard some people say Rasta is just Afrocentrism.

I did some quick reading about their concept of "Jah", "Zion" vs "Babylon", Nimrod, and how Haile Selassie is supposedly the 225th in an unbroken line of Ethiopian monarchs descended from the biblical King Solomon & Queen of Sheba?

Edited by Hellios - 01-Mar-2007 at 22:56
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2006 at 13:03
Recognized by whom? I'd say that it has all the markings of a religion. Haile Selassie, also known by the title of "Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah", was revered as more than a hero, but as the representative of God on Earth.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by Decebal

Recognized by whom?

By different countries and/or international bodies, if applicable.

I'd say that it has all the markings of a religion.

I agree.

Haile Selassie, also known by the title of "Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah", was revered as more than a hero, but as the representative of God on Earth.

Yeah, really interesting.

Learned below today (lemme know if wrong):

The name Rastafari comes from Ras (Duke or Chief) Tafari Makonnen, the pre-coronation name of Haile Selassie I.

Based on an interpretation of Biblical prophecy of Selassie's status as "the only African monarch of a fully independent nation", and his titles of "Conquering Lion of Judah (Revelation 5:5)".

Rastas follow the "ital" diet, essentially the dietary Laws of Leviticus and Deuteronomy in the Old Testament.

They regard themselves as in conformance of how Africans should live, reclaiming what they see as a culture stolen from them when their ancestors were exported on slave ships.

Rastas stress loyalty to their concept of "Zion", and rejection of modern society (called Babylon).  "Babylon" in this case is considered to be rebelling against "Earth's Rightful Ruler" (Jah) ever since the days of King Nimrod.

Many Rastas learn to speak Amharic, which they consider to be the original language.

In the 10th c. BC, the Solomonic Dynasty of Ethiopia was founded by Menelik I, son of Solomon and Queen Sheba, who had visited Solomon in Israel.  According to the Kebra Nagast, she conceived his child, and from this, conclude that African people are among the true children of Israel, or Jews.

Rastas believe that the Bible was changed by the white power structure.

They believe they're descendants of the ancient 12 tribes of Israel.

Rastas say that there will be a Day of Judgment, when the righteous shall return home to Mount Zion, identified with Africa, to live forever in peace, love, and harmony.  In the meantime the Rastas call to be repatriated to Africa.  Repatriation, the desire to return to Africa after 400 years of slavery, is central to Rastafari doctrine.

Rastas believe that their own body is the true church or temple of God, and so see no need to make temples or churches out of physical buildings.

In 1996, the Rastafari religion was given consultative status by the UN.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2006 at 03:36
I've heard some people say Rasta is just Afrocentrism.

It traces some of its roots to Afro-centrist movements (namely, free you from the Whiteman), but in Ethiopia it found a Christianity free from the history of European oppression, and in Selassie a sort of spiritual guide role model.
Its recognised in some countries, but not in others. In the UK many Rastafarians tick 'orthradox' on forms, though i gather Orthradox christan bodies in the UK don't regonise Rastafainism as an Orthradox sect.
The idea of a religion being 'officialy recognised' is absurd, in my eyes it runs contrary to the the notion of religious freedom.
Arrrgh!!"
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2006 at 08:09
I get a chance to speak with them about once a month, lately more often.  They're not very tolerant of other religions.  "The Babylon system must fall!" Wink

Some people put their religion in the same 'category' as the Afro-Cuban Santeria, Haitian Voodoo, Brazilian Macumba, etc.

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 19:46
A lot of my buddies from High School considered themselves 'Rastafarians.' As far as I could discern, they were just whiteboys who liked to smoke pot and listen to reggae. 
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 17:39
Originally posted by Hellios

Haile Selassie is supposedly the 225th in an unbroken line of Ethiopian monarchs descended from the biblical King Solomon & Queen of Sheba?

yes thats what they beleive, and also King Menelik 2nd is said to be the son of King Solomon, and Makeda(Queen of Sheeba)
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AfrikaJamaika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 17:39
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

A lot of my buddies from High School considered themselves 'Rastafarians.' As far as I could discern, they were just whiteboys who liked to smoke pot and listen to reggae. 

LMAO thats priceless man....
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 03:05
all religions are aknowledged you don't have to do that
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 16:25
I am sure it could be considered as a religion as long as you have enough followers. I mean, even the belief of Jedi is considered religion in some places because there are so many people believing in it. I think they are just doing it to make fun of other religions... but I am unsure...

Join us.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 14:46
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 16:35
Isn't the only thing they do Smoke marihuana
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 19:24
I mean, even the belief of Jedi is considered religion in some places because there are so many people believing in it.

Popular myth btw, at least as far as 'official recognition' is concerned.

There are a lot of white converts to Rastafarianism in the UK, and no, its not the pot, its the back to basics christianity minus the bigotry, and the fact that they probably married one.

Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 09:42
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Isn't the only thing they do Smoke marihuana

Well, historically, consumption of drugs has always been close to shamanism and  religion feelings. That's because drugs are used to get in touch with the "other world".

Remember that the Catholic priest still drink wine in the Catholic mass LOL.
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 11:36
Did a casual search on "Rasta" & saw this image titled "Rasta Christ".
Some people might not like it.  I find it nice.

General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 11:50
It's interesting to note that this sort of thing is not at all logically sound. Jesus was a Semite, which were group of people living in the middle east. Middle Easterners tend not to be African. It's more likely Jesus looked like a Palestinian, not an African.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 13:03
Well, I will try to explain using Afrocentric induction:

"Logic is Eurocentric. A creation of the White man to steal the history of the Black man"

So, if something is logical, for certain it must be a complot of the Eurocentrists.Wink

Pinguin
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 13:04

It's interesting to note that this sort of thing is not at all logically sound. Jesus was a Semite, which were group of people living in the middle east. Middle Easterners tend not to be African. It's more likely Jesus looked like a Palestinian, not an African.

I agree with you but find the image pleasant (in a sense) only because religious fusions are interesting.

Depends on the perspective; do you see it as an attempt by blacks to "rob" a "white" religious figure or an attempt to fuse Jesus into their lives in a way that's easier for them?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 13:21
Did a casual search on "Rasta" & saw this image titled "Rasta Christ".
Some people might not like it.  I find it nice.

True. Plus Jesus was oppressed by The Man, so its appropiate.
Arrrgh!!"
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by Hellios

I agree with you but find the image pleasant (in a sense) only because religious fusions are interesting.

Depends on the perspective; do you see it as an attempt by blacks to "rob" a "white" religious figure or an attempt to fuse Jesus into their lives in a way that's easier for them?

I don't see the correlation. Since Jesus was a Semite, not a White or a Black man, I don't see how I could be angry about 'blacks "robbing" a "white" religious figure.'

Interesting ideas, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>