Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nezahualcoyotl View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nezahualcoyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of civilizations
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 11:09
Hello people.

In the last times i am very interested about this matter. I am trying to research in several sources, and the information is so fuzzy about the matter.

Even I have found some interesting researches about the origin of the civilizations that say that the humans are in the earth from much more time than we think nowadays.

I would like to hear your opinions about it, data, evidences, all that kind of stuff.

I would like to hear from scientific theories, I do not want to create a discussion about legends.

also if somebody knows information sources to research about it I would be glad to hear from them.

Thank you in advance
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 15:00
The reasons why information is so "fuzzy" is because there is no agreement as to what factors contributed to its rise as well as no agreement as to what constitutes a "civilization".  We have had threads dealing with the definition of "civilization" and opinions varied widely.  One of the latest theories, based on natural environmental factors is even questioned by other scholars.  The only things which seem to find wide agreement is that recognized civilizations sprung from regions which had great rivers and which were capable of fertilizing (either with or without canals) the surrounding land.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nezahualcoyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 17:50
Thanks Sarrukin, I invite everybody to leave his opinion and,  for starting somewhere, What date do you think there was something that can be considered a civilization (or at least a community with human behavior)

Dont know, opinions of something youve read or seen.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 20:32
c. 3500 BC.  The site of Uruk had reached a level of complexity such that it should be regarded as a city.  Writing also was also developed at this date, and monumental architecture was in use by this date. 
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nezahualcoyotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 07:26
Ive read something which I think it is interesting, at least as a curiosity.

Last researches about the sphinx show something interesting, there are two facts that make some people think that the age is much higher than we think.

First. The size of the head of the sphinx is not proportionate with the rest of the body and the material is different that the rest of the body,

Second.- Here is the most interesting issue (in my opinion)

On one hand the erosion of the head is the typical erosion of a very dry/windy climate, and we can see the way the sand has eroded the surface of the head.

On the other hand, the erosion of the body of the sphinx is the typical erosion created by water (a rainy climate or a long time under water, some calculations say that it was under water for 600 years)

This could only happen if the sphinx is much older than we think nowadays, and some calcularions say that this age is about 20.000 years old, is it possible? what do you think?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 14:20
Basicly, the conventional natarive has civilisation come about with the spread of urbanism/cities (civitas is the root of the world civilisation).
There is some debate over the inevitable what is or isn't a city, but usualy hands point to the mesopotania region.

Even if the sphinx is as old as is claimed by the weathering theory (which was 9,000 years AFAIK), it doesn't mean anything if there is no evidence for civilisation (sizeabele settlements that show showns of economic diversity).
Arrrgh!!"
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 09:26
There was archaiological findings in Petralwna (greek territory) with a human sceleton exactly as it is now the modern people aged 3.000.000 years. Next to him there were tools.
After that we have findings of a big Disaster that occured 10000bc  and was called Deukalionas. Isiodos has written about that. In that pshsical disaster the know civilization was destroyed according to isiodos.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 11:42
A modern human during the time of Australopithecus afarensis? Dont think so.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 13:14
All civilizations are originated in Mankind.Wink
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 15:37
why not?
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Great Khan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Great Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 12:42

Mesopotamia is the place were the first great civilization startet.In my country there are also ruins from a civilization that lived before 5000 years.They were very good miners but this canot be the oldest civilization so MESOPOTAMIA

Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:22
Originally posted by perikles

There was archaiological findings in Petralwna (greek territory) with a human sceleton exactly as it is now the modern people aged 3.000.000 years. Next to him there were tools.
After that we have findings of a big Disaster that occured 10000bc  and was called Deukalionas. Isiodos has written about that. In that pshsical disaster the know civilization was destroyed according to isiodos.

I've been to Petralona,there are 3 skeletons,a man,a woman and a baby.There were tools,and drawings and signs of fire,but i don't think you can call living in a cave "civilization".Not sure about the age of the skeletons.Where exactly does Isiodos mention Deukalionas disaster?And how did he know about it?
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 05:24

You are right. Isiodos hadn't write about Deukaliwna.

Platwn make that reference to Tigmaio (427-348 bc)
This is also written from David Young a special report to that.
Check it and tell me your opinion.
3000000 years ago this is civilization. This is the oldest finding. The thread is origins of civilization.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 05:33
Urmm... Perikles, I don't mean to be rude, but those kind of findings have been found all over Europe. It is common knowledge that the oldest human remains have been found in Ethiopia and south Africa. Thus i conlude that the oldest "civilizations" must have been in Sub-Saharan Africa, Egypt and Mesopotamia. Old though Greek civilization may be, it (And other civilizations) are only a glint in the eye of time to the oldest like Mesopotamia.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 05:45
Earl Aster you are not becoming rude by saing your opinion.
These findings are the oldest ones. Petralwna i mean. You could check it.
Before that i know that the oldest man findings are found on the black mountains(or somthing like that i can't remember ) near the Aithiopia.
Latest reaserches showed that petralwnas findings are the oldest ones. Are so old that they can't decie precisly their age.
Mesopotamia civilizations are old and extraordinary. What do you know abou Kyklades civilizations?
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 06:51
perikles, be careful with the dates, Petralona isn't 3.000.000 but a maximun of  "only" 350.000 years, possibilly half million years, no more. You have Atapuerca in Spain with 800.000 years, Dmanisi in Georgia with 1.600.000 years, and the oldest place of frica with the entire family of the human evolution, first the Homo habilis with near 3.000.000 years, then the Australopithecus... The modern humans, the Homo Sapiens, appeared in frica (of course) about 150.000 years. So take time and read about this. Please don't talk me about Aris Poulianos, if is this your source, anybody accept his unscientist claims.
perikles View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote perikles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 06:56
I never spoke for Poulianos. 500000 years i thouth too. BUt
the president of Greece Nuclear Institute Dimokritos said that the age of that sceleton is many years older, and their first calculation was 1000000 years old. But latest test shown that this figure 3000000 is maybe true. I find it hard to believe, after listening to him I can't know. I am almost convinced.
Samos national guard.

260 days left.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 11:06
Your entire argument is based on the asumptios of Poulianos. He is the only that see in Petralona men oldest than 500.000 (in fact, 700-900 thousand), he see there greeks, he see there the first man of the world; all mistakes. Show me the opinion of the GNI and then we talk.

The man of Petralona isn't a modern man, but acording with Yioannis Melentis (a true scientific) a man between Homo erectus and Homo neardenthalensis, probably Homo heilderbengensis

http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homoheidelbergensis.htm

Jeru View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Jeru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 12:27
I think you are both in false way,the topic is about the origin of civilisations not the origins of mankind,i suppose that means the first civilisation and not the first man on earth.By the way i never completely believe anthropologists or DNA tests,cause their results change quite often just like the technology they have in hand.I prefer to be guided by written history.
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 08:25
I think, next article is exactly about topic:

Climate change 'was the making of civilisation'
By Roger Highfield and Nic Fleming

(Filed: 08/09/2006)

Rather than marking the demise of civilisation, severe climate change was the primary ingredient of its successful birth, according to a theory outlined yesterday.

Nick Brooks, of the University of East Anglia, told the British Association Festival of Science in Norwich that, without dramatic changes in the climate thousands of years ago, we might have remained farmers, herders and hunter gatherers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/08/nscience08.xml

Edited by John Lenon - 08-Sep-2006 at 08:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>