Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 128>
Author
Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 28-Jul-2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by nomooon

Originally posted by Tiger of Kai

There's no way Ieyasu should be ranked higher than Nobunaga or Hideyoshi.

yeah the list of japanese commanders is rediculous, hideyoshi and ieyasu are not even top tier commanders in Sengoku Era.  Uesugi, Takeda, Hojo, Sanada and Mori all have produced better top tier commanders than the two unifiers

I don't really have a problem with Hideyoshi being ranked. His consolidation of power was an amazing feat. Not to mention his conquest of Kyushu. Of course, the Korean Invasions are a black mark on his record.

I wouldn't include the Sanada with the likes of the Takeda, Uesugi, Hojo and Mori. While they were an important family, for the most part, they were vassals of the Takeda or Toyotomi. I would probably add the Shimazu to the families that you have listed.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2010 at 01:22
Anyone hear of Karadorde petrovic?

an Interesting quote form someone we all know,

"On the question who is the greatest military leader, French emperor Napoleon answered: "It is easy for me to be great, with our experienced army and great resources, but, far in the south, on the Balkans, there is a man, coming from a simple people, that by gathering his cattleman with no weapons he attempted to shake the basis of an allmighty Ottoman empire and in the same way free his enslaved people". - That is black George and to him does the glory of the greatest military leaders belong."

i think its interesting since I didnt notice this guy to be on the list...
Odhinn View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Odhinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2010 at 20:10
Seems more a list of prominence than generalship.  Alexander, for example, was a magnificent figure and leader, but didn't have a good enough bull to ride in Cyrus to get a good score. No way I'd put Lee over Stonewall--again, a magnificent man, very pretty, but basically got in over his head at Antietam and at the Wilderness, not to mention Pickett's Charge, still, a fine gentleman.  I don't see Rommel in the top 1000 (yes, that's one thousand) of all time.  He was a good division level tank commander, and like Alexander, Monty wasn't all that great a bull.  There is actually a memo either to or from Goebbels, I think--I can't exactly recall, where they dictate that they will make Rommel into a hero through the propaganda machine.  As for Ghengis Khan, it wasn't him--he had several unbelievable generals--who used explosive missles, diverted rivers to destroy walled strongholds, and other incorporations of the diverse technology they had picked up.  Now if you want to include THOSE at the top, I vote yes.    For modern, I'd probably go with Napoleon, Stonewall, maybe  Swartzkopf, or whoever was the mastermind behind D.S.   As for Patton, he really didn't have much of a challenge, he was superbly supplied in men and armor, although he did push his fuel on occasion.  I guess that is the most lopsided enemy casualty vs enemy inflicted casualty ratio I know of--it dwarfs The Battle of New Orleans.  Zukhov was also more than just brutal and fear-instilling; he was a smart dude.   Ancient, I like Hannibal, since he proved himself against a lot of real competition.  I'm sure Alexander would have proven good to, given the  opportunity.  Probably only the "Great" generals peers knew how good they were or weren't.
ERH
nomooon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote nomooon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2010 at 13:05

Originally posted by nomooon

There's no way Ieyasu should be ranked higher than Nobunaga or Hideyoshi.

yeah the list of japanese commanders is rediculous, hideyoshi and ieyasu are not even top tier commanders in Sengoku Era.  Uesugi, Takeda, Hojo, Sanada and Mori all have produced better top tier commanders than the two unifiers

I don't really have a problem with Hideyoshi being ranked. His consolidation of power was an amazing feat. Not to mention his conquest of Kyushu. Of course, the Korean Invasions are a black mark on his record.

I wouldn't include the Sanada with the likes of the Takeda, Uesugi, Hojo and Mori. While they were an important family, for the most part, they were vassals of the Takeda or Toyotomi. I would probably add the Shimazu to the families that you have listed.

I felt Hideyoshi was a decent commander, but probably not top-notch enough like the other more legendary figures.  He made spectacular retreats, but battles he'd won were not against tough competition.   Shimazu was a decent family also, I overlooked them because I was searching from daimyos from the central part of Japan where dominance over the entire land was decided.
felixmt View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote felixmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2010 at 12:23
Check out the debate on Greatest military commander of all time here:

experts arguing the case for Washington, Alexander the Great, Otto Von Bismarck, Augustus Caesar and many more!
GovnaWatts View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote GovnaWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2010 at 23:57
Erwin Rommel deserves a higher position, lets be real guys
GovnaWatts View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote GovnaWatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2010 at 23:59
Amen
mynoon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote mynoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2011 at 17:58
Where is Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington? you have Napoleon 3rd. Fair enough but Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington was the one who broke into France and who stopped Napoleon the 2nd time. So why is he not at least in the top 10 and he was way better than John Churchill, who is not even the greatest man in his family.
mynoon View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote mynoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2011 at 17:58
I agree
MillerA View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MillerA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2011 at 21:02
Intersting.
Travis Congleton View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Travis Congleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2011 at 10:00
Originally posted by felixmt

Check out the debate on Greatest military commander of all time here:

experts arguing the case for Washington, Alexander the Great, Otto Von Bismarck, Augustus Caesar and many more!
Wow.  Please take no offense, but that's a horrible website.  Their efforts to discuss this subject matter is awful.  At best, a weak effort.
"If you study science deep enough and long enough it will force you to believe in God."
xveys View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote xveys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2011 at 04:32

You didn't include many Oriental Generals.

generals like 朱元璋 and 卫青 should be ranked on the list

Edited by xveys - 05-Apr-2011 at 04:35
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2011 at 04:52

Would you please give their English name equivelents that i might research them?

And welcome to the forum. 

thanks

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 05-Apr-2011 at 04:53
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Tiger of Kai View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tiger of Kai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2011 at 11:36
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Would you please give their English name equivelents that i might research them?

And welcome to the forum. 

thanks

My Chinese isn't as good as my Japanese, but I think he's referring to Zhu Yuanzhang, who was an Emperor of China and Wei Qing, who was a strategist of the Han dynasty.
Survival View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Survival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 14:58
How is Alexander the Great who maybe could have conquered most of the known world at that time a better General than Temujin who did Conquer most of the world known at his time.
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Galleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Apr-2011 at 15:02
Jan Zizka and Robert E. Lee are one of the top best! Thumbs Up
shikra View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote shikra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2011 at 11:03
Temujin should be number 1 in my opinion.
 I also did not notice General Ban Chao of the Han Dynasty.

Edited by shikra - 27-May-2011 at 11:03
Hachimantaro View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hachimantaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2011 at 19:59
Hmm.

The list has the right names on them, but i disagree with some of the rankings. Example being,  Napoleon above Hannibal and Khalid ibn al Walid. That just doesnt seem right to me.
Michael Mckean View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Michael Mckean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 14:18
Yeah I'd have to sya Alexander the Great as #1.  I definitely think William Wallace should be in with a shout Cry
The sun never sets on the British Empire
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2012 at 14:26
As usual with these questions..... it is entirely era contextual and who were their contemporaries, adversaries and or even allies.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 128>