Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the silat the muslim martial art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
white knight View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote white knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the silat the muslim martial art
    Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 07:11
guys how popular is the indonesian martial art silat in the middle east?  is it like in indonesia that is like a way of life? thanks.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2006 at 08:03
Is it a muslim martial art ? It is not. It is an Indonesian martial art.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 12:29
it is a muslim martial art invented by the indonesian and malaysian muslims
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:03
This suppose to be in SE Asia Forum not here..Martial art not related to religion... can Tae-kwando or Kung fu be related to Buddhist? I dont think so... for the very first time i agree with vivek
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:04
On the second thought... Kung fu is practiced and learn by Shoalin monks..lol... but.. for sure Silat is not muslim martial art...
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:15
I met the main guy for Guyong Silat UK and from what he narrated to me about the roots of this silat is that it was associated with muslims a bit like the shaolin analogy Cahaya has presented.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 14:20
Cool let we check on the history of Silat.. why dont malizai find for us as he learn silat himself...
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 15:05
Dato Meor Abdul Rahman, WAS THE FOUNDER 1963, he is said to be from a line of Bugis warriors(malay).  Although thexact origin of the silat is not known it is known that it was by large taught to muslim malays only.

Mr Dato's two other brothers developed the Lincha and some other that i can not remember.

Here is an interesting article i came across when googling.

" While in graduate school, I had a Jewish roommate who was a student of the  martial arts. While I was living with him, he was studying an art called silat, a traditional Malaysian martial art that is based on the teachings of Islam. When my roommate would come home from his silat classes, he would tell me all about the uniqueness of silat and its rich spiritual dimension. As I was quite interested in learning martial arts at the time, I was intrigued by what I had heard, and decided to accompany my roommate to class one Saturday morning. Although I did not realize it at the time, my experience in Islam was beginning that morning at my first silat class in New York City back on February 28th, 1998. There, I met my teacher, Cikgu (which means teacher in Malay) Sulaiman, the man who would first orient me to the religion of Islam. Although I thought I was beginning a career as a martial artist, that day back in 1998 actually represented my first step toward becoming Muslim.

From the very beginning, I was intrigued by silat and Islam and began spending as much time as possible with my teacher. As my roommate and I were equally passionate about silat, we would go to my teachers house and soak up as much knowledge as we could from him. In fact, upon our completing graduate school in the spring of 1998, upon his invitation, we spent the entire summer living with him and his wife. As my learning in silat increased, so did my learning about Islam, a religion that I had hardly any knowledge of prior to my experience in silat.

What made my orientation to Islam so powerful was that as I was learning about it, I was also living it. Because I studied at the home of my teacher, being in the presence of devout Muslims allowed me to be constantly surrounded by the sounds, sights and practices of Islam. For as Islam is an entire lifestyle, when you are in an Islamic environment, you cannot separate it out from everyday life. Unlike Christianity, which lends toward a separation between daily life and religion, Islam requires its followers to integrate worship of Allah into everything we do. Thus, in living with my teacher, I was immersed in the Islamic deen (lifestyle) and experiencing first-hand how it can shape ones entire way of life.

"While in graduate school, I had a Jewish roommate who was a student of the  martial arts. While I was living with him, he was studying an art called silat, a traditional Malaysian martial art that is based on the teachings of Islam. When my roommate would come home from his silat classes, he would tell me all about the uniqueness of silat and its rich spiritual dimension. As I was quite interested in learning martial arts at the time, I was intrigued by what I had heard, and decided to accompany my roommate to class one Saturday morning. Although I did not realize it at the time, my experience in Islam was beginning that morning at my first silat class in New York City back on February 28th, 1998. There, I met my teacher, Cikgu (which means teacher in Malay) Sulaiman, the man who would first orient me to the religion of Islam. Although I thought I was beginning a career as a martial artist, that day back in 1998 actually represented my first step toward becoming Muslim.

From the very beginning, I was intrigued by silat and Islam and began spending as much time as possible with my teacher. As my roommate and I were equally passionate about silat, we would go to my teachers house and soak up as much knowledge as we could from him. In fact, upon our completing graduate school in the spring of 1998, upon his invitation, we spent the entire summer living with him and his wife. As my learning in silat increased, so did my learning about Islam, a religion that I had hardly any knowledge of prior to my experience in silat.

