Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Catalan Origins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catalan Origins
    Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 12:49
I heard that Catalan origins are Turkic and they say the same thing.

İf it isn't true,ı want to know their origins =)?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 13:18
Another ingenius question from our member with over seventy posts.

Let's see about your research skills. Ask your Catalan friends over for a Wiki party. You could all look up some interesting facts about things like 'inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula' to the 'sturdiest fork on the table'.

About your question, I say it isn't true. So there!
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 18:41
Originally posted by Seko

Another ingenius question from our member with over seventy posts.

Let's see about your research skills. Ask your Catalan friends over for a Wiki party. You could all look up some interesting facts about things like 'inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula' to the 'sturdiest fork on the table'.

About your question, I say it isn't true. So there!

Though some people may say that your tone here is inappropriate, I agree. This thread is ridiculous. It would be like making a topic about the Armenians and asking "are they of Celtic origin. Is this true? If not, what are their origins?"

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 21:08
Or, appropriate considering the source. I tend to lack certain social pleasantries when I smell a troll (and it's not you, by the way).
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 04:54
Okay, let's try to take this serious.
First of all, Catalan is a language, developed from Vulgar Latin, as spoken by the inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula during and after the Roman occupation. As such it is a branch of IE languages.
The people that came to speak and are still speaking Catalan are ethnically not different from any other people on the Iberian peninsula, which are mixture of indigenous Iberian people with Celts, Romans, Germanics and other minor influences.They fact there is a Catalan language, spoken by Catalans in the Catalan regions of Spain and beyond, has political and not ethnical causes.

Not a Turkic people in sight anywhere!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 06:37
Catalan is also spoken in Southern France...

Catalan's main difference with Castellianos is that they have been only for a very short period under muslim rule and from then they had a different state before being integrated first in the Kingdom of Aragon and then in Spain.
I am a free donkey!
Barbarroja View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 07:11
Catalan regions?? What's that??
I'm sorry but my English is not very good. I'm from Vila-real (Valencia, Spain)
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by Komnenos

Okay, let's try to take this serious.
First of all, Catalan is a language, developed from Vulgar Latin, as spoken by the inhabitants of the Iberian peninsula during and after the Roman occupation. As such it is a branch of IE languages.
The people that came to speak and are still speaking Catalan are ethnically not different from any other people on the Iberian peninsula, which are mixture of indigenous Iberian people with Celts, Romans, Germanics and other minor influences.They fact there is a Catalan language, spoken by Catalans in the Catalan regions of Spain and beyond, has political and not ethnical causes.

Not a Turkic people in sight anywhere!

Thank you much.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 06:09
I have to add that Catalan is spoken not only by Catalans, also by Valencians, Balears, Andorra and also in Alguer (Sardinia) and in the eastern border of Aragon (Franja de Ponent), but they aren't Catalans. Roussillon was a Catalan territory many years untill their conquest by France.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2006 at 07:21
Balears speak Catalan? Fresh news. The last time I've been there they were speaking a weird language full of z and x.
I am a free donkey!
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Barbarroja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 07:14
They speak a dialect of Catalan, but the language is Catalan, yes.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2012 at 17:11
One of the theories to the name of Catalonia is that it means land of the Goths and Alans. If this has anything to do with the people living there now, I'm not sure. Still I wonder about their use of the dragon symbol, something the Alans used.Smile
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2012 at 19:13
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2013 at 14:37
I haven't heard it before, but I can't say samething about people in Basque. There are some similarities with Turkish and Basque language
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
 Post Reply Post Reply