Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saxon and Scythian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxon and Scythian
    Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 15:19
No 'sh'-sound? There are 5 different sh sounds in Swedish, and at least one in English.  In  German there is two, etc.
You are talking about the Old Swedish, English and German languages or modern? You know yourself that "sh" sounds in these modern languages is just because the influence of Saxon language on them.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 15:24
Old English: scurt
Old Norse: skurt
Old High German: scurs
IE base: (s)ker = to shear

How do you account for Japanese 'sho-to' ?

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think the main problem is that there is no "sh" sound in the Centum languages!!
???
Saxon scoh, German Schuh, English shoe, Scandinavian sko.
Saxon scol, German Schule, English school, Latin schola, French cole etc.
Saxon scip, German Schiff, Old Norse skip, I-E root same as for 'short', meaning 'cut out of (a tree)'

I could go on, but I don't see what you're driving at. All of these transitions are pretty well understood.

I'd agree 'centum' languages is a litle misleading, since modern Latin-inheriting languages that use the root don't pronounce it with a hard 'c', but that's a modern transition arising from the fact that 'e' is a 'soft vowel'.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 15:25

No 'sh'-sound? There are 5 different sh sounds in Swedish, and at least one in English.  In  German there is two, etc.
You are talking about the Old Swedish, English and German languages or modern? You know yourself that "sh" sounds in these modern languages is just because the influence of Saxon language on them.

Wrong. The 'sh'-sound in Swedish developed very recently, with no connection whatsoever with Saxon.

Let me get something straight: are you suggesting that Saxon alone was Iranic, or that all Germanic languages are in fact, Iranic?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 15:31
Cyrus, the Latin word for short is brevis. The word curto is a verb from (1st sg pres act indicative) of curtare, which means to shorten. The noun form curtus means mutilated, gelded. castrated, docked. However it does not mean short. Both the verb form and the noun form have the emphasis of cutting.

In re to your "sh" comment. That is just not true. In Norwegian there is a "sh" sound, Norwegian, if you look on the language trees that Styrbiorn and I have provided, is a Centum language. What is this "sh" sound in Norwegian? Good question, the "sh" sound in Norwegian occurs when an "s" is followed by an "l" as in the word sl - hit (Danbolt: Teach Yourself Norwegian, 7)

You should do more research Cyrus because Low German/Low Saxon has the k sound of the rest of the Centum languages. Take for example the word kees or kaise (Low Saxon), kaas (Dutch), and Kse (German). My Source for this. All these words mean cheese. You should also keep in mind that the names of these two branches of the IE language family were given their names by how they form the number 100 (Latin and the Centum Languages: centum; Avestan and the Satem languages: satem). Old Saxon 1st sg pronoun ik, Modern German Ich, Old Norse ek, Modern English I, Latin ego; notice the similarities between them? Or how about the preposition OS mit or the OS conjunction ef both are closely related to other Germanic languages like Old Norse. Would you have us believe that all Germanic languages are of the Satem variety? If that's not enough for you lets look at words like the OS geng this word is very similar to the Old Norse (ON) ganga (inf.,) which has the preterite form (you guessed it) geng + personal ending (gengu 3rd pl past; they went). Want more? Ok what about the similarities between ON at, OS that, English that, and even modern German da, English slang dat. Give it up you clearly can't use the language argument to back up your claim.

Here's another Language Tree

this one is taken from this webpage

Here is another Language Tree

Looks like it's an established fact that Old Saxon and its descendant Low Saxon/Low German are indeed Germanic Languages, since they are classified as such by Linguists. So your argument about Saxons and Skythians having the same language is mute if you argue that the Scythian language is an Iranic one.

And just for good measure:

Are you saying that all these linguists are wrong? You really should stay away from the language argument.

edit:
Here is a representation of Old Saxon from the 9th century and put on the web for the edification of the entire human race. Heliand in Old Saxon

Edited by King John - 27-Apr-2008 at 15:33
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 15:46
Another example of Germanic Centum-ness is the similarities between the verbs curto and skorta. It is no coincidence that the words are so similar. Take the first sillybles of both words cur- and skor- notice how similar they are? It should also be noted that at time the Old Norse skorta could and would be written scurta. The final syllable of each word is also incredibly close, granted the Latin one is a personal ending and the ON is an inf marker, however it can also be a personal ending just not the 1st sg.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 16:36

What does it prove?

K -> SK -> S/Sh

For example Darius the great in one of his inscriptions says "It is not my desire that the Skauthi should have wrong done to him by the mighty." "Skauthi" is an old Persian word which means "Shaky/Shuddery/Weak" in English and "Skut" in the Old Saxon, in the middle Persian language this word was changed to "Shot/Shul".

