Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How come the Soviet Union an America locked horns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
think View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote think Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come the Soviet Union an America locked horns
    Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 17:02
OK i know why they "locked horns" so to speak but why didnt the Soviet Union reduce its military budget an start catering for the citizens, or why wasnt communism relaxed bit by bit so they could have the wealth that America had..

I understand they were both Super Powers, both enemies an both wanted to be top dog. Yet it would have been evident to the Russians that this over-spending was going to bankrupt them...

Im no expert on the Cold War Smile

What was Africas role during the Cold War Confused
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2006 at 22:16
That's an interesting point.

I think (Correct me if I am wrong) the Soviet officials did not have clear idea about their nation. One must consider the crisis the Soviet had in WWI, WWII, Mogolian invasion and such. Imperial Russia and Soviet Union suffered enormous casualties and damages from the West. Especially after WWII, where Soviet Union suffered over 7 million Russians with countless amount of property damages, the Russian leaders were so concerned about foreign threats. They soon believed in the idea of Stalin. If Russia have lack of defense, then Russians would all go to hell by the enemies' weapons. They believed that the best interest for the Russian people is to strengthen the security at all costs.

Weapons make people feel that they are safer. I honestly don't believe that most of the Russians wanted to invade and conquer America, as many would believe. Russia felt insecure, for they are usually behind the Western technology, economy, and such. If they are not exceptional in some ways, they will no longer be feared or respected. Gosplans, the organizers of Soviet economy, were not aware of the Soviet's dying economy. Centrally planned economy ended with failure because people became too lazy to work in efficieny. And why not? They get the same wage regardless of their talents. Many brilliant Russians moved away to Western world for freedom and profit. This made little chance for Russians to hire any intelligent and gifted Russians.  Mass media from America made many Russian leaders scared because they thought it was America's way to attack Soviet people psychologically. That's why they tried to ban Rock & Roll songs, which ended in failure.

Sorry to cut the chat, but I gotta finish my chemistry lab report...Cry
Sock Puppet View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Sock Puppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 03:06
As a French leader once boasted to a yankee one. We only have the firepower to destroy the world once, we find it enough.

The Russies should definately have cut their military production and saved their economy. However.... remember Kruschev? Would the generals allow any politician to cut their budget? Even here in the US if a regime came into power and tried to stop the military industrial complex there would be a military coup.

Edited by Sock Puppet - 17-Dec-2006 at 03:07
When in Rome do as the Romans do, is not good advice when visiting an Italian public toilet.
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2006 at 18:05
I would recommend that you read "The Tragedy of Great Power Politics" by John Mearshimer.  In it he makes the argument that all great powers seek security through global hegemony, not simply the ability to defend themselves.  It is as good an explanation as any for why the cold war continued after MAD.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 08:29
Originally posted by think

Yet it would have been evident to the Russians that this over-spending was going to bankrupt them...

One could say the same about the present day USA.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Yet it would have been evident to the Russians that this over-spending was going to bankrupt them...

Present? You mean ever since the beginning of Cold War.

Join us.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 00:15
Originally posted by pekau

I think he means present as in post-cold war. Also, the US government has been using deficit spending since the end of WWII, and we're not bankrupt yet, but we are headed there. In my opinion the government should raise taxes, cut spending, cut corruption. (OMG! I said it, raising taxes! *runs for cover*) The government should not spend more than it takes in...
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 00:20
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Originally posted by pekau

I think he means present as in post-cold war. Also, the US government has been using deficit spending since the end of WWII, and we're not bankrupt yet, but we are headed there. In my opinion the government should raise taxes, cut spending, cut corruption. (OMG! I said it, raising taxes! *runs for cover*) The government should not spend more than it takes in...

Mein Gott in himmel. The war is on. I hate taxes.

Join us.
chimx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote chimx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 17:31
There is an assumption present in this thread that it was overspending that caused the dissolution of the USSR, and not simply the ideological bankruptcy of state-directed capitalism present in the country.
"Hegel says somewhere that great historic facts and personages recur twice. He forgot to add: 'Once as tragedy, and again as farce.'" -Karl Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply