Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 45>
Author
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 11:18
The main point that emerges to me is that Cyrus has no clear idea of what he means by 'Saxon', as is obvious from the fact he thinks 'bird', 'pig' and 'dog' are 'Saxon' words. Not only are there different varieties of historical 'Saxon' languages/dialects, even in the modern world you have upper Saxon and lower Saxon, varieties of High and Low German respectively.

Wikipedia says in Finnish and Estonian variants of 'Saxony' and ''Saxon' are used to refer to the whole of Germany and the German people, which would presumably make this difficult to discuss in Finnish and Estonian Smile.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 12:03
Indeed. The old Swedish word for Germany was also Saxland.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 12:10
The main point for me is, that we speak about Saxon culture, Saxon language and the Saxon nation. Is I pointed out. There was no natio like the Saxons. It's like speaking about the Viking language. I am sure Styrbjrn can agree, that there wasn't a Viking language at all. Sure, the languages of the Viking were very similar but there wasn't one single language. The Saxon that appear in the middle of the 4th century were pirates, they weren't a single tribe. Like the Vikings they belonged to a unknown number of north German, Danish and perhaps skandinavian tribes or groups. All these tribes spoke very close related languages but not a saxon language. The two Saxon groups that we know today are those of the Anglosaxons in England, where the name of the Angli became more popular than those of the Saxons and on the continent, the so called Old-Saxons. Their nationbuilding began with the frankish Invasion under Charlemagne. There was no Saxon nation before that war.

Gcle2003 mentioned the upper and lower Saxons. That shows a very interesting point. Everybody would expect, that both are parts of one nation. That completely wrong. With the breakdown of the power of duke Henry the Lion, Saxon duchy was devided into some parts. Only the eastern part was called Saxon after this. From there the name moved eastwards. But not because they conquered this areas. It was the opposite. The people of Saxon toda, Uppersaxon or the Freestate/Republic of Saxon have ethnical nothing to do with the Old Saxons. The descendants of those Oldsaxons got back their name after WWII, when the land Lower Saxony was installed. The Western parts of the Saxon duchy from the Medieval time, Westfalia is united with the Rhineland.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by beorna

The main point for me is, that we speak about Saxon culture, Saxon language and the Saxon nation. Is I pointed out. There was no natio like the Saxons. It's like speaking about the Viking language. I am sure Styrbjrn can agree, that there wasn't a Viking language at all. Sure, the languages of the Viking were very similar but there wasn't one single language. The Saxon that appear in the middle of the 4th century were pirates, they weren't a single tribe. Like the Vikings they belonged to a unknown number of north German, Danish and perhaps skandinavian tribes or groups. All these tribes spoke very close related languages but not a saxon language. The two Saxon groups that we know today are those of the Anglosaxons in England, where the name of the Angli became more popular than those of the Saxons and on the continent, the so called Old-Saxons. Their nationbuilding began with the frankish Invasion under Charlemagne. There was no Saxon nation before that war.

Gcle2003 mentioned the upper and lower Saxons.
Actually I mentioned the upper and lower Saxon languages (dialects). Cyrus is concentrating here on the relationship between the languages, irrespective of the peoples.  I agree - in fact it's what I said - there are a number of 'Saxon' languages, not just one.

Similarly there has never been one 'Saxon nation', but it's not correct to say there was no Saxon nation before Charlemagne: it's more accurate to say there were several, not least in Britain.

It does rather depend on what one means by 'nation', not a terribly clear concept at the best of times.

That shows a very interesting point. Everybody would expect, that both are parts of one nation. That completely wrong. With the breakdown of the power of duke Henry the Lion, Saxon duchy was devided into some parts. Only the eastern part was called Saxon after this. From there the name moved eastwards. But not because they conquered this areas. It was the opposite. The people of Saxon toda, Uppersaxon or the Freestate/Republic of Saxon have ethnical nothing to do with the Old Saxons. The descendants of those Oldsaxons got back their name after WWII, when the land Lower Saxony was installed. The Western parts of the Saxon duchy from the Medieval time, Westfalia is united with the Rhineland.

