Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vodka is in danger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vodka is in danger
    Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 13:05
The best Vodka in the world is made in Newfoundland with water from icebergs.

(runs rapidly from the thread, closely followed by a mob of enraged Europeans)Big smile
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by DukeC

The best Vodka in the world is made in Newfoundland with water from icebergs.

(runs rapidly from the thread, closely followed by a mob of enraged Europeans)Big smile

This is a scandal. You will burn in hellAngry. There is only one vodka - Polish vodka. I drunk bimber two days ago. It is polish vodka domesticaly made, 60% of alcohol. Before we drunk Swedish vodka - Absolut, which is considered very good in Poland. Bimber was much better. It was made by friend's granfather ( hah this old reciepiesApprove)
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 16:54
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Zubrowka is good indeed but it is heresy to mix it with what ever as it has a very particular taste and texture.

If us Polish drink it with apple juice it means it should be drink with apple juiceApprove says I.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 17:11
I've only drunk Stoly, which I found tasteless, so I don't really know much about Vodka. Schnapps is more to my taste, peach, peppermint, or even rootbeer. 
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 17:41
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Adalwolf

There is nothing better than whiskey mixed with a nice coca-cola.
Heresy!

I so second that. Why do people insist on ruining perfectly good alcohol by pouring in all sorts of nasty fruit-juices and other crappy herbal extracts. Sacrilege!

Originally posted by maharbbal

Finally Chile wine is crap (just look at the bottle it looks awful!).
The only real good wines are French and THAT'S A TRUTH. Who ever says the countrary has never tried a great Bourgogne... At more afordable price you may also get Italian white wines and Spanish red (also the good one are very very very rare). All the rest doesn't even worth being considered, Australian, NZ, Californian, Argentinian or Chilian wines are disgusting: proof is the English like itTongue. It is not wine, it is marketing.

Sorry mate, the days of French wine are over. You will have to face the fact that others can do it just as well...
I prefer Italian red myself, nice and round. Much better than that acid and bitter stuff from the bordeax. I must admit the occasional Bourgonge can be allright, as long as they skip the cabernet sauvignon. That is one grape which should never be used for consumption...ConfusedLOL

Edited by Aelfgifu - 30-Oct-2006 at 17:41

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 17:53
Well, i also prefer red Italian wines more than french. From the French my favourite is Anjou.

Vodka sucks. Its really only spiritus + water and nothing else.

Edited by Mosquito - 30-Oct-2006 at 17:54
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 21:24
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Finally Chile wine is crap (just look at the bottle it looks awful!).
The only real good wines are French and THAT'S A TRUTH. Who ever says the countrary has never tried a great Bourgogne... At more afordable price you may also get Italian white wines and Spanish red (also the good one are very very very rare). All the rest doesn't even worth being considered, Australian, NZ, Californian, Argentinian or Chilian wines are disgusting: proof is the English like itTongue. It is not wine, it is marketing.

How can you say such stupidity!

You very well know French wines don't exist anymore. Your originial parrs where destroyed last century during a catastrophic ephidemic. You replanted them with cheap parrs. LOL

And you know who got the original French parrs which are still producing wine? CHILE!

You French guys are just the name. And your wine industry is in decadence. Expensive and bad. We, the downplayed countries, are going to destroy every single of your famous produce, from cheses to perfumes, to whatever, in the same way we kick the back of Norway in the salmon industry.

France! You just got a name. A commercial brand name. There are not even French people in France anymore. LOL

Pinguin

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 21:30
I have never tried Chilean wine, but I know the country is famous for that product. I have had some very good recommendations about Chilean wine, must try some someday, perhaps on a vacation there......
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 23:17
Originally posted by pinguin

And you know who got the original French parrs which are still producing wine? CHILE![/QUOTE

Didn't they just find a variety of grape in Chile they thought had been lost for over 100 yea

Didn't they just find a variety of grape in Chile they thought had been lost for over 100 years. It resembles a Merlot or something like that.

edit- British Columbia also has some good wines from the Okanogan region but the amount is fairly limited. I think there's only 5000 acres or so under production, so they tend to produce specialty wines like Ice wine.

Edited by DukeC - 30-Oct-2006 at 23:20
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 04:55
Ice wine! I heard about that. Never drunk it though, very expensive...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 13:59
Originally posted by DukeC

Didn't they just find a variety of grape in Chile they thought had been lost for over 100 years. It resembles a Merlot or something like that.

edit- British Columbia also has some good wines from the Okanogan region but the amount is fairly limited. I think there's only 5000 acres or so under production, so they tend to produce specialty wines like Ice wine.

Yes. It was merlot that many growers confussed with cabernet souvignon.

The best wine producing regions in the Americas are in the zones that have mediterranean weather. In North America the best fields are in California (perfect), and in South America they are in central Chile and Argentina, although many other regions can produce good wines as well.

