Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is "Evil" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
The Philosopher View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is "Evil" ?
    Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 22:29
yes you are correct, but since i was talking about christian belief, i wasn't thinking about actually naming the bible. sorry
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 22:35
Originally posted by The Philosopher

Originally posted by xi

befor adam God and the devil had no problems (I even heard he was his favourite) But the devil got jealous of adam and disobayed God and was punished an angel who's wings got clipt so from wich perspective you're going to see this.

Accualy we are the ones who are evil according to the devil.

well acually, Lucifer wasn't jelouse of Adam, what happened is Lucifer was Gods favorite, but he became jelouse of God, feeling that is was he who should have all the power, and then he led a revolt and was kicked out from heaven by God, taking 1/3 of heavans angels with him.  

Your arguing cross religions there if your not aware. In Islam the satan was not jealous of God, and how you lead a revolt against an omnipotent being I don't know. While I have read parts of 'the book' I wonder if you've read any of 'the mother of all books'? I would be interested if your story is justifiable in Christianity or not, how do you support that belief?

--btw flyingzone, calling the bible 'the book' although ambigous and annoying, isn't actually incorrect. Since bible is just a bastardisation of the greek biblyos (or something like that) which strictly means book.

Good and Evil, (I prefer Good and Bad) are constructs of society and religion. Outside of either of these they don't have any meaning, but inside them they do. I take Good, to be what God has told us to do, and Bad to be defined as what not to do. There is of course a huge gap inbetween which is niether Good nor Bad. They are effectively just terms to describe actions.
Some people after deciding that there isn't anything as Good or Bad then use that as a justification of a sort to do whatever they want to and not follow thier ancestors ideas of good and bad. This I think is missing the point, just because Good and Bad are concepts and not physical manifestations, it doesn't mean that there isn't a very good reason why people called them 'Good' or 'Bad'.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 23-Sep-2006 at 22:40
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:23
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Originally posted by The Philosopher

Originally posted by xi

befor adam God and the devil had no problems (I even heard he was
his favourite) But the devil got jealous of adam and disobayed God and
was punished an angel who's wings got clipt so from wich perspective
you're going to see this.

Accualy we are the ones who are evil according to the devil.

well acually, Lucifer wasn't jelouse of Adam, what happened is
Lucifer was Gods favorite, but he became jelouse of God, feeling that
is was he who should have all the power, and then he led a revolt and
was kicked out from heaven by God, taking 1/3 of heavans angels with
him.

Your arguing cross religions there if your not aware. In Islam the
satan was not jealous of God, and how you lead a revolt against an
omnipotent being I don't know. While I have read parts of 'the book' I
wonder if you've read any of 'the mother of all books'? I would be
interested if your story is justifiable in Christianity or not, how do
you support that belief?

--btw flyingzone, calling the bible 'the book' although ambigous and
annoying, isn't actually incorrect. Since bible is just a
bastardisation of the greek biblyos (or something like that) which
strictly means book.

Good and Evil, (I prefer Good and Bad) are constructs of society and
religion. Outside of either of these they don't have any meaning, but
inside them they do. I take Good, to be what God has told us to do,
and Bad to be defined as what not to do. There is of course a huge gap
inbetween which is niether Good nor Bad. They are effectively just
terms to describe actions.
Some people after deciding that there isn't anything as Good or Bad
then use that as a justification of a sort to do whatever they want to
and not follow thier ancestors ideas of good and bad. This I think is
missing the point, just because Good and Bad are concepts and not
physical manifestations, it doesn't mean that there isn't a very good
reason why people called them 'Good' or 'Bad'.

well, how am i crossing two religions?? also, God also gave the angels free will, even knowing that Lucifer would indeed lead a revolt against him, if God were to act upon that knowledge before hand, that would just as well be a form of pre-destination.     
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:26
also, what are you refering to when you say "the mother of all books"??
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:33
well, how am i crossing two religions?? also, God also gave the angels free will, even knowing that Lucifer would indeed lead a revolt against him, if God were to act upon that knowledge before hand, that would just as well be a form of pre-destination.

