Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Europe?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Europe?
    Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 13:54
Ok the Middle East will never be ontop. Only the oil is gone, whatever power and wealth they have now will be gone.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 14:01

get ready for azimuth's speech on the "rapid development of the Middle East"...

go to the thread about osama and oil to read what he has to say about it

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 14:25
lol, rapid expansion? Remember when Islam had the wealth and power during the Dark Ages? All they accomplished was building greater mosques and recopying ancient greek and roman work. Not much human advancement when they had the chance. But, that has nothing to do with oil and the current situation so.
-Jc
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 14:56

Originally posted by Christscrusader

lol, rapid expansion? Remember when Islam had the wealth and power during the Dark Ages? All they accomplished was building greater mosques and recopying ancient greek and roman work. Not much human advancement when they had the chance. But, that has nothing to do with oil and the current situation so.

you are talking like the "ancien greek and roman work" was pure greek or roman

they took it from the older Egypt and the persians

they took it developed it and Arabs took it from greek and developed it

arabs took many knowledge from the Indians

dont say Indians took your work too

and from your earlier post about being ontop

you dont know the future even with your crystal ball

and i didnt say the middel east is developing only i said the east 

i mentioned china and india too

or all you can read is the middel east???

dont worry 'if' we became strong we will be nice  

anyway this thread is about  Europe  not any other

i just put my opinion and it angered you for some reason

it is history man nobody keep that position when you reach the top there is no way but going down.

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 15:11

Reminder to all - this topic has the possibility for some intelligent, introspective examination of historic cultural comparison. It also has the possibility to sink rapidly into a flame war as so many others have.  Trolling and/or inflammatory comments (one liners intended only to elicit an angry response), insults and denigration of individuals or groups will not be tolerated.  This is a forum for the discussion of history, not a place for you to indulge in your personal prejudices.  Individuals posting inflamatory or offensive material will be addressed by the moderators.

To the topic:  All cultures go through periods of openness and periods of isolation.  Cultures that remain isolationist or inward looking for too long tend to begin to stagnate economically, politically and intellectually.  Once a culture reaches the stage of development that it thinks that no one else has anything to offer it (as mentioned above), the danger of stagnation and the asscociated eventual decline is there.  Openness tends to lead to cultural interaction and communication between cultures, which often enriches all parties.  Outward looking cultures, those seeking new ideas and welcoming change will often find a sudden flowering of intellectual activity, as was the case during the Rennaissance in Europe. Of course not all of Europe welcomed these new ideas all of the time, but enough ideas were brought in that the culture made some extraordinary leaps in the progression of ideas. 

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2004 at 18:22
Originally posted by vagabond

Reminder to all - this topic has the possibility for some intelligent, introspective examination of historic cultural comparison. It also has the possibility to sink rapidly into a flame war as so many others have.  Trolling and/or inflammatory comments (one liners intended only to elicit an angry response), insults and denigration of individuals or groups will not be tolerated.  This is a forum for the discussion of history, not a place for you to indulge in your personal prejudices.  Individuals posting inflamatory or offensive material will be addressed by the moderators.

Thanks for that. It is an interesting topic but not one I can contribute to without rather more thinking about it.

Generally though I agreed with the rest of your post. However it was concerned with why various cultures flourish from time to time, and it didn't really get to the specific factors that triggered the age of European expansion and dominance.

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 00:28
Originally posted by azimuth

and roman work" was pure greek or roman

Hrm, i didnt realize DEMOCRACY was borrowed from the Egyptians and Persians. I didn't realize ideas such as the earth was round came from Egypt or Persia either. Call me crazy tho.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 04:44

Hrm, i didnt realize DEMOCRACY was borrowed from the Egyptians and Persians. I didn't realize ideas such as the earth was flat came from Egypt or Persia either. Call me crazy tho.

is it a good thing to believe the earth is flat???
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 12:14

Hrm, i didnt realize DEMOCRACY was borrowed from the Egyptians and Persians. I didn't realize ideas such as the earth was flat came from Egypt or Persia either. Call me crazy tho.

i dont know if what you mentioned is Greek 100% or not, i wont argue that 

i just wanted to say everybody took or borrowed something from each other and some developed it and some took it as it is. Egypitans are much older than greek and they were advanced in their life style.

GREEK Borrowed from others  Too

arabs took and transilated the Greek work and developed it and made it more global ( arabs are the one who took the Greek knowledge to Europe)

it wasnt REcopy.

any way there is much more than "great mosques and rewrite Greek work" and arabs borrowed alot from NONE Greek and developed it

and alot of inventions are pure arabic

and that is FACT 

whatever you say wont change the FACTs

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 17:10

it is true that there were periods where Asia was more powerful than Europe.  However, they did not dominate the world.  there power was excercised in their relative sphere of influences, which were sometimes rather large, but never close to a globabl scale.  for the 500 or so years that Europe has been powerful, in has dominated the world.  other powers, such as India and China, have recently begun to emerge.  it seems, however, that Europe (and America) has implanted itself so firmly into the global arena that, while other countries may increase their power, Europe will never completely removed from this position of dominance.  we have never seen anything similar to this so you cannot compare this to the "continual cycles of civilizations", no one has firmly established themselves in the position that Europe elevated itself to.

alright you're now free to critique and rip apart my statements

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2004 at 22:08
Originally posted by Murph

it is true that there were periods where Asia was more powerful than Europe.  However, they did not dominate the world.  there power was excercised in their relative sphere of influences, which were sometimes rather large, but never close to a globabl scale.  for the 500 or so years that Europe has been powerful, in has dominated the world.  other powers, such as India and China, have recently begun to emerge.  it seems, however, that Europe (and America) has implanted itself so firmly into the global arena that, while other countries may increase their power, Europe will never completely removed from this position of dominance.  we have never seen anything similar to this so you cannot compare this to the "continual cycles of civilizations", no one has firmly established themselves in the position that Europe elevated itself to.

History repeats it self

But off course not exactly  with the same peope or the same locations or the same strength (there is always something different)

it just change

iam not adding anything new here

Many empires and kingdoms were considered impossible to break or become weak when they were at their height and glory

but they did break and someone els took their position

it just a matter of time

Edited by azimuth
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 15:15

"for the 500 or so years that Europe has been powerful, in has dominated the world."

The mongol empire at their height controlled everything from Korea to Germany.  Is that not world-wide dominance?  Or China during the Ming dynasty where it's fleet patrolled and maintained outposts from Australia to East Africa?  When you speak of world-wide dominance, you have to realize that the civilizations of antiquity didn't have a full map of the earth as we have now.  Given their knowledge of the "known" world, many great civilizations have dominated the world.   In fact, the Earth was only fully mapped by the early 20th century.  A complete map of the world excluding antarctica was only obtained by the mid 19th century.  Prior to that time, nations only had incomplete maps of the world.  The Europeans dominated the world in the last 2 centuries(not 500 years), because, the technology need to explore, map, and colonize the inhospitable regions of the world only became available after the industrial revolution had occured.  And Europe just happend to launch the industrial revolution. 

"Europe will never completely removed from this position of dominance."

Let's suppose for a moment that for the next 500 years, Europeans maintain their demographic hold on the Americas and Austrialia, what could possibly happen?  Well, for one thing, the worlds of this solar system would well be colonized by man.  And if the civilizations of this colonization front just happens to be non-european cultures, what then happens to European dominance?  Will European cultures grow stagnant and backwards?  It could very well happen, it has certainly happend in the past(Dark ages).  History is cyclical, the same stories repeat themselves with different actors and props.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2004 at 17:43

Ok, Since you already think that you had a weak argument I will try to help you negate that. The concept what the world means has changed throughout the ages. You could easily argue that ancient and classical middle easterners did dominate the world, but their world did not include Europe. Someday the world may mean other planets and people could argue that Europeans did not dominate the world in the 500 years you are referring to.