All true. It's interesting to note however that the shift of 'Saxon' as an appelation from Lower Saxony to Upper Saxony took place in a relatively short time frame of 3-400 years. How much more shifting may have gone on in the millenium before that, especially in the preliterate period?
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 14:09
Originally posted by King John

I'm going to provide a few texts and you tell me how closely they are related.

Text 1

Nivr het konvngr i Sviio; hann atti tv sono oc eina dottvr, hon het Ba/dvildr. Bror vro rr synir Finnakonvngs; ht einn sl*gfir, annarr Egill, rii Volvndr; eir scrio oc veiddo dr. eir qvomo i Vlfdali oc gero ser ar hvs; ar er vatn, er heitir Vlfsir. Snemma of morgin fvndo eir a vazstrondo konor rir, oc spvnno ln; ar vro hia eim alptarhamir eirra; at vro valkyrior. ar vro tver dotr La/vss konvngs, Hlagvr svanhvit oc Hervor alvitr, enn riia var Avlrvn Kiars dottir af Vallande. eir ha/fdo er heim til scala me ser. Fecc Egill Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir Svanhvitrar, enn Va/lvndr Alvitrar. a/ bioggo siau vetr; a flvgo er at vitia viga, oc qvomo eigi aptr. a screi Egill at leita Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir leitai Svanhvitrar, enn Volvndr sat i Vlfda/lom. Hann var hagastr mar sva at menn viti i fornom sa/gom. Nivr konvngr let hann ha/ndom taca, sva sem her er vm qveit.

Text 2

mit stridu. uui so stillo sculun freson is ferahes. that thit folc iudeonoan thesun uuihdagun. uuroht ni afhebbien. || Tho geng imu thar iudas ford iungaro kristes. en thero tuelibio that that adali sat. iu- deono gumscepi. quad that he is im godan rad seggian mahti. huat uuilliad gi mi sellien her quad he. medmo te medu. ef ik iu thene man gibu. ano uuig endi ano uuroht. Tho uuard thes uuerodes
hugi thero liudio an lustun. ef thu uuili gilestien so quadun sie thin uuord giuuaron. than thu giuuald habes. huat thu at thesaru thiodu thiggean uuillies. godaro medmo. Tho gihet imu that
gumscepi thar an is selbes dom silubarscatto. thritig atsamne. endi he te theru thiodu gisprak derebeun uuordun. that he gabi is drohtin uuid thiu. Uuende ina tho fan themu uuerode. uuas im uured hugi
talode im so treulos. huan er uurdi imu thiu tid kuman. that he ina mahti faruuisien. uuredaro thiodo. fiundo folke.

Text 3

Her com lfred, se unsceiga eling, elrdes
sunu cinges, hider inn and wolde to his meder, e on Win-
cestre st, ac hit him ne geafode Godwine eorl, ne ec ore
men e mycel mihton wealdan, foran hit hleorode a

swie toward Haraldes, eh hit unriht wre.
Ac Godwine hine a gelette        and hine on hft sette,
and his geferan he todraf,        and sume mislice ofsloh;
sume hi man wi feo sealde,        sume hreowlice acwealde,
sume hi man bende,        sume hi man blende,

Text 4
1 baga : vazraka : Auramazd : hya : im
2 m : bumm : ad : hya : avam : asm
3 nam : ad : hya : martiyam : ad : h
4 ya : shiytim : ad : martiyahy
5 : hya : Drayavaum : xshyathiyam : ak
6 unaush : aivam : parvnm : xshyath
7 iyam : aivam : parvnm : framt
8 ram : adam : Drayavaush : xshyathiya : va
9 zraka : xshyathiya : xshyathiynm
10 : xshyathiya : dahynm : vispazan
11 nm : xshyathiya : ahyy : bmi

I ask that the moderators bear with me as I am not going to provide sources for these four texts until Cyrus tells me which one doesn't fit. Then I will provide sources. I will not provide translations since they are often available at the sites I took these texts from.