Xi was talking about Islam, you corrected him by talking about christianity. Hence cross religions. Arguing about things like that cross religion is pretty much pointless, however I believe it may be possible to argue the muslim point of view from the bibe?
Do you know the basic differences between Islam and Christianity?

'the mother of all books' is the Quran.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 23-Sep-2006 at 23:38
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:40
ok, i didn't realize that he was talking about islam, and i don't believe that you can argue one religeon from another religeons book.
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:45
I mean that the Lucifer story you told us is not correct for all versions of christanity, and I think that it may be possible to argue a different story from the bible. But I'm not sure about that, which is why I asked you to justify your story.

Can you prove to me that the story you said above is correct for christianity?

PS:
Actually you'd be surprised how many popular versions of a common legend come from the other religions book. For example the Noahs ark story, I've picked up muslim books and read the christian story (which doesn't contradict the Quranic story, but adds details that are unsubstatianed) and nowadays, many christian groups are adopting the Quranic version as a correct interpretation to the biblical one (as that doesn't quite gell with reality - or even itself)

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 23-Sep-2006 at 23:51
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 04:56
Not to change the topic, but if 'good' and 'bad' are just concepts in religions like Islam or Christianity, so what are 'paradise' and 'hell' for?

If they're just in our minds and not in the practice, so why do we deserve 'paradise' or 'hell' while we really haven't accomplished anything?

Edited by gok_toruk - 24-Sep-2006 at 05:03
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 06:42
Speaking of Religion, I find the Christian fundamentalist evil since they seem to be trying to get Christianity into politics. I believe it's wrong and unAmerican to try and make American politics of Christian bias.

As a mild theocrat I don't see how religion being in politics is evil as long as the religion promotes peace and intelligent thought. However my own feelings on fundamentalists....I'm inclined to agree with you.

Even as a theocrat, I also agree that putting religion in American politics is un-American, putting morals and traditional values however is not.

On the topic of good and evil:
Evil only exists as a result of man's distance from the divine plan of the creator. Only when one is in accordance with the natural order can one be freed from evil. However we are born into the world with an inclination towards evil and sin. This is a mystery known only to the creator and until we reach a stage in our development when the divine plan is revealed we cannot hope to understand it. This isn't to say that men are created evil, we are all born good because everything that is created by God is good and can only be made evil by acts of free will that go contrary to the divine order.

So basically everything is good. We screw up and make things evil because of our distance from God. Only through grace can we hope to eliminate evil.

Also to those that had questions about the fall here is it from the roman catechism (paraphrased by me):

The angels were themselves created good as well as the demons. However in the timeless era before creation the angels had to make a choice for themselves whether they would follow God or reject him as their lord. The ones that "rebelled" merely rejected God, they never staged a battle in heaven. The reason that they remain in hell is not because God is unwilling to forgive them but because they are unwilling to be forgiven. (The utter rejection of God is also in my belief the only thing that one can truly go to hell for, everyone else just enters the state of purgatory.)

Also as an aside, I remember a few years ago reading a book I believe called the mythology of christianity or something like that. It was written by a british atheist in the first half of the twentieth century who after studying catholic theology and tradition, came up with some very logical and sound (to me at least) observations on the fall.

According to this book, the devils merely rejected God, but seeing as how God is everywhere they couldn't escape his light, so they had to go the one place where his light did not penetrate as deeply, inside themselves. This gave me an image of hell that is very different than the traditional view. One where there's an infinite plane of light (kind of like the prison in THX 1139) and the only thing on this plane are giant statues (which are the outer shell of the demons).

If they're just in our minds and not in the practice, so why do we deserve 'paradise' or 'hell' while we really haven't accomplished anything?

It isn't a matter of whether we deserve paradise. Just like it doesn't matter if a child deserves gifts, a parent will still give him gifts if they see fit. It's just like this with God, no matter how much we accomplish in this world we are all destined to return to him. Paradise isn't so much a reward but a destination we all must be prepared to reach.

Again, this is in christian tradition, I believe though it can be compatible with most other religions.

(Edited by Flyingzone to increase the size of writing.)

