Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of animals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of animals
    Posted: 29-Dec-2009 at 05:06
For me the distribution of animals and the continental drift is very interesting. If we see that e.g. primates evolved in North america or Europe, how did they come to Africa? Or why do we have Ant-eaters in Germany allthough they evolved, as far as we know, in South America? And there are much more questions.
stella20 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote stella20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2011 at 10:02
You have told rather interesting facts...And you did the right thing to post this information here...
strikes me the fact that Lions lived in the middle east and Europe untill the 3rd century AD. The European lions are thought to have been a little bigger in size than the African lions and were extinct largely because of the huntings of the Roman empire. As you know Romans used lions for amusement and made them fight with gladiators.
I think lions live only in Africa and they are bigger than whenever else.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2011 at 15:01
I don't know about the rest of North America, but the Northest had big cats as recent as 5,000 ybp.  Saber toothed cats died out here approx. 8-9,000 ybp.  I've found a carving that depicts a saber toothed cat of some kind.  That would mean that they were still here during the late Paleo/
 early Archaic.  There is also evidence for an extinct form of bison and also the short faced bear.

BTW- Germany had their own specie of lion, or rather west southern Europe.  Check me on this, but I believe the UK also had big cats up until rather recent.  Aamof, there are several places in Britain where they believe there are still big cats living.  Noth America still has big cats but their not as big as a lion.  New England still has Mountain lions, [Cougars} as does West Virginia and several other states in that region.  Florida has the Florida Panther.  These aren't as big as an African lion, the panther averages 100-150 lbs, still a good sized animal.  Note- "the authorities" state that there are less than 200 breeding animals in Florida and Georgia.  Better informed sources place breeding animals at 1000 plus.[Sources such as the Florida Highway Patrol and local Fish and Wildlife officers]   

Edited by red clay - 08-Jul-2011 at 15:16
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2011 at 02:43
Here is an interesting article on the origin of polar bears. Apparently they have been traced to Ireland.
jaribecker123 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jaribecker123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2017 at 06:35
Really glad to know about the history of these animals
IanZonja View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote IanZonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Apr-2018 at 05:35
European Lion (Panthera leo europaea) - Distributed in Southern Europe from the Iberia through to Liguria, Southern (Cisalpine) Gaul, as well as the Italian Peninsula. The full extent of it's range spread through the Balkans, into Greece and Macedonia, and Thrace. The European Lion was a significant part of Roman, Greek, Macedonian and Balkan Culture and Religion because of the power and majesty it symbolised. However, as a part of sport and hunting, the European Lion gradually diminished and became extinct around 1000AD. It was also used in Roman Gladiatorial arenas. There are numerous accounts of these beasts, including those by Herodotus and Aristotle.
jlaughs View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote jlaughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2018 at 04:21
I agree with the sentiments expressed in the original post. Humans have killed, tortured, and consumed animals without impunity. It is saddening, if not utterly cruel, to say the least. Historiography also does not account for the treatment of animals, which is troubling.

In Beatrice and Virgil, Yann Martel has attempted to relate the Holocaust via a depiction of animal cruelty. Reviewers have torn him apart because they think it is cheap and offensive to compare the Holocaust with animal cruelty. That says it all, if you ask me. Why must we be offended because we're compared to animals? They are living beings , too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567