So Cyrus, which of these text is most unlike the other? Which is the least similar? Which one doesn't seem to fit?

Ok, I think the first text is in the Old Norse language, because I found the word "Svithjod" among the first words of this text which is the name of "Scythia" in the Old norse language.

As you read here, The mythology of a culture originated as a means of recording what that culture thought to be the real and actual facts about the origin and existence of the cosmos around them.

What is the fullest and most detailed source for Germanic mythology?

Prose Edda

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9031961/Edda : body of ancient Icelandic literature contained in two 13th-century books commonly distinguished as the Prose, or Younger, Edda and the Poetic, or Elder, Edda. It is the fullest and most detailed source for modern knowledge of Germanic mythology.

Svithjod the Great, or the Cold, is the ancient Sarmatia and Scythia Magna, and formed the great part of the present European Russia. In the mythological sagas it is also called Godheim; that is, the home of Odin and the other gods. Svithjod the Less is Sweden proper, and is called Mannheim; that is, the home of the kings, the descendants of the gods.

Does it show anything except the strong influence of Scythian/Saxon culture on the Germanic culture?

As Strabo, Pliny and other ancient historians and geographers say, Saxon was what Scythians called themselves.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 28-Apr-2008 at 14:25
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 14:18
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Is he going after the Old Saxon language, or Anglo-Saxon language, Old English?

Originally 'scir' in Anglo-Saxon meant an official: using the word to mean what he was in charge of came later (as 'county' derived from 'count'). Old High German 'scira' had the same meaning. The later, territorial, meaning is related to the ending of, e.g., the German 'Grafschaft' and the Swedish 'grevskap' meaning 'earldom' literally, but a count is the same as an earl.
From what I understand, a Scir was a adminstration incharge of a "Hundred", which were families on the land. Though the meaning of a Hundred is still not very clear to me.
A hundred was a territory big enough to support a hundred men. The hundred court was an essential element of law enforcement in medieval times (pre- and post-Conquest).

The person incharge of the Scir was the Ealdorman, and he would have a Scirgerfa(later Sheriff) who would hold the courts and such.
The head man of a hundred was called an alderman. (A shire, or a town, had more than one.)
Later on, after Norman rule, a few scirs(I believe Scir was Normanized to Shire at this point) were grouped together and a Earl was placed incharge of them.
It wasn't that consistent. Literally a 'county' should have a 'count' (='earl') in charge of it, but some were dukedoms, and in many if not most cases the shire structure wasn't part of the feudal one - for instance the Earl of Southampton did not hold the county of Southampton (aka Hampshire).
I can't find Scir or Shire in Old Saxon at all. Maybe it's in Old Frisian? I think Old English came off of that language.
Yes. The Frisians were a minority among the immigrants, but they seem to have had an undue influence on the language. Maybe they just talked a lot Big%20smile
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Ok, I think the first text is in the Old Norse language, because I found the word "Svithjod" among the first words of this text which is the name of "Scythia" in the Old norse language.

Completely wrong. Svithiod literally means "People/Nation of the Swedes" and is the modern Icelandic name for Sweden (Old English Sweotheod=Svithiod in Old Norse).  The name Greater Sweden was applied  to the Russian lands  after the expansion of Scandinavian settlements and establishment of Rus principalities there. You quoted the translator's notes, describing what the placenames mean, ie what was former known as Scythia and Sarmatia to the Greeks is what the Norse called Greater Sweden! 

As Strabo, Pliny and other ancient historians and geographers say, Saxon was what Scythians called themselves.

