Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How does Chinese philosophy compare with

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does Chinese philosophy compare with
    Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 23:06
I just found these forums and I'm intrigued.  It seems for the most part what is taught in school these days and other institutions seems to put it that eastern civilizations, particularily China, trumps the West in every respect.

I'm not naive enough of course to not see that political correctness may be a  factor.  Afterall, for a long time they have tried to attribute the practice of scalping to the European colonists of the North American continent, until of course exhaustive research proved that the practice was entirely homegrown.

And so I ask what seems like a well educated group here, how does Greek Philosophy compare with Chinese Philosophy.  We give a lot of credit to Art of War, but what about Plato's Republic?

Discuss
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 23:28
How they compare in what? I'm not familiar with Chinese philosophy so I can't speak for that. But philosophies generally try to answer the same questions, origin of things, nature of knowledge, how things come to be the way they are.
A marker for Greek thought in pre-Platonian philosophers (Plato changes everything) was when they switched from inquiring about the causes of things ( Miletians, first Greek philosophers) to the nature of change. At some point there wasn't enough to say "this is like this because of a), b), c) but you had to establish how you knew that.  Heraclitus and the Eleatic school with Parmenides as his proponent belong to this category. Parmenides was the first to state, i.e. that the emotions cannot be a guide to knowledge but reason alone can be trusted. He also declared that nothing can come from not being.
Empedocles, while accepted this basic premise,  also held that change does occur and can be observed in the elements and their proportions. He divided his elements into 'original' and 'simple'. He named as his basic elements ('rizomata', roots) earth, air, and water out of which everything else is made by combining different proportions. Here perhaps he came close to the Chinese eight elements and their interaction and this is a similarity between the two philosophies.
Generally there are a lot of similarities in the way people think about the same stuff.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 23:36

Hrothqar, how and where did you get the impression that Western institutions are teaching the superiority of Eastern civilizations over Western ones? Maybe they are simply making people more aware of the contributions of other civilizations, which I don't think is a bad thing at all. It's very hard for me to believe that any reputable scholars or academians would seriously try to find or claim the superlative of anything. Such an exercise is strictly reserved to some of our AE members who are obsessed with finding the "best" and the "most". Wink

So I think it has nothing to do with political correctness. It has more to do with the opening up of more channels of academic communication and exchanges, thanks to modern information technologies.     

Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 01:20
the teaching of history is never influenced by political correctness?

perhaps i'll give you a chance to retract that.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 03:41

The way history is tought to schools is been guided by the government.

This takes no doudt. For example i was in Turkey and i was discussing with a turkish student for politics and history and she was telling me thing totally different thatn i was tought in school. THis is the fact.
Now Greece alongs with eastern civilizations were far more advanced from other western civilizations at that time. One section that were suprior was philosophy. I mean Greeks, Chinese and Egypt has developed an extraordinary philosophicall system. Heraclitus spoke for the atom and divide of this.  Egypt has a theory for after death life. Anyway my point is that European philosofy like Kant and NIche was thousands of years developed. MAybe thats way you have the impressoin of eastern superiority. To tell the truth i think that ancient phisophikal systems are indded superiors if we could say that.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 06:37
I'm not sure what you're trying to compare here, or on what criteria.

With regard to the Art of War and Plato's Republic, one is a manual on conducting military (and possibly other) confrontations, while the other is a prescription for managing society. The Republic no longer has much of a following in the west since it advocates and leads to conservative totalitarianism, of which we've seen rather too much by now.

But in any case the two are aimed at achieving different ends, so it's impossible really to compare them. You could follow one or the other or both or neither: they're irrrelevant to one another.

A more proper comparison might be Sun Tzu vs Clausewitz, or on the other hand Confucius vs Plato. Confucius is also conservative but not totalitarian: personally I would prefer Aristotle's Politics to either of them.

However, the point is that which you feel to be superior or more 'advanced' is going to depend a lot on your political viewpoint.

The Greeks were much more interested in what we would call the 'natural sciences' than any of their contemporaries: on the other hand the Chinese were more interested in practical engineering. So the Greeks, in Heraclitus and Epicurus and Aristotle were much closer to our modern ideas of the sciences, while the Chinese seem to have been better engineers. And neither of them developed such elaborate metaphysical and mystical systems as the Indians.

But how can you say one is, overall, better than another, without simply betraying what your own priorities and interests are?

Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 06:53
Chinese philosopy is not similiar to Greek. It is in many ways similiar to Indian
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 07:38
Originally posted by Hrothgar

the teaching of history is never influenced by political correctness?

perhaps i'll give you a chance to retract that.

To retract what? I have never denied that history - both the teaching AND the writing of it - is not influenced by political correctness. (Hrothgar, you just joined AE recently so it will take a while for you to know the stands of other AE members. In fact my view on history is a lot more "postmodern" than most forumers here.) What I fail to see is that political correctness is making WESTERN INSTITUTIONS (which is an extremely general term) exalt Eastern philosophies at the expense of Western ones. I simply do not see that happening. If that was indeed the case, you would certainly see a lot less people having an Eurocentric view of world history, and I can assure that even here at AE, this is not yet happening. 

What I do observe is that Western scholars are paying more attention to the contribution of Eastern civilizations (including Eastern philosophies) to human history in general, and it is a good thing rather than a bad thing.  

But let's get back to the main theme of your thread instead of side-tracking it.
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 10:49

brovo gcle2003, I totally agree with your points

Though I must remind that Confucious does not focus too heavily on polictic alone, his primary focus will be on "relationships" and "interaction" in our society. Of course, politic will be one of manisfication of human interactions.
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 19:42
The "Art of War" implies to me that war and peace are the same; managing the one and the many is the same. Her guiding principles don't change, it is the turmoil of human mind that causes the glitch.

Pericles wrote:
"The way History is taught in schools is guided by the goverment". Generally correct, I'd prefer to say that it carries a certain ideological message tied to the idea of the "nation" of the particular culture.

"...i was in Turkey and i was discussing with a Turkish student for politics and history and she was telling things totaly different from what i was taught at school."  Well, yes, of course. You go to Turkey and expect to hear our version of what happened? Look at my statement above. I bet she was equally surprised that our own schools taught such a different reality than she had been accustomed toWink 

"To tell the truth I think that ancient philosophical systems are superior if we can say that". I like to think that the process of human knowledge is like a layered cake: each of the layers is sitting on top and supported by the one below. The ancients laid a great foundation that has been built upon and expanded and applied to the new circumstances. Think of Froyd, i.e. The ancients of course detected mental illness but had no way  to treat it, they observed it and recorded  it. Froyd contruscted (or at least that was his goal) the  pathways of mental illness in an unprecedent way. Of course the inquisitive spirit of science and the scientific method of experimentation and data gathering had been established by the ancient Greeks, as you correctly state, 2000-something years ago. But if any of them had been around in the time of Froyd (not to mention today), I'd bet he'd sit  right down to do some neccessary  catching up!

I too think that generally speaking Western educational institutions are very liberal and politically correct, sometimes to the point of becoming annoying. This is partially due to the fact that the scientific community is recognizing now the bias of the past and how they were constructed (with religion, Europe-centrism, and class division being the main culprits). Our educational institutions are scrambling to  adjust and this had lead to a process of revision of EVERYTHING which some times leads to extremes.
Every voice is given credit these days,  no matter how outrageous the claim.
I'll mention a little story to you: I work the door at a bar and meet a lot of people. One night this rather unattractive black girl started to chat me up while I was standing there. "So,  where are you from?", she asked at some point detecting my slight accent.
"Greece", I replied, at the same time wondering whether this is the time to ask for my bathroom brake in order to basically get away from her. It was busy at the time, though, with people coming in steadily and everyone else busy behind the bar. I was stuck.
"Is that it?" I heard her chirp behind my ear.
"Is that what?"
"Just Greek? You can't just be one thing!"
"That's what my mama and papa told me" I replied, trying to hide my annoyance with a joke.
"Honey, you're the TRUE African. You've got Africa in you and the Greek civilization came from Africa", she claimed with the attitude and rightneousness of a scholar.
"Yeah, it was influenced by Egypt and the M. East; but there ain't no african genes in today's Greeks", I said non-challantly.
"Says who?", she said with a raised tone of voice.
"Genetic studies. Look, I don't think this conv.."
"Studies by WHOM? White folks?". I felt that this is war.
"Look, Greek civilization is tied to the emergence of the polis, the city-state. Without it we don't know if the Greek "achievement" would be possible. Nowhere in Africa there's a similar social development to set a precedent ..."
"Greeks took EVERYTHING from the Egyptians!", she held fast.
When I mentioned that this was not true, that even if it were ancient Egyptian was closer to Semitic than sub-Saharan languages, that the Greek cities were not theocracies but a totaly different social organization than Egypt I became to her a lost soul blinded by "whitey" propaganda. The claims I made backed by evidence did not matter since they were all constructions of the white establisment in her mind. The worst part, it turned out that she was the assistant head of the Black Studies Department in a local college!

