Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prove your god's existence.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prove your god's existence.
    Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 21:53

The creating power of everything we have has been known to human's since we were first created. We've always had faith, always began with monotheism, followed by some kind of destortion followed by the realision and logic of monotheism again and this pattern keep's repeating.

All terms such as "proove", "discover", "believe" are human terms with flawed human contexts, the only perfect thing is nature and its laws which are never broken and never fail. The creation of nature, of the universe, of the world of life is perfect, as a human its very difficult to understand this therefore its even more difficult to even begin to try and understand the concept of "God".

If you were walking in the dessert and found a fully working flawless mechanized clock, we would call the person who tried to claim that it was just a coincidence and just happened to be there as the wacko, not the person who held a logical conviction that it was designed and created.

It's better to believe then not to in my opinion, what have you got to loose? if you die and there is no God you don't loose anything but if you die and their is God then your gonna wish you did Big smile

Hope and faith are human traits, in our increasingly materialistic world for some reason we dismiss such powerfull concepts as stupid, backwards, ridiculous which is unfortunate.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:16
Originally posted by Bulldog

The creating power of everything we have has been known to human's since we were first created. We've always had faith, always began with monotheism, followed by some kind of destortion followed by the realision and logic of monotheism again and this pattern keep's repeating.

Not really. The earliest stage of religion almost everywhere appears to have been animism, which in many places has evolved to either pantheism or polytheism. In some places polytheism became henotheism (there are more gods, but one is the most important) which eventually became monotheism. In fact compared to the other types of religion, monotheism is quite rare.

All terms such as "proove", "discover", "believe" are human terms with flawed human contexts, the only perfect thing is nature and its laws which are never broken and never fail. The creation of nature, of the universe, of the world of life is perfect, as a human its very difficult to understand this therefore its even more difficult to even begin to try and understand the concept of "God".

"Life is too difficult/perfect therefore we won't be able to comprehend it" is exactly the flaw of intelligent design.

After Newton came up with his theory of gravity, he noticed that the orbits of the planets didn't fit exactly in his theory, and that there was a slight deviation which kept them into their orbits. Newton wasn't able to explain this, and therefore attributed it to God. Nowadays science has progressed and is able to accurately expain that deviation of the planets' orbits. No thinking person addresses that to God anymore. The moral of this story: If we can't understand something that doesn't mean science cannot explain it. Attributing it to a creator is too easy a way out.

It's better to believe then not to in my opinion, what have you got to loose? if you die and there is no God you don't loose anything but if you die and their is God then your gonna wish you did Big smile

I don't see any reason to believe in something without evidence. And besides: one could say the same about the Islamic God, or about the Judaic, or about Hindu gods, Roman gods, Germanic, Aztec gods, etc. why not believe in Jupiter? if you die and there is no Jupiter you don't loose anything but if you die and their is Jupiter then your gonna wish you did
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:25
While I'm sure someone has said this before, proving the existence of God is quite impossible. If you were to prove God exists, then the entity you just identified could not possibly be God. 'Proof' defies the very nature of divinity. Faith is required, which is founded in what you can observe of the world and deduce as a result of these observations.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:45
Proove God exists...

Being alive and having this amazing human body and most amazing of all life is proof...

The functioning of the Earth and Universe is proof...

The beauty, symetry and perfectness of nature and its rules are proof...

The harmony of the Sun giving us heat, the Moon and its gravity are proof...

Me being able to think about this topic and anything else, having the choice and ability to make decisions, learn and gain knowledge is proof...

etc etc

There is so much proof, it just depends on your perspectives, some people take these for granted and as if it's nothing special at all which is a pity for them as not being able to appreciate these miracles is a shame.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 08:58

Proove God exists...

Being alive and having this amazing human body and most amazing of all life is proof...

The functioning of the Earth and Universe is proof...

The beauty, symetry and perfectness of nature and its rules are proof...

The harmony of the Sun giving us heat, the Moon and its gravity are proof...

Me being able to think about this topic and anything else, having the choice and ability to make decisions, learn and gain knowledge is proof...

etc etc

There is so much proof, it just depends on your perspectives, some people take these for granted and as if it's nothing special at all which is a pity for them as not being able to appreciate these miracles is a shame.

None of this is proof. It is just obvious statements that everybody knows (how does being able to think, or having a moon, the sun, etc. prove that there is a creator?)

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 18:29
It all depends on your perspective, just because we see, feel, experience and deal with these things everyday doesn't make it any less miraculous then it is. Sometimes when people are born rich with acess to anything they want, they don't realise what they have untill they loose it.

In my perspective what I listed among countless other reasons is proof for me.

