Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is "Evil" ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is "Evil" ?
    Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 01:44

-It is a little embarassing, but I never really learned very much about Pol Pot, so I can not really say anything about this.

-Yes, often the presence of evil confirms the existence of good.....as I feel that there is no good without evil. These ideas go hand in hand. Evil in action can ultimately result in an overall good. So do you propose that, if in fact good and evil truly exist, they balance themselves out in a "natural" order of things? Or rather, one has the power to cancel out the other?

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 02:15
Once again it really depends on what you think is good and evil, but personally I would say yes, to have one must have the other, for one to happen will thus make the opposite happen in reaction even if unintentionally.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 02:19
- Yes, but one evil act can also lead to more evil...that is, if we assume that there is such a thing. I think it is more how one reacts to an event that determines the true impact of the original action.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
The Philosopher View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 17:58
Originally posted by BMC21113

- Yes, but one evil act can also lead to more evil...that is, if we assume that there is such a thing. I think it is more how one reacts to an event that determines the true impact of the original action.

so, you are saying that it depends on how we take the originall offense in mind that determines whether or not it is truly evil??    
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 18:05
I say again that only ethic system can define an act as evil or good.
There is no such thing like absolute good or evil.

For example in one society such acts like canibalism, incest, ritual murder can be considered as good and in other as evil.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 18:19
honestly the only true goods are God and Lucifer
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 18:20
i meant to say that God is the only true good and Lucifer the only true evil
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 19:49
I think that this is thread about philosophy, not theology.Rreligious disccusions on nature of good and evil in your religion you can make on different forum or topic.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 10:38
Speaking of Religion, I find the Christian fundamentalist evil since they seem to be trying to get Christianity into politics. I believe it's wrong and unAmerican to try and make American politics of Christian bias.
But to them they are trying to save souls and make the country "morally" correct. They believe they are the absolute good and those who defy their teachings and warnings, tainted by evil. So what's good, what's evil? Like it's already been said, depends on your own values first, and the society you grew up in to get those values.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 12:03
Originally posted by The Philosopher

befor adam God and the devil had no problems (I even heard he was his favourite) But the devil got jealous of adam and disobayed God and was punished an angel who's wings got clipt so from wich perspective you're going to see this.

Accualy we are the ones who are evil according to the devil.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 12:33

'good' and 'bad' are, in my opinion, contracts man use to define his likes/dislikes, advantages/disatvantages.

Edited by gok_toruk - 20-Sep-2006 at 12:35
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:45
Originally posted by xi_tujue

befor adam God and the devil had no problems (I even heard he was his favourite) But the devil got jealous of adam and disobayed God and was punished an angel who's wings got clipt so from wich perspective you're going to see this.

Accualy we are the ones who are evil according to the devil.

well acually, Lucifer wasn't jelouse of Adam, what happened is Lucifer was Gods favorite, but he became jelouse of God, feeling that is was he who should have all the power, and then he led a revolt and was kicked out from heaven by God, taking 1/3 of heavans angels with him.     
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 16:48
well, if you think about it, the christians may be trying to make our nation "morally correct" but you cannot say that murder, rape, theft, and fraud ect.... ARE morally correct, thus, you may not have to believe in the christian perspective of God or anything to agree.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 17:27

Some call capital punishment murder, some don't. Some call abortion murder, some don't. Some call political assassination murder, some don't. Some call them holy warriors, some call them terrorists. Some call it the war on terrorism, some call it terrorism itself.

Sometimes things are not as black and white as it seems. The only thing that is certain is uncertainty.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 17:30

well acually, Lucifer wasn't jelouse of Adam, what happened is Lucifer was Gods favorite, but he became jelouse of God, feeling that is was he who should have all the power, and then he led a revolt and was kicked out from heaven by God, taking 1/3 of heavans angels with him.     

Throw in amnesia, evil twins, and some sex, you get a perfect storyline for a daytime soap there. Wink

Edited by flyingzone - 22-Sep-2006 at 17:37
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 00:13
i understand that you are an athiest flyingzone, but i am just saying what the book says, perhaps you should read it somtime, if you think i'm wrong about it.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 14:14

What is "the book" you are talking about? You mean the "Bible"? Philo, you know SO LITTLE about me. Many forumers here know that I was a devout Christian before I became an atheist. My father was an Anglican minister and I grew up in a Baptist church where my mom is still a leader and where I had been an active member until I started acquiring the ability to think independent.

I have read the Bible from cover to back at least 5 times. Yes, even the incredibly boring books such as Numbers and Leviticus.

And if you are referring to "other books", just FYI, I do read a lot. I am a college professor. How old are you anyway? Wink

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 15:30
I think he said he was 15 in another thread. So he has alot of time to decide what he wants to believe in life. As long as you open your mind, you will always find what feels right.
I'm still waiting for the day a god talks to me so I can become a believer.Big smile
But for now I'm stuck as a athiest.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Samurai
Samurai

Quote The Philosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 17:36
yes i am 15, but flyingzone, that just means that i have learned somthing today right??
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 19:36

If there is something to learn from this conversation, it's not really who I am that is important at all. How about not calling the Christian bible "the book"? Philo, you have to understand that you are living in an exceptionally "religious" country that is quite unlike most other countries in the world. Depending on where you are, "the book" may mean the Koran, or "Das Kapital", or "The Interpretation of Dreams", or "Sun Tzu's Military Strategy".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>