Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who are Turks? The current people in Anatolia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who are Turks? The current people in Anatolia?
    Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 04:25

oops,  i write it wrong

Turks of TODAY are mainly mixed between original Asian-Europeans Ottomans and (Arabic?).

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 23:47
Originally posted by minchickie

oops,  i write it wrong

Turks of TODAY are mainly mixed between original Asian-Europeans Ottomans and (Arabic?).

You could say that Turks of Turkey have mixed with other nations but not in big amounts.but then again how many country can you name that this situation has not occured? not much.

You can see many Central Asian looking Turks in Turkey but mainly in mountainous regoins due to climate.You will not see them much in crowded cities (which happens to be cost lines of Turkey) due to climate.

Many Turks of Turkey will or can not have the look of Central Asia due to Climate.it's that simple!

What's the Central Asian Climate like? 

Temperate Grasslands, Savannas and Shrublands ;

-water semi arid (wet season, dry season in Summer)

-temperature: warm to hot season ( with a cold to Freezing Season in Winter )

Palaearctic;

-Central Asia is home to dry steppe grasslands and desert basins, with montane forests, woodlands, and grasslands in the region's high mountains and plateaux.

Since Central Asia is not buffered by a large body of water, temperature fluctuations are more severe.that's why mountainous regions of Turkey shows peculiarity of Central Asia.

look at the mediterenian countries.they all look alike due to climate...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 20:53

You people are forgetting a very important piece of turkish history = a very atrocious one at that.  First of all. The Turks were of central asian descent, huns, tatars, mongolians, avars.

A story that came down generation by generation is how these turkish invaders looked like and their habits is that when they give birth to  a child they would put two wooden boards against the sides of the head so that they can elongate it to look more caucasian, and they would eat horse manure baked in with their bread= steak tatar .           ;      I am in no way making fun of them but this is what was observed by my forefathers. 

With their devious armies they expanded into eastern and southern europe, which is Serbia,Bosnia,Greece, Bulgaria. They ruled over these people for about 500 yrs- more or less depending on which group.  They were not only ruling but they were viscous and barbaric. They forced a tax on families to provide a son to the turkish army back in turkey, they took all the girls to be sold as slaves and into harems.  Imagine how much they have mixed. I mean by that time the Greeks were already very mixed with Persians and some Africans (they had black slaves in ancient greece).

Yes, Turks are mixed but also note that because the darker asiatic genes are more stronger, it is more prevalent and it can still be seen in certain features of the turks.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 21:07
Originally posted by erci

Originally posted by minchickie

oops,  i write it wrong

You could say that Turks of Turkey have mixed with other nations but not in big amounts.but then again how many country can you name that this situation has not occured? not much.

You can see many Central Asian looking Turks in Turkey but mainly in mountainous regoins due to climate.You will not see them much in crowded cities (which happens to be cost lines of Turkey) due to climate.

Many Turks of Turkey will or can not have the look of Central Asia due to Climate.it's that simple!

What's the Central Asian Climate like? 

Temperate Grasslands, Savannas and Shrublands ;

-water semi arid (wet season, dry season in Summer)

-temperature: warm to hot season ( with a cold to Freezing Season in Winter )

Palaearctic;

-Central Asia is home to dry steppe grasslands and desert basins, with montane forests, woodlands, and grasslands in the region's high mountains and plateaux.

Since Central Asia is not buffered by a large body of water, temperature fluctuations are more severe.that's why mountainous regions of Turkey shows peculiarity of Central Asia.

look at the mediterenian countries.they all look alike due to climate...

Climate? The turks did not arrive until what, the 11th-14th century? Climate has no effect on a people in such a short time. These people on the coasts are not of "TURKIC" origin, and i mean by turkic not central asian turkic origin.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 22:21
yes they are Greek I forgot sorry

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 22:24
Balkanlady, you figured that out  now live with it!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:20

Sorry, but you people become ignorant sometimes.

Balkanlady, I see that you know NOTHING about Ottoman systems and procedures, and I dont think you are available to be educated about it. So believe what your governments orders you to.

Strateogos, please, if you dont know, just dont make comments. Turks have been settling in anatolia since the tenth century (900s), but some Turks have arrived Eastern anatolia long before that, but because they were in fewer numbers and nomads, they have been assimilated in the local societies.

Turkmens, ancestors of current Anatolian Turks have been settling in Anatolia since the beginning of 11th century (1000s), and heavily after the victory of Manzikert (1071). Those massive immigrations of Turks and Seljuk policies of settling the excessive Turkmen population to Anatolia, a new homeland lasted until the Ilkhanid invasion. But until 1402, most of the Turkish population from Transoxania, Khorasan etc. have been pushed into Anatolia by Mongols and Timur. That is how the Turkification of Anatolia happened.

Of course we have mixed some, but it was with the locals who didnt have seperate national identities, such as the ancient locals, not Christian societies like Romans, Armenians etc. And the harems were for the padishah khans, not for the regular villager, so we didnt have the opportunity to mix with Balkan blondies, but if we had it, believe me we would do it with pleasure...

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 14:47

Ogu, I was  talkin about his so called "climate theory", bnecause quite frankly, central asian turks who came to anatolia didnt have enough time for climate to take effect. Even when Byzantine Empire lost control of Anatolia, the hugew population of Greeks and other ethnicities remained, and were not simply replaced by central asian looking turks, as you can tell..