Nobody has to agree with it, we all were given a brain, a soul and free will and can think what we wish and that's the beauty of it, the very concept of being able to disagree and debate is amazing in itself if you take the entire world and solar-system into account.
Albert Pine

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 18:40
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

[quote]It's better to believe then not to in my opinion, what have you got to loose? if you die and there is no God you don't loose anything but if you die and their is God then your gonna wish you did Big smile

I don't see any reason to believe in something without evidence. And besides: one could say the same about the Islamic God, or about the Judaic, or about Hindu gods, Roman gods, Germanic, Aztec gods, etc. why not believe in Jupiter? if you die and there is no Jupiter you don't loose anything but if you die and their is Jupiter then your gonna wish you did

Who knows, maybe they are all real! Maybe God, or Gods, are just the collective energy of their believers! Maybe over time all the energy and willpower people focus on their religion manifests itself in the form of God, or Gods, or...whatever else they believe in! Ah, I know it, a crazy crackpot theory, but an interesting one, I think. I think I've read this theory in sci-fi or fantasy books. Who knows, maybe its true?
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2007 at 18:49
MixCoatl

From my perspective there is only one "creating power" and I feel that this basic understanding is expressed by mankind across the world. All cultures have a creation story, its something common to all societies. To me all the God's are just different societies interpretations of the "creating power" which we all as human's somewhere deep within us have some kind of belief or faith in.

Belief, faith, is common to humanity, I don't think it should be so easily dismissed and ridiculed its a part of us and must have a purpose and reason.

Edited by Bulldog - 08-Jan-2007 at 18:50
Albert Pine

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 01:21
Let me reply a tongue-in-cheek to proving "my" God's existence.

Basically, "my God" is an independent entity.
Like any other person, he got his own value system.
But unlike other person, he got powers beyond human capabilities, and some beyond human imagination.

But He's God, so it's really a matter of Him telling me what to do rather than the other way round.

I don't go telling him "Here's what you do to that doubting Thomas over there... turn his hands into jelly for five minutes when I say 'Watch and learn.'"

If he wants to prove his existence to you, he could do it *himself*.
If he does not, I don't try to goad him saying "You show him, boss.", that is not smart at all.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 17:46

MixCoatl

From my perspective there is only one "creating power" and I feel that this basic understanding is expressed by mankind across the world. All cultures have a creation story, its something common to all societies. To me all the God's are just different societies interpretations of the "creating power" which we all as human's somewhere deep within us have some kind of belief or faith in.

Belief, faith, is common to humanity, I don't think it should be so easily dismissed and ridiculed its a part of us and must have a purpose and reason.

I you see the universe as being custom crafted, being made for human inhabitants (by God) I think that's illogical reasoning. The reason everything seems so 'special' is because if it wasn't we wouldn't be around to contemplate it! If the universe was made of black holes no life could be in it to marvel at those black holes. If the universe was all energy, no life would be in it to contemplate the all energy universe. Things are as they are because they must be that way for us to be around to see them not because of any detached, supernatural beings fickle whims. And this is not the anthropic principle either, human perception, indeed all life is secondary to the issue.

As our scientific knowledge has increased so has our concept of scale as we humans fit into the larger picture. At first It was just the tribe, then the continent, then planet Earth, then the solar system with Earth as the center, then Copernicus showed the sun was the center of the solar system, then we thought the Milky way galaxy was all that existed, then galaxies turned into just another smaller component of the larger whole, the Universe. But it doesn't stop there by any means, for what we see to exist requires other universes, a universe of universes and a probability or evolution of sorts on a meta-universal scale. As humbling as it is the scale and perhaps significance of humanity shrinks in accordance with the magnitude of our knowledge. Universes are like grains of sand on the beach, or stars in our sky, or atoms in our body. How high does the meta scale climb? Will we ever know?  Finally if you want a theological scale-conundrum to ruminate over ask yourself who created God?
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 21:19
Vulkan
The reason everything seems so 'special' is because if it wasn't we wouldn't be around to contemplate it!

And that's precisely the reason why it's so "special", we are here and can think and openly contemplate, that in itself is such an amazing concept.

Us being able to use your brain to conjure and put together the ideas in your brain and express them with words is awesome in itself.

Vulkan
Finally if you want a theological scale-conundrum to ruminate over ask yourself who created God?
God is the creater of everything and all the concepts we try to understand, time, the universal laws etc

We try to understand the issue using the "knowledge" we have today, we cannot even begin to contemplate ideas such as, if time was created before time what was there?

In my perspective there was always God, nobody created God, God created everything we have, time, the universal laws of nature and is the reason we today can have this debate.

Ofcourse that's my perspective, nobody can proove or disproove it using today's science.
Albert Pine

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 21:27

God is the creater of everything and all the concepts we try to understand, time, the universal laws etc

We try to understand the issue using the "knowledge" we have today, we cannot even begin to contemplate ideas such as, if time was created before time what was there?

Exactly.
If God is the Almighty creator of everything, every law, ever concept within our universe then He definatly has the power to put himself above any of the laws he has created, such as time. If God exists, His omnipotence should lead us to believe that anything and everything is possible to Him.