The truth always lies somewhere in the midlle between extremes. Lets not forget this basic premise just because we're defending a progressive cause.

Edited by konstantinius - 14-Sep-2006 at 20:58
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 23:00
I don't understand the reasoning behind afro-centrism.

how can ideas or "civilization" simply be "stolen" as if it dispossesed the progenator completely, while transfering this intangible wealth to the plunderer.

That's like saying you stole answers from me on a math test, and it emptied my head in the process, and so I can never do math again.

haha, I don't think so.

Anyway, if abominations like Afro-centrism are promoted, it's not hard to see how the teaching of history is now taking a very negative view of Western achievements.

Edited by Hrothgar - 14-Sep-2006 at 23:02
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 01:49
"Honey, you're the TRUE African. You've got Africa in you and the Greek civilization came from Africa"

You know, I also encountered similar story during my university years. An African student told me modern history is written by White and its therefore bias basically. He is a strong supporter (and an researcher too!!!) of Afrocentrism and claim that people of most advanced civilizations had genetic traces from Africa. For example, during his visit in Southern China, he saw some Chinese had very dark skin and similar hair texture and facial features that are also akin to Black Africans. Based on this fact, he said Chinese civilization is connected to that of Africa! Likewise, he said Egypt IS a BLACK civilization. 
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:10

Black civilization had its triumphs thats forsure. However, to say that Black civilization was so prominent in say Greece is pure crap. Even in Egypt, there is this myth that Egypt was black. Sure the Ethiopians invaded Egypt and established their own dyansty, Egyptians are Hametic. Hametic peoples include Chaldeans, Egyptians Arabs (Arabs are Semitic and hametic) and Nubians (Nubians were black).

There are black people today living in places like Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Indian and throughout South East Asia. Black tribes had settled these areas and have been there for a long time.

Anyway Chinese philosophy ruins China. Chinese philosophy had great weight in places like Korea and China. hot these nations were unable to resist the western enroachment. These nations were reactionary. Korea in particular was extremely reactionary. Queen Min her self is not to be admired in my opinions because she her self resisted the outside while her husband. In China, technological advancement was abandoned because of this idea of returning to the tradition...it did nether any good in my opinion. To say it is superior is utter non sense.

I believe Asian and Western civilization at their cores are equal. I think there are other civilizations on this planet that need some catching up with us.

Hrothgar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hrothgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:32
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 03:01
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Chinese philosopy is not similiar to Greek. It is in many ways similiar to Indian

I don't think there's a Indian equivalent to Confucianism, is there? (Maybe there is.)

Buddhist philosophy is common to both cultures, but since it originated in India, I tend to see it as Indian.

But apart from Buddhism, Chinese philosophy seems to me to usually have a much more practical end in view than Indian, or indeed Greek apart possibly from Aristotle. It seems to be driven, even in the Tao, not so much by a desire for truth ('philosophy' proper), but by a desire to achieve results.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 03:51

Originally posted by Loknar

Black civilization had its triumphs thats forsure. However, to say that Black civilization was so prominent in say Greece is pure crap. Even in Egypt, there is this myth that Egypt was black. Sure the Ethiopians invaded Egypt and established their own dyansty, Egyptians are Hametic. Hametic peoples include Chaldeans, Egyptians Arabs (Arabs are Semitic and hametic) and Nubians (Nubians were black).

There are black people today living in places like Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Indian and throughout South East Asia. Black tribes had settled these areas and have been there for a long time.

'Black' - apart from being a misnomer because no human skin is actually black - is loosely and arbitrarily applied. Shaekspeare describes Othello as 'black' while also describing him as a 'Moor' - i.e. from Mauretania: he obviously meant just darker than most.

So the fact that there are 'black' people in many parts of the world from Melanesia to West Africa does not indicate they're particularly related - except as fellow members of homo sapiens. We don't consider white Pyreanean mountain dogs as belonging to the same breed as white poodles.

