Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHistorical maps of the Vlachs regions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical maps of the Vlachs regions
    Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 10:05
Originally posted by Maria d.

The earliest known examples of written Aromanian are manuscripts of the Patriarch Fotius dating from around 860-870 AD, and manuscripts written by St. Naum of Ohrid at about the same time.
Can anyone present excerpts from these? I've encountered this claim on several sites but without a single evidence.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 10:15
Originally posted by Menumorut

and to think Aromanians and the rest of Greeks are different would be a nonsence for him and to the big majority of the Aromanians in Greece untill the Balkan Wars period when some of them followed the Romanian point of you

They do that for preserving their identity because afirming they are not Greeks would lead to a greater pressure of assimilation by the oficialities in Greece. Don't you see that only you, the Greeks, consider Aromanians Greeks but all the rest of the world have a different opinion?

this is nonsense...
Menumorut,you should realise that those Aromanians who didn't have Greek conscience made their choice and left Greece.They made their decision to adopt the Romanian identity.These people were a fraction of the overall vlachophone population of Greece
On the other hand the vlachs that stayed in Greece wanted to be Greeks just like all their other compatriots.They had Greek conscience.Why don't you respect their choice?Can you tell me?
You should know that the vlachs were among the founding "members" of the modern Greek state.How could they be a minority/alien population in the state they helped to create and establish?They paid the very existence of this state with their blood.Do you know how many vlachs gave their lives for the existence of this state,fighting not only against the turks but also against the italians in the recent past during the italian occupation?Many generals of the Greek resistance were vlachs.
The first prime minister of Greece(the doctor and politician Ioannis Kolletis from Syrraco) was a vlach,did you know that?Wink

Edited by nikodemos - 06-Nov-2006 at 10:19
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 11:05
Menumorut
Don't you know that most of theHellenophon population of Ellada (today Greece) was exterminated during the early Middle Age? Peloponissos, Thessalia and the other areas were Slav speaking sometimes, then Byzantine emperors recolonized them with Hellenophones from Minor Asia.

Menumorut I understand that when you speak to a Greek you will try to proove that Greeks are not Greeks because you have anything other to say negative  for Greek history(there are).
But before I give you some links I want to ask you something.Do you really believe what you have writen???? Do you really believe that we are hellenised Slavs?? When you think a greek look how it is??? Blond,tall,blue eyes.white skin??? I suppose no because it isn't like this.The average Greek is totaly different with medium height,brown eyes,brown hair,skin light brown(I mean not light as our neighbors but not dark as our eastern,middleastern "neighbors.
I suppose that you've read it a propagandistic antigreek site(there are many). But before you post something think better.
In our language there are about 25-35 slavicShocked words almost all about agriculture and pastoral life. The toponyms which were the argument of Fallmerayer(the original inventor of that theory who repeled by Greek and non-Greek historians,linguists,folklore scientists,anthropologists and genetists) are about 10-12% of the toponyms in Greece but all except one are not located near the coast where Greeks always were many within big numerous cities and only three town have slavic names. All the slavic toponyms are toponyms of small villages isolated up on the mountains.But Fallmerayer stoped his story and he didn't continued to say what happened to the Slavs. My city(Patras) alone managed to repel the Slav attacks ALONE, imagine a city to repel a hypothetical huge slavic population... Emperors deported a huge amount of Slavs of Macedonia and Thrace to Bithynia and Macedonia managed to keep its Greek majority.
Now in Peloponnesos where I am from "welcomed" two slavic tribes:the Ezerites and the Milingoi. As I said before the Slavs of Peloponnesus attacked Patras and when they defeated  they became vassals of Saint Andreas church(he is the protector of the city,here he crussified by the Romans) and untill today we call a branch of 10 villages  in a near mountain Ezerochoria(Ezerites'  villages) just because they were isolated fro the Greek population which was the majority. The remains of Slavs in South Peloponnesus concetrated after Byzantine pressure in the western part of Taygetus mountains and Gortys mountains of Gortys in Arcadia. They survived as slavic-speaking until around 1400 showing that the Byzantine state didn't hellenise the Slavs but only christianised them.The hellenisation of the Slavs was a result of the Greeks around them which were the majority.Also you are right that the state brought Greeks(and not just Hellenophones) from Minor Asia and Magna Grecia also.

On the other hand Romanians have countless slavic words in your dictionary and the slavic input its obvious even facially.

