Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connection of Vikings and Turks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connection of Vikings and Turks
    Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 16:16
The Khazars were defeated by the Vikings, so no, they were by no means their overlords. I don't remember the details though, this is a rather obscure chapter of Viking history.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:56
Amidst the prevalence of Turko historical geneology these days, I have been leery of getting involved in such topics as I find most of them filled with hogwash.

There does come a time when a topic starts out as fanciful naivity and leaves little to the imagination but comic relief. I thought this thread would be one of those topics. Since some of you have sincerely added your knowledge on this subject I might as well also. I still believe how one structures a thread is just as important as how one participates in it.

Anyway, here is a link on some Rus and Khazar history.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11261&PN=1

Towards the end of the linked thread I seemed to have eaten crow too. Oh, how teaching and learning can be such a painful process!   

Edited by Seko - 14-Oct-2006 at 14:57
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 14:42
Thanks everybody.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 11:45
Originally posted by Maharbbal

The Viking were a proto-turkic tribe. Wink
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

a very  usufull link as about the Vikings

Edited by akritas - 14-Oct-2006 at 11:47
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 11:31
Aelfgifu the Khazar's were prolific traders, they were Jewish afterallLOL also the "Radhanites" operated from the Khazar state as a base.

Map of Eurasia showing the trade network of the Radhanites, c. 870 CE, as reported in the account of ibn Khordadbeh in the Book of Roads and Kingdoms.

Also Khazars paid no taxes to the central government. Revenue came from a 10% levy on goods transiting through the region, and from tribute paid by subject nations.

Judiciary

Muslim sources report that the Khazar supreme court consisted of two Jews, two Christians, two Muslims, and a "heathen" (whether this is a Turkic shaman or a priest of Slavic or Norse religion is unclear), and a citizen had the right to be judged according to the laws of his religion. Some have argued that this configuration is unlikely, as a Beit Din, or rabbinical court, requires three members. It is therefore possible that as practitioners of the state religion, the Jews had three judges on the Supreme Court rather than two, and that the Muslim sources were attempting to downplay their influence. A Muslim or Christian court can function with only one or two judges.

The Khazar state was one of the most powerfull, advanced and tolerant State of their age but also one of the least mentioned and known-about one.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 10:19
I've been thinking that though not exactly Viking anylonger, many Normands from Sicily have been in the first crusade (Tancrede of Lecce and Bohemond of Taranto) so most defently they have been fighting Turks.
I am a free donkey!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by Bulldog

Did Vikings go into Central Asia?

Along the Volga River to Caspian sea and the iranian coast.

Edited by Ikki - 14-Oct-2006 at 10:00
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:56

I thought tah when the Vikings (or the Rus as they were called) were in Russia, they were the masters of the tradingroutes. Did the Turk Khazars rule the land around the tradingroutes? Or were they literally overlords over the Rus?

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:47
Well if there was a Viking population in Kiev there may have been a connection because Turkic Khazars controlled the area.

The great capital city of modern Ukraine, Kiev, was founded by Khazars or Hungarians. Kiev is a Turkic place name (Ki = riverbank + ev = settlement). A community of Jewish Khazars lived in Kiev. Other towns of the Khazars, many of which also had important Jewish communities, included Kerch (Bospor), Feodosia, Tamatarkha (Tmutorokan), Chufut-Kale, Sudak, and Sarkel. The local governor of Samandar was Jewish, and it may be assumed that many of the governors of these other localities were also Jewish. A major brick fortress was built in 834 in Sarkel, along the Don River. It was a cooperative Byzantine-Khazar venture, and Petronas Kamateros, a Greek, served as chief engineer during the construction.

Did Vikings go into Central Asia?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 09:37
In Manzikert, Byzantines had the Varangian guards.Maybe they have battled there.

And no other times after this.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:03
Nice map btw the only problem is that there was so to speak to Turks in Anatolia in the mid-10th (or only mercenaries).
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2006 at 08:02
The Viking were a proto-turkic tribe. Wink
I am a free donkey!
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 18:47
as can be seen they did. look at the tading activity in the black sea at river ports.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 15:26
Uhhh yeah... Try doing some reading on the Vikings in Russia and their links with the Khazar Turks.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 13:06
Were there an connections between Vikings and Turks?Ever battled,ever mixed,ever traded?

Edited by Turk Nomad - 13-Oct-2006 at 13:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12