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 16:45

What does it prove?

K -> SK -> S/Sh

For example Darius the great in one of his inscriptions says "It is not my desire that the Skauthi should have wrong done to him by the mighty." "Skauthi" is an old Persian word which means "Shaky/Shuddery/Weak" in English and "Skut" in the Old Saxon, in the middle Persian language this word was changed to "Shot/Shul".

Skud is old Germanic. All Germanic languages have derivatives of it. Again, what are you trying to prove?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 17:16
Cyrus, what are you trying to prove? If you are trying to prove that Old Saxon is more closely related to Old Persian than to the Germanic Languages then you are totally wrong. You should go to the link to the Heliand Gospel that I provided and compare Old Saxon to Old Norse (which can also be found at that site). If you do this you will clearly see that Old Saxon and Old Norse are very closely related. You will also see evidence of the Germanic Strong Verb paradigm. Why are you so close-minded to not believe what is long established fact? I believe it is that you want to prop up Persian achievements and the claim that Persians are at the heart of one of the biggest economies in the world not to mention one of the first modern superpowers. The evidence that you have given so far is dubious to say the least. Your linguistic evidence is just flat out wrong.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 19:48

King John, these language trees have been designed for kids, if you know nothing about the Persian language then you can't say that Saxon is more similar to the Persian language or German languages, for example about the name of animals, what do you know about the origin of "Bird", "Dog", "Sheep", "Pig" and several other animals, is there any similar word in the Germanic languages?

What about the name of Metals?

For example the Old Persian word Brangs (Modern Persian Birinj), an old Iranian composed word which means "Brass". We know that Bronze (Spanish bronce, Swedish brons, Italian bronzo, French bronze, Czech bronz, Portuguese bronzear, Slovak bronz, Norwegian bronse, Croatian bronca, Dutch bronzen, ...) is a loan word from modern Persian langauge:

Bronze: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O999-bronze.html ORIGIN: mid 17th cent. (as a verb): from French bronze (noun), bronzer (verb), from Italian bronzo, from Persian birinj brass.

Now what do you know about the origin of the old Saxon word "Brass"?

Another example can be the Saxon word for "Iron" which is "Asen" (German "Eisen" comes from this word), the very Persian word for "Iron" is "Aseng", this is also an old Iranian composed word which originaly meant "Millstone". (As=Mill & Seng=Stone)

Ignore them, I think the most famous Iranian words are "Shah" (King) and "Shahr" (County), please tell me your idea about it:

Old Persian: Shatra-pa (country-protector) = Satrap (a provincial governor in the ancient Persian empire)
Middle Persian: Sheripa (Shahr means "county": Iranshahr, Khorramshahr, Noshahr, ...)
Saxon:: Sheriff (Sher (Shire) also means County: Cheshire, Hampshire, Yorkshire, ...)

What are the similar Germanic words?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 20:26
Anglo-Saxon/Old English is not the same as Old Saxon. Of course Persian and other Indo-European languages have similarities. Don't be silly, all Languages from the same family are going to have similarities. I never said that there were no similarities between Old Saxon and Old Persian. What you have to do is see what language(s) Old Saxon is most similar to. LINGUISTS have placed Old Saxon as a member of the Germanic family, NOT the Iranic family to which Persian is a member. Have you compared Old Saxon to Old Norse, both Germanic languages, or even Old English. When you actually do this comparison and don't just start posting dreck with no realistic backing you will see that Old Saxon is indeed a Germanic language and more closely related to languages like Old Norse, Old ENglish, Frisian, Gothic, and the modern Germanic languages.

P.S. It is a common rhetorical device for people who have no argument to belittle their opponent's well supported/documented argument. The language trees are made for children you claim, I say it is because they contradict the veracity of your statements. These trees are made by linguists and used to discuss like and similar languages. If you think they are wrong maybe you should write a book and lay out a totally new way of putting human language families together.

I have provided sources I kindly ask that you provide sources for your own arguments.

Edited by King John - 27-Apr-2008 at 20:40
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 20:56
I'm going to provide a few texts and you tell me how closely they are related.

