Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Self concept of India

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self concept of India
    Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 13:27
Discussing in the thread about the origin of the name India, i saw a curious point that i never stop to think. That is, when was the indians aware of their identity? The greeks knew India slowly, first the western part then the entire subcontinent, and because reasons that i don't know clearly, they finally had a concept of India that correspond with the historical India, that is by the II century AC they were capable of see, over the extreme diversity of the subcontinent, a unity, a common identity to the entire India. Were they the first?
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 17:01
The Greeks borrowed the concept from the Persians IIRC and I think it was a catch-all term like Celt rather than some recognition of unity.  I'd say the idea of India as a nation state emerged only after the creation of British India.  Indians were tied together by culture/language/religion etc. at various times but like with most countries, the idea of a united secular nation is relatively recent.  
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 17:25

Ancient Pakistanis called themselves "Indians" over 3500 years ago. Ancient Indians (of modern times) called themselves "Bharatis" around about 2,500 years ago. The first time they called themselves "Indian" was when the British forced it onto them when they took hold of the subcontinent, around 200 years back. The first time they accepted the name "Indian" was at Partition, when Jinnah was furious that Nehru had chosen India for a name.

Sound right or no?

Edited by TeldeInduz - 18-Sep-2006 at 17:26
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 18:28
For me I tend to have my own rule and it makes sense to me when I use it.

When talking about pre-1947 and I say India i'll mean Indian Subcontinent and use the term Indian geographically rather than race.

Post 1947 when I use Indian I mean when a person from the Republic of India.

Yes the Greeks first thought of "Pakistanis" first as Indian and later "Indians" as Indians. It makes sense too, that is the order in which they discovered the lands.

As for the Jinnah-Nehru story I had heard it before but I had always believed it to be wives tales. If you agree with it Telde I guess I may be wrong.

Back to the original question different people will say different things. Some people may talk of the Mahabharata and Ramayana, others will talk of Maurya.
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 20:23
Should correct myself. Ancient Pakistanis called themselves Sindhus..Indian is an entirely foreign word, but derived from the Sapta Sindhu.
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 05:53
Agreed. It's like us calling the people of the IVC Harrapans, they obviously didn't call themselves that.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 06:49
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Should correct myself. Ancient Pakistanis called themselves Sindhus..Indian is an entirely foreign word, but derived from the Sapta Sindhu.

At least you learnt something from me !
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 07:06
The name India was given to the land by the greeks for the regions comprising today's Afgahnistan & onwards to the east.

Its various names are Hindusthan (the land of Hindus), Bharat Varsha (The domain / kingdom of king Bharat), Aryavart (the land of Aryans), Jambudwipa (the big / combined / holy island).

Its identity in the memory of its people (the nation not the word India) goes to remote antiquity.

If we try to fix any timeline to its events & look at the other comparative knowledge availaible, the age of the Indian identity becomes sometimes very confusing to outsiders.

Its religion Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, although the name Hindu itself is not Indian, it being Vedic religion. In some ways Hinduism is not a religion at all but a way of life or just a faith.

Sanskrit is the oldest developed language in the world.

Ancient India comprised of the entire subcontinent  & further stretching from Iran to central asia, tibet & down south to what was Sundaland.

General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

The name India was given to the land by the greeks for the regions comprising today's Afgahnistan & onwards to the east.

Its various names are Hindusthan (the land of Hindus), Bharat Varsha (The domain / kingdom of king Bharat), Aryavart (the land of Aryans), Jambudwipa (the big / combined / holy island).

Its identity in the memory of its people (the nation not the word India) goes to remote antiquity.

If we try to fix any timeline to its events & look at the other comparative knowledge availaible, the age of the Indian identity becomes sometimes very confusing to outsiders.

Its religion Hinduism is the oldest religion in the world, although the name Hindu itself is not Indian, it being Vedic religion. In some ways Hinduism is not a religion at all but a way of life or just a faith.

Sanskrit is the oldest developed language in the world.

Ancient India comprised of the entire subcontinent  & further stretching from Iran to central asia, tibet & down south to what was Sundaland.

Bharat is what you called yourselves. Hindustan is what foreigners called the area of India from about 100 BC onwards. Aryavarta is what the Pakistanis called themselves - Arrata Aryavarta.

Hinduism, Hindustan, India are all words invented by foreigners, but derived from the Sindhu. All the works before 200 BC or so refer to Pakistan when foreigners talk of "India".
M. Nachiappan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 08:01
1. Greeks never called them "Greek", but "Iyovinas".

2. So, Indians never called them "Indians", but the Greeks.

3. Chinese called it "Ind".

4. The Arabs called "Hind" (Hindsha = numbers from India, Sindhind=Siddhanta from India, i.e, the Astronomical and mathematical tables from India; this "Sindhind" changed to "Zij" and "Zinj" to tables).

5.  The name "Bharata" is very ancient, as it is mentioned in the Sanskrit (c.3500 BCE) and Tamil literature (c.100 BCE).

