Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Japanese Samurai (pics included)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traditional Japanese Samurai (pics included)
    Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 08:36

I was surfing when I found these pictures. 

130cm samurai

left: 120cm right: 132cm

lots of sammies

140cm Boss (also a top caligrapher?- writing)

Comments?

Grrr..
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 12:10
Nice pictures, were those measurements their heights?
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 13:41

I guess so...they were attached to the pictures, so I decided to add them as well.

Grrr..
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 17:09
well they were called wae-num for a reason....
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 18:08
Wae-nohm is a direct refference to the Wa Kingdom/kingdoms
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 18:26
welll then i knew wrong
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 19:07
BTW Wa was Japan.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2004 at 19:12

yep, Japanese called themselves Wa.  Which the others give it the Kanji that means short.

It wasn't until later that Japanese realized that it is kind of an insult.  So they change the Kanji from to M.

Hey, one of those probably was Kenshin....

And... the last guy looks like a Japanese monk.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 05:28

how come they were so short?

by the way, during the han dynasty, a king of wa japan was given a title of king of "han wa nu guo" (~إ) by han wudi.

no offense but

literally, it means "han's short slave nation".

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 08:42
wait.. doesn't wae also mean short??
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 10:19

[q]how come they were so short?[/q]

Maybe because the immigrants mixed their bloods with the natives that were already there- which were acondroplasian themselves (in fact, there is a general trend that mountain people are short- because of lack of oxygen I presume)

Grrr..
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 10:25
Come on people.  It's a name.  For instance, Xiong Nu, means low born slave, or something to that extent.  Were the Xiong Nu really slaves?  Ethnic names are basically jibberish.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 17:21

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Come on people.  It's a name.  For instance, Xiong Nu, means low born slave, or something to that extent.  Were the Xiong Nu really slaves?  Ethnic names are basically jibberish.

Agreed.  However Japanese were shorter back then.

Non the less, they did call themselves Wo.  Regardless whether Chinese called them that first, or they have always called themselves Wo and Chinese just attached a Kanji to that name. 

Anyway, now a days most Japanese young are taller than other Asian nations.  Because they put stuff in their baby formula.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2004 at 19:09
nah.. they're still shorter than Northern Chinese or South Koreans
[URL=http://imageshack.us]
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 05:10
    believe me...they are still short, i'd know i work with them
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 06:09

I suggest you go to Tokyo subway, walk around, and tell me they are still short.

If you want to single out North China, maybe Japan can also single out their tallest population.

South Coreans I don't know, cause I haven't met that many south Coreans taller than me.  But then again, I've only met South Coreans from the US.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 10:54
Hmm...I"m about 5'11"...BTW when the Japanese Changed the Kanji for Wo...what did it mean after?
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ChineseManchurian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 15:28
Originally posted by hansioux

I suggest you go to Tokyo subway, walk around, and tell me they are still short.

If you want to single out North China, maybe Japan can also single out their tallest population.

South Coreans I don't know, cause I haven't met that many south Coreans taller than me.  But then again, I've only met South Coreans from the US.

BTW, I don't think you know about how tall Nothern Chinese are, and you don't know how much number is that,but most of them are very tall at least like 168cm. Their population is about 700millions. Southern Chinese also is niot that short compare to Japanese, they are almost are same height.(except for Cantonese) You live in Taiwan so you do not know much informations about China.

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:08

To me 168 bm is not tall.  But of course you are talking about Avg.

You live in China so you do not know much informations about Japan.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2004 at 17:34

There's a Japanese street here in where I live, and most Japanese comes up to my chest as their height (I'm 172cm). 

There's also a real Samurai armor display at some Japanese store(Really amazing), and I think the armor fits up a guy around 150cm.

------

Well, other than height, I would like to point out the dressing of these Samurais.  LOok at picture 3.  The hat of each samurai.  It's not directly cone shaped, but gradually slanted towards the shape.  Also, their shoes.  It tells us how the normal samurai clothing was in times of peace.  Must have been really damn in Japan at that time.

Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>