Text 1

Nivr het konvngr i Sviio; hann atti tv sono oc eina dottvr, hon het Ba/dvildr. Bror vro rr synir Finnakonvngs; ht einn sl*gfir, annarr Egill, rii Volvndr; eir scrio oc veiddo dr. eir qvomo i Vlfdali oc gero ser ar hvs; ar er vatn, er heitir Vlfsir. Snemma of morgin fvndo eir a vazstrondo konor rir, oc spvnno ln; ar vro hia eim alptarhamir eirra; at vro valkyrior. ar vro tver dotr La/vss konvngs, Hlagvr svanhvit oc Hervor alvitr, enn riia var Avlrvn Kiars dottir af Vallande. eir ha/fdo er heim til scala me ser. Fecc Egill Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir Svanhvitrar, enn Va/lvndr Alvitrar. a/ bioggo siau vetr; a flvgo er at vitia viga, oc qvomo eigi aptr. a screi Egill at leita Avlrvnar, enn sl*gfir leitai Svanhvitrar, enn Volvndr sat i Vlfda/lom. Hann var hagastr mar sva at menn viti i fornom sa/gom. Nivr konvngr let hann ha/ndom taca, sva sem her er vm qveit.

Text 2

mit stridu. uui so stillo sculun freson is ferahes. that thit folc iudeonoan thesun uuihdagun. uuroht ni afhebbien. || Tho geng imu thar iudas ford iungaro kristes. en thero tuelibio that that adali sat. iu- deono gumscepi. quad that he is im godan rad seggian mahti. huat uuilliad gi mi sellien her quad he. medmo te medu. ef ik iu thene man gibu. ano uuig endi ano uuroht. Tho uuard thes uuerodes
hugi thero liudio an lustun. ef thu uuili gilestien so quadun sie thin uuord giuuaron. than thu giuuald habes. huat thu at thesaru thiodu thiggean uuillies. godaro medmo. Tho gihet imu that
gumscepi thar an is selbes dom silubarscatto. thritig atsamne. endi he te theru thiodu gisprak derebeun uuordun. that he gabi is drohtin uuid thiu. Uuende ina tho fan themu uuerode. uuas im uured hugi
talode im so treulos. huan er uurdi imu thiu tid kuman. that he ina mahti faruuisien. uuredaro thiodo. fiundo folke.

Text 3

Her com lfred, se unsceiga eling, elrdes
sunu cinges, hider inn and wolde to his meder, e on Win-
cestre st, ac hit him ne geafode Godwine eorl, ne ec ore
men e mycel mihton wealdan, foran hit hleorode a

swie toward Haraldes, eh hit unriht wre.
Ac Godwine hine a gelette        and hine on hft sette,
and his geferan he todraf,        and sume mislice ofsloh;
sume hi man wi feo sealde,        sume hreowlice acwealde,
sume hi man bende,        sume hi man blende,

Text 4
1 baga : vazraka : Auramazd : hya : im
2 m : bumm : ad : hya : avam : asm
3 nam : ad : hya : martiyam : ad : h
4 ya : shiytim : ad : martiyahy
5 : hya : Drayavaum : xshyathiyam : ak
6 unaush : aivam : parvnm : xshyath
7 iyam : aivam : parvnm : framt
8 ram : adam : Drayavaush : xshyathiya : va
9 zraka : xshyathiya : xshyathiynm
10 : xshyathiya : dahynm : vispazan
11 nm : xshyathiya : ahyy : bmi

I ask that the moderators bear with me as I am not going to provide sources for these four texts until Cyrus tells me which one doesn't fit. Then I will provide sources. I will not provide translations since they are often available at the sites I took these texts from.

So Cyrus, which of these text is most unlike the other? Which is the least similar? Which one doesn't seem to fit?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 21:13
You should also keep in mind that while there are words that are similar between Old Saxon and Old Persian the greater majority of words are dissimilar. Keep in mind that language similarities go beyond lexical similarities. Languages from the same family will have similar grammatical structures as well as common roots, pay attention to no just the words I provided above but also the grammar.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 21:45

King John, these language trees have been designed for kids, if you know nothing about the Persian language then you can't say that Saxon is more similar to the Persian language or German languages, for example about the name of animals, what do you know about the origin of "Bird", "Dog", "Sheep", "Pig" and several other animals, is there any similar word in the Germanic languages?

Bird is not Saxon, it appeared in English relatively lately. The Old Saxon word is fugal, akin to German Vogel and Swedish fgel. Dog appeared lately as well. Old Saxon was hund (German Hund, Swedish hund). Old Saxon skap means sheep, compare with Swedish boskap, livestock (bo- means it's part of the household). Old Saxon for "pig" is swin (German schwein, English swine, Swedich svin).

For example the Old Persian word Brangs (Modern Persian Birinj), an old Iranian composed word which means "Brass". We know that Bronze (Spanish bronce, Swedish brons, Italian bronzo, French bronze, Czech bronz, Portuguese bronzear, Slovak bronz, Norwegian bronse, Croatian bronca, Dutch bronzen, ...) is a loan word from modern Persian langauge:

This is totally unrelated to old Saxon.

