Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bravest people that are not your people

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bravest people that are not your people
    Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 15:20
who are according to you the "second" bravest people ion the planet I mean  second place your own people are surely the bravestLOL

But who do you think is realy brave but who aren't of your stock?

or who was or is the hardest bad*ass enemy or adversary of your country ,nation or people.

Who do you think are good warriors.

I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 15:21
My choice would be germanic and vinking tribes so scandinavians
also the scotes not the english thow sorry Mate
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 16:08

I dont think one could list bravery based on ethnicity or country, but to me all the steppe nations produce the best, smartest, and most far ranging of warriors.  Turks, Mongols, Huns etc go everywhere and conquer everyone.  It is of course, a biased appeal because that is my favorite history. 

Even in modern times after steppe empires faded away, Russia became their sucesssor and in modern times from Peter the Great to the fall of the Soviet Union Russian troops were the most stoic in the face of battle despite often being outgeneraled and ill equipped.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 16:24
Could it have to do with climate you know harsh way of life. Like every man of the steppe was a warrior and there "profession" came secondary.

with most other people it was the other way around
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 17:07
Originally posted by xi_tujue

who are according to you the "second" bravest people ion the planet I mean  second place your own people are surely the bravestLOL

But who do you think is realy brave but who aren't of your stock?

or who was or is the hardest bad*ass enemy or adversary of your country ,nation or people.

Who do you think are good warriors.

I think it's my turn to point out that bravery not necessarily implies being a warrior or fighting or kicking ass or such.
I personally find, for example, Rosa Parks, the black woman who refused to give up her seat cause it was reserved for white people in Apartheid USA, and who thus started the Civil Rights Movement, ten times braver than Dschingis Khan and his Mongols, Attila and his  Huns, the Vikings who raided English monasteries and all the other usual suspects that are mentioned at these occasions, together.
Not that anybody ever listens..........

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 17:19
I want to make something clear.

Alot of people are going to dislike me for this.

Defending your existence your country isn't brave its nesecary its an human instinct to do so. It kill or be killed but true braveness is to go outside of your borders an explore anc conquer more lands.(bet you know that I'm ca descendent)

You could say its all about what your philosfy is every person andor people have a differnet look on the world and things.

tue bravery is speaking your minde and acting the way you ruely believe is right no mathers what people think or say or do
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 17:36
Bravery is to never falter and stand up against murder, oppression and discrimination wherever it rears its ugly head and to try and halt its dishonest band wagon that most people like to ride, either through ignorance, self interest or plain idiocy.

Conquerors of other lands are seldom brave, they prey on the weakand vulnerable. 
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 20:52
COnquerors makie history intresting, and in the time before the internet they were integral to spreading technology and ideas.  For every bad conqueror I can think of a good one.

Nontheless, I agree that it takes more bravery to stand up against authority than to invade someone else.  But the best kind of bravery is the bravery to fight your own people and your own government for what is right, whether violently or not. 

Black Power movements did alot more for civil rights than peace activism, by scaring white people to accept the less threatening alternative.

And Xi Tujue, I am not one of those nationalistic morons who thinks because I am part of a country that the country then is great or is brave.  I can name plenty of braver people than Americans off the top of my head. 
-Alexander Hamilton
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 21:42
Originally posted by Zagros

Conquerors of other lands are seldom brave, they prey on the weakand vulnerable.

Couldn't agree more...

"It doesnt take power to kill, it takes power to not to kill" - from Schindler's List
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 22:04
Originally posted by Tobodai

But the best kind of bravery is the bravery to fight your own people and your own government for what is right, whether violently or not. 

A big "yes" to the quote in bold. Not too sure about the rest ....
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 22:22
Iroqouis.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 03:54
Originally posted by Tobodai

COnquerors makie history intresting, and in the time before the internet they were integral to spreading technology and ideas.  For every bad conqueror I can think of a good one.

