Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite armor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Keltoi View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Keltoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite armor.
    Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 14:05
Originally posted by warhead

in great quantity.

Read the whole post next time

Cymru am Byth
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 15:49

"But if the Mongols came before the Manchus, how is that logically possible?"

? The mongols never used silk armour in great quantity as it was expensive and lacking, on the other hand the manchu bannerman wore excessive silk as protection.

"I am quite certain that the Mongols were the first to wear silk as a protection against arrows."

I do remember reading that some turkish people wore it before them. And if I wasn't mistaken so did the Jin. Its not hard to believe considering silk has been around for a long time.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 14:44
Hmm, I like many types of armor; such as the segmented armor worn by the Roman legionaries in the 1st-2nd centuries AD, lamellar armor worn by many peoples (especially those of Byzantine Romans and Turks), chain armor of the medieval times, Ottoman chain-plate mixed armor of 15th-16th centuries and definitially the Japanese samurai armor.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Hwarang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 18:18
I really like korean armor like koguryo armor and i like samurai armor too.
Myyeeeeararrrrgghhh!!!-~Howard Dean
hannibal View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 23:42

Keltoi's armor is really beautiful,

As China has about several thousand years history, I can  list a part of armors appeared in its history.

from 2000BC. to 19th century.

http://zh1110.nease.net/OTHER/zgjbkj.htm

http://www.historylink101.net/china/armor.htm

Who am I?
I'm General of Carthage;
Eternal biggest enemy of Rome.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 14:45

I'm most interested in european 14th century armour - when the armour developed from simple maille to advanced plate armour. I'm actually currently working on a suite of armour from the early 14th century - a combination of maille, leather and plate armour. It will look something like this:

http://www.historiska.se/histvarld/drakter/1300sla/1300slafr .htm

/Mikael

Edited by Mangudai
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 19:25
Wow your making it!  very cool!
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 15:40

You're surely an interesting person, Mangudai

(btw, welcome *back* to AE)

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 15:44
this silk armour you're talking about....do you mean brigandine or what?
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:25
what is brigandine? is it like leather?
No silk armor is just a silk undershirt. It is not meant to prevent or deflect blows or arrows. Rather it is to prevent arrows from being embedded into one's flesh. (you just pull on the undershirt, to remove the arrow.)
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:41
Umm, the Manchu cavalry silk armour seems to be on the outside,
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 19:53

Brigandine armor,  if I am correct was an armor used by the Spanish mainly,  it was made of layers of hard leather strips that were riveted together,  a soldier could repair it,  it was pretty light(about six pounds) and very sturdy.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 23:05

Originally posted by warhead

Umm, the Manchu cavalry silk armour seems to be on the outside,

The mongols had it on the inside.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2004 at 12:36
brigandine is fabric over plate, the Manchu are prbably most famous for it, but it was also known int eh west.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 06:55
Originally posted by ihsan

You're surely an interesting person, Mangudai

(btw, welcome *back* to AE)

Thanks mate!

Btw, speaking of "silk armour" - have anyone actually tested that material against arrows in modern tests_

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 10:24
Originally posted by Huitzilopochtli

Brigandine armor,  if I am correct was an armor used by the Spanish mainly,  it was made of layers of hard leather strips that were riveted together,  a soldier could repair it,  it was pretty light(about six pounds) and very sturdy.

can also be made of metal plates.

My favorite... mountain pattern scale, an armour exclusively produced in China (and possibly Korea). It's like the final step in the evolution of scale armors (scale->lamellar->Mountan pattern scale)

http://www.flatbow.com/shanwenkia/ that website explains what it is

I've only seen it rendered in art though, if there are any remaining suits of it still existing, they aren't on display.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2004 at 10:42
Wow...excellent armor
Grrr..
lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 23:55
I've seen a couple of really keen suits of japanese armour depicted (especially Fukoshimas) in Kessen for the PS2. The black Lorica segmentia (legionary armour) of the praetorian guard was pretty cool too. Another good one is the full dress gear of the british Royal Horse Guards. There the guys who follow the queens carriage in royal processions.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 07:14

For it's era this kind of armor was, probably, the best in this part of the world.

GREEK HELMETS:

Corinthian (Infantry, 7th-5th century BC)

Boeotian (Cavalry, 5th-2nd century BC)

Phrygian (Infantry, 5th-2nd century BC, usede mainly by Ionian Greeks and Alexander's troops)

Attic helmet (Infantry, 5th-2nd century BC)

Breastplates (Thorax, Argos, 8th century BC-one of the early ones):

Breastplates (Thorax, Greek Apulia, 4th century BC):

Other types of armor were made out of Linen (Linothorax). They were lighter, offered good protection and were not as hot! Here's what Linothorax looked like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1855328674/ref=sib_dp_pt/103 -5952402-4879842#reader-page (sometimes leather was used instead)

leg guards:

Overall:

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 19:15
i'd have to say anything flexible and light
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>