Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what did Genghis khan speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what did Genghis khan speak
    Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 14:30
Genghis khan one of the greatest generals of the world the punishment of God.

what kind of language did he speak I heard that he spoke some kind of turkic is this true
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 15:36
Its not really clear, and there are not many sources about it. I think it was turkic, cause it was a language that most people did speak back then.
Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen lr kalan sağlar bizimdir!
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 17:45
Since Cengiz Han was a Mongol I think we should just assume he spoke a Mongol language.  I heard he was a Buryat Mongol, so he probably spoke that Mongol dialect.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 17:51
Cengiz Han probaly spoke some Mongol dialect from the tribe which he came from.
Urungu Han View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Urungu Han Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 03:57

People know that his mother was Turk friend,his mother could be teached him Turkish.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 12:26
Originally posted by Feramez

Since Cengiz Han was a Mongol I think we should just assume he spoke a Mongol language.  I heard he was a Buryat Mongol, so he probably spoke that Mongol dialect.
His probable birthplace is now inhabitated by Buryats, but that doesn't mean that he was a Buryat himself.

If we'd judge from the script he had introduced, wouldn't he have spoken something closer to modern-day Inner Mongolian dialects?

Edited by yan. - 25-Jul-2006 at 12:26
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by Urungu Han

People know that his mother was Turk friend,his mother could be teached him Turkish.

if jis mother was turk he must have spoken turkic language because his father was killed when he was young
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 18:30

"Chinggis Stone Inscription"

In 1818. Russian scholar L. N. Spaski, while studying Russias ancient history in Siberia, discovered an inscribed stone monument near the Kharhiraa River, in what is now the Chita province of Russia. The inscription was carved in the ancient Mongolian script. At the time of the discovery, Spaski thought that the findings belonged to the Kuandai Ruins of ancient, Siberian Russia, not realising that the monument would amount to invaluable testimony of the Mongolian people, Mongolian Language and Mongolian culture of writing.

It was not until after the monument was taken to St. Petersburg breaking into two pieces along the way in 1832 that real research began on the artefact. From that time on, the stone monument became known as "Chinggiss Stone Inscription", because the words "Chinggis Khaan" are the first two carved upon it. Some scholars call it "Yesunkheis (Esunhe) Stone Inscription" Yesunkhei was one of Chinggis Khaans nine generals because the meaning of the inscription concerns his achievement in archery. In the year of his discovery, Spaski transcribed the five lines of script on the stone. Mongolian history scholars Schmidt and B. Dorj attempted to make out the words on the monument from 1833 to 1848, but were unsuccessful due to the time-worn conditions of the inscription.

I. N. Klukin was also unable to read the monuments more illegible marks.

One hundred and forty-four years after Spaskis discovery, Mongolian archeologist and scholar Kh. Perlee interpreted todays accepted reading of the monument and corrected the mistaken transcriptions of previous scholars.

The inscription can be explained in the following way:

- "Chinggis hagan-i Sartagul irgen daguliju hamug Monggol Ulus un arad-i Bukha Cotsihai hurigsan tur Esunhe Hongodorun gruban jagud guchin tabun alda dur ontudlu-ga"

It can be translated into modern Mongolian language in following way:

-" Chinggis Haan Sartuul irgeniig daguulj buuj Hamag Mongol Ulsiin ard Buhai Sochihaid hursand Esunge Chongodorun gurban zuun guchin tavan (335) aldad onoloo"

It can translated into English in following way: -"After Chinggis Khaan conquered the Sartuul Dynasty [in Central Asia] in 1224, all Mongolian lords met on the Bukha-Sojikhai steppe. There, Yesunkhei, with a bow and arrow, hit a target from a 335-arm-span distance"

The original monument is now kept in the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia. In 1998, Mongolian sculptors created a likeness of the original monument for the Mongolian National Museum in Ulaanbaatar.

Some note:

- Sartuul is mongol name for Khoresm.

- By modern estimates, a one-arm-span length is just over 1.6 metres a total distance of 335 arm-span is over 535 metres. This is one proof that Mongol archery was superior at that time.