Going back to the original question. It is much easier to analyze the come about of the original civilizations, when few people around the rivers moved from hunter-gatherer life to agriculture based society that helped them settle down in cities and freed up some people to do other kind of works not directly related to survival. Such as, priests and scientists. However, It is much more complex to analyze why the center of civilizations has been in constant move. There are as many theories as there are civilizations, and I think some of them actually maybe right

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 12:43

Murph has a point, though I would reduce his 500 years to merely 200. 

I disagree that you can argue against him because the notion "the world" changes - if Brudobert controls his village and has no knowledge whatsoever about the rest of the world - is he then dominating the world? Antarctica matters about as much as the centre of the moon, since the places are currently unhabitable. In these matters, I believe it's quite understood that "the world" means "the world populated by men". Using this as a counterargument is semanthics, IMHO.

PS,it would be nice if xenophon2000 could provide any evidence of permanent Chinese outposts in Australia and East Africa, because I've never heard of that.

PPS, half-fantasy books as "1421:The Year..." doesn't count.

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 18:34
I would argue that the reason Europe pulled ahead because they found new and interesting ways to use gunpowder.  The Chinese made fireworks.  The Europeans made guns.  Europe is also far more expansionist than most other powers.  The only thing that stopped the Romans were eithger terrain (Atlantic Ocean, Sahara Desert) or people they couldn't beat (Parthians, Germans).  After the Middle Ages they begane to regain confidence, began expanding again, and had the ability to go through those boundries.  They had gained a technological edge.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 21:20

Well the Chinese did have oodles of guns and cannons starting from the Ming Dynasty or perhaps even a few decades before (What? Did you think the Chinese fought the British Navy by throwing rocks?).

Some one made the comment that China did not have the power to dominate the world. During the Ming Dynasty, China had the ability to field millions of soldiers. The capital alone was defended by a million men and many of them were armed with gunpowder weapons. No European nation, or even a combined ethnicity, could field more than 30,000 men armed with swords and spears at the same time. The reason why China did not conquer the world, and they did have the power to do so, was because the world could not offer them. Everything they needed and wanted was already at home.

Someone else made the comment that Europe, and the west in general, will always be superior. The second, third, and fourth highest GDPs belong to China, Japan, and India, respectively. China has a GDP second only to the United States, larger than Germany, France, and the United Kingdom combined. Wealth = power. China and India have among the largest armies in the world, and it is no longer the case that they are armed with outdated equipment. China as well as certain other Oriental nations, have some of the most modern armies in the world. The whole of Europe will be hard-pressed to even keep up with China in the immediate future.

I'm not even Chinese and I realize how the west is fading. If the United States doesn't pull itself together, it might be surpassed as well.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 15:55

How did europe come to dominate the entire world?

I highly recommend the book Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond in which the author attempts (with much success) to scientifically explain this question. Factors like geography, domestication of foods and animals and writing all play a part.

Edited by Connecticut Yankee
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 17:54

Also remember not to treat the european sucess of the last 500 years as the definative world event, its not, and in the future people outside the western world will likley dominate again, just because something is in power now doenst mean it will be forever.  Just as people living in Tang dynasty China probably assumed China would always lead the world are were wrong, so are people who say the west will keep up its lead are wrong.

Also, anyone who argues the reasons power is where it is has a cultural explanation is a fool.  Aside from meaningless little things like how you eat your food which we call culture, people around the world are all the same, power hungry, greedy, commercial, and militant.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 19:38
Originally posted by Tobodai

Also, anyone who argues the reasons power is where it is has a cultural explanation is a fool.  Aside from meaningless little things like how you eat your food which we call culture, people around the world are all the same, power hungry, greedy, commercial, and militant.

yes, but the culture can control the degree that those thigns are expressed.

post-Exploration age European culture encouraged worldwide trade and colonization

Confucian China discouraged worldwide trade

so the culture can affect the power of a civilization
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 01:05
only after the civilization os fully evolved as much as the natural world will allow it, yes your right.  Its sad really, people always act less rationally once they reach the point they can make harmfull but 'moral' decisions.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>