I'm fairly certain both me and others have shown you this to be wrong already. Why are you continuing to write incorrect things?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 17:27

Originally posted by King John

I'm going to provide a few texts and you tell me how closely they are related.
Text 1 Nivr het konvngr i Sviio; hann atti tv sono oc eina dottvr, hon het Ba/dvildr. Bror vro rr synir Finnakonvngs; ht einn sl*gfir, annarr Egill, rii Volvndr; eir scrio oc veiddo dr. eir qvomo i Vlfdali oc gero ser ar hvs; ar er vatn, er heitir Vlfsir. Snemma of morgin fvndo eir a vazstrondo konor rir, oc spvnno ln; ar vro hia eim alptarhamir eirra; at vro valkyrior. ar vro tver dotr La/vss konvngs, Hlagvr svanhvit oc Hervor alvitr, enn riia var Avlrvn Kiars dottir af Vallande. eir ha/fdo er heim til scala me ser. Fecc Egill Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir Svanhvitrar, enn Va/lvndr Alvitrar. a/ bioggo siau vetr; a flvgo er at vitia viga, oc qvomo eigi aptr. a screi Egill at leita Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir leitai Svanhvitrar, enn Volvndr sat i Vlfda/lom. Hann var hagastr mar sva at menn viti i fornom sa/gom. Nivr konvngr let hann ha/ndom taca, sva sem her er vm qveit.

Text 2 mit stridu. uui so stillo sculun freson is ferahes. that thit folc iudeonoan thesun uuihdagun. uuroht ni afhebbien. || Tho geng imu thar iudas ford iungaro kristes. en thero tuelibio that that adali sat. iu- deono gumscepi. quad that he is im godan rad seggian mahti. huat uuilliad gi mi sellien her quad he. medmo te medu. ef ik iu thene man gibu. ano uuig endi ano uuroht. Tho uuard thes uuerodes hugi thero liudio an lustun. ef thu uuili gilestien so quadun sie thin uuord giuuaron. than thu giuuald habes. huat thu at thesaru thiodu thiggean uuillies. godaro medmo. Tho gihet imu that gumscepi thar an is selbes dom silubarscatto. thritig atsamne. endi he te theru thiodu gisprak derebeun uuordun. that he gabi is drohtin uuid thiu. Uuende ina tho fan themu uuerode. uuas im uured hugi talode im so treulos. huan er uurdi imu thiu tid kuman. that he ina mahti faruuisien. uuredaro thiodo. fiundo folke.

Text 3 Her com lfred, se unsceiga eling, elrdes sunu cinges, hider inn and wolde to his meder, e on Win- cestre st, ac hit him ne geafode Godwine eorl, ne ec ore men e mycel mihton wealdan, foran hit hleorode a swie toward Haraldes, eh hit unriht wre. Ac Godwine hine a gelette        and hine on hft sette, and his geferan he todraf,        and sume mislice ofsloh; sume hi man wi feo sealde,        sume hreowlice acwealde, sume hi man bende,        sume hi man blende,

Text 4 1 baga : vazraka : Auramazd : hya : im
2 m : bumm : ad : hya : avam : asm
3 nam : ad : hya : martiyam : ad : h
4 ya : shiytim : ad : martiyahy
5 : hya : Drayavaum : xshyathiyam : ak
6 unaush : aivam : parvnm : xshyath
7 iyam : aivam : parvnm : framt
8 ram : adam : Drayavaush : xshyathiya : va
9 zraka : xshyathiya : xshyathiynm
10 : xshyathiya : dahynm : vispazan
11 nm : xshyathiya : ahyy : bmi

I ask that the moderators bear with me as I am not going to provide sources for these four texts until Cyrus tells me which one doesn't fit. Then I will provide sources. I will not provide translations since they are often available at the sites I took these texts from. So Cyrus, which of these text is most unlike the other? Which is the least similar? Which one doesn't seem to fit?

As you read here, The mythology of a culture originated as a means of recording what that culture thought to be the real and actual facts about the origin and existence of the cosmos around them.

What is the fullest and most detailed source for Germanic mythology?

Prose Edda

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9031961/Edda : body of ancient Icelandic literature contained in two 13th-century books commonly distinguished as the Prose, or Younger, Edda and the Poetic, or Elder, Edda. It is the fullest and most detailed source for modern knowledge of Germanic mythology.

