Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is "Evil" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is "Evil" ?
    Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 17:36
Originally posted by The Philosopher

Originally posted by xi_tujue

Originally posted by The Philosopher

i meant to say that God is the only true good and Lucifer the only true evil

befor adam God and the devil had no problems (I even heard he was his favourite) But the devil got jealous of adam and disobayed God and was punished an angel who's wings got clipt so from wich perspective you're going to see this.

Accualy we are the ones who are evil according to the devil.

well acually, Lucifer wasn't jelouse of Adam, what happened is Lucifer was Gods favorite, but he became jelouse of God, feeling that is was he who should have all the power, and then he led a revolt and was kicked out from heaven by God, taking 1/3 of heavans angels with him.     

I know I say this with almost 99.9% certainty of correctness...This never happened!
A great analogy for all those struggling with beliefs is to consider the analogy of the tea-pot orbiting mars. There is no way of proving that there isn't a tea-pot orbiting Mars but the chances are so slim there is no point in believing there is one. What this has to do with good and evil is a bit hard to see but basically it comes down to the morals of certain religions specificly Christianity...Blessed are the meek, they shall inherit the world...not a wise decision...besides why the meek, not necessarily the migty but why not give it to the mediocre...that sounds better...blessed are the mediocre for they shall inherit the world!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 17:40
Originally posted by pekau

Originally posted by dandeb

There is no good and evil. There is your conscience and people would say this is where good and evil are defined as what is good and what is wrong in terms of others. I would disagree with this as like ethics and morals, what is good and what is bad are personal things. By deduction then there is no one thing as good and evil and our actions should not be defined on these lines, instead we should act by what we feel is right in ourselves with regards to the outcomes of our actions but not as to how they effect others buit rather how they effect our ability to live as well as we can. This does not mean that because there is no good and evil people are free to harm what they like merely it means that there can be no such thing as universal evil or universal good.

According to your theory, then I have every right to kill, rob and enslave anyone I please. I am unsure how you could justify such actions.
And I am unsure how you can justify your  response if you have fully read my message...Read the last line again! Also, if you had read past the first line you wpould have seen how I said that by doing what you suppose I hold to be things ethically acceptable, we prevent our own personal advancement which is at the basisi of the ethical argument I outlined.

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 17:24
It still a case of subjectivity, dandeb. Your argument is flawed based on the value-judgment systems unique in every human brain. Also, by quantifying, say, killing, as evil, you have already interjected your own unique value-judgment on what can very easily be considered (from a subjective standpoint) a neutral, or even a good, act. Or, to beg the question even further... you point out that we have the moral right to do what we deem appropriate if it will improve our lives. Then, is killing someone (for my own benefit) a just action? Let's say the person is doing something that I (based on my own unique value-judgment determinism) would deem wrong, like rape for instance (which his own unique value-judgment system has deemed morally acceptable, and will enable to further improve his own life), and I kill him. Is that wrong?

In order to answer any question about ethics, to me it seems apparent that you need to acknowledge the presence of some of underlying moral objectivity; otherwise, any argument one way or the other is subjectivists, and inherently full of contradictions. By 'acknowledging and underlying moral objectivity,' I mean God (or some permutation of Gods and Goddesses, or even just the scientific building blocks of the universe, which themselves adhere to things we call 'natural laws.'). Unfortunately, I'm not sure such a thing exists, or ever existed, but it would sure make this argument a hell of a lot more 'over.'
Cheers.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 22:39
Agreed. There is definitely the difference between good and evil.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234