Edited by Knights - 09-Jan-2007 at 21:27
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 08:10
Originally posted by Knights

If God exists, His omnipotence should lead us to believe that anything and everything is possible to Him.

Which it doesn't. Clearly there are many people who do not believe that anything and everything is possible to him, or that anything and everything is possible to another him.

So if he's omnipotent (and omnibenevolent) how can he be so cruel by witholding the truth to many people?
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 08:25
The truth is there for those who wish to see it.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 11:11
Mixcoatl
Which it doesn't. Clearly there are many people who do not believe that anything and everything is possible to him, or that anything and everything is possible to another him.

That again is the beauty of it all and why were so fortunate, we have free will and have the ability to actually think, disagre, debate and challenge each other's views which helps our knowledge progress. This alone is an amazing concept.

Mixcoatl
So if he's omnipotent (and omnibenevolent) how can he be so cruel by witholding the truth to many people?

Why must is be "him"? I'm against the genderisation of God and find it unlogical but that's my perspective on the issue.

What cruelty? all cruelty is caused by us there is no point blaming others, we have free will and have the ability not to be cruel but alot of the times we are and its our choice. But we can also do good and this is also our choice.

Witholding? life, the laws of the universe, time, the very fact the sun gives us life and everything operates in such perfection that we are living today. If you look at it from the perspective that all of this and everything else is actually the creation of God you realise that God is everywhere and its so amazing, fascinating and beautiful.

Praetor

Exactly   
Albert Pine

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 12:28

The moral of this story: If we can't understand something that doesn't mean science cannot explain it. Attributing it to a creator is too easy a way out.

Even if it can be explained by science, that doesn't exclude a creator from acting upon it. Everything belongs to God, every atom, every form of energy, every law of the universe, so why shouldn't he act upon his possessions.

Just because some people deny a truth doesn't mean that truth does not exist.

Or would you prefer "scientific proof" where God shows himself to everyone with no room for error, to me this would seem insulting to his greatest creations, since this would mean that we do not possess the intelligence to come to the truth on our own. It would be like a teacher giving you the answers to a test because they think you'll fail, God believes we will all pass his test so he let's us come to the answers in our own time.

if you die and there is no Jupiter you don't loose anything but if you die and their is Jupiter then your gonna wish you did

From my understanding of Greco-Roman mythology, even if you did believe in Jupiter, he wasn't going to stop whoring himself with mortal women and men to help you in the afterlife.

Why must is be "him"? I'm against the genderisation of God and find it unlogical but that's my perspective on the issue.

Unlogical? God has only one incarnation, that of Christ and in this incarnation he chose to be male. Therefore the ascribing of the male gender to him is highly appropriate. I agree God himself is beyond gender, but He is masculine, and he has been so since he was first described in the bible. (Actually the first description of God in the Bible is using a plural word that has the meaning of a third person singular masculine perfect.)
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 12:33
I simply find the use of the term "he" convenient in conversation, rather than necessarily connoting gender qualities. Referring to a sentient being as "it" doesn't seem appropriate, and "he" is used in the bible.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 12:41
Originally posted by Praetor

That's dodging the evidence. Every religion and non-religion can say that: "God does not exist, and that truth is there for those who wish to see it."

That again is the beauty of it all and why were so fortunate, we have free will and have the ability to actually think, disagre, debate and challenge each other's views which helps our knowledge progress. This alone is an amazing concept.

That's insufficient. If God was really omnipotent he could give us both free will and the ability to think, disagre, debate and challenge each other's views.

Besides, you can't deny that most people who are religious are so because their parents have raised them like that. Has very little to do with free will.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 12:49

Besides, you can't deny that most people who are religious are so because their parents have raised them like that. Has very little to do with free will.

Most people also, belong to the same political party of their parents, support the same sports teams,and live in the same region as their parents. I guess that means that these parents also give their children no free will.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 13:14

What cruelty? all cruelty is caused by us there is no point blaming others, we have free will and have the ability not to be cruel but alot of the times we are and its our choice. But we can also do good and this is also our choice.

Witholding? life, the laws of the universe, time, the very fact the sun gives us life and everything operates in such perfection that we are living today. If you look at it from the perspective that all of this and everything else is actually the creation of God you realise that God is everywhere and its so amazing, fascinating and beautiful.

Exactly   

Whether its fascinating and beautiful its a matter of personal preconception and opinion. The painful truth however is that all life is here to cruelly consume other life in order to survive. You simply can't ignore something so visible that makes all living struggle and suffering. All organisms beings including us humans basically struggle and create ideas to escape that inglorious end. Its the most powerful instinct that influences human societies and behaviour, far more so than sex or other desires.

Edited by vulkan02 - 10-Jan-2007 at 13:16
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>