Svithjod the Great, or the Cold, is the ancient Sarmatia and Scythia Magna, and formed the great part of the present European Russia. In the mythological sagas it is also called Godheim; that is, the home of Odin and the other gods. Svithjod the Less is Sweden proper, and is called Mannheim; that is, the home of the kings, the descendants of the gods.

Does it show anything except the strong influence of Scythian/Saxon culture on the Germanic culture?

ALthough you did get the first text right, it is the opening paragraph before the poetic part of Vlundarqkia.

1. Svij is actually the name for Sweden in Old Norse. It has nothing to do with Scythians. It appears in Cleasby/Vifgusson, one of the best Old Norse-English dictionaries, in this form Svij as a word meaning Swede. For the etymology of the word it said that the word came from two words Sviar and j, Svar means Swede ans j means a people, a nation. Cleasby-Vigfusson do acknowledge that this term (Svj) was used to discuss the Scythians. They say this was the old name for the East of Europe. However when you look at the etymology of the word you will see it clearly means the people of Sweden. Text 1 says:

"Niur is called king in Sweden; he had two sons and a daughter, she is called Bovildr. There were three brothers, sons of the FInnish king; one called sl*gfir, another Egill, the third Volundr; they walk on snow shoes and hunt animals. The came into Wolfdale and built for themselves a house there; there is a lake , which is called Wolf's lake. Early in the morning they found on the lake shore three women, and they were spinning linen. There were near them their skin and plumage of a swan. Those were valkyries. They were two daughters of king Hlvr, Hlagur swanwhite and Hervor all-wise; in the third was ̈lrun, daughter of Kir of Valland. They took them home to the halls with themselves. Egill took lrun, and sl*gfir Swanwhite, and Volund All-wise. They resided there for 7 winters. Then they flew to visit battles and came not back. Then glided Egill to look for lrun. And sl*gfir searched for Swanwhit. And VOlund sat in Wolddale. He was the most skillful man, such as men know of, in ancient stories. King Niur allowed him to be taken by hands, as here is told." (My translation)

2. Are you going to actually answer my question? I will pose it again in case you forgot it. Which of the above texts is most unlike the others? Which text doesn't seem to fit with the others?

Could you please provide a source for that?

Edited by King John - 28-Apr-2008 at 17:59
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 17:42
Here is a map of where Scythia is/was:

Note the proximity to Asia Minor, areas around Afghanistan, and the Lower Slavic countries.

Now compare the map of Scythia to the map of Europe.

Notice were Sweden is, it is not close at all to the area occupied by the Scythians. The Scythian area goes through South Russia, the southern former Soviet Republics, Ukraine.

Compare this with a map of Germania during the Roman Empire:

Notice the difference between Sarmatia and where the Saxons were. How could the Saxons be Scythians or even speak a Scythian language that isolated from Scythia in the heart of Greater Germania?
Chookie View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Chookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 22:56
I'm afraid that you are all arguing from defective positions, all the languages so far mentioned in this thread are, for the most part, derived from Sanskritic.

This might help:- http://www.merriam-webster.com/table/dict/indoeuro.htm
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 23:07

