Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Kargil Conflict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Kargil Conflict
    Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 14:21
Also known as the Kargil War, was an armed conflict between India and Pakistan. The war lasted from May to July 1999 in Kashmir (the northernmost region of the Indian Subcontinent). The war was caused by the infiltration of Pakistani soldiers into the Indian side of the Line of Control (line which demarcates the boundary between the territories controlled by two militaries or political entities). Nevertheless, Pakistan blamed the whole war on Kashmiri Rebels. The Indian Military campaign tried to repel the intruders, but it left approximately 524 Indian soldiers dead and 1,363 wounded (according to the statistics by Defence Minister George Fernandes). Figures stated that 624 Pakistani soldiers were killed, and it was said that 40 civilians were killed on the Pakistani line of control.

On May 26th 1999, India launches air strikes against militants in Indian-administered Kashmir for the first time in 20 years. There was no sign of ending the conflict when on June 3rd, India promises to continue ground and air strikes against infiltrators, a senior Indian minister warns there is little point in peace talks with Pakistan. Already by the 30th of June 1999, the Indian military were already prepared dominant high-altitude against Pakistani posts along the boarder of Kashmir. The total Indian troop strength in the region had reached 730,000.

The terrain in Kargil is one of the most beautiful in the world; nevertheless, it is also one of the most difficult to conduct military operations in. Precipitous mountains around the region range in height from 13000 feet to 18000 feet. After a belated political realization of the extent of the problem, the Indian military had to literally fight an uphill battle against a well entrenched and well supplied Pakistani military in hostile terrain. You can say, terrain played a huge role in the Kargil war. 

Pakistan received widespread world condemnation for its failure to patrol its borders and prevent insurgents from crossing over onto its soil. Some Nations believed the Pakistan attempted at plausible deniability by linking the invasion to the rebels. Analysts argued that the battle was being fought at heights where only seasoned troops could survive, so poorly equipped, informal fighters would neither have the ability nor the wherewithal to seize land and defend it.

The aftermath of the war saw the rise of the Indian stock market by over 1500 points. From the end of the war until February 2000, the Indian economy was optimistic.  After the war, the Indian military severed all ties with Pakistan, and increased it defence preparedness. Faced with the possibility of international isolation, the Pakistani economy tumbled and Pakistan was shunned as a global hotbed for terrorism. For nearly three months, the Kargil conflict threatened Southern Asia with the prospect of the first nuclear deployment against humans since Hiroshima in World War II and the first mutual nuclear exchange in history.

Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 14:33
As far as the Pakistanis being able to 'patrol their borders', it is claimed that they actually pay money to have the tribals raise up their flags in some parts of the country LOL

The Siachen Glacier is also a hot spot when it comes to border disputes between the two countries.  Time Magazine Asia did a whole coverage on this area and of particular mention was Tim McGirk's article on it. 

Originally posted by War at the Top of the World

Lieut. Colonel Pundir claims that the Pakistanis still don't control any part of the glacier. "Not even an inch," says Pundir. With an air of contempt, he adds: "They can't even show their faces near it." Pakistani Lieut. Colonel Saeed Iqbal concedes that the Indians control the heights. But he insists that the Indian success comes at a price. "It's costing them far more than us," says Iqbal. "We can deliver our men and supplies to the front line using roads, while the Indians have to bring in everything using helicopters and snowmobiles."

Edited by Rajput - 02-Aug-2006 at 15:53

If God did not create the horse, he would not have created the Rajput.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 20:18
Originally posted by Rajput

As far as the Pakistanis being able to 'patrol their borders', it is claimed that they actually pay money to have the tribals raise up their flags in some parts of the country LOL

The Siachen Glacier is also a hot spot when it comes to border disputes between the two countries.  Time Magazine Asia did a whole coverage on this area and of particular mention was Tim McGirk's article on it. 