Try these links to see some important things about that issue,see also the links and references of that article.
http://www.answers.com/topic/jakob-philipp-fallmerayer

In your post I see that you write Hellenophones and not Greeks,can you explain to me this alteration????

And look good in your links about Greeks and Aromanians photos. Ask an american friend to learn what is that "greek weekend"Wink and who are those "greeks".Are these brothers in the 8th photo Greeks?????

Edited by Patrinos - 06-Nov-2006 at 11:14
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 13:18
Menumorut,you should realise that those Aromanians who didn't have Greek conscience made their choice and left Greece.

This maybe is a Greek dream (all the minorities to leave Greece).
Why should they leave the land where they are oldest inhabitants than the Greeks?

They made their decision to adopt the Romanian identity

I repeat that Aromanians in Romania didn't adopted Romanian identity but Aromanian identity. But even they would adopt an identity like Romanian, should they leave Greece?

These people were a fraction of the overall vlachophone population of Greece

Their opinion is not relevant but the historical truth. This theoreticaly because practicaly I'm convinced that Aromanians don't think they are Greeks and don't want to be Greeks.

How could they be a minority/alien population in the state they helped to create and establish?

In Romania too several non-Romanians contributed to the Romanian national State ideal. For example the music of the national anthem is composed (specialy for a patriotic poem which in 1990 became national anthem) by the famous Roma musician Anton Pann (born in Bulgaria) and thre most famous patriotic painting of 19th century is painted by a Jew:

Do you know how many vlachs gave their lives for the existence of this state,fighting not only against the turks but also against the italians in the recent past during the italian occupation?

Were they regular soldiers or not?

The first prime minister of Greece(the doctor and politician Ioannis Kolletis from Syrraco) was a vlach,did you know that?

I think is normal, if he was competent. In Romania there are Hungarian ministers or of other nationalities.

Do you really believe that we are hellenised Slavs??

Is bad to be Slav? I think that I have some Slav blood.

The average Greek is totaly different with medium height,brown eyes,brown hair,skin light brown(I mean not light as our neighbors but not dark as our eastern,middleastern "neighbors.

I put that Google image search pages were anybody could see that there is not a Greek typology. Brown hair, moderate brown skin have any people at the same geographical latitude.

Slavs, after establishing in Greece, due to the climate became dark haired and dark eyed.

In our language there are about 25-35 slavicShocked words almost all about agriculture and pastoral life.

When they got hellenized they did that because they considered Greek culture superior. No reason to preserves Slav words.

he toponyms which were the argument of Fallmerayer(the original inventor of that theory who repeled by Greek and non-Greek historians,linguists,folklore scientists,anthropologists and genetists) are about 10-12% of the toponyms in Greece but all except one are not located near the coast where Greeks always were many within big numerous cities and only three town have slavic names.

I think I must listen to Nikodemos, he seems better documented and more objective.
Anyway, I would like to hear how many Slavs do you believe came to Greece and what happened to them? Did they mixed with Greeks? Did they make Greeks abandon the territories?

On the other hand Romanians have countless slavic words in your dictionary and the slavic input its obvious even facially.

And this is very good, I think. Anyway, I'm interested which are the Slav facial characteristics.

http://www.answers.com/topic/jakob-philipp-fallmerayer

The fact that Fallmerayer was not a true scientist doesn't make untrue the fact that Greeks in Greece are the result of hellenization of Slavs, at least in a measure.

nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 15:36

This maybe is a Greek dream (all the minorities to leave Greece).
Why should they leave the land where they are oldest inhabitants than the Greeks?

Do you understand what i am writing?
Did i say that that any minorities should leave Greece?
The pro-Romanian vlachs left Greece freewillingly,nobody obliged these people to leave
nobody put pressure on them to leave.They made their decision and left.Things are simple.The vlachs of Greece are not a minority of course.

Oldest inhabitants than the Greeks?What does this mean?I can't follow you here.

I repeat that Aromanians in Romania didn't adopted Romanian identity but Aromanian identity. But even they would adopt an identity like Romanian, should they leave Greece?

The decision was theirs.Nobody put pressure on them to leave.But they left.Today these Romanian nationals can be whatever they want to be,Romanians,Aromanians whatever...

Their opinion is not relevant but the historical truth. This theoreticaly because practicaly I'm convinced that Aromanians don't think they are Greeks and don't want to be Greeks.

