Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Determinism

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Determinism
    Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 20:18

What do you all think of this particular brand of historical interpretation?

I ask this because recently I was reading the book "What If?" and one of the historians was discussing what would have happened had Hitler been killed in the First World War.  He presented the opinion of some historians, but not himself he was doing it for the sake of discussion, that in Weimar Germany some demagogue like Hitler would have arisen no matter what by spouting much the same rhetoric.

I would tend to disagree with this.  I don't think one can ignore the effect that individuals do have on history.  In Weimar Germany specifically, I don't think anyone else could have come close to attaining the level of mass support that Hitler forged.  I also don't think that the Mongols would have been a great power without the brilliant leadership of Genghis Khan, one can certainly not argue that the almost complete conquest of Asia by the Mongols was written!

For these and other reasons I would consider myself one of the people who disagrees with historical determinism to a large extent and believes that individuals do play a large part in shaping history and the world.

Member of IAEA
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 02:17

The individuals can shape history if the conditions are right.

I think this happy medium should prove valuable in most cases.

Hitler was a product of WW1, and the Weimar Republic, and under no other circumstances would he be able - with such an agenda - to weild political power so easily and drag the world into WW2.

Had the post WW1 treaties been less harsh to Germany, or had Germany not lost the war, even a thousand Hitlers couldn't do what Adolf did to Germany.

Same as your other example: The military prowess of the Mongols and the rest of the steppe inhabitants, was there. The weakened, due to eudemonia, eastern Empires were there, ripe for the taking. It took only a man of the calibre of Genghis (Chinghiz?) to unite the tribes and forge a huge empire.

IF the conditions are right, an individual can shape history. Sometimes said individual is a historical necessity and will rise as a product of his times (like Hitler). Sometimes the individual shall stretch the limits of possible to achieve his goals (like Lenin).

It is humans that create history, but history is far more complicated than any human can envision.

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 03:07

I think one shouldnt confuse two things: Firstly would there have been some form of nationalist and authoritarian regime in Germany in the 20/30s without Hitler, and secondly would there have been a WW2 or Holocaust without him.

At the end of the 20s, as Germany was in a deep and devastating economic crisis, the country seemed to have the historical choice between Stalinist Communism and some form of Fascism. Hitler and the Nazis were at the beginning only one of the contenders on the far right, with numerous parties and demagogues contesting leadership (Alfred Hugenberg and the DNVP, for example).

With Industry, military and the all powerful bureaucracy backing right-wing movements, Germany would inevitably become a nationalist dictatorship, even under a leader other than Hitler. The same development of course, with different backgrounds, occurred in other European countries at the same time, Italy,Spain,Austria, Hungary etc.

The second question is not that easy to answer, but as much Nazism is now solely identified with Hitler, one should not forget that he was practically only the figurehead of  a collective leadership of the NSDAP, that was an extraordinary and poisonous mix of individuals with rather different talents ( in the worst possible sense). I think, the comet like rise of the NSDAP at the end of the 20s should rather be credited to Goebbels than Hitler, for example.

Anyway, I believe, that without the Nazis, but with another nationalist party in power, there wouldnt have been such an aggressive foreign policy that led to WW2, or the radical anti-Semitism that led to the atrocities of the holocaust.

Responsible for the crimes of the Nazis is not Hitler alone, without the support and collaboration of a huge number of willing Germans, even Hitler at the height of his powers couldnt have enforced the destructive policies of the NSDAP. At best, he was a catalyst that set a terrible development in motion and freed the potential for inhumanity of individuals that existed anyway

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 03:35

I dont like buying into any philosphy 100% no matter what it is but I would say Im about 50-50 on determinism.  You need special individuals to itroduce new innovation, but how far those individuals go depends on the environment. 

Since I tend to have a low opinions of people my example would look like this:

Say there are 5 potential hitlers per 1 million peopls in a given country (I certainyl have met people who do have such a potential were they ever to gain authoritative control) if they live an a trailer park its less likely they wil ever dso anything but bother their neighbors, except perhaps of they join the army and become a decorated war hero.  This part is chance, a power vacuum, weak government, or war, however nothing would come of it if the individual in question wasnt a certain way.