Originally posted by War at the Top of the World

Lieut. Colonel Pundir claims that the Pakistanis still don't control any part of the glacier. "Not even an inch," says Pundir. With an air of contempt, he adds: "They can't even show their faces near it." Pakistani Lieut. Colonel Saeed Iqbal concedes that the Indians control the heights. But he insists that the Indian success comes at a price. "It's costing them far more than us," says Iqbal. "We can deliver our men and supplies to the front line using roads, while the Indians have to bring in everything using helicopters and snowmobiles."

Siachen is pretty useless, but so long as it costs India more, it's a Pakistani strategic advantage having them in there. Pakistan does control about a third of Siachen including the strategically important Conway Saddle area, most of the lower areas and less hazardous areas of the glacier, perhaps one of Siachen peak as well. It really doesn't need anymore since the supply roads are 20 km to Pakistani bases and 80 km to Indian bases that cannot be accessed from land. But all of Siachen Glacier is Pakistani territory.

Kargil also wasn't a war. Conflict perhaps, skirmish better, and it didn't involve use of PAF, though the IAF was used. 

Edited by TeldeInduz - 02-Aug-2006 at 20:23
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 21:16
Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Pakistan does control about a third of Siachen

**cough** bullsh*t  **cough**  Dead  stinky muslim rats polluting the siachen glacier...lol

Originally posted by Washington Times

The Indian Army controls all of the glacier and the three main passes of the Saltoro Ridge immediately west of the Siachen glacier, Sia La, Bilafond La, and Gyong La, thus holding onto the tactical advantage of high ground. Gyong La Pass itself is at 35-10-29N, 77-04-15 E; that high point is controlled by India. The Pakistanis control the glacial valley just five kilometers southwest of Gyong La, however.

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 21:39
Rajput, I'd perfer, and the rest of AE, for you to not call Muslims "stinky rats." Anuj will deal with this when he comes online.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 21:56
Now were arguing over where the LOC is Rajput? Now thats stupid.
TeldeInduz View Drop Down
General
General

Quote TeldeInduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 22:16
Originally posted by Rajput

Originally posted by TeldeInduz

Pakistan does control about a third of Siachen

**cough** bullsh*t  **cough**  Dead  stinky muslim rats polluting the siachen glacier...lol

Originally posted by Washington Times

The Indian Army controls all of the glacier and the three main passes of the Saltoro Ridge immediately west of the Siachen glacier, Sia La, Bilafond La, and Gyong La, thus holding onto the tactical advantage of high ground. Gyong La Pass itself is at 35-10-29N, 77-04-15 E; that high point is controlled by India. The Pakistanis control the glacial valley just five kilometers southwest of Gyong La, however.

Post a link to that quote. You've taken it from Wiki, not Washington Times. Also it seems "Zee News" Big smile 

The TIME Magazine is a better reference than yours.

"The Indians control two of Siachen's three passes, and two-thirds of the glacier."

That article also told me of an interesting battle at Siachen, when 6 Pakistani troops wiped out a whole Indian bunker complex in Siachen, initially by dangling a single Pakistani soldier from a copter  Thumbs Up 

"Battles for these nameless peaks often involved surreal acts of heroism and self-sacrifice. In April 1989, for example, the Pakistanis decided to try to dislodge an Indian squad from a saddle between two peaks known as the Chumik Pass before reinforcements arrived. First, a platoon of Pakistanis, roped together, tried scaling a 600-m cliff to reach the Indian post, but they were wiped out by an avalanche. Time was running out; Indian reinforcements were approaching. So a Pakistani lieutenant, Naveed Khan Qureshi, 27, with no mountain-warfare training, volunteered for a crazy mission. The plan was for Qureshi to be dangled from a tiny helicopter by a rope and then dropped on top of the peak, above the Indians. Slapped by high winds, the helicopter stalled and went into a dive. Qureshi was still underneath it, swinging to and fro. "I was sure that he was going to get caught in the tail rotor blades," says the pilot, Raheel Hafeez Sehgal, now a colonel. Sehgal pulled the chopper out of its stall and headed for a lower ridge. Qureshi was cut looseand fell straight into a crevasse. Miraculously, he survived, but was trapped there until a second soldier was airlifted in. The two men were stranded in a blizzard for two days until the weather cleared long enough for Sehgal to land four more troops and supplies. Trouble was, their position was 150 m below the Indian outpost instead of above it. Lashed together by ropes, the six men advanced up the mountain, and eventually overran the Indians' bunker. From that vantage point, the Pakistanis began to pound a lower Indian base on the glacier with mortars and rockets. A month later, the two countries realized the madness of trying to slug it out, and agreed to demilitarize the sector. The pact has held firmproof, says Pakistani military spokesman Major General Shaukat Sultan, that Siachen can be a place of peace."