How are you convinced.Have you spoken with vlachs of Greece,have you asked them if they feel Greeks or not?If you had asked them you would realise that 99,99..% of the vlach speaking Greeks feel Greeks
and are Greeks.
You speak as a nationalist

In Romania too several non-Romanians contributed to the Romanian national State ideal. For example the music of the national anthem is composed (specialy for a patriotic poem which in 1990 became national anthem) by the famous Roma musician Anton Pann (born in Bulgaria) and thre most famous patriotic painting of 19th century is painted by a Jew:

the vlachs at the time when the Greek state was established were not non-greeks.They regarded themselves Greeks and they were Greeks.

Were they regular soldiers or not?

During the Greek Independence war there were few regular soldiers.The Revolution started in your land,in Wallachia
by Lord Alexandros Ypsilantis (descendant of a noble byzantine family).He was an officer of the Russian army,he gathered voluntiers and Greek students from
all over Europe and formed the Sacred Band.Apart from this regular unit there were bands of irregulars.Their leaders were mostly vlachs like Georgios Olympios and Ioannis Farmakis.
These irregulars were the personal bodyguards  of Ypsilantis.I assume that you know what happened next.The revolution was crushed by the turks,Olympios blew himself up in a monastery when the turks entered to arrest him
and Alexandros Ypsilantis was arrested by the Austrians.It is worth noting that the wallachians didn't help at all and caused problems to the revolution.
During the War of Independence in Greece there were many vlachs in charge of irregular units.Many died in Mesolonghi when it was besieged by the turks and at the time of the sortie.

The vlachs were regular soldiers during the Greco-italian war.Most of the first units that faced the first italian assaults were comprised of the local population of Epirus and Macdonia including many vlachs. During the German-Italian occupation the vlachs entered the Resistance,either the National Popular Liberation Army or the EDES.
Military general of the National Popular Liberation Army(guerillas) was General Sarafis who was himself of vlach origin.

Did they make Greeks abandon the territories?

No,they didn't.The slavs as i answered to you in a previous post were assimilated in the course of time by the most numerous surrounding Greeks
Let's end the discussion here.You have your opinion,i have mine,ok?

Edited by nikodemos - 06-Nov-2006 at 16:32
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 16:59
Is bad to be Slav? I think that I have some Slav blood.
Not at all ,in school I had a very good friend who was Ukranian and if all Slavs are like him trustworthy persons I admire them.

were anybody could see that there is not a Greek typology. Brown hair, moderate brown skin have any people at the same geographical latitude.

Slavs, after establishing in Greece, due to the climate became dark haired and dark eyed.
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Damn Byzantines!!!! So we were given brown contact lens and brown hair paint!!!!! That is HellenisationLOLLOL

When they got hellenized they did that because they considered Greek culture superior. No reason to preserves Slav words.
Don't forget that when they abandonded their slavic words they abandoned their slavic physical characteristics too!!!!LOL

Anyway, I would like to hear how many Slavs do you believe came to Greece and what happened to them? Did they mixed with Greeks? Did they make Greeks abandon the territories?
As its shown from the links I gave you the slavic input is about 10%(Vasiliev) in greek population a percentage that I agree and it can been seen in some areas recoded to have a slavic migration within(western Taygetus, Gortys mountains,Western Macedonia where there is a slavic speaking group,and in some isolated branch of villages in the greek mountains). No,Greeks didn't abandon the territories.As I noted the Slavs of all Peloponnesus(leaving back only small villages) concetrated in Western Taygetus,next to a special group of peoplewith doric mentality and conscience(as its shown in their songs,myths etc where they call themselves Spartiates and their new-born children Spartiatopoula,a group that kept according to Konstantinos Porphyrogennytos they kept the 12 god religion untill 10th century).
The presence of latin-speaking and slav-speaking(untill 1450recorded) groups within the greek lands between greek populations shows that the byzantine state didn't care to hellenise anyone,but only to christianize which in the slavs occasion happened  around the 10-11 century. So the hellenisation of the Slavs was a result of the surrounding greek enviroment..._

And this is very good, I think. Anyway, I'm interested which are the Slav facial characteristics.
If  I say that the slavic characteristics are brown hair,brown eyes,light brown skin,medium height will you believe me???Wink
As I said before I had an Ukranian classmate in school. In Greece we use an expression:"San tin myga mes sto gala" meaning "Like the fly in the milk".In my classmate's occasion between us we must change the expression and make it "Like the milk among the flies"Wink

The fact that Fallmerayer was not a true scientist doesn't make untrue the fact that Greeks in Greece are the result of hellenization of Slavs, at least in a measure.
So now you say in a measure!! Untill tommorow you will say that we are pure????Smile

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 17:12
The pro-Romanian vlachs left Greece freewillingly,nobody obliged these people to leave
nobody put pressure on them to leave.