I can't find brass in my Old Saxon dictionary, maybe you are referring to old English?

Another example can be the Saxon word for "Iron" which is "Asen" (German "Eisen" comes from this word), the very Persian word for "Iron" is "Aseng", this is also an old Iranian composed word which originaly meant "Millstone". (As=Mill & Seng=Stone)

All Germanic words for iron dates back longer than any contacts between Iranic and Germanic peoples.

Ignore them, I think the most famous Iranian words are "Shah" (King) and "Shahr" (County), please tell me your idea about it:

Old Persian: Shatra-pa (country-protector) = Satrap (a provincial governor in the ancient Persian empire)
Middle Persian: Sheripa (Shahr means "county": Iranshahr, Khorramshahr, Noshahr, ...)
Saxon:: Sheriff (Sher (Shire) also means County: Cheshire, Hampshire, Yorkshire, ...)

Sheriff is English. Not Saxon. It's derived from scirgerefa, the e doesn't come from shire(scir), but from gerefa, meaning official. In Sweden there are loads of places ending with -stan, eg Birkastan, Vasastan etc. Maybe Swedes are in fact Pakistanis?

---
All your examples are either irrelevant, or related to the fact that Germanic and Iranic languages belong to the same language group.

Again, what are you trying to prove? That Saxon is Iranic, or that all Germanic languages are Iranic?

Edited by Styrbiorn - 27-Apr-2008 at 21:46
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 21:55

The Anglo-Saxon for 'bird' is (was) 'fugel', (Old Saxon 'fugal') like German 'Vogel' and modern English 'fowl'.

Anglo- and Old Saxon for 'dog' is/was 'hund' like German 'Hund' and modern English 'hound'. The origin of 'dog' is obscure, but it originally referred to a specific breed, and anyway doesn't appear till late medieval times.

Anglo-Saxon 'sceap'[1] is modern English 'Sheep', 'Schaf' in modern German, and variously 'skep' or 'skap' in other early Germanic languages.

I don't think 'pig' is Saxon at all: it's like 'dog' in being a late formation of obscure origin that replaced the Anglo-Saxon 'svin' which is of course much the same word in all Germanic languages (and still appears in modern English as 'sow'). It's possible that 'pig' relates to Latin 'porcus' and its descendant in other Romance languages.

So the only one of those four words that actually is Saxon, Anglo or Old, is 'sceap'.

I'm not at all clear what you mean by 'Saxon'.

[1] When it doesn't mean genitals Embarrassed.

Bronze: http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O999-bronze.html ORIGIN: mid 17th cent. (as a verb): from French bronze (noun), bronzer (verb), from Italian bronzo, from Persian birinj brass.

There is no 'old Saxon' word 'brass'. Nearest I can find are 'brassica' which means 'cabbage' and is Latin in origin, and various forms of 'brastlian' meaning 'to make a soft noise'.

Old English has 'braes' but it seems to be restricted to English, though Old Swedish 'brasa' means 'fire' which may link to 'brazen'. (I.e. it's called 'braes' because it is alloyed in the fire. Or it may have something to do with French 'brasser' meaning to brew, again because it is an alloy.

'Bronze' is of course a very late arrival in English (18th century) and yes there is a strong likelihood it came from the Persian but it has nothing to do at all with Saxon (any variety).

'Another example can be the Saxon word for "Iron" which is "Asen" (German "Eisen" comes from this word), the very Persian word for "Iron" is "Aseng", this is also an old Iranian composed word which originaly meant "Millstone". (As=Mill & Seng=Stone)
Old Saxon is 'isarn', which is also Old English 'isaern' but the same root appears in old Norse, old High German, old Dutch and pretty well everywhere in Europe including the old Celtic languages and Illyrian, but excluding the Romance and Slav languages. In proto-IE it probably just meant 'strong'.

Originally 'scir' in Anglo-Saxon meant an official: using the word to mean what he was in charge of came later (as 'county' derived from 'count'). Old High German 'scira' had the same meaning. The later, territorial, meaning is related to the ending of, e.g., the German 'Grafschaft' and the Swedish 'grevskap' meaning 'earldom' literally, but a count is the same as an earl.

Edited by gcle2003 - 27-Apr-2008 at 21:57
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 23:10

Is he going after the Old Saxon language, or Anglo-Saxon language, Old English?