What world history seems to show is nothing, other than technology, ever really changes.  We are always the same creatures trying to do the same thing whether rich or poor, ancient egyptian or hawaiian.  Humaities story is less from point A to point B and more around the loop de loop we go.  However, the only thing that seems to stand out and be abelt to make a difference are the changes brought on by individuals who are different from the mass, this fits very well with my belief that most people are trolls and that society is nothing without its great or evil individuals.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 04:29

IMHO things are somewhere in the middle.

You see, in some particular fields there is a strong case for h.d.

For instance, pls. consider the history of science. The fact that many theories and inventions were claimed by different people or teams that reached approx. the same results in a short range of time is proof of it.

Same for social, political, economical changes individuals are negligible on these aspects.

On the contrary, I agree that certain larger-than-life historical characters greatly influenced the period when they lived.

As to the first example, one should notice that in the 1920-40 many fascist-like regimes emerged in Europe and in the world, and I believe its likely they were a sort of quasi-deterministic answer to a certain historical condition. I say "quasi-deterministic" because I think that more than determinism we should consider a higher or lower likeliness for a certain event to happen, or for a certain "gifted" person to reach his (her) ambitions, providing such a person exists in that certain time and place

So, if Hitler were killed in WWI, anyones guess is good mine is that probably Germany would have had a dictator nevertheless, but maybe one not so fanatic and crazy to massacre Jews and others, start a world war, etc. Maybe Hitlers replacement would have had a lower profile and died in his bed, like the Spanish Franco.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 05:04

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards"

"Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved"

Soren Kierkegaard

As one of the great anti determinists said.

I tend to think determinisms is a side effect of understandinglife backwards. If it did really exist, we'd have worked it out by now and been long able to know the future.

As in physics, we split the atom only to find we now have to split particles or expain the universe only to discover dark mattter. If determinism was ever discovered, it would have a mechanism working it, and we'd still be in the dark.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 07:49
Wont go that far with it but i agree with Serge and Genghis.
A dictator could have risen, but perhaps without the effect that Hitler gave. He was so charismatic.
How much of the mechanism that turned the Nazi machine came from one man's perspective i wonder.
The way it actually was.
Also, does 'mein kampf' carry any weight?
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 09:09

Yes, individuals can and do make the difference but the social-economic-political environment that surrounds them can ot cannot light the match for certain events to take place.

Certain times have certain trends but still, individuals prove to add a imprevisibility factor to history. Otherwise, like Paul said, one would be able to forsee the future by now.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 10:19
Originally posted by Infidel

Otherwise, like Paul said, one would be able to forsee the future by now.

Just to play devil's lawyer, one should argue that is not impossible by principle, but because we did not (yet) develop a technique to do it.

On this regard I remember the SCI-FI literary cycle of "the Foundation" by late Isaac Asimov, where is imagined that one scientist eventually mange to develop a mathematical method to foresee historical events.

However, it's interesting to notice that, even in that fictional scenario, a super-individual (a mutant called "the Mule") eventually emerges and cause the previsions to fail.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 10:39
Originally posted by Serge L

Originally posted by Infidel

Otherwise, like Paul said, one would be able to forsee the future by now.

Just to play devil's lawyer, one should argue that is not impossible by principle, but because we did not (yet) develop a technique to do it.

It is impossible by principle. In theory it's possible that the future is determined but it's impossible to predict it. By predicting the future you can change it. Suppose it's predicted scientifically that a you'll die next week. Then you draw a gun and shoot yourself. Then you have proven that the prediction wasn't true (I agree, it's a little drastic way to prove it, but still it's a way).
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 04:13

Well, in those novels the author supposed it was possible to develop a probabilistic approach to have a likely idea of future socio-political evolution at certain conditions (for instance, the pool should be no less than a billion of individuals, possibly more).

Something similar to weather forecasts (with the same non-certainty), but applied to big groups of people . . . and the novelist included the possibility to change the future.

In fact, the very core of the whole story was the effort to shrink a middle-age-like time period in the (fictional) galactic future history.

Post Reply Post Reply