What made my orientation to Islam so powerful was that as I was learning about it, I was also living it. Because I studied at the home of my teacher, being in the presence of devout Muslims allowed me to be constantly surrounded by the sounds, sights and practices of Islam. For as Islam is an entire lifestyle, when you are in an Islamic environment, you cannot separate it out from everyday life. Unlike Christianity, which lends toward a separation between daily life and religion, Islam requires its followers to integrate worship of Allah into everything we do. Thus, in living with my teacher, I was immersed in the Islamic deen (lifestyle) and experiencing first-hand how it can shape ones entire way of life."

i guess religion is used to invoke god to bestow strength and invicibility in defense. i cant imagine it to be discipline, because other martial arts have discipline.

Btw, Cahaya can u tell us the meaning of Dato- is that a title?

Edited by malizai_ - 11-Oct-2006 at 15:07
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:20
the marital art tradition i n Indonesia & malaysia is much older than this.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 01:57
Originally posted by cahaya

This suppose to be in SE Asia Forum not here..Martial art not related to religion... can Tae-kwando or Kung fu be related to Buddhist? I dont think so... for the very first time i agree with vivek

Thank God. It is a good begining.
Gun Powder Ma View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Gun Powder Ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 02:00
The origins of Kung-Fu are closely related to Buddhism, so perhaps Silat is to Islam, either? Just a thought.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 16:58
Malizai, the meaning of Dato'.. it's a title. yeaps.. u are correct..
It's given by the Sultan of any states in Malaysia...

You may want to see this...

and wife of dato' is called datin... "Datin Cahaya" Cool.. lol
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 02:56
Originally posted by Gun Powder Ma

The origins of Kung-Fu are closely related to Buddhism, so perhaps Silat is to Islam, either? Just a thought.

The development of Kung fu is related to buddhism, but not it's origin.

The Shaolin temple which spearheaded the development of this, was intorduced to  a marital art by the  an Indian  monk, who was an exponent of the  "Kalaripayatt" an Indian martial art.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 02:57
The fact that Silat predominantyly exists in Indonesia & not other muslim countries itself proves that it is an ethnic Indonesian art.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2006 at 12:08
vivek why u always talk nonsense?

Originally posted by vivek

The fact that Silat predominantyly exists in Indonesia & not other muslim countries itself proves that it is an ethnic Indonesian art.

Edited by cahaya - 13-Oct-2006 at 12:09
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2006 at 11:29
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

That and the fact that the Islam that is practiced in Indonesia in 2006 is very different from the Islam that was practiced in Indonesia when Silat developed.

Traditional Indonesian Islam was pretty fluid and combined indigenous folk beliefs along with elements from Hinduism and Buddhism.  After 1950s, this form of Islam began to be replaced by more Orthodox forms from the Middle East.   Even in past centures, there were exceptions.  For example, the Aechenese have been Orthodox Moslems for a long time.

Interestingly, martial arts never really developed here in the West.  And the two indigenous forms that did ( in Russia and France) are secular and do not incorporate elements of Christianity.   

Edited by Cryptic - 15-Oct-2006 at 11:43
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 02:24
Originally posted by cahaya

vivek why u always talk nonsense?

Originally posted by vivek

That nonsense is the truth.  If the present sense is not the truth, but is still regarded as sense, then surely any truth would appear to be non sense at an unanalytical sight.

Think.

Why would a muslim art not develop in a muslim heartland, but in Indonesia which is heavily into Chinese -  Indian influence.

Indonesia is not alone. Why have all the other martial arts also developed in this Eastern part of the world.

Tipu Sultan View Drop Down
Earl
Earl
suspended

Quote Tipu Sultan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 09:19
hazrath ali(r.a.)was a great muslim champion fighter
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2006 at 17:13
vivek i'm not saying about silat as muslim martial arts..
wht i mean is.. when u were saying
"The fact that Silat predominantyly exists in Indonesia".

Mr vivek Silat is not only can be found in Indonesia but in my country too... actually all around Malay world.. brunei, thai, philipines and s'pore...
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2006 at 01:20
When I said Indonesia, I meant the whole of South East Asia. I admit my mistake in clubbing everything with indonesia. It's just that the entire geography gor clubbed together in haste.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>