Nontheless, I agree that it takes more bravery to stand up against authority than to invade someone else.  But the best kind of bravery is the bravery to fight your own people and your own government for what is right, whether violently or not. 

Black Power movements did alot more for civil rights than peace activism, by scaring white people to accept the less threatening alternative.

And Xi Tujue, I am not one of those nationalistic morons who thinks because I am part of a country that the country then is great or is brave.  I can name plenty of braver people than Americans off the top of my head. 

I, wouldn't dare to think that my friend.Big smile

Btw if you were you couldn't become moderator according to AE rules hhaahaLOL

wel peace
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 09:44
Whereas both Rosa Parks and Genghis Khan were brave in their own way, they were both individuals and not peoples. For an entire people to deemed brave, it's not enough to single out a few extraordinary individuals and incidents, because this will make it possible to justify just about any people on the planet as the bravest. No, what one must look for is a continous show of bravery throughout the centuries, and the relative absence of cowardly displays. A people who've been able to "keep up pressure", so to speak, in all circumstances. Following this logic, the Turkic tribes would IMO rank far higher in this contest than the Mongols. Surely the latter had their days of carnage and glory, but it was confined to a single period whereas the many Turkic peoples made themselves felt over a considerable amount of time and in many corners of the World. The same could be said of the Germanic tribes; from the Cimbri's battles to the Roman defeat in the Teutoborg Forest, the conquest of western Rome to the establishment of the Holy Roman Empire and the defeat of the Magyars and the Slavic tribes in the middle ages, the Viking invasions and the Varangian Guard, from the Teutonic Order to the military state of Prussia, the Austrian repulse of the Ottomans, the unparallelled destruction of the Thirty Years War and the successes under Bismarck, and I hardly need to mention Nazi Germany that could only be brought down by an alliance of the entire civilized world.

I should've made my point clear; I'd say either the Germanic or the Turkic tribes, possibly both. This is of course a result of my history knowledge being somewhat restricted to Europe and the Middle East, but I doubt there are peoples outside these regions with even more impressive records that I haven't heard of at all.

Edited by Reginmund - 29-Jul-2006 at 09:46
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 10:42
The Samurai... or Japanese in general.

True bravery is to face a Sith alone LOL... then you will see what the dark side of life looks like. Unfortunately it is not possible.Dead
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 03:32
Or face a Jedi master, why would you assume we want to be Jedi?  Sith are way cooler, and the get to have sex.  I am SO a Sith Lord, their philosophy is the first political statement I have ever seen that I completely agree with.
-Alexander Hamilton
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 03:40
Well, actually the Jedi code is not that certain... There were hundreds of Jedi who had sex, many had children (ok, not many, but few (besides Anakin)).

To face a Sith, because the Jedi won't kill you just for fun, but the Sith have very good reasons to do that. Ofcourse, if you're a Sith and you encounter Jedi, they will kill you for fun but that is irrelevant.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 04:01
But they never have fun, protecting that shambling blob of a useless republic.  I get to promote on ability and choke incompotents (something all governments should do) plus have a cooler wardrobe and shoot lightning.  My theme song will also likely be cooler, and Im more likley to be potrayed by a beter actor.Wink

OK before we get in trouble for ruing the thread, I want to ask flyingzone a question.

Your a proff and clearly know your history, tell me how you can possibly no tbe sure of the effectiveness of violence?  DO you honestly think hunger strikes could have toppled Hitler or that defense from government aggression like the French Resistence is not justifiable?
-Alexander Hamilton
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 04:40
Ok, this went a little off topic by TWO mods... this is wierd. All your points about the Sith are truly true.

Violence against civilians in wars is usually unnecessary as it just makes people defend themselves more. My opinion.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 06:28
I wish I was a wooki jedi is there such thing?
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 09:09
The Jedi Master Tyvokka who was a close friend to Yoda, was a Wookiee. There was one other Wookiee Jedi during the New Jedi Order, but I do not remember his or her name. And I do not recall any other encountering with Wookiee Jedi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>