There are not 'pro-Romanian' Vlachs. There were some Vlachs who decided to establish in Romania and other who remained in their native lands.

I know that nobody pressed them to leave but the preservation of their cultural identity is endangered due to assimilationist intentions of Greeks. They are in continuous numeric decrease and this is not only a natural phenomenon but a premeditated program of Greek State, the only State which ...has no minorities.

The vlachs of Greece are not a minority of course.

How that? How only in Greece the Aromanians are not a minority, but they are a minority in Albania, FYROM and Romania? get out of your fake dreams:

Council of Europe Aromanians Report.

Why don't you use the term Aromanians which is the name of this people used by them and by all European nations excepting Greeks?

Read this:
Greek activists claim that Aromanian derives from Greek, but this is not believed by scholars outside of Greece. As with all cultural matters in the Balkans, the question of the origins and relationships of the Aromanian language is a political question, and in Macedonia many active Vlachs are wary of associating themselves with the Romanian or Greek "propagandas" which have since the late 19th Century claimed in some manner that the Aromanians are "really" Romanian, or "really" Greek.
The independent Balkan Christian nations surrounding Macedonia saw it as a pie ready to be divided and consumed. There was a move for Macedonian independence, but it was small and poorly financed compared to the movements supported by nation-states. The Macedonian (Makedonski)-speaking people of what is now the Republic of Macedonia, of Bulgaria, and of Greece were the primary targets of what their descendants in the Republic of Macedonia now call "the propagandas." Bulgarians, who by now had an independent church called the "exarchate" and separate millet status within the Ottoman Empire, financed churches and schools throughout Macedonia to influence the population toward a Bulgarian "national consciousness." The Greeks, who inherited the millet of Rum, in their turn financed schools and churches influencing the people toward conceiving themselves as nationally "Greek" whatever their ethnic origin. A significant number of both Aromanians and Macedonian-speaking people in fact were so influenced.

In the Aromanian villages it was not the Bulgarians and Greeks who strived for the national consciousness of the Vlachs. It was the Romanians and the Greeks. The Greeks had the advantage of being a long-established, wealthy, commercial culture with a respected language and a dominant church. But some Aromanians, keeping in mind that their language is closer to Romanian than to any other living language in the Balkans, accepted the Romanian position that the Aromanians are really Romanians. The Romanians supported this position with money for schools and churches, but it was the Romanian language of Bucharest, rather than the Aromanian language of the Pelister villages, which was taught in schools and which formed the basis for the church services. The first Romanian-language school in the Aromanian world was established in Trnovo in 1864, but later in the 19th Century the split between Romanophile and Grecophile Aromanians turned bloody. One of our interviews mentions that the Greeks killed the Romanian teacher in Trnovo and then the people of that village could only attend the Greek school.

The Aromanians of Macedonia

See also
The Albanian Aromanians Awakening

Linguisticaly and genethicaly, Aromanians are totaly different than Greeks:

Oldest inhabitants than the Greeks?What does this mean?I can't follow you here.

That the Aromanians are the descendants of Illyrians, Macedonians and Thracians, who preceded Greeks in Balkans.

How are you convinced.Have you spoken with vlachs of Greece,have you asked them if they feel Greeks or not?If you had asked them you would realise that 99,99..% of the vlach speaking Greeks feel Greeks
and are Greeks.

They will awake from this lie of Greek propaganda.
Aromanian Vlachs: The Vanishing Tribes

the vlachs at the time when the Greek state was established were not non-greeks.They regarded themselves Greeks and they were Greeks.

Lie.
Aromanians played an important role in the independence wars of various Balkan countries: Bulgaria, Albania and Greece, against the Ottoman Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromanians

Edited by Menumorut - 06-Nov-2006 at 17:14

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 05:50
We have minority,the muslim whichis consisted by Ti\urks,Pomaks,Roma.
What other minorities do you have in mind??Arvanites and Aromanians????They fought for Greece and Hellenism and they struggle not to be characterised "minority" by the foreighn organisations,countries etc. The answer to what you say is the declare of the many Aromanian majors._What fake dreams???? Your dream is to have a Romanian minority within Greece,but its rather a joke when we talk with Aromanian friends.The Aromanians of Albania indentify as Greeks in majority.