Originally 'scir' in Anglo-Saxon meant an official: using the word to mean what he was in charge of came later (as 'county' derived from 'count'). Old High German 'scira' had the same meaning. The later, territorial, meaning is related to the ending of, e.g., the German 'Grafschaft' and the Swedish 'grevskap' meaning 'earldom' literally, but a count is the same as an earl.
From what I understand, a Scir was a adminstration incharge of a "Hundred", which were families on the land. Though the meaning of a Hundred is still not very clear to me.
The person incharge of the Scir was the Ealdorman, and he would have a Scirgerfa(later Sheriff) who would hold the courts and such.
Later on, after Norman rule, a few scirs(I believe Scir was Normanized to Shire at this point) were grouped together and a Earl was placed incharge of them.

I can't find Scir or Shire in Old Saxon at all. Maybe it's in Old Frisian? I think Old English came off of that language.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2008 at 23:19
It just struck me.
Do you know what was the favorite drink of Skytho/Saxons ?  Rice vodka of course !
Sake !

SAKe !  SAK=SKYTHIAN=SAXON !

Brilliant !

LOL

Σαυρομάτης
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 06:06
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Bird is not Saxon, it appeared in English relatively lately. The Old Saxon word is fugal, akin to German Vogel and Swedish fgel. Dog appeared lately as well. Old Saxon was hund (German Hund, Swedish hund). Old Saxon skap means sheep, compare with Swedish boskap, livestock (bo- means it's part of the household). Old Saxon for "pig" is swin (German schwein, English swine, Swedich svin).

This is totally unrelated to old Saxon.

I can't find brass in my Old Saxon dictionary, maybe you are referring to old English?

All Germanic words for iron dates back longer than any contacts between Iranic and Germanic peoples.

Sheriff is English. Not Saxon. It's derived from scirgerefa, the e doesn't come from shire(scir), but from gerefa, meaning official. In Sweden there are loads of places ending with -stan, eg Birkastan, Vasastan etc. Maybe Swedes are in fact Pakistanis?

---
All your examples are either irrelevant, or related to the fact that Germanic and Iranic languages belong to the same language group.

Again, what are you trying to prove? That Saxon is Iranic, or that all Germanic languages are Iranic?

Styrbiorn: stan is a well-known Iranian suffix not Pakistani.

Kurdistan
Luristan = land of the Lurs,
Kuhistan = Mountain (Kuh = Mount,  stan = place)
.................................................................................................................................

I think Cyrus is trying to say among all European languages old Saxon is the closest one to old Persian. (Not saying Persian is the only and most closest language to old Saxon). All you need to know is that Scythian language was not Persian language but a close language to Persian language. Please pay attention that Persian and Iranic are two totally different word and have different meaning. Persian is one of the Iranic languages not all of them. Btw, Scythian langauge is an old language which was spread in a large distance between central asia and eastern europe. This means it can adopt many words from other languages and after all these years who knows what has remained from that language when its native speakers had disappeared from the history long time ago.

My point: Even if there was a branch of Scythian language among the Sea of Germanic speakers in the past, it definitely had adopted many germanic words or even changed its structure and after centuries disappeared this discussion has no point since you guys can not convince each others.  
Anfører
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 06:15
Another mistake: We have not enough Scythian documented words, You guys are comparing old Saxon with Old Persian not Scythian.
Anfører
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 06:35
We know almost nothing about "Scythian language" except the few word listed by Herodotus and a few other antique historians. Most of these words are the names of gods and tribes. Other than that these is no any reliable information on Scythian language.
Σαυρομάτης
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2008 at 09:15
Originally posted by Suren

Styrbiorn: stan is a well-known Iranian suffix not Pakistani.

Kurdistan
Luristan = land of the Lurs,
Kuhistan = Mountain (Kuh = Mount,  stan = place)

I'm aware of that: stan means 'the town' in modern Swedish, short form of staden, from Old Norse stadr, meaning 'place'.  It's  an old  IE word. I was trying to show how preposterous it is to use word similarities between languages that are related to prove a point. It has been used by pseudo-historians and propagandists throughout the ages (because they don't have any real arguments!). The same way Cyrus compared and English and a Persian word in order to "prove" that two other peoples, the Saxons and the Scyths, were related.

My point: Even if there was a branch of Scythian language among the Sea of Germanic speakers in the past, it definitely had adopted many germanic words or even changed its structure and after centuries disappeared this discussion has no point since you guys can not convince each others. 

My point is that Saxon is a clearly Germanic language, with very close ties to the neighbouring Germanic languages. There is no way whatsoever it could have been a Iranic language.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 28-Apr-2008 at 09:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 45>