There is allways a problem with names. Tacitus said, that once ago one single tribe wore the name Germani and from those it went on all the others. The original Germani never conquered Germania nor can we be sure that the later Germanics shared the same ethnic group as the Germani did and nevertheless their names stands for all these nations. The Greeks were called Danaeans, Hellenes and now Greeks. Especially the two, Hellenes and Greeks, were small countries and never conquered Greece. Italy was once ago a little region in the South, today Italy means the whole penninsula. Saxon meant nothing else but pirates. We don't know what the correct translation is, knife users, knife brothers or what ever. It is the same with the Hunns and the Scythians or others. It was a term for a special group of people and not for one single nation. That's why we read about Chaibones, which is Aviones, about Saxones Eutii (Jutes), about Saxon Kouadoi, which means Kobandoi, as I believe, there were Ymbre, Ambrones, yes even Odoaker was a Saxon, but he occures in other sources as Thuringian and as a Skire. Britannia is said to be conquered by Saxones, Angles and Jutes. But there were also Frisians and Franks, in the Rhine delta there lived Herulians, Warnians. They all took part in the great Saxon conquer. The invaders in Britain are mentioned as Saxons but as Anglii as well. Sometimes they were called Anglosaxon. So if there were Sakas, what group was it? All Saxon groups were well known from the Taciteian times, no Sakas! And it's the same on the continent. There is no archaeological group known in the area that we can connect with saxones that can be linked with Sakas, not 600 BC, not 100 BC and not 300AD. Sure, for some centuries we have less notice of those areas, but this is the time between 100 to 500 AD. When there is something known, than there are Franks, Thuringians - no Sakas. The Franks called those people Saxons who weren't Thuringians. That doesn't mean they were one nation, tribe, gens. So as a result of the Frankish Conquer those gentes became a Saxon tribe.

So we have neither in Britain nor in Germany a Saxon tribe. So how can Sakas be Saxon or Saxon be Sakas if Saxons weren't  a tribe? And as King John wanted to show, why should those nations at the sea be Sakas, those east of them and quite closer to the steppe not? Or are all Germans Sakas?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 23:21
Originally posted by Chookie

I'm afraid that you are all arguing from defective positions, all the languages so far mentioned in this thread are, for the most part, derived from Sanskritic. This might help:- http://www.merriam-webster.com/table/dict/indoeuro.htm

Would you care to elaborate how these languages are all derived from Sanskritic? From the table that you provided I see these languages (Old Norse, Old Saxon, Old English/Anglo-Saxon) developing from the same Proto-German language, whereas Old Persian I see developing out of a Proto-Iranian language. While all these languages developed from a common ancestor, a proto-Indo-European language, I don't see how they all derived from Sanskritic.

Here is the table Chookie provided
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 18:25

Completely wrong. Svithiod literally means "People/Nation of the Swedes" and is the modern Icelandic name for Sweden (Old English Sweotheod=Svithiod in Old Norse).  The name Greater Sweden was applied  to the Russian lands after the expansion of Scandinavian settlements and establishment of Rus principalities there. You quoted the translator's notes, describing what the placenames mean, ie what was former known as Scythia and Sarmatia to the Greeks is what the Norse called Greater Sweden!

I think you want to say Russia was called Svithjod the Great just because it was larger than Sweden, yes? Wink It is very obvious that according to the Norse mythology, Scandinavians believed that in the very old times, they migrated from Scythia the Great, the home of the Norse gods, to Scythia the Less (Sweden), the home of the descendants of the gods. As you know in the Germainc languages, it was very possible that "k" sound was changed to "v", for example we see "Quelle" in the German language is changed to "Well" in English, so "Scyth" could be also changed to "Svith".

I'm fairly certain both me and others have shown you this to be wrong already. Why are you continuing to write incorrect things?

Why do you call it incorrect? Don't they say that "Scythians named lands after themselves, Saksony.", Geography of Strabo, Book XI, Chapter VIII, 4, The Natural History, Pliny the Elder, Book Vi, Chapter XI?

This is one of the most accurate historical facts which is confirmed by modern Geographical names:

Saksony, Russia: http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/russia/map/m4197466/saksony.html
Sakson, Russia: http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/russia/map/m4197465/sakson.html
Saksino, Russia: http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/russia/map/m4197463/saksino.html
Saksan, Russia: http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/russia/map/p9176924/saksan.html

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 19:08
Yes, Swedes called Russia "Great Sweden." The same as Greeks called southern Italy and Sicily "Great Greece."

Russia was one of the important destination of Viking colonisation. Even name Russia itself is of Viking origin and Russia was rules by Swedish/Viking dynasty most of its history. Also most of the early kings of Rus are characters of Scandinavian literature as well.

Apparently early Riuriks were considered "our own" by Scandinavians especially Swedes.