What ridiculus genetics are these?? When Syrians became genetic brothers with Hungarians????LOLOLOLOL

That the Aromanians are the descendants of Illyrians, Macedonians and Thracians, who preceded Greeks in Balkans
The classic romanianinternet-propagandist theory.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 07:29

They will awake from this lie of Greek propaganda.
Aromanian Vlachs: The Vanishing Tribes

And suddenly you woke up....Welcome back to the real world

That the Aromanians are the descendants of Illyrians, Macedonians and Thracians, who preceded Greeks in Balkans.

Are you kidding me?
The pre-hellenic population of Greece were the Pelasgians,the Penestai and others.Why are you writing BS?
The pelasgians and the others were non Indo-European people while the Illyrians and the Thracians were Indo-European.The thracian language is believed to have been one of the closest to the Greek language,along with Phrygian and Armenian.This means that the Greeks,the Phrygians and the thracians-illyrians split from an older IE group after the invasion in the Balkans.

We can now take our development of the Indo-European family tree a stage further by splitting the Western sub-family into two and the Eastern initially into three,and then into five.The Western pair are Celto-Italic and Illyrian*.The initial three-way division of the Easterners is into Germanics and Balto-Slavics in the north,Greeks and Thracians in the south-west,and Aryans in the east.The reason why the Germanics then split offfrom the Balto-Slavics is plain to see: the Germanic Heimat,the Scandinavian archipelago, is a littoral ecosphere that could hardly stand in sharper contrast to the Balto-Slavic world with its simple shoreline and contnental focus.Much the same formulation applies to the Greeks and Thracians.Around the date of this map( that is 2250 BC) the Greeks established their seperate identity by moving into the peninsula they have occupied ever since: the original Graeco-Thracian Heimat, extending from the Axios to the Don, subsequently became the preserve of the Thracians.Beyond the Don lay the relatively harsh lands that sustained the as yet undivided Aryan stock.
Page 30 , Colin Mc Evedy, the New Penguin Atlas of ancient history, Penguin Books, second edition 2002

* It is worth noting that in the Greek mythology the Illyrian is the brother of the Celt and the Gaul

Edited by nikodemos - 07-Nov-2006 at 09:09
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 07:46
I forgot to note that these two websites Menumorut posted are websites by Aromanians who migrated to France and USA from  Greece and are totaly unacceptable by the big majority of Aromanians who haven't followed any propaganda but just followed  their historywhich is identical with the rest Greeks.
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 09:25
Originally posted by Maria d.

The earliest known examples of written Aromanian are manuscripts of the Patriarch Fotius dating from around 860-870 AD, and manuscripts written by St. Naum of Ohrid at about the same time.

In the Greek wikipedia is stated that the earliest written document in vlach is an inscription on an icon of Virgin Mary made by a certain Nektarios Terpos in 1731 in the village Ardenitsa,which is located somewhere in southern Albania.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 14:41
They fought for Greece and Hellenism and they struggle not to be characterised "minority" by the foreighn organisations,countries etc.

Romanians too helped Greece and Greeks. This doesn't mean they are Greeks.

Your dream is to have a Romanian minority within Greece,but its rather a joke when we talk with Aromanian friends.

I consider Aromanians culturaly close to Romanians but not the same people. I want only that they preserve their language and identity.

he Aromanians of Albania indentify as Greeks in majority.

And the Romanians in Republic of Moldavia consider themselves other people then the Romanians, due to Sovietic propaganda in 1944-1989.

What ridiculus genetics are these?? When Syrians became genetic brothers with Hungarians????LOLOLOLOL

The squeme is about East European peoples, being included all of them. That doesn't means there is a link between Syrians and Hungarians. There are closeness between some peoples and this is what the chart shows and between Hungarians and Syrians may not be any closeness. Anyway, linguisticaly Hungarians are related to peoples of Near Orient.

The classic romanianinternet-propagandist theory.

There are many stupid things writen by Romanians on Internet but this is not writen by Romanians but by European oficialities. Everywhere and in Balkans too most peoples are not the continuators of 'pure' races but the result of complex meltings.