6. The "Hindustan" usage has been from the Abbasid period.

7. In Bongozkay inscription (c.1450 BCE), Indrasil, Mitrasil, Masatya have been mentioned. This proves the acceptance of Vedic Gods before that period in the middle-east.

8. Indians had such concept - as the entire world was India (Lokastamasta sukino bhavantu=let the whole world get happiness; kuvanto viswan arya = let make the entire world civilized with wisdom). That is why, they considered welfare of the world. The Prayer of Peace (Shanti mantra) has been for all without any discrimination as divinding the humanity into jews-gentile, christian-heathen, momin-kafir.

9. Histomaps show only two civilzations of the world India and China continue to be existence since time immemorial, while all the others rise and fall and disappear also.

10. Therefore, to assessee such people with the presentday knowledge may have limitations.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2006 at 08:52
In fact Ikki if you see the ancient world, from Turkey to India, & central Asia, you will find the Indian culture prospering. Notice the similarities in the gods fro Sparta to India, ancient centra asian culture, the Ashur (Assryian) culture, the mittani, the Mani, the medes etc..
jayeshks View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote jayeshks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2006 at 01:03
Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

could you elaborate on this term? I've never encountered it before

7. In Bongozkay inscription (c.1450 BCE), Indrasil, Mitrasil, Masatya have been mentioned. This proves the acceptance of Vedic Gods before that period in the middle-east.

Yes it suggests at least the influence of Vedic culture on the Hurri & Mittani but the modern rep. of India can't exactly lay claim to that inheritance alone. 

8. Indians had such concept - as the entire world was India (Lokastamasta sukino bhavantu=let the whole world get happiness; kuvanto viswan arya = let make the entire world civilized with wisdom). That is why, they considered welfare of the world. The Prayer of Peace (Shanti mantra) has been for all without any discrimination as divinding the humanity into jews-gentile, christian-heathen, momin-kafir.

what does this have to do with the topic?Ouch  And the shudras were discriminated against regardless of the universality of many of the mantras.

9. Histomaps show only two civilzations of the world India and China continue to be existence since time immemorial, while all the others rise and fall and disappear also.

10. Therefore, to assessee such people with the presentday knowledge may have limitations.

Then what do you suggest?
Once you relinquish your freedom for the sake of "understood necessity,"...you cede your claim to the truth. - Heda Margolius Kovaly
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 04:30
Originally posted by jayeshks

Originally posted by M. Nachiappan

could you elaborate on this term? I've never encountered it before

The Greeks were called as "yonas", "yavanas", "ionians", "iyovinas" etc. Such expressions are found in Tamil and Sanskrit literature and inscriptions.

Yes, it suggests at least the influence of Vedic culture on the Hurri & Mittani but the modern rep. of India can't exactly lay claim to that inheritance alone. 

Hurri or "Hittite"?

Yes, India need not claim that inheritance, only, they have to claim.

what does this have to do with the topic?Ouch  And the shudras were discriminated against regardless of the universality of many of the mantras.

How Hindus were / are treated by Christians and MOhammedans in their writings?

Hindus were / are mentioned as gentiles, heathens, idolators, kafirs, umbelievers, having diabolic religion, and so on. So what is this treatment? "Hewers of wood and drawers of water"?

The four type division is mentioned in other civilizations also - the Jews, the Greeks, the Babylonians, the Romas etc. The projected discrimination started with the invasion of Mohammedans and Portuguese manipulations (followed by the Jesuits representing all Europeans).

Then what do you suggest?

Name or naming Bharat of such antiquity.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2006 at 06:04
In India, all the religions christians, muslims & hindus have caste systems. This fallacy of sudras being descriminated has been promulgated by the other religions so that they are able to convert these poor & innocent people to their religion.

They don't look into the fact that the first Indian emperor as documented by western history was Chandragupta Maurya, who was of this so called low castes & he was turned into an Emperor by Vishnugupta Bhatta "Chanakya" who was pne of the most fiery nationalistic brahamin in Indian History.

Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote M. Nachiappan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 04:20
Why in India, if any sociologist, anthropologist or social scientist studies sincerely or adopts the same methdology what he / she does for India, it can be seen such social stratification has been there among others also.

"Caste" is the word coined by the Portuguese from their "casta" (to throw) in Indian context, but, enthnicity, ethnos, denomination, tribe, tribal, and such other terminology is used for it in other societies.

ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 04:32
Just to corroborate statements given by some friend's here about the nomenclature of INdia, Hindu and Bharatha, I have given below a sloka from Vishnu Purana (have not tried to date it though).