And all these has nothing to do with Skythians.
Σαυρομάτης
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 19:29
There's a French Street in Southampton. Does that mean I'm French? (I confess I used to smoke Gauloise cigarettes.)

There's an English Garden in Munich. Does that mean Bavarians are English?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 20:07
Cyrus your argument seems to have crumbled. It seems you are just clinging at some evidence that you think supports your case. In fact the ties between the evidence and your case are tenuous at best. Just because a name, which has similarities to an ethnicity, appears in a certain area doesn't meant that a group lived there. Please go back and look at the map I provided in my earlier post and answer the questions that I posted with the map. You've come into this discussion with your mind already made up and therefore are not taking in the other side. Why is it that the Saxons who lived right by Denmark, which is very far from the Scythian land, have to be Scythians.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 20:27

Completely wrong. Svithiod literally means "People/Nation of the Swedes" and is the modern Icelandic name for Sweden (Old English Sweotheod=Svithiod in Old Norse).  The name Greater Sweden was applied  to the Russian lands after the expansion of Scandinavian settlements and establishment of Rus principalities there. You quoted the translator's notes, describing what the placenames mean, ie what was former known as Scythia and Sarmatia to the Greeks is what the Norse called Greater Sweden!

I think you want to say Russia was called Svithjod the Great just because it was larger than Sweden, yes? Wink

Did you not read what I said or ignored it? If my answer wasn't clear, see Sarmat's answer. Smile

It is very obvious that according to the Norse mythology, Scandinavians believed that in the very old times, they migrated from Scythia the Great, the home of the Norse gods, to Scythia the Less (Sweden), the home of the descendants of the gods.

You are changing names. There is no "Scythia the Less or the Great". Furthermore, Scandinavians did not necessarily believe in Snorris' Edda: this was a construction created several centuries after Christianity arrived, to explain the old gods from a Christian perspective. Remember the Christian Icelandic writers also claimed the Norse gods were Trojans.

As you know in the Germainc languages, it was very possible that "k" sound was changed to "v", for example we see "Quelle" in the German language is changed to "Well" in English, so "Scyth" could be also changed to "Svith".

Wrong. And wrong. "Kv" has changed to 'v' in some cases. No such change has happened in Norse though, as far I know. Further, "Svith" doesn't mean anything. If you are comparing with "Svithiod" (actually Svij, but I'm too lazy to type the thorns and dashes): it's Svi-thiod, not Svith-iod! Svi- means "of the Swedes", thiod means nation or people. Only "Svith" has no meaning whatsoever. Svi, svar means Swede,Swedes. How can you make conclusions without even knowing what the words mean?!

Why do you call it incorrect? Don't they say that "Scythians named lands after themselves, Saksony.", Geography of Strabo, Book XI, Chapter VIII, 4, The Natural History, Pliny the Elder, Book Vi, Chapter XI?

No, Cyrus, they don't. I read the whole sections, and I found nothing of the sort. Please quote the part where you found that.

<map>

You posted this map in the old thread and it is as irelevant now as then. For example, "Saxan" in Sweden is in fact Sax-n, the Sax river. Rivers and lake names are much older than your imagined contacts with "Scyths". Skasen has a totally different etymology. Saxon street is not even worth mentioning. Iirc several other names were proven having no connection with Scyths as well.

Names doesn't mean what you want them to mean. For example, there is a place in Sweden called Frankrike, which in Swedish literally can mean France - even the spelling is correct! Would you dare to give a guess to the origin of that place (hint: there were never any Franks in the region)?

I skimmed through the old behemouth thread on the same topic: http://allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22148&PN=5

Apparently Cyrus is making exactly the same arguments that were shot to pieces in that thread, including misquoting and misunderstanding ancient sources, using 15th-17th century propagandists as sources, making erroneous etymological conclusions (for example shire, which he was proved wrong by Sharrukin here: http://allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=22148&PN=10 or Svithjod). I see no real reason to continue this, since it's all repetition and Cyrus doesn't care whether he is proved wrong or not.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 29-Apr-2008 at 21:59
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 15:58

Yes, Swedes called Russia "Great Sweden." The same as Greeks called southern Italy and Sicily "Great Greece."