Is hard to believe that Hellenophones got romanized because the majoritary population of Balkans was not Hellenophon but Thracian and Illyrian and the Hellenophones were considering Latin language inferior to Greek. Ofcourse, is much to speak about the difference between the spoken language and the genetic origin.

The pre-hellenic population of Greece were the Pelasgians,the Penestai and others.Why are you writing BS?

Do you mind if I trust scientifical, archaeological sources and not legends about so called Pelasgians?
Outline of Greek Prehistory

I think what is sayed about 'Pelasgians' on Wikipedia is enough:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelasgians

Is sad that is payed so much atention to legends which can provide nothing.

The same for Penestai.

The pelasgians and the others were non Indo-European people while the Illyrians and the Thracians were Indo-European.

You may say is, because Illyrian language didn't vanished, is today Albanian.

You want say that Illyrians and Thracians were not autochtonous? Don't you know that Balkans (Romania and Bulgaria especialy) where the most developed territories OF Europe in Neolithic? What do you think, these very populated areas were emptied to give place to the Indo-Europeans?

The Process of Indo-Europeanization was a cultural, not a physical transformation. It must be understood as a military victory in terms of imposing a new administrative system, language and religion upon the indigenous groups.
Proto-Indo-Europeans

The thracian language is believed to have been one of the closest to the Greek language,along with Phrygian and Armenian.This means that the Greeks,the Phrygians and the thracians-illyrians split from an older IE group after the invasion in the Balkans.

Similarities exists between many languages but to say it's a common heritage is nonsense.

I know there are such theories but do we have to listen them?

Hhow can you speak about Thraco-Greek common branch when the Thracian language is such less known?
You live in a world of illusions.

It is worth noting that in the Greek mythology the Illyrian is the brother of the Celt and the Gaul

You pay to much credit to legends. They simply appears from imagination and sometimes by historical realities. Is better to ignore them.

You quote from a funny book but look what more serious people say:
Greek is an independent branch of the Indo-European language family. The ancient languages which were probably most closely related to it, ancient Macedonian (which may have been a dialect of Greek) and Phrygian, are not well enough documented to permit detailed comparison. Among living languages, Armenian seems to be the most closely related language (see Graeco-Armenian).
Greek language

See also
Classification of Thracian and Sorin Olteanu's Thraco-Daco-Moesian Languages Project (TDML)

Edited by Menumorut - 07-Nov-2006 at 14:46

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 17:21
From about 200 known Thracian words, 37 share similarity with greek words, Slavic languages 34, 70 Lithuanian and 50 Latvian. I wouldnt say it was closest to greek language.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by Patrinos

Actually distance with syrians is rather large and is similar to others. Whereas nations at the lower part are much more close to each others. So this research does not really shows whom are Hungarian close to.  And also note that Hungarians lived in north of black sea and could be mixed with some nations close to sarmatians genetically. Keeping in mind that after raid of Simeon huge part Hungarian civilians were killed and Hungarians had to take women from surrounding nations. Let some hungarian co-forumer correct me if I am wrong.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 17:48
From about 200 known Thracian words, 37 share similarity with greek words, Slavic languages 34, 70 Lithuanian and 50 Latvian. I wouldnt say it was closest to greek language. 
Though I'm no specialist, I can tell you this is not how you compare languages. Much more important are considerents related to phonetics (related sounds, languages do not differ only by how different successions of sounds form a word, but also by the set of the sounds itself), grammar and core vocabulary. More related to this thread would be the example of Romanian, a language where if you choose some semantic areas or look for specific regionalisms (not actually dialectal differences, just words with regional coverage) you can find an impressive percentage of Slavic words, but the language is not at all closest to any of the Slavic languages, it is a Romance language.
Whether Thracian was closer to Greek, Baltic, Slavic or whatever languages is certainly not inferred simply from the known number of similar words/elements shared with these languages.

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Nov-2006 at 17:52
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Though I'm no specialist, I can tell you this is not how you compare languages. Much more important are considerents related to phonetics (related sounds, languages do not differ only by how different successions of sounds form a word, but also by the set of the sounds itself), grammar and core vocabulary. More related to this thread would be the example of Romanian, a language where if you choose some semantic areas or look for specific regionalisms (not actually dialectal differences, just words with regional coverage) you can find an impressive percentage of Slavic words, but the language is not at all closest to any of the Slavic languages, it is a Romance language.
Whether Thracian was closer to Greek, Baltic, Slavic or whatever languages is certainly not inferred simply from the known number of similar words/elements shared with these languages.