- It was found not far from a site that formed part of the territory of Esunhe. Esunhe (1190-1270) was the son of Hasar and a confidant of his uncle Genghis Khan, carrying out secret missions for the Great Khan. Later he was a close associate of other Mongol khans - Ogedei (1186-1241), Mungke (1208-1270) and Kubilai (1215-1294)

- Immortalised as "Chinggis Stone Inscription", the writing is significant in Mongolian history, for it represents the long-held orthographic "custom" or "rule of respect" used in old Mongolian script and in Mongolian language. The rule is that the names of leaders and lords always preface, as it were, poems and literature. The fact that Chinggis Khaans name appears first in the inscription shows that the rule has been in place for well over 800 years, if not longer.

----------------------------------------------- I believe this is proof that Chinggis Khaan spoke Mongolian language first. You guys who say he spoke turkic should come up with some solid facts. Without facts and evidence, your argument is just another BLAH BLAH BLAH

Edited by Zorigo - 26-Jul-2006 at 11:12
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 04:24
Originally posted by Urungu Han

Show me source where it is written that his mother is Turk ?
SaikhaNBayar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote SaikhaNBayar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 10:17
Originally posted by yan.

His probable birthplace is now inhabitated by Buryats, but that doesn't mean that he was a Buryat himself.

If we'd judge from the script he had introduced, wouldn't he have spoken something closer to modern-day Inner Mongolian dialects?

No, he was born in northern Khetnii, place called Deluun boldog. Why is it inhabited by Buryats?

Edited by SaikhaNBayar - 26-Jul-2006 at 10:19
The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State. 2006
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 10:40
wasnt he  khalkhala?
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 14:14
it is not important what he was ,but he definitely spoke TURKIC. If you dont agree then show a reliable source indicating he spoke mongolian. His army mainly consisted of turks , so its logical he spoke turkic. It could also be he spoke turkic and mongolian ( if there was a difference between themConfused)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 14:42
Originally posted by Afsar Beghi

it is not important what he was ,but he definitely spoke TURKIC. If you dont agree then show a reliable source indicating he spoke mongolian. 

Here you are. Reliable source indicating that he spoke Mongol language.
This inscription in "Chinggiss Stone Inscription", It was written after Chinggis Khaan conquered Khoresm and returned homeland in 1223 он.

- "Chinggis hagan-i Sartagul irgen daguliju hamug Monggol Ulus un arad-i Bukha Sotsihai hurigsan tur Esunhe Hongodorun gurban jagud guchin tabun alda dur ontudlu-ga"

If you find anything in turkic language, let me know  

Edited by Zorigo - 26-Jul-2006 at 15:40
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 14:50
do you think youre funny, playtime is over kid.
A picture is not a source without explanation.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 15:07

get your explanation above 2 posts.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 15:25
that script is called turkic script not orkun but turkic the turks if I'm not wrong got it from the armenians and the armeniams got it from the persians thats just persian script verticaly. the mongolians had no script all the "paperwork" was done by turks.
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 15:32
dude it was based on the sogdian alphabet, (The Sogdian alphabet is derived from Syriac, the descendant script of the Aramaic alphabet, WIKI)
But this theory could be wrong too.
And dont believe everything you read , armenians have nothing to do with this.

Edited by Afsar Beghi - 26-Jul-2006 at 15:33
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 15:50
Originally posted by Zorigo

get your explanation above 2 posts.

dude that script is based on the Uigarjin Mongolian script, which is also known as the uyghur script, which was turkic (this is a fact!).LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 17:20

[QUOTE=Zorigo][QUOTE=Afsar Beghi]do you think
dude that script is based on the Uigarjin Mongolian script, which is also known as the uyghur script, which was turkic (this is a fact!).LOL
Yes. we all know Chinggis khaan got Uigur scholar Tatatunga who tought Mongols to become literate. Since then it is called Old Mongol script.

I thought , we were discussing about language.
I sorry to say that I started to doubt your ability to carry on normal discussion.

Edited by Zorigo - 26-Jul-2006 at 17:23
Ave1 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ave1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2006 at 18:40
According to the book "The Mongols" written by David Morgan, if I am not mistaken, the language he spoke is an archaic form of Mongolian that still survives (although close to extinction) in portions of westen Afghanistan, notably the city of Herat.  The language, the author referred to is called "Nikudari" which was named after the popular Mongol general, Neguder. 

The language Nikudari is synonymous with Mogholi and I believe there are only about 300 speakers left, most of whom, live in the above mentioned town in the outskirts of Herat, Afghanistan.

"Not one American Christian in a hundred realizes that if he lived in Israel, he would be the victim of official discrimination forced...to carry an identification card" - Joseph Sobran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>