Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did gauls named Gallipoli?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did gauls named Gallipoli?
    Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 05:34
I red Ancrya and Gallipoli named by Gauls,is it true?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 07:33
Polis is an Greek word so I'd guess Gallipoli has Greek origins.

Though it is also in the French language, so maybe you are correct and they did name it.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 07:35

Gallipoli comes from Greek Kallipoli, where Kallos=beauty and polis = city.

Therefore Kallipoli (or Callipoli) =  Beautiful city

Ankyra, means Anchor in Greek. It is not determined if this is the origin of the name. The city was Frygian but was later developed mainly by Greek colonists from Pontus.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 08:54
there is another gallipoli in apuila (inside of italy's heal) also, agian a greek colony

Edited by Leonidas - 24-Oct-2006 at 08:55
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2006 at 14:09
ankara is ancyria.(Or something like this), I think name comes from hittits.
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 02:58
İn Bilim Teknik,it says Gallipoli and Ancrya named by Gauls
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 04:20
What is "Bilim Tenkik"? 
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 07:59
A science magazine
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 19:37
But with one difference..It is not the Gauls...It is the Celts who named those, who came far away from Middle and West Europe to settle in different parts of Greece and Anatolia...

And Gauls are a part of Celts.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 05:14
First Gauls haven't ever settled Greece,all or stayed in North Thrace or migrated to Galatia of Minor Asia,hardly Phrygia region.
Because i see a lot of mythistory here by some Turks,I ask you to etymologise these words in Celtic.Yiannis above gave you the answer.
 I don't understand why you have problem if many of your cities have Greek names? What did you expect,to have turkish? We speak for ancient cities.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2006 at 06:09

I don't think so- The Gallic invaders of Ionia and the Allatids of Pergamum settled further inland in anatolia and cappadocia. Gallipoli has more Greek connections and under the archionship of Cimon and Pericles it was heavily colinized by Athens 

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by Patrinos

First Gauls haven't ever settled Greece,all or stayed in North Thrace or migrated to Galatia of Minor Asia,hardly Phrygia region.
Because i see a lot of mythistory here by some Turks,I ask you to etymologise these words in Celtic.Yiannis above gave you the answer.
 I don't understand why you have problem if many of your cities have Greek names? What did you expect,to have turkish? We speak for ancient cities.

Yes, Gauls haven't settled...The Celts were just "partially" settled in a small area AFAIK...But I am not sure...

And the rest of the post has no relation with the subject line except "Let's put some words against those Turks" mentality I believe, as there were no "mythhistory" among there, but anyways, the cities in Turkey mostly take their names from the very ancient origins, staying similar to what they were named in very ancient times...Many cities which were founded later, has names from different languages, including Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Armenian etc., but most of them were also using the name of the region given in Hittite, Urartu, Phrygian, Celtic etc. eras...But all was changed more or less in some way in terms of folks using and changing them over and over.

Edited by Kapikulu - 08-Nov-2006 at 15:14
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 12:46
I do recall there being a distinct invasion of Pergamum by some Gauls from Cappadocia around the Alatid period. I'm not sure though- i'll do some more research.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:29
Gaul - Gaulipolli - Gallipoli

I can see why you think that
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:37
İn Turkish: Gaul=Galat.Turkmens mixed with them at a crusade(first battled,after celebrated the spring togerher.They both schamanists)
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 14:32
Live your myth

http://www.answers.com/topic/gallipoli

and here is Galatia of Minor Asia:

Look at the Galatian colonies/placenames and places of their battles.

Edited by Patrinos - 11-Nov-2006 at 17:00
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 16:02
Myth?What do you mean by "myth" over here? As I can't see any...
Gallipoli may be named by Greeks but there is nobody here stating something other than thoughts..Only thoughts.

If you refer to this post of mine:
"But with one difference..It is not the Gauls...It is the Celts who named those, who came far away from Middle and West Europe to settle in different parts of Greece and Anatolia... "

It is made to state that that Gauls hadn't settled in Anatolia, it is the Celts, not Gauls pursuing to the claim that Gallipoli was named by Gauls...

Otherwise, nobody has problems with anything and as stated before, today's Turkish cities derive their name from many different origins.

And by the way,Galatia and Bithynia were the places where Celtic settlement was most intensively happened.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2006 at 16:21
The myth to which I refered was the myth of the non-greekness of some cities,monuments etc in Turkey.
Do you think that if we proove to you that Ancyra is a greek place name we will make war to take it? Thank God we are in 21st century now and the previous century and its "ways" seems realy too far.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 08:57
It was formerly known as Angora. The Hittites gave it the name Ankuwash, the Galatians and Romans called it Ancyra, and in the classical, Hellenistic, and Byzantine periods it was known as Ἄγκυρα nkyra. Ankara also serves as the capital of the Province of Ankara.

The region's vibrant history can be traced back to the Bronze Age Hatti civilization, which was succeeded in the 2nd millennium BC by the Hittites, in the 10th century BC by the Phrygians, then by the Lydians and Persians.

Historically viewed, the city was expanded and took the form of a known city mainly by the Greeks of Pontos who came there and developed the city as a trading center for commerce of goods between the Black Sea ports, Crimea, Armenia, Georgia on the north; Assyria, Cyprus, and Lebanon to the south and Persia to the east. By that period the city took also its name "γκυρα"-"ngyra" that it is used until today by the Turks. It is said that a part of population came from "Γόρδιον"-"Grdio(n)" after an earthquake which took place in antiquity.

If this information is true, the Hittite "Ankuwash" recalls Ancyra. I don't know if their meanings are similar or not but it is for sure that the city beared a similar name way before the Greeks came to the area.

As for Gelibolu, Greek "Kallipolis" is a reasonable explanation.
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 08:58
Patrinos
The myth to which I refered was the myth of the non-greekness of some cities,monuments etc in Turkey.

A real myth is the whole notion that Greeks founded every city and built every monument across Anatolia prior to the Turks.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>