Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

which is the most realistic pc game about

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which is the most realistic pc game about
    Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 00:42
i think medieval total war 2
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
bagelofdoom View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bagelofdoom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 01:19
MTW II isn't out yet, according to gamespot, its slated for release in november.  It seems somewhat presumptuous to call it the most realistic game already.  I personally would say that a computer game has very little cause to be historically accurate.  Often, the need to create a challenge trumps realism (how many times playing the first MTW have provinces with perfect loyalty ratings rebelled just as you started a different war?). 

Also, in the end, you always know way, way more than any hostorical figure would.   A truly realistic computer game would have you lay plans, and have the computer execute them, dealing with chalenges as they came up, just like a historical general.  Wouldn't that be fun?  We want to be in control of everything, which is entirely unrealistic. 

Historical realism doesn't sell and isn't that entertaining to play.  A well balanced and designed computer game does and is. 
BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Quote BigL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 02:07
I think in a Historical Battle Sense the Total war series is Incredibally realistic.It has allowed me to understand military history so well .
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 05:13
The TW series is so terrible in accuracy. If you call MTW or M2TW accurate then you should revise your meaning of accuracy. As bagelofdoom stated, there are no accurate games of history, but I think the one that has the most accuracy is the SH series. They have made it very simple; they have pictured the way of peasants as they did indeed work (take the garbage in SH2 for example. don't clean it and die) so. Also, pretty impressive is NotRE (Celtic Kings: Punic Wars or Nemesis of the Roman Empire) at the campaigns.

But TW series are all (can't talk about Shogun) unaccurate in their basic and simple points. Romans using archers, pheww.
Evrenosgazi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Evrenosgazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 05:14
I thinbk Europa universalis2 is the most realistic history game. Diplomacy,economy,war..all are terrific
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 12:27

With no doubt Stronghold Crusader

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
tsar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Suspended

Quote tsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 18:27
I have no words for the creators of M2TW. Terrible accuracy.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by rider

The TW series is so terrible in accuracy. If you call MTW or M2TW accurate then you should revise your meaning of accuracy. As bagelofdoom stated, there are no accurate games of history, but I think the one that has the most accuracy is the SH series. They have made it very simple; they have pictured the way of peasants as they did indeed work (take the garbage in SH2 for example. don't clean it and die) so. Also, pretty impressive is NotRE (Celtic Kings: Punic Wars or Nemesis of the Roman Empire) at the campaigns.

But TW series are all (can't talk about Shogun) unaccurate in their basic and simple points. Romans using archers, pheww.

Let's not forget the faction colors in RTW. They are the dumbest thing I have every seen implemented in a video game. There were never green legionarries, or pink horse archers. The faction colors are just plain stupid, as you can recognize your units by their banners. Also, I would have to say another horribly unrealistic game is Age of Empires II. I mean, swordsmen destorying stone walls? Archers shooting over a stone wall to hit an enemy?  Let us not forget archers that are able to carry thousands of arrows, and skirmishers that carry hundreds of spears.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Aug-2006 at 23:53
I would recommend to you the series of games by Paradox based on the Europa Universalis engine. From this you can get whichever time period you want: Crusader Kings from 1066-1453, Europa Universalis II from 1419-1819, Victoria for the 19th century, Hearts of Iron for the first half of the 20th. It's about the most historically accurate you'll ever get in a title. Of course, if you want things a little more specialized - there's Patrician III for northern Europe in the 1300s, there's a very nice little Bulgarian game called Knights of Honour that I am very partial to, dealing with medieval Europe, and I'm sure that many of you can come up with things along the same line. There are a good number of games published by Paradox that are good historical games. Take Command, I have heard, is good for the American Civil War. Try www.paradoxplaza.com or www.gamersgate.com
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:10
Is Age Of Kings a good game?
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:18
Not really, no. Knights of Honor is much more historically accurate. (see www.knights-of-honor.net)
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 00:24
ok, thanks.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 15:49
have you played Hearts of Iron 2? if you didnt,go buy now.one of the best strategies.ww2 you can be all nations at that time.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 16:23
I, too, endorse the Paradox games, particularly Europa Universalis II.  It is by far the best historical game I have seen.  There are mods made by various users that increase the historical accuracy, in particular the AGCEEP mod.  I have learned a ton of history by playing some of the little countries in that game.

I will also point out that Knights of Honor never reached its full potential, as the developer stopped patching it while it still had significant flaws.  There are some user mods to help it, but there are problems nonetheless.  It is an enjoyable game to play, though.

Edited by DSMyers1 - 01-Sep-2006 at 16:25
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2006 at 17:27
This belongs in the Tavern
Member of IAEA
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 04:02
Even though AOE II and AOE II Conquerors were not that historically accurate, they had frigging excellant gameplay. Can't hold a candle to TW series graphics wise, but do they ever kick arse in gameplay.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 08:45
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Even though AOE II and AOE II Conquerors were not that historically accurate, they had frigging excellant gameplay. Can't hold a candle to TW series graphics wise, but do they ever kick arse in gameplay.

Yes, that is very true.

Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 16:02
medieval total war 2 would be super cool and accurate i guess.mtw 1 made me feel the mediecal ages very well.his successor will be great!!!
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 17:07
You speak of it as it is a person. Well, it is not.

And as far as accuracy, why should it be accurate when neither of the TW's is? They go for gameplay, not accuracy. That is why there are mods like EB nd Total Realism.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2006 at 04:28
you cant say Hearts of Iron was inaccurate it is legendary...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>