Russia was one of the important destination of Viking colonisation. Even name Russia itself is of Viking origin and Russia was rules by Swedish/Viking dynasty most of its history. Also most of the early kings of Rus are characters of Scandinavian literature as well.

Apparently early Riuriks were considered "our own" by Scandinavians especially Swedes.

And all these has nothing to do with Skythians.

All these has nothing to do with Russia, all sources say that they called Scythia (not Russia) "Svithjod the Great" (not "Great Sweden"),

There's a French Street in Southampton. Does that mean I'm French? (I confess I used to smoke Gauloise cigarettes.)

There's an English Garden in Munich. Does that mean Bavarians are English?

Do people who live in that French street also call themselves French, what about you?

We know before the mongol invasion, there were people who lived in this region and called themselves Saxon (Saqsin in Arabic).

Please read it: http://digilib.bu.edu/dspace/bitstream/2144/585/3/mongolmission008646mbp.txt

The Mongol Mission

NARRATIVES AND LETTERS OF THE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARIES IN MONGOLIA AND CHINA IN THE THIRTEENTH AND FOURTEENTH CENTURIES

Now follow the names of those countries which have manfully resisted the Tartars and are at the present time not subject to them: Great India, part of the Alans, part of the Kitayans and the Saxi [According to The Secret History of the Mongols (section 262) they were the Chechen of the Caucasus (Sasoun)] . When we were there we were told that the Tartars besieged a certain city of these Saxi and tried to subdue it. ...

More info about these people: It is known that in the thirteenth century a Christian people called the Saxi and speaking a language very similar to Old English inhabited near the Sea of Azov, and that troops of the Saxi served in the Georgian Army in the twelfth century.

Who Am I, Poem By Rumi: http://niceslow.blogspot.com/2006/11/who-am-i-poem-by-rumi.html

What is to be done, O Moslems?

for I do not recognize myself.
I am neither Christian, nor Jew, nor Gabr, nor Moslem.
I am not of the East, nor of the West, nor of the land, nor of the sea;
I am not of Nature's mint, nor of the circling heavens.
I am not of earth, nor of water, nor of air, nor of fire;
I am not of the empyrean, nor of the dust, nor of existence, nor of entity.
I am not of India, nor of China, nor of Bulghar, nor of Saqsin;
I am not of the kingdom of 'Iraqain, nor of the country of Khurasan.
I am not of this world, nor of the next, nor of Paradise, nor of Hell;
I am not of Adam, nor of Eve, nor of Eden and Rizwan.
My place is the Placeless, my trace is the Traceless;
'Tis neither body nor soul, for I belong to the soul of the Beloved.
I have put duality away, I have seen that the two worlds are one;
One I seek, One I know, One I see, One I call.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri - 30-Apr-2008 at 17:14
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 16:45

It is said that the Aestii in the Baltic region spoke a language close to the Britons. Do you really believe that Britons are Balts or Balts are Britons? People from the civilized mediterranian regions called the non-civilized people of the north Barbarians. Why? Because they only understand barbarabarbara. I am not sure if we can always trust them!

Nobody denies that there were Saxi, Saka or whatever in the east. But they didn't emigrate or invade to the Germanic Saxony. If your Saxi spoke a language close to Old English, I don't know about that, than it would be more possible that Germanic groups, maybe of the former Cernjachov-culture resisted to the Hunnic invasion like the Goth from Krim and moved eastwards. But that's completely unproofed, I guess.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 20:47
There were Anglo-Saxon migrants (mercenaries) to Byzantium after the Norman conquest. Not that many of them, but it's not impossible that they drifted north and east from there.

Apart from that different peoples may well have similar names - cf Moghul/Mongol, Kazakh/Kazak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 45>