Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vodka is in danger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vodka is in danger
    Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 17:18
Evil EU officials want to let alcohols made from fruits to be called Vodka.  Estonia, Sweden, Denmark, Poland and Finland want a rule that vodka is an alcohol made from corn or potatoes. It is belived that Estonia, Sweden, Denmark and Finland gave up their cause in the face of ovewhelming enemies. Only Polish goverment is still ready to defend true vodka against false alcohols made from fruits. Polish Agricultur Ministry said that he will not agree to make vodka from some rubbish ( He was thinking about some strong alcohol made in Southern Europe from rests of grapes ). You can sign here below to protest against this atrocity and thank Polish goverment for its attitude.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 17:30
WTF
Thats bizzare, they were usualy very good at this sort of thing, protecting food labels and such.
Why did they suddenly go all wacky.
You have a source for this?
Arrrgh!!"
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:07
I have two things to mention:
1. Grappa and Rakia are also good. They are not rubbish as you said. Rather tasty and healthy drink. :)
2. Mix your old shoes with sugar and make vodka from them. That is how we did being students in St.Petersburg LOL Absolutely wonderfull drink!
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:23
Count me in! 
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:28
As far as I know all those countries in the Axis of Vodka still object to the EU. And Lithuania as well.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:38
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Axis of Vodka
Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:46
I just saw in TV that there will be some sort of compromise. Alcohol made of beet melasa (or whatever it is, iv never heard before about such drink)also will be called vodka.

They got nice article in wikipedia about vodka:

Edited by Mosquito - 24-Oct-2006 at 18:52
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:52
If the Scandinavians didn't continue to call that fizzy pop 'beer' you have more sympathy for them.

Edited by Paul - 24-Oct-2006 at 18:52
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 18:58

Here it is well described with all th details and nice pics:

Edited by Mosquito - 24-Oct-2006 at 19:12
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 19:10
European Vodka alliance is right. It doesnt matter what raw materials are used to make vodka. From the chemical point of viev it is the same.
And all this noise is about Polish-Swedish-Denish-Finnish-Estonian attempt to monopolise word "Vodka".

But i wont buy vodka which was made from crap anyway.

I will only drink this:

and sometimes this:

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 19:29
Originally posted by Cywr

Thats bizzare, they were usualy very good at this sort of thing, protecting food labels and such.

When Cyprus entered the EU there were problems with fta. According to EU rules only fta from Greece can be called fta, so Cyprus had to call it's fta ftta.

Also, and this is really true, there are EU rules about the length of cucumbers and the curvedness of bananas. (Though in defence of those rules it should be noted that before the EU determined how curved a fruit ought to be in order to be a banana, many countries had their own, differing rules on that)
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 19:47
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Cywr

When Cyprus entered the EU there were problems with fta. According to EU rules only fta from Greece can be called fta, so Cyprus had to call it's fta ftta.

Also, and this is really true, there are EU rules about the length of cucumbers and the curvedness of bananas. (Though in defence of those rules it should be noted that before the EU determined how curved a fruit ought to be in order to be a banana, many countries had their own, differing rules on that)

The Danes seem to get away with calling their cheese Feta.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 20:14

I think the technicality is 'Greek Feta' or something.
But usualy the EU is good at protecting 'traditiona' or 'local' type stuff, so only ham from parma can be parma ham, only newcastle brown ale can be newcastle brown ale and so on.
I would have assumed the same would have applied to vodka (surely its supposed to be made from Grain?).
But then they don't always get it right.
Arrrgh!!"
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 23:13
Originally posted by Mosquito

European Vodka alliance is right. It doesnt matter what raw materials are used to make vodka. From the chemical point of viev it is the same.
And all this noise is about Polish-Swedish-Denish-Finnish-Estonian attempt to monopolise word "Vodka".

I will only drink this:

and sometimes this:

That's not true, wheat vodka can taste different from potatoe and rye vodkas. 

Those look like expensive vodkas, are they high shelf in Poland?

I tend to not drink vodka very much because the cheap vodka for Americans, Aristocrat Vodka, tastes like rubbing alcohol, and the mid- and high shelf brands are too expensive in my opinion for what you get.  I personally prefer rum and gin to vodka, but I would hate to see any brewing or distilling industries standards compromised in the least.
Member of IAEA
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 00:51
Originally posted by Anton

I have two things to mention:
1. Grappa and Rakia are also good. They are not rubbish as you said. Rather tasty and healthy drink. :)
2. Mix your old shoes with sugar and make vodka from them. That is how we did being students in St.Petersburg LOL Absolutely wonderfull drink!

I didn't say it. It was said by Polish Agriculture Ministry. I even have grappa in my house.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 01:02
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Mosquito

I will only drink this:

and sometimes this:

That's not true, wheat vodka can taste different from potatoe and rye vodkas. 

Those look like expensive vodkas, are they high shelf in Poland?

I tend to not drink vodka very much because the cheap vodka for Americans, Aristocrat Vodka, tastes like rubbing alcohol, and the mid- and high shelf brands are too expensive in my opinion for what you get.  I personally prefer rum and gin to vodka, but I would hate to see any brewing or distilling industries standards compromised in the least.

These are not vey expansive vodkas but very popular in Poland. The second one is one of most famous vodkas and it is well know world wide. There is bison grass in it and it should be drink with apple juice. I know it is very popular in France. My co-worker from France is always telling me he will do anything for this vodka.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 03:58
Originally posted by Paul

If the Scandinavians didn't continue to call that fizzy pop 'beer' you have more sympathy for them.
Que? We mostly drink Finnish, Swedish, German, Belgian and Dutch beer here. And the Swedish and Finnish beers are based on German.

Just as the words whisky, cognac, champagne etc etc have been monopolised. I don't see why this shouldn't apply to vodka as well. The noise is about that certain southern countries want to produce liqour and profit on the name vodka, while keeping brand names as those above for themselves.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 25-Oct-2006 at 04:03
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 04:21
Originally posted by mosquito

I just saw in TV that there will be some sort of compromise. Alcohol made of beet melasa (or whatever it is, iv never heard before about such drink)also will be called vodka.

I think beet melasa is a pulp made from crushed sugar beets.

Originally posted by majkes

These are not vey expansive vodkas but very popular in Poland. The second one is one of most famous vodkas and it is well know world wide. There is bison grass in it and it should be drink with apple juice. I know it is very popular in France. My co-worker from France is always telling me he will do anything for this vodka.

I'm sure I've drank that one with the grass in poland... I was 13 so cant remember too well, but I think it was good...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 04:34
Originally posted by Paul

The Danes seem to get away with calling their cheese Feta.

They actually call it "white cheese". They have lost their appeal to the EU court.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 05:00
Not in my local supermarket........ yet.

Unless they've already inserted the word 'style' between the words 'Feta' and 'cheese' so small no-one even notices it.

Edited by Paul - 25-Oct-2006 at 05:03

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>