Edited by flyingzone - 24-Sep-2006 at 17:05
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 12:42

In Islamic thoughts also, all people return to God; but not necessarily paradise. If you're good, that's paradise and if not, hell.

I mean, when we lie, don't we really accomplish something? Or is it just in our mind? I don't think so. You DO something and you see the results. Or are we punished because of our thoughts only?
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 21:44
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I mean that the Lucifer story you told us is not correct for all
versions of christanity, and I think that it may be possible to argue a
different story from the bible. But I'm not sure about that, which is
why I asked you to justify your story.

Can you prove to me that the story you said above is correct for christianity?

PS:
Actually you'd be surprised how many popular versions of a common
legend come from the other religions book. For example the Noahs ark
story, I've picked up muslim books and read the christian story (which
doesn't contradict the Quranic story, but adds details that are
unsubstatianed) and nowadays, many christian groups are adopting the
Quranic version as a correct interpretation to the biblical one (as that doesn't quite gell with reality - or even itself)

ok, heres where the story is
Isaiah 14:11-20
11 All your pomp has been brought down to the grave, along with the noise of your harps; maggots are spread our beneath you and worms cover you.12 How you have fallen from heaven O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! 13 You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven, I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. 14 I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High." 15 But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit. 16 Those who see you stare at you, they ponder your fate; "Is this the man who shook the earth and made kingdoms tremble,17 the man who made the world a desert, who overthrew its cities and would not let his captives go home?" 18 All the kings of the nations lie in state, each in his own tomb.19 But you are cast our of your tomb, like a rejected branch; you are covered with the slain, with those pierced by the sword, those who descend to the stones of the pit, Lik a corpse trampled underfoot, 20 you will not join them in burial, for you have destroyed your land, and killed your people.     
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 21:51
that is the Thompson chain reference bible
NIV. but, although it doesn't say the name Lucifer in there, it talks about the son of the dawn. and Lucifer was the angel of light, thus the son of the dawn. and also, in the original Hebrew this is true.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 21:55
and about the noah's ark story, almost all religions in the world have a story about a massive flood. so i've read and heard
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2006 at 07:53
When you know that you are about to act on something deemed unjust and you have all the means to but you hold back your will to, then that is evil.

Edited by vulkan02 - 11-Oct-2006 at 07:58
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2006 at 11:07
you cant say for yourself that you are evil or good.other people should decide for you!

A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:00
A great story to explain what evil is. I personally memorized it myself

Warning, copied texts that don't belong to pekau. (Though I wish it was my work...) I will reference it if someone wants it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name Albert Einstein.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Join us.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 23:36

Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did Fairies create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, they did!"

"Fairies created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If Fairies created everything, then Fairies created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then Fairies are evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Fairy faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course they exist. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of Fairies . It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of Fairies . Fairies do not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have Fairies's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name Paul

Edited by Paul - 01-Jan-2007 at 23:39
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 02:36
Ha, good one Paul. There are many theories that said Einstein was not the the protagonist, so you may still have the chance

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 11:46
There is no good and evil. There is your conscience and people would say this is where good and evil are defined as what is good and what is wrong in terms of others. I would disagree with this as like ethics and morals, what is good and what is bad are personal things. By deduction then there is no one thing as good and evil and our actions should not be defined on these lines, instead we should act by what we feel is right in ourselves with regards to the outcomes of our actions but not as to how they effect others buit rather how they effect our ability to live as well as we can. This does not mean that because there is no good and evil people are free to harm what they like merely it means that there can be no such thing as universal evil or universal good.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 15:08
Originally posted by dandeb

There is no good and evil. There is your conscience and people would say this is where good and evil are defined as what is good and what is wrong in terms of others. I would disagree with this as like ethics and morals, what is good and what is bad are personal things. By deduction then there is no one thing as good and evil and our actions should not be defined on these lines, instead we should act by what we feel is right in ourselves with regards to the outcomes of our actions but not as to how they effect others buit rather how they effect our ability to live as well as we can. This does not mean that because there is no good and evil people are free to harm what they like merely it means that there can be no such thing as universal evil or universal good.

According to your theory, then I have every right to kill, rob and enslave anyone I please. I am unsure how you could justify such actions.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>