The advantage of Chile and Argentina is that there is lots of territory capable of producing good wines, so the scale is large, therefore the prices are cheaper that what they should be. However, no matter you can find a bottle of good chilean wine for US$5, if you really want to try an outstanding chilean wine they could coast more than US$200 the bottle.

Wines of Chile

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 31-Oct-2006 at 14:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 14:07
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have never tried Chilean wine, but I know the country is famous for that product. I have had some very good recommendations about Chilean wine, must try some someday, perhaps on a vacation there......

Australia also produce fine wines, and California as too. It is just time the rest of the world knows there are good wines "down under" LOL, and that not only France produce something Wink

And, of course, there are wine tours in Chile, with skycars and touristic railroad (the wine train) included. Wine is serious business in Chile, and we are proud of our "reds".

Pinguin

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 14:53
The knowledge is getting through here already, couple of years now. In the supermarket there are wines from all over the world, France does not have more room than the others. Argentina produces good wines as well, and South Africa too.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 19:08

In Argentina and Chile the climate is not really good for making wine. Their wine is simply too dry.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 20:14
What!!!!?????

Chile weather is too dry? Where do you get that! Goodness.

Have you seen the map of Chile? We have plenty of different weathers! From desert to the Antarctic, and from oceanic to upper mountains! I don't know where you can get more variety in a single country. Do you know how much it rains in souther chile? Do you really believe the country is dry? LOL

Chile is not a continental country like the U.S. but you can put France, several times on it! There is no way a country like France, Italy or Spain have more variety of climate and better conditions than Chile or Argentina.

Look, these countries are a paradise for agriculture. And I am not kidding at all.

And we have plenty of different tipes of wines.
Well, if you don't like wine perhaps you could try PISCO, make of moscatel grapes.

Pinguin

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 20:55
Personally I've always wondered why Poles drink that fermented potato stuff, when Polish Absinth is far better quality.

I once met a wine expert and he gave me some sound advice. Don't drink French wine its overpriced. If you take two bottles of wine one French and one Australian, equal in quality, the French one will have a price tag double that of the Australian. So basically whatever amount of money you choose to budget on your wine, if buy French you'll be buying a wine lower quality than any other country because of the inflated prices.

Edited by Paul - 31-Oct-2006 at 20:56
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:38
Originally posted by Paul

I once met a wine expert and he gave me some sound advice. Don't drink French wine its overpriced. If you take two bottles of wine one French and one Australian, equal in quality, the French one will have a price tag double that of the Australian. So basically whatever amount of money you choose to budget on your wine, if buy French you'll be buying a wine lower quality than any other country because of the inflated prices.

Great modern British historian Norman Davies stated in his "Europe: a history" that good wine is made only in those places in Europe where it is made since times of Roman Empire.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 03:41
Originally posted by pinguin

What!!!!?????

Chile weather is too dry? Where do you get that! Goodness.

Nope. I didnt say that wheater is too dry.  All i said is that wine is too dry.

Edited by Mosquito - 01-Nov-2006 at 03:41
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 04:15
Originally posted by Paul

Personally I've always wondered why Poles drink that fermented potato stuff, when Polish Absinth is far better quality. 

Nothing wrong with that; potato spirits has an interesting history too. The women who invented it was that first female elected into the Swedish Academy of Sciences (of that reason) Big smile
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2006 at 11:46
Paul's right French wines are overpriced abroad.

Nonetheless if you pick 100 French wines and 100 wines from whatever other places supposed to be the new fashionable vineyard, you'll have to admit that

1) you have more chances to find real crap in Chile

2) you have more chances to find something excellent in France.

Pircetag is one thing, connaisseurs' opinion another. And among the 100 most expensive wines for 2006 (a good year) 96 are European and 72 are French. One Norwigean (!). The US and Chile have two each and Australia's not even there. (source Le Monde)

What the new vineyard are producing are products people will like the first time they try it. So more sugar, more alchool, easy opening (aaaargh!), and additive fruity savours. God help us! Red wine is an aquired taste, if you like it the first time that means it is alchoolized grape juice. Nothing else. The same for cheese by the way.

The new countries are mass producing and marketing a product that by definition can't be one or the other. A quality vineyard is only a few hundred meters long, how can you mass produce on that. With wine we are ending up at the same point as with other agricultural products: the tomatoes, carots, cheese or meat you buy at Wall Mart, Tesco or Carrefour are safe and easy to eat but they are tasteless. The worst is what has happen with butter, nowadays butter basically has no taste; when you go to a farm and eat their butter you don't like it because it taste like milk...

Wine have resisted longer beacuse it is more expensive and difficult to produce, but here it is: within two years nobody will like real wine because we will lose the habit to drink it and we will prefer the tasteless sugary chile wine.

Cry

Penguin I'm sure you have never even drink a good Cte de Nuit or a Entre-deux-mers. It is a great thing for Chile to be able to develop its agriculture but unfortunatly it is not a good thing for wine lovers.

I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>