My question is were are the kurds atr this time? In South Western Anatolia? Why have we not heard anything of them, because now they have big numbers in that area?

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2005 at 15:44
I didn't say Turks did not mix with other nations.of course we did.I'm not ashamed of it but proud of it in fact.Greeks as well.they've mixed with Turks, albaninan, macedonians etc... like many other country. Climate is not the only reason all alone but it is a fact.as for the kurds most of them have mixed too.do you think they are symbolyzing the pure of bloodness? NO.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 03:07

There wasnt a large Greek population in Anatolia, they were in very few numbers, only around Smyrna (zmir) and southern Aegean region. Most of the anatolian locals were people who called themselves Rums (Romans), but they were the descendents of the ancient locals of Anatolia, not Greeks or Romans. Rums had their seperate national and religious identities, after our conquest of Anatolia we mixed with the once non-Roman Christian inhabitants who were once assimilated in the Eastern Roman society.

Greeks were a totally seperate nation and just their language was expanded through the empire, not their ethnicity. The official language was Greek but all the empire's population wasnt consisted of the main subject, Romans.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2005 at 04:31
Strategos,
   Hi there. How's it going? Fine, I'd hope. Well, does it really matter if they're a mixture of a thousand nations or preserved well as a pure rag? Just look at the power and influence Turks had... because even minorities who've been losted in Turkic 'Sea', today call themselves Turk. Turkic people are honorable everywhere... take good care and just take it easy.

Kind regards,
Iltirish
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 13:47

Originally posted by gok_toruk

Strategos,
   Hi there. How's it going? Fine, I'd hope. Well, does it really matter if they're a mixture of a thousand nations or preserved well as a pure rag? Just look at the power and influence Turks had... because even minorities who've been losted in Turkic 'Sea', today call themselves Turk. Turkic people are honorable everywhere... take good care and just take it easy.

Kind regards,
Iltirish

Hello,

Well, as the case in the Ottoman empire, converting to Islam in Ottoman Empire meant becoming a "turk", many did this to avoid persecution, taxes, or having there sons turned into jannesaries. Take good care and you too keep it easy.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 14:08
Dear Strategos,
   Hi there. Thanks for your wishes.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 17:31
Dear gok_toruk, you are the politest member of AE!
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
AydoluAtsiz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote AydoluAtsiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 08:24

heheh he is indeed...

i dont agree with this climate thing either. everything i have ever seen on scientific shows on tv or read on the internet says it takes between 10000-40000 years for this change in physical appearance to take shape due to climate. so i guess about 250-1000 generations i guess. if a generation counts as 40 years. if anyone knows better as to how long it is please correct me.

iftiolu Aydolu Atsz

Trk duygusu her Trkye en tatl kmzdr;
Trk lks candan da aziz bayramzdr...
Darbeyle gnllerde yatan lk silinmez!
Atsz yere dmekle bu bayrak yere inmez!...
derjagger View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote derjagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 08:26
i want to say that this topic is useful but i think we must see that situation from diffrent wiev.Nation word means diffrent things to usin Turkey.As Ziya Gkalp or Atatrk said if u say ur turk, ur turk no need to ethnic or religous connection.Looking ,religion or ethnic connections cannot fully tell the meaning of Turk.In ottoman times religon maybe ,but in modern times it doesnot .Ethnic or tribal connections is important for us if u say ur not Turk.
can understand why froegneirs discuss this topic to much ,because of diffrence between Anatolia people and Central asian people.
I can say that we have connection with them in many things.For example language ,religon, history etc...
But we have many diffrences with them too.when i was student in universty central asian students come from all new republics.Honestly i can say that none of them accept them selves turk.n fact we have more similarities with kurds or caucasians than them.they had strong connections to their tribal thights.But this was 13 years ago now i am hearing that they are accepting themselves as difrent parts of turkistan.U know that there is a geographical term "Turkistan" to mean west of central asia,begins xianang(they called themselves uygur and they called their country East Turkistan.)to casparian sea .Our language has similarites between zbek, Trkmen ,and Azeri language , we talked with them easily after few months but Khazaks and Krgzs have very diffrent language.They have same gramer with Turkish(stanbul Turkish) alot same word, but very hard to talk we talked them in English.And i must add thatit is true they learned turkish very easily and fast nearly in 5 months and began to work in turkey and never returns. (hehehe.)Other turksih people from all over the world (raq,ran,Russia,Ukranie,Balkans etc..)i met like us and has very very diffrences.About Ethnic connection as an example can give myself ,My mother is from Caucasia(Kumuk Turks?!)and dont know any language only turkish , my fathers dad from Northen Iraq he called himself Arap,my grandmom from Diyarbakir(southeast anatolia) she called herself Turkmen ,Mywife is from Balkans(Hermother from Greek salanokia, blonde and blue eyes-Her father from Bulgaria white,brown hairs and eyes).To be Turk only need to feel like Turk.Thx to all
PSry for my bad english and writing because i dont have much time
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 14:17
Dear derjagger,
   Hi there. Well, thank you very much to express your experince... you're Turk; nobody can deny that.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 14:19
(KotuMeyil)
Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 04:07
Originally posted by strategos

My question is were are the kurds atr this time? In South Western Anatolia? Why have we not heard anything of them, because now they have big numbers in that area?

For answer look at the Kurdicization of Anatolia in Ethnology Anthropology.....

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 05:47
Kurds were around the Zagros mountains, northwestern Iran at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>