Even in Africa, the Yoruba, the Masai, the Kikuyu, the Tswana and the bushmen aren't particularly closely related.

Edited by gcle2003 - 15-Sep-2006 at 03:57
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 07:40
KOnstantinious u r absolutely right. The truth is somewhere in between.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 10:50

For a comparison between China and Greece achievements, this is my personal oppinion. But first I would like to say there is no PEOPLE superior to any others, but certain CULTURES have a greater development that other at some point of history, and  then shine.

Let's compare Greece and China in the following topics. I repeat, this is a personal opinion so I accept corrections:

(1) Phylosophy and theological though:

a) Chineses: they developed basically two schools of though: Taoism and Confusionism. The first one is mistical and based in the principles of ying and yang, the second was pragmatic and oriented to the state management. Most of chinese phylosophy evolved around those schools of though. It is a refined phylosophy basic in empiric observations.

b) Greeks: They developed a "scientific" methodical phylosophy that made the basis of modern science. Some of the achievement of Greek phylosophy can be found in the study of Natural Sciences, the development of Logic, political theories, abstract cosmologies, and paradoxes. It was the first proto-scientific phylosophy ever developed. Modern science derivates of Greek phylosophy.

(2) Mathematics 

(a) Chineses: Practical mathematics, with some ingenious solutions to specific problems.

(b) Greeks: The developed of the concept of "mathematical proof" and the introduction of the axions. The development of abstract geometry, convertion of algebraic problems in geometrical, the discovery of the parabolics, the integration of the sphere, trigonometry and the early methods of calculus. Most of what followed was developed upon Greek Mathematics, including Indian and Arab Middle Ages contributions.

(3) Physical science

(a) Chinese: Empirical and methodical. Advances in chemestry, particularly in the development of gunpowder.

(b) Greek: Development of the mathematical model applied to science. Advanced astronomy based in mathematical models of the cosmos. Development of surgery and the methods of modern medicina. Formulas applied to hydraulics and others fields. Model science is based in Greek developments.

(4) Engineering and inventions

(a) Chineses developed a large array of very "unusual" developments, such as paper, the magnetic compass, printing, paper and lots of other more that contributed to bring the world out of the Middle Ages. That's perhaps the main chinese contribution to mankind so far.

(b) Greeks developed clockworks, hidraulic and pneumatic devices that are the base of most mechanical gadgets we use today, from hydraulic pumps to cranes. The most outstanding engineers were Archimedes and Hero of Alexandria.

(5) Politics

(a) Chineses developed the concept of good government bases in the phylosophy of confusionism.

(b) Greek invented the concept of democracy and free elections. They developed the theory of politics, sociology and similar.

(6) Classic literature

Both literatures have its own merits, so we can't say one is better than the other.

(7) Arts

(a) Greek art was objective an looked for the beauty in the reality of the representation. It was based in the phylosophical ideal of beauty.

(b) Chinese art looked for the harmony of the representation. It was based in the phylosophical taoist school, expressed like the right balance.

(8) Architecture

(a) Greek architecture looked for the creation of public spaces build in stone and marble. The glory was for the city. The bigger the better. Some of the most outstanding works are things like temples and public theatres.

(b) Chinese architecture is delicated and made mainly of wood. Its better works were done for the Emperor enjoyment, and also the architecture of temples was important.

I hope that helps.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 23-Oct-2006 at 11:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2006 at 11:12

I do.

Black folks in the Western world, particularly in the U.S., don't want to accept theirs ancestors came from an underdeveloped region: Subsaharan Africa. They preffer to invent themselves a different past; a glorious past.

It is a pitty because Subsaharan Africa it has an interesting past of its own.

Pinguin

King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 09:15

how can ideas or "civilization" simply be "stolen" as if it dispossesed the progenator completely, while transfering this intangible wealth to the plunderer.

That's like saying you stole answers from me on a math test, and it emptied my head in the process, and so I can never do math again.

haha, I don't think so.

Anyway, if abominations like Afro-centrism are promoted, it's not hard to see how the teaching of history is now taking a very negative view of Western achievements.
 I think the one who stole answers were the Whities who stole from Greeks and Romans, and the Greeks and Romans from Egyptians.  Come on, when Egyptians were building pyramids, the Whities in Europe were making loin cloth.  By the way why is Europe even a continent if India is the Subcontinent. 
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>