"Uttaram Yat samudrasya
HImadreshchaiva Dakshinam
Varsham Tad Bharatham nama
Bharathiyaha Ithi Santhathihi" - Vishnu Purana

"The land above oceans
and below the HImalayas
Is known to be Bhartha
and the inhabitants are Bhrathiya" - Vishnu Purana
K. V. Ramakrishna Rao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote K. V. Ramakrishna Rao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 09:22

What ancient Tamil literature says about India

The following verses from the ancient Tamil literature are quoted to prove that the Tamil people (Indians living in the southern most part of India) had clear idea of the geographical boundaries of the land, where they lived.

The verses in original text, transliteration and meaning are as follows:

வடாஅது பனிபடு நெடுவரை வடக்கும்

தெனாஅது உருகெழு குமரியின் தெற்கும்

குணாஅது  கரைபொரு தொடுகடல் குணக்கும்

குடாஅது தொன்றுமுதிர் பௌத்தின் குடக்கும்

Vadathu panipadu neduvarai vadakkum

Thenadhu urukezhu kumariyin terkum

Kunadhu karaiporu todukadal kunakkum

Kudathu tonrumudhir bauvattin kudakkum (Puram.6: 1-4).

Karikizhar (a Tamil poet) describes the land with the boundaries as follows

1. snow clad tall mountains in the north
  2. the fearful Kumari in the south
  3. shore washing ocean in the east
  4. the old ocean on the west

தென்குமரி வடபெருங்கல்

குணகுடகட லாலெல்லை

Tenkumari vadaperungal

Kunakuda kadala ellai (Puram,17: 1-2).

Kurungozhiyur Kizhar (another poet) describes the boundaries of the land as Kumari in the south, a big rocky (hill) in the north, eastern ocean in the east and Western Ocean in the west.

குமரிஅம் பெருந்துறை அயிரைமாந்தி

வடமலை பெயர்குவை ஆயின் இடையது

சோழநன்னாட்டு

Kumariam peruturai ayirai idaiyadhu manthi

Vadamalai peyarguvin ayin idaiyadhu

Chozha nanndau(Puram. 67: 6-8)

Pisirandaiyar (another poet) mentions that Chozhanadu was in between Kumari (in the south) and the Northern Mountain (Himalayas).

வடதிசை யதுவே வான்தோய் இமயம்

தென்திசை ஆஅய்குடி இன்றாயின்

Vadathisai yadhuve vantoi imayam

Tenthisai yadhuve Aykudi inrayin (Puram.132: 7-8).

If the sky touching Himalayas in the north and the clan of Ay in the South were not there, the vast world would get destroyed.

........................................பனிபௌவத்துக்

குணகுட கடலோடுஆயிடை.

pani bauvattuk

kunakuda kadalodu ayidai(Padit.51:14-15)

Kings and the learned coming from different parts of the land, which is surrounded by conch sounding cold southern ocean, eastern ocean and Western Ocean.

தென்குமரி வடபெருங்கல்

குணகுடகட லாலெல்லை

Tenkumari vadaperungal

Kunakudakadala ellai (Maduraikkanchi.70-71)

Mangudi Marudhanar describes the boundaries of the land are the southern Kumari, northern big mountain, eastern ocean and western ocean.

Note how Kurungozhiyur Kizhar and Mangudi Marudhanar repeat the sentences exactly same as if they quote.

பொற்கோட்டு இமயமும் பொதியும் போ ன்றே

porkottu imayamum podiyum ponre (Puram,2: 25)

Murinjiyur Naganar praises Cheraman Peunchotru Udhiyan Cheraladhan that he should live long like the golden peaked Himalayas and podiyam / Podigai Hills.

Above all, the name Bharat is specifically mentioned in Manimekhalai:

பாடல்சால் சிறப்பிற் பாரதத் தோங்கிய

Padalsal sirappir Bharadhat tongiya (17-57)

Much sung Bharat was famous for maintaining good relations with other countries  with all wealth to be attracted by other countries.

History is not what was written or is written, but it is actually what had happened in the past.
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2007 at 22:21
^ i am not sure why are u posting tamil literature on everythread? i mean thats not the only literature in india.
ASHWINKUMARIYER View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ASHWINKUMARIYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 05:34

Dear Kashmiri,

There are only a few literatures which date as early as or probably earlier than the Rg Veda. One of them is Sangam Literature. If you go through them, it would be amazing to see the fine details that have been described about the culture in terms of Warfare, Political Science, Fine Arts and a lot more. They give a great details about India and especially South India (which in my view had been by and large neglected subjected till a few decades back).

There are a only a few people who can read through the Sangam Literature with a historical connotation, while most of them read it for the linguistic estacy. If Mr. Rao feel like quoting from Sangam literature, let him please do it, for he should have spent decades of study for that. Let us quote from various resources where we know better to arrive at a consensus or atleast to discuss history.

And as far as relevance to this topic is concerned, I dont think there could be any better scriptures than Vedic/Puranic and Sangam Scriptures to define what India was two millenia ago.
Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2007 at 10:01
^ well fine if sangam is used to describe what was happening in south india thats fine, but what would the ancient tamils exactly know about what was happeing in lets say near kashmir or something?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>