Agree. But from 4 inscriptions and no mp3 records of Thracian language it is hard to make a conclusion that it was closest to Greek language based on phonetics and sounds Wink Keeping in mind that most of those words we know from Greek sources in forms how Greeks heard them. As for Romanian language, it is not that good example since Slavs lived in those lands and big part of present Romania was under First and Second Bulgarian Kingdoms. Even Assenides were Vlachs according to Romanian Historians Smile  So, there is nothing suprising that slavic words are present in Romanian, disproving your thesis by that BTW.

Edited by Anton - 07-Nov-2006 at 18:10
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 21:25
But from 4 inscriptions and no mp3 records of Thracian language it is hard to make a conclusion that it was closest to Greek language based on phonetics and sounds
Generally there are no mp3 records of ancient languages yet that didn't stop scholars not only to discover them, but also to know how they sounded. Indeed, the scarcity of Thracian words/fragments it is the biggest difficulty for Thracian linguists.

Keeping in mind that most of those words we know from Greek sources in forms how Greeks heard them.
Don't you worry, the scholars know that. For instance, from one of Menumorut links you can eventually reach that page which has two very interesting articles on Thracian phonetics from the perspective of Greek sources:

As for Romanian language, it is not that good example since Slavs lived in those lands and big part of present Romania was under First and Second Bulgarian Kingdoms.As for Romanian language, it is not that good example since Slavs lived in those lands and big part of present Romania was under First and Second Bulgarian Kingdoms.
Also the Greeks built colonies among Thracian tribes, and in northern Greece probably the neighbourhood was long and with significant consequences, however I don't see how this is relevant to my example (not to say the stretch of the Bulgarian Empires is highly questionable, especially for the second Empire).

Even Assenides were Vlachs according to Romanian Historians
And not only. Both contemporary sources (Nicetas Choniates, the Latin accounts of 4th crusade, etc.) and modern historians credit Peter and Asen to be Vlachs.  I believe mostly Bulgarian historians and perhaps few other isolated cases do not agree with that. I once read a Bulgarian opinion claiming Vlach ment in that age "Bulgarian" as "Bulgarian" was somehow an out-of-use term in the era, a claim easily proven false.

So, there is nothing suprising that slavic words are present in Romanian, disproving your thesis by that BTW.
Being busy promoting Bulgarian nationalism you failed understand what my thesis is. It is not at all surprising Romanian has Slavic loans (has also Hungarian, Greek, Turkish), also the Greek has loans, also other languages have loans from Greek - quite a trivial linguistical phenomenon; the point is - no matter how heavy the loans are, the character of the language is not judged by that, yet by other characteristics of the language which you won't be able to see only by counting random sets of words.

Edited by Chilbudios - 07-Nov-2006 at 21:29
centurion View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 00:25
Originally posted by nikodemos

[QUOTE=Maria d.]The earliest known examples of written Aromanian are manuscripts of the Patriarch Fotius dating from around 860-870 AD, and manuscripts written by St. Naum of Ohrid at about the same time.

The examples of written Aromanian can be obtained

It is necessary to enter in the website of the "Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana" and it is required a scholar membership.   Anyway it is possible to get photocopies of pages of the "Classica Folia" with letter to the management of the Vatican Library.

Author : Dvornk, Frantisek, 1893-1975.
Title : Patriarch Photius scholar and statesman.
Publication : Washington, The Dumbarton Oaks research and library,
Date of publication : 1960.
Physical description : 18, 22 p. 23 cm.
Note : Estratto da "Classica Folia" v. XIII (1959), v. XIV (1960).
Titolo di copertina. 
Language : Anglais
Date of record : 941124

Centurion
CIVIS ROMANUS SUM
centurion View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 00:49
An interesting greek map of the Aromanian/Vlachs can be seen here:

Contemporary map of the neolatin populations in the Balkans:

CIVIS ROMANUS SUM
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 03:03
Centurion, I think that on the map in your post the importance of Hungarian speaking is exagerated. Actualy, in the gray-lined area most of the zones have a small or not at all Hungarian minority. It was tried to link the area of Szeklers with the border of Hungary and for that was included the central Transylvania, including Western Carpathians or Timis county where there are not Hungarians.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 19>