Edited by TeldeInduz - 02-Aug-2006 at 22:26
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................
Rajput View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2006 at 23:07

Edited by Rajput - 02-Aug-2006 at 23:09

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 12:43
Originally posted by rules+regulations

By registering, you understand that AE is an international forum and that we do not tolerate any form of disrespect toward any national, religious, or cultural group. Failure to comply will result in termination of membership.

Rajput you cant call muslims stinky rats here. This is an official warning.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 13:24
I like the article Jay. If you want to submit it let me know and i'll help you do so.

If you want to add more I suggest you write a little bit more from the Pakistani perspective. After all, there were two armies involved in the conflict (+ mujahidin).

When your done just let me know and i'll help you add it as soon as possible (although i am going on holiday tommorow so it may be 10 days)

Edited by Anujkhamar - 03-Aug-2006 at 13:25
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 19:00

If you want to add more I suggest you write a little bit more from the Pakistani perspective. After all, there were two armies involved in the conflict (+ mujahidin).

Yeah, if your going to post it I suggest presenting both sides of the argument. Currently it is only showing the Indian side.
Pakistani troops other than spotters and special forces, never crossed the LOC. Niether did we use our airforce.
It shouldn't be called a war either. It never spread outside the Kargil region and pakistani airforce was never used.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2006 at 22:53
Anuj and Omar,

I've read over my article more, and I realize what you're saying, and I agree. It is a little one-sided, and for that I am sorry. I will edit it with the Pakistani perspective. If any of you have resources on both perspectives I will be glad to look over it. Thanks.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 01:01
How about this. The main peaks are still in Pakistani hands per that Indian general.
Would not be surprised.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 02:59
Originally posted by Jay.

Anuj and Omar,

I've read over my article more, and I realize what you're saying, and I agree. It is a little one-sided, and for that I am sorry. I will edit it with the Pakistani perspective. If any of you have resources on both perspectives I will be glad to look over it. Thanks.

No need to apologise, search Kargil in our forums. You'll find a discussion between me and Telde, which i think it is safe to say he won due to lack of decent sources on my part.

Very last post on AE for 2 weeks! :S
Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 09:17
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

Anuj and Omar,

No need to apologise, search Kargil in our forums. You'll find a discussion between me and Telde, which i think it is safe to say he won due to lack of decent sources on my part.

Very last post on AE for 2 weeks! :S

Anuj,
 What do you mean he won? Pakis did not win. There army was routed and there ex-PM Nawaz Sharif in his latest book has confirmed the same.

-Digs
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 12:22
No, I beleive he ment that Tele won the arguement, not the actual war.
Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 16:50

No, I beleive he ment that Tele won the arguement, not the actual war.

How can Telde win any argument?

-Digs
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2006 at 21:03

The problem is, when I read someones post and decided its too stupid to reply to, they don't know.
Digvijay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Digvijay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 05:44
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

The problem is, when I read someones post and decided its too stupid to reply to, they don't know.

So far your buddy Telde and yourself have been the flagbearers of the stupid camp. Problem stems from having been brainashed into believing the madarsa line only and not accepting evidence at all.
Look at the kargil issue. Ex PM of Pakistan, Nawaz Sharif, is saying Pakistani army fought against the Indian army in Kargil war and suffered more casualties then Indian army and yet we should believe the version being spun by telde and Hashimi. 
And then these idiots have the temerity to call others stupid!

-Digs
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2006 at 16:21
please cool down all, it is not necessary to call each others by names.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>