Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arabian Religion before Islam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arabian Religion before Islam
    Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 23:17

Well the history texts say that the Arabian lands were Polythestic before the comming of Mohammed. Yet they never go into detail about what kind of gods the ancient Arabs worshiped before Islam. In fact to my understanding the Arabian people were a little known about and were considered a nomadic people moving from trading town to trading town which were based around Oasises.

So would an expert on the subject of Ancient Arabia please enlighten me on what type of gods were worshiped by these Ancient peoples?
What was some of the religious rituals that revolved around the Ancient Gods. Was sacrifice common?
Thank you

-Zeke
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 17:14
Just want to mention that Arabia had a very substantial Christian community, especially and not surprisingly in the cities of the coastal regions, right around the peninsula. However, Christianity never suceeded to penetrate the interior of Arabia, the Beduins remained pagan. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about the character of their religion.
But not only that, in the 6th century, the King of, what today is Yemen converted to Judaism, starting a presecution of Christians, which caused the Ethiopian King Kaleb of Axumite Empire, by then already christianised, to invade Yemen and  put a Christian king on the throne, whose successors survived under Ethiopian protection for a few decades.
The advance of the Sassanid Empire into Arabia at the end of the 6th century, again around the Eastern and Southern coastal regions, introduced their state religion, Zoroastrianism
For the development of Islam, the Christian and Jewish traditions in Arabia were certainly more influential than those of the pagan nomad tribes.

Edited by Komnenos - 23-Aug-2006 at 17:27
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 17:27
The Arabs, especially nomadic Bedouins, practiced a religion which worshiped idolotrous and animistic dieties. Apparently there were over 300 such dieties, which for some made the prospect of simple monotheisism an easier choice. Idols played an important part in the religious of observance of the Arabs, to the extent that Mohammed insisted on the destruction of all idols upon entering Mecca in triumph.
Vivek Sharma View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Vivek Sharma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 02:22
Some say it was a form of hinduism, with a lot of idol worship, multiple gods etc.. but not sure.
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2006 at 02:53
I study on gender. I had read Merlin Stone's book "When God was a Woman". She has been studying on archeology and ancient religions. In her book she writes that Arabians had two important goddesses before Islam. One was Sun Goddess named as "Al Lat" ( It is also written that "Al Lat" meant "Goddess"). The other's name was "Al Uzza" (synonym of Ua Zit). She  adds that acording to Prof. J. B. Pritchard "Al Lat" is the synonym of "Asherah". Asherah was ancient Goddes of many Anotolian, Mesopotamian populations before Abraham